• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

I was able to get 6/15 matches today in HOTS for the Genji Skin. I'm going to tackle getting the other games later, as the game is tedious as hell.

Are you playing with a friend. I thought the wording implied you have to play in a group with someone on your friends list.

G7zfm7z.png

in b4 you animals complain that the asses aren't fat enough

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
So ult charges now need 25% more to charge, but Mei needs an additional 15% on top of that?

GG Mei players.

in b4 you animals complain that the asses aren't fat enough

Why would we, that's not Widowmaker

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Great, now I won't have a heart attack every time I hear "I AM UNSTOPPABLE"

You have to admit even if you were on the other side of that it was pretty cool. Reinhardt was like a really fast linebacker running straight towards you.

Aw my boi Lucio got a healing nerf. ):

I feel 2500+ rank calls for a bigger need to team up with players you can communicate with. Oh well, still going solo I made it this far by myself so I'll continue like this.

matmanx1

Mercy says "My servants never die" with her Witch Mercy skin now. All is right with the world now <3

Bless you Blizzard.

Yay, thank you Blizzard!

This is a prevailing thought in the OW community and I think it's heavily flawed for a couple of reasons.

One, no matter how people try to dress it up, being bullied off of damage into the support role is demeaning. Hard supports in fps are, in my opinion, game design in bad faith. On the surface, having a character designed around utility and therefore having low damage output makes sense from a balance perspective. However, the underlying game design intent behind these characters seems to be that they are low skill ceiling classes you can shuffle the noober kaboobers to while the big boys do all the work. For the early Overwatch twitch scene, the most infamous pairing was the Seagull + Shayde combo where he had a mercy health hose attached to his ass 24/7. Not once that I saw in these Seagull streams did he do a reach around and pocket Shayde while she carried. There's a clear power dynamic here that was honestly kind of uncomfortable to watch. Seagull getting bathed in healing juice and looking like a shiny golden god while Shayde screeched and suffered didn't exactly sell anyone on the "joys" of supporting.

The second problem is that despite these healer type of characters being made with weaker players in mind, deathmatch skills are still important to play them well. Positioning, ability use, and decision making are all skills you have to learn to play any arena shooter well. Harbleu a current overwatch pro was a fan favorite TF2 pro back in the day for his wild style on the "roaming soldier" role. At a later point he transitioned to medic and instantly became one of the best medics if not THE best medic in TF2. The ease in which he did this embarrassed a lot of "medic mains" but the reasons why were obvious. The skills to deathmatch properly gave him the raw mechanics to survive, and being aware what a damage dealer needs to do to win gave him the knowledge to facilitate and support what his carries needed. In other words, the best way to learn how to support is to learn how to carry.

The shit hits the fan where these issues intersect. To be a good support you need good mechanics and decision making you learn from playing fps games in a conventional way, meaning shooting people in the first person in a first person shooter. However, these hard supports are completely unattractive to these kinds of people, because of their limited skill ceiling and impact. One of the reasons why you'll see dps players play Ana and to a certain extent zenyatta, but you won't see them hot to trot to play lucio or mercy. Playing lucio for me is complete torture, but at the same time seeing an idiot play lucio and mismanaging everything is even more torture. Lucio's sound barrier and his speed boost and just his cooldown management in general is too important to leave in the hands of a doofus. At the same time at the end of the day he's literally just an aura that wiggles around and hopes to be carried.

Excellent post. Agree 100%.

While I agree with most of what you say, you also have to consider that there are plenty of players who want to play low damage utility characters such as Mercy or Lucio. I even remember one particular GAFer posting on here in one of the earlier OTs that they only play Mercy because they like how she plays, and couldn't imagine playing DPS or tank.
There are dedicated support players, and forcing them to play a DPS class, or even a hybrid class of DPS and utility such as Zenyatta, would more likely push them away from playing entirely.

In other words: While you are right in many aspects, the fact of the matter is that if you shoehorn the capability of dealing damage into every character, you will not only get less variety in the characters, you'll also alienate a chunk of your playerbase - the ones that don't want to play DPS heroes.

It is indeed true that playing DPS or tank heroes will help you improve your gameplay as a support player, but let's be honest here: Anyone who only plays one specific class/character is likely not going to be particularly competitive, or try to compete at high levels.
Almost every pro player will have characters in other roles they can play in case they have (or want) to. Just about every pro Overwatch player I've seen has a pocket Ana or Zenyatta and a pocket tank - usually Roadhog or Winston. Just about every pro player also plays Mei.

I've only had the game for a week and just hit level 20 so still have 5 more levels until competitive, but i seem to be doing well in quick play. I just want some decent peoples to play alongside to get the most out of the game.

I just added you. I mostly play comp but will be happy to do some arcade/qp when the season is over. I say it every post, but as a PS4 player don't be afraid to mic up and speak up every match. Makes a world of difference.

Oh yeah and it pissed people off. I guess back when the game was young people didn't know you had to focus the turrets. It was so easy to carry teams with him in my experience.

Torb's turrets used to regularly get gold elims. I always found him to be an interesting character, especially with the armor mechanic. I hope the buff brings him into play more often.

I wish the patch landed this AM. Tonight my wife and kids are all out of the house. Very rare for me to be able to play pre 10pm.

This is a prevailing thought in the OW community and I think it's heavily flawed for a couple of reasons.

One, no matter how people try to dress it up, being bullied off of damage into the support role is demeaning. Hard supports in fps are, in my opinion, game design in bad faith. On the surface, having a character designed around utility and therefore having low damage output makes sense from a balance perspective. However, the underlying game design intent behind these characters seems to be that they are low skill ceiling classes you can shuffle the noober kaboobers to while the big boys do all the work. For the early Overwatch twitch scene, the most infamous pairing was the Seagull + Shayde combo where he had a mercy health hose attached to his ass 24/7. Not once that I saw in these Seagull streams did he do a reach around and pocket Shayde while she carried. There's a clear power dynamic here that was honestly kind of uncomfortable to watch. Seagull getting bathed in healing juice and looking like a shiny golden god while Shayde screeched and suffered didn't exactly sell anyone on the "joys" of supporting.

The second problem is that despite these healer type of characters being made with weaker players in mind, deathmatch skills are still important to play them well. Positioning, ability use, and decision making are all skills you have to learn to play any arena shooter well. Harbleu a current overwatch pro was a fan favorite TF2 pro back in the day for his wild style on the "roaming soldier" role. At a later point he transitioned to medic and instantly became one of the best medics if not THE best medic in TF2. The ease in which he did this embarrassed a lot of "medic mains" but the reasons why were obvious. The skills to deathmatch properly gave him the raw mechanics to survive, and being aware what a damage dealer needs to do to win gave him the knowledge to facilitate and support what his carries needed. In other words, the best way to learn how to support is to learn how to carry.

The shit hits the fan where these issues intersect. To be a good support you need good mechanics and decision making you learn from playing fps games in a conventional way, meaning shooting people in the first person in a first person shooter. However, these hard supports are completely unattractive to these kinds of people, because of their limited skill ceiling and impact. One of the reasons why you'll see dps players play Ana and to a certain extent zenyatta, but you won't see them hot to trot to play lucio or mercy. Playing lucio for me is complete torture, but at the same time seeing an idiot play lucio and mismanaging everything is even more torture. Lucio's sound barrier and his speed boost and just his cooldown management in general is too important to leave in the hands of a doofus. At the same time at the end of the day he's literally just an aura that wiggles around and hopes to be carried.

I think part of the reason I really was digging mystery heroes a lot over the last week was that it sidestepped the whole support issue, when things are up to a roulette no one can pressure someone into healing!

Lucio was one of my least used characters prior to season 2 and yet in season 2 he's been my second most used character because I was pretty determined to solo queue myself up to diamond, mercifully I did it so I cooled it on pumping up beats as of late but damn could it be tedious playing Lucio.
It's funny though because in general I love the idea of a support character role, Zenyatta is my most played character offering a nice mix of offense and support but people will cry foul immediately when the obligatory sole healer isn't Lucio or Mercy on console at least and that's kind of a massive drag.

It's like there's a fundamental flaw here with how they've handled the various healers, I'm thinking it may have actually been better off if they were more universal in being a solid mix of healing and some offensive capabilities like Zen and Ana present because otherwise you can get pressured into that pure heal role which can grate faster than any other role in the game, that and just because Mercy does lots of heals doesn't mean its gonna be better for the team than if I were using Zen or Ana but eh, that's how it goes I guess.

I've admittedly kind of lost track of where I was going with this.

NeoRaider

So when can we expect new map? I forgot.
December? Or at the end of this month.

BTW. Already bought skin, intro and spray for Queen Sombra!

Hmm. I don't care at all for genji, but I kinda want to have all the items for the hero's. Descisions decisions.

Given how you probably won't get all the items for all the heroes makes it an easier decision.

Missing out on Season 1 top 500 sprays makes the whole get 100% mindset thrown out of the window.

matmanx1

I just tried to log into HotS and it keeps giving me a server error and asking me to create an account. That's weird. I've played HotS before although its been a while back.

Overwatch loads up just fine though through the same launcher.

AngryMoth

What do you guys think about the usefulness of speed boost in solo queue games? I know it is considered maybe the strongest ability in the pro scene but I have healing on most of the time when I play Lucio because it's much easier to see that I'm having an impact on the game

Dreavus

Hmm. I don't care at all for genji, but I kinda want to have all the items for the hero's. Descisions decisions.

I entertained this notion briefly, but then I think of that Bastion blizzcon skin and the exclusives from the events and just thought "nah".

Syf

Banned
Couple tips for you guys if you want to just steamroll the HotS games. Set it to co-op vs AI on beginner, all push one lane. If you have a Sgt. Hammer and/or Sylvanas in your group it'll be a lot easier too. Sylv can disable defenses and Hammer can siege up and hit structures from range. If you have any AI teammates, ping them with G + left click to have them follow you.

eek5

Couple tips for you guys if you want to just steamroll the HotS games. Set it to co-op vs AI on beginner, all push one lane. If you have a Sgt. Hammer and/or Sylvanas in your group it'll be a lot easier too. Sylv can disable defenses and Hammer can siege up and hit structures from range. If you have any AI teammates, ping them with G + left click to have them follow you.

how much time per game?

Top Bottom