• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

1v1 is actually way more fun than I expected, didn't know it was random mirror matches

3v3 was cool too. Overall I just love that Antarctica map. Feels like a classic deathmatch level

Still enjoying Sombra when I get to play as her, she was the last character picked in the 1v1 match I played. Ended up working out pretty hilariously

Do the two free weekends carry the same stats for folks that never bought the game?

For example, say a person got to level 15 during the first free weekend. Would they start at 15 for the second free weekend too?

Just curious, a lot more people might hit level 25 and try competition for the first time. The fabled "Weekend Overwatch" is going to be nuts this weekend.

Any chance of this being on sale on the PS4 store during the free weekend? It's still £55 which is a bit much.

Not during this weekend but I would be surprised if it didn't go on sale at some point soon. If it doesn't go on sale during Thanksgiving weekend (Currently on sale on XBL), I bet it goes on sale during the first week of December because of The Game Awards and PSX

Veelk

Banned
Seems much less annoying nowadays. One of the few characters who has always been viable but also never been changed. I think she is finally starting to feel left behind.

Unless health stats change, I don't really get how Reaper or Tracer will ever get left behind. Their strength lies in blowing their enemies faces away from close range. Reaper does it through ghosting, Tracer through speed. The most I see is that Sombra's passive ability of detecting enemies (why does she have that again) offers more situational awareness to the team, but that's it.

Unless health stats change, I don't really get how Reaper or Tracer will ever get left behind. Their strength lies in blowing their enemies faces away from close range. Reaper does it through ghosting, Tracer through speed.

It is overall much harder to flank now. Supports have never been more tough to kill. Pulse bomb charges slow and isn't even a guaranteed kill on tanks if you stick them, if you get behind a Reinhardt and stick them all you've really done is give Ana a bunch of ult charge. Graviton is coming out much less (if Zarya is even getting picked), which was the main way to use pulse bomb Not even going into how good the new Dva and Soldier are against both Tracer and Reaper.

I'm not speaking for everyone, or even advocating for a buff, I'm just saying that as someone who has twice as much Tracer played than any other character, I'm not sure she'll be my top played for season 3.

hesido

Same thing happened to me, so I'll share what a fellow gaffer advised me:

Turn off the game and do something else. Play quick play if you fiending more OW, but stop playing competitive for a while.

Sometimes you could be titled and not even know it. Nowadays, I put a limit on myself where if I hit 3 losses in a session, I stop and come back later. It helped me climb to ranks I thought were beyond me reach. Also, right now the meta is in a flux, and Sombra is ruining everything. This season has no more salvation

That's damn right, I should stop playing season let alone play today.. But I don't want to leave it where I think I don't belong!

Veelk

Banned
It is overall much harder to flank now. Supports have never been more tough to kill. Pulse bomb charges slow and isn't even a guaranteed kill on tanks if you stick them, if you get behind a Reinhardt and stick them all you've really done is give Ana a bunch of ult charge. Graviton is coming out much less (if Zarya is even getting picked), which was the main way to use pulse bomb Not even going into how good the new Dva and Soldier are against both Tracer and Reaper.

I'm not speaking for everyone, or even advocating for a buff, I'm just saying that as someone who has twice as much Tracer played than any other character, I'm not sure she'll be my top played for season 3.

Well, yeah, I can see how the ult charge changes mix things up for them. Still, I think in terms of basic abilities, she'll still be good. It's a less Ult controlled game in general now, and that means playstyles have to shift.

Or faster charge.

I'd prefer that. 600 damage sounds terrifying.

Cappa

Banned
Any chance of this being on sale on the PS4 store during the free weekend? It's still £55 which is a bit much.
I got mine for 35 euro on Amazon.es it was listed as an Italian import
Yea, Antitrop and I thought we were only gonna do a few games through the week but the matches were so short and simple that we did it in 2 hours all at once. The only annoyance is the slowass MM.

Just put on some music/podcasts or youtube videos and just coast by on Beginner.

Come on dude, it'll take you like 2-3 hours at most. You can handle that long.
Man I played one game with a party of 5 they were like level 40s ans it felt like it took forever. I just felt like I was button mashing lol

I think Nihon is still the best Genji, but I only have it on my PS4 account, so I'll use Oni on PC.

At least Oni is a million times better than the "Young Genji" skins.

Yeah I think so too. Saw some videos of the skin yesterday, and while it looks really cool (better than the other legendaries), I still prefer the nihon.

It was sooo boring to me. I honestly don't know how can anyone enjoy it.

That move by Blizzard to lock one skin behind this is just ridiculous.

It's a really shitty move, and with such a cool skin too.

xCobalt

It doesn't feel like the ult charge nerf was too noticeable. I'm sure encounters last a bit longer but overall, it seems like a negligible change. Maybe it's just me though.

Veelk

Banned
FINALLY got Oni Genji. Going through HOTS folks was an ordeal.

Agreed. I'm sure it's a fine game for those who are into it, and it's not like I was taking the time to learn how to play it correctly, but it's just not the kind of game I'm into.

I actually like that Blizzard did this. It basically exposed me to a new experience that I would otherwise not have tried. In this case, it didn't work out, but I wouldn't be opposed whatsoever if they demanded we play a bunch of Starcraft matches to unlock a new D.Va skin. Who knows, maybe a third of the people who tried HotS found a new game to enjoy.

MrPanic

Bwahahaha, just lost a comp game, had all 5 gold medals from my team but lost a full 50sr for the loss anyway. I guess that lose streak from yesterday didn't wear off.

Lost over 300sr since the Sombra update, and can honestly say that most of those losses were caused by others. Either a horrible Sombra on the team or people just not caring about who they pick anymore, just getting a "fuck you" in chat after making a friendly suggestion for a character switch after a lost round. I haven't found a single friendly person in chat since the update, there's not a lot of talking on the eu servers anyways but there's usually some friendly banter going on. It's like everything turned to salt after the update. It's probably just bad luck but man, the game has been pretty unenjoyable lately.

edit: Welp, lost 56 points with the loss after, thought it was capped at 50 but apparently not. Really looked like it would be a easy win after the first round, but that was only because they had a Sombra first round that wised up and started to use real characters after that round.

edit2: Finally broke the lose streak. Finally got some people that were jolly (and possibly drunk) on the mic, I'd almost say it made all the difference.

Auctopus

Sorry to Cappa and Prelude. It's quite difficult to form a group from within a party it seems in HoTS.

I ended up getting with a decent group (finish matches in 2-3 minutes) and got the 15. To people who are looking to get Oni Genji, I recommend you just do what I was instructed to which is to ask for a group on the nexuschallenge channel.

I'd played HoTS before but I really enjoyed the short time I played tonight. It really feels good to play but I was playing easy AI, I imagine it's more frustrating against real players. The team I had were also extra friendly and talkative.

I'm probably gonna go get the 30 matches at some point. So, if anyone needs a buddy, let me know.

Dreavus

Seriously, is there anyone who was more interested in Heroes of the Storm after playing it for the Genji skin? Seems like everyone is just annoyed at the whole thing more than anything else, lol.

I actually enjoy that game quite a bit, it scratches that Dota itch for me nowadays, in addition to a ton of Blizzard fan service, which is pretty great tbh.

FAKE EDIT: Damnit Auctopus you're proving more wrong before I even finish my post!

Prelude.

Alright, did my 30 matches in HotS.

If you want to get them done fast, join the nexus challenge channel ("/join nexuschallenge" in the chat) and tick the "looking for a party" box thing so you can have 5 people ready and don't have to wait for the matchmaking. If anyone has Sylvanas, ask them to use her because her basic attacks stun structures, minions, and mercenaries so you can just push through everything all at once. If they don't, still go in with a full party since it's faster.
Seriously, is there anyone who was more interested in Heroes of the Storm after playing it for the Genji skin? Seems like everyone is just annoyed at the whole thing more than anything else, lol.

I actually enjoy that game quite a bit, it scratches that Dota itch for me nowadays, in addition to a ton of Blizzard fan service, which is pretty great tbh.

FAKE EDIT: Damnit Auctopus you're proving more wrong before I even finish my post!
I like it, but I didn't start the game grinding like a madman for the skin like most people, I started playing when they announced it at blizzcon and learned how to play naturally. I can see someone getting burned out immediately if they don't understand how the game/characters work if they try to push 15 matches on the first day. Also, taking a few minutes to try new characters helps with the "clicking". I went from Raynor, since it was the hero the tutorial used, which is a pretty straightforward character, to Valla, and seeing that movement abilities are a thing helped me see the game in a new light.
Sorry to Cappa and Prelude. It's quite difficult to form a group from within a party it seems in HoTS.
It's fine, there's still plenty of people in that channel. You can get a full group in seconds.

Prelude.

Oh and I forgot, they did remove Torb's PTR ability to generate scrap before the match starts. I said it was weird and looked like an oversight since nothing goes up in that phase.

It's funny how the patch has totally destroyed any sort of idea of an ideal team comp (at least for me and at least on PS4). I can see so many 'unideal' picks and not even be mad, Blizzard should really have waited for comp to finish in all honesty, though these new game modes + Sombra are great fun I must say.

Also in regards to Zarya while it's longer to charge. it definitely feels like I can hit more often and at more greater ranges somehow.

First time I get nanoboosted as Soldier I got a quintuple kill. Dude's OP. Got 57 elims on Gibraltar and we rolled through the whole map twice. This is the second time I've played Soldier in comp this season and I never play him in quick play either lol

As a fellow Tracer main, I totally see where you're coming from. You definitely have to work harder these days with her. I'm not sure if she's going to be my most played for Season 3 either. You can definitely still do work with her. I actually had my career high in damage with her yesterday on Lijiang (~31,000), but I think I'll feel more useful to my team in this meta on Soldier/Reaper/Cree/Genji.

I think they should buff pulse bomb a bit especially since we're seeing a lot less Zarya in pub play.

Still lost that match 3-2 because the Pharah on our team was awful and our Zarya kept getting her graviton ate by D.Va smh

Fancolors

It's funny how the patch has totally destroyed any sort of idea of an ideal team comp (at least for me and at least on PS4). I can see so many 'unideal' picks and not even be mad, Blizzard should really have waited for comp to finish in all honesty, though these new game modes + Sombra are great fun I must say.

Also in regards to Zarya while it's longer to charge. it definitely feels like I can hit more often and at more greater ranges somehow.

They changed the way her beam ticks damage, so it became a lot more reliable. Zarya's damage is lower on raw numbers, and yet was buffed in the end.

nutella

Neo Member
Anyone around SR 3300-3600 want to group up? Add Grimble#1515. Getting real sick of droppers and racists ruining comp. Seems rampant this season, even in low Master tier.

They changed the way her beam ticks damage, so it became a lot more reliable. Zarya's damage is lower on raw numbers, and yet was buffed in the end.

Yh I feel she may be a trickier 'solo carry hero' now, but in a co-ordinated team she might be even better than she was before. I had a really awesome game with her earlier and it felt really great using her even at like 70 charge.

First time I get nanoboosted as Soldier I got a quintuple kill. Dude's OP. Got 57 elims on Gibraltar and we rolled through the whole map twice. This is the second time I've played Soldier in comp this season and I never play him in quick play either lol

As a fellow Tracer main, I totally see where you're coming from. You definitely have to work harder these days with her. I'm not sure if she's going to be my most played for Season 3 either. You can definitely still do work with her. I actually had my career high in damage with her yesterday on Lijiang (~31,000), but I think I'll feel more useful to my team in this meta on Soldier/Reaper/Cree/Genji.

I think they should buff pulse bomb a bit especially since we're seeing a lot less Zarya in pub play.

Still lost that match 3-2 because the Pharah on our team was awful and our Zarya kept getting her graviton ate by D.Va smh
In pretty much jumping on Soldier or Dva every time in comp unless I'm playing support. Just seems like the way to go.

Anyone else having troubles playing this today? I'm from EU (Portugal) and I can't play a single match, it starts normal but after a while my character stops moving and the game disconnects me. Already got penalized (75% exp for 2 games) and I'm pretty sure the problem is not on my end since everything's fine with my net and I played a bit of DSIII to test another game and it worked flawlessly.

I'm annoyed :\

Edit: from what I'm reading on the official forums this seems to happen frequently... fix this shit Blizz.

ISOM

I still need someone to play Hots with me to get the Genji skin. Anyone willing to do this or still need the skin?

Alucrid

Banned
While I understand the reason why they had to do it, it still sucks that you don't feel as powerful as before. Now you have no choice but to use the ult in close-quarter situations, as most of the characters (sans Genji or Winston) are too slow to properly utilize it.

Yeah, but it was way too strong before. I'm glad they adjusted ult build time, though. They are still available a lot, but I feel like it's made people really think about when they'll use it.

I'm also enjoying the Pharah changes. I feel like she's in a much better place versus Widowmaker, McCree and S76. They're still hard counters, but she's able to evade much more easily than she was before. She's always been one of my favorites, so I'm glad she got some adjustments, I hope she gets to keep them.

i'm fine with the length it takes to get. i just hate how instead of the ult being made so that you had to play better / smarter to get the most out of it blizzard decided to shrink the scope in which it can be used. would much rather have had nerfs across the board between damage/resistance/speed rather than cutting one off entirely.

i guess the best people to use it on now are 76 / mcree / roadhog with ults and reaper.

I still need someone to play Hots with me to get the Genji skin. Anyone willing to do this or still need the skin?

if you type /join nexuschallenge in the chat window it'll throw you into a chatroom with other people looking to do the same. i just joined a group and added them as a friend yesterday to finish it.

Top Bottom