• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Because I usually am that guy to fill in whatever role my team needs, this meta change has thrown me in a loop. I can't tell if my team comps are good or not anymore. The 2/2/2 concept seemed to have been lost on people, and it's not unusual to see teams running 1 tank/4 dps/1 healer and making it work in comp.

On a side note, anyone feels that Sombra should be a defense hero? I know she doesn't zone people, but she is seems to work better on defense. She and Hanzo should switch roles.
She definitely seems better on defense.

She seems pretty shitty at pushing a payload especially.

back from another ban (should have known to stay off topic after the influx of Trump voters last week, oh well), some scattered thoughts about the update

- soldier is really good, might even replace mccree but I just don't find the way his spread works fun to use
- pharah is better overall (maybe? I don't play as her much) but the nerfed knockback means it'll be arguably easier to counter her with a hitscan hero especially with the Soldier buff.
- sombra.... hacked health packs as is are fucking stupid. they last for a minute, almost instantly regen and can't even be overwritten. I expect at least one of those to be changed in the next patch. That being said maybe I just need more time to adapt because she does have to go to the same spot to be healed so idk, might be easier to counter than I'm thinking. additionally her emp taking down shield health is kinda silly, maybe like 50% or something but all of it means she basically insta-kills a zen. However playing with her is fun but not as satisfying as I would like because almost all of her actions have kind of a delay for balance reasons. Like going out of cloak is kinda delayed, hacking range/los is finnicky etc.
- zarya was hurt pretty badly overall. The buff to d.va, her direct nerf and her ult charge rate being super slow now are all pretty big detriments to her but she's still in the top half pretty easily. Shreds the most in team fights. I do hate that power overwhelming is almost impossible to get now however
- mercy change isn't as op as I was expecting. yeah it's annoying to fight one but she dies so quickly anyway that it's not a huge deal. focusing on her or a high dps character completely negates the buff
- torb buff is much needed, armor can be placed a lot more often and his turrets aren't an active detriment but he still needs work to be more viable
- D.va buff is pretty nice, very noticeable. She's gonna be godlike in KOTH now. I feel like her call mech recharges even faster than it did before the ult nerf (I know her call mech wasn't affected by it). However reddit mentioned quite a few bugs with her that I hope get ironed out. She may have replaced Zarya as my favorite tank.
- widow got a buff? Maybe, I don't know. I read she did but she sure seems useless to me as always. Disclaimer: console player
- Ana ult nerf isn't needed with the ult charge nerf imo. Like I get that a boosted Rein was near-unkillable but to do that he also needed to sacrifice his force barrier which would throw the team in to disarray sometimes and leave them open to flankers.
I just didn't think nanoboosting was OP, considering to excel it generally needed two ults (the boost itself and a whole hog/death blossom etc.). Now with the ult charge nerf it definitely isn't needed considering combining it is even rarer. Furthermore it's just less cool at this point. "Boost an allies' damage. Yay." Boooooooooooring. Before it was one of the few abilities that could boost speed.
- ult nerf overall is nice though, definitely better paced games where skill takes a higher focus
- 1v1 is kinda silly but can be fun depending on the hero in short bursts
- 3v3 was a neat idea but the way the comp is already abused means I've pretty much stopped playing it. It is nice having 1v1 duels at the end of a round though, that's pretty tense
- All the brawls in one playlist is ok, however there are still a few in there that will make me leave before they even start
- 1 HL in QP is a godsend, just wish they kept no limits under quick play so the XP nerf didn't affect it/you could still get achievements in it

However the biggest personal change to me and what I hate most is the change to Ana's sound effects. This is huge. The audio feedback for her biotic rifle was great and for some stupid fucking reason they changed it. I haven't noticed her voice line change for her ult yet but until they change her biotic rifle sound back I'm gonna keep playing as Zen. ugh. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Also played 5 HOTS games, awful lol

anyway I'm gonna be on playing QP/comp tonight on PS4 if anyone wanted to party up. ID is Psychoward23, just put GAF in the message.

also yeah they shouldn't have released sombra in comp until the intermission. If it was mid season I would understand, waiting over a month to release her in comp when she's finished would be dumb. But there's only like a week left of comp and they basically torpedoed the last part of the season by releasing a hero now. It makes no sense, they could have put her in all the other modes, release her in comp next week where there's still the comp ruleset but nobody has to worry about losing rewards or SR and she can be practiced.

I'm staying out of comp until season 3. It's a shitshow.

I also managed to get through 3 games of HOTS. Holy crap. I can't believe anything gets done in that interface. It's like the goddamn Steel Battalion controller but the buttons are made of jolly ranchers. No idea what's happening.

Can't believe I have to do that 5 more times if I want to get a skin for a character I never play (I will do it).

Things I do:

-Get annoyed at having a bad night in Overwatch, quit and turn off PS4
-Come on GAF, complain about Overwatch
-Watch some YouTube videos of people playing Overwatch
-Turn PS4 back on and play more Overwatch

Yup, Overbuff is weird with Sombra. I've only played her in one game but it says I'm 0-2 with her.

Guess they still need to work out a few kinks in the W-L ratio system.

Magnus

Someone educate me on why we regard most of the tank characters as tanks if they can't actually protect other characters. I mean, Reinhardt can, but the others? They feel like DPS to me. They just survive longer. How is D.Va a tank in terms of protecting others, for example?

Tracer probably needs a buff for her Ult.
yes 🙏

Been saying this for a while. Her ult just is not on the level of the other offence characters and I don't think her damage + mobility make up for all of that difference.
Someone educate me on why we regard most of the tank characters as tanks if they can't actually protect other characters. I mean, Reinhardt can, but the others? They feel like DPS to me. They just survive longer. How is D.Va a tank in terms of protecting others, for example?
Both DVa and Zarya have significant shielding capabilities, they just require more precision than rein and prioritise one team member rather than the whole lot. Winston also has his shield which can protect the team.

You've got me on roadhog tho, although I've seen it argued in this very thread that he is basically just a slow bulky DPS character.

I-hate-u

D.Va's defense matrix negates almost all projectile ults and she can scare away flankers harassing your fragile characters, like supports.

Miscounted my seasons, I'm an idiot
Whooo. Was worried for a second that I was going to be up all night playing more catchup :p
Nah, you already missed Season 3. We've all been playing Season 4 for a while now.
NAMgZAu.png

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Because DM is kind of ridiculous?

Not everything has to be "hurr durr big rectangle". DM is super versatile. You protect people from shots coming in from corners. You often shouldn't actually be Frontline tanking with your face, but follow someone and ensconce them in the dm because it extends out really far. She works just as well as a dive tank as Winston if not for the fact zarya exists.

AbaFadi

Banned

A good D.Va can block a lot of spam damage coming towards teammates, protect heroes like McCree and Pharah when they're using ult, and block a lot of ultimates. Zarya can shield teammates to block damage and save teammate's lives when hooked or any other killing shot, and cover them while they use ult. Winston's shield is used a lot for himself, but still technically blocks damage. Roadhog is just a big fat DPS.

you also have to keep in mind it's a shooter so a "tank" can only do so much

the very fact that tanks have high HP pools makes it so they're, well, tanky and can help secure objectives and whatnot

Kito

This is exactly me minus the complaint part. It's strange, I don't know why watching Overwatch compels me to play so much. I just want to be done with the game but YouTube won't let me.

also

1) what does healing sombra as mercy or zen do, can the enemy team see her or what

2) are we really not going to talk about ana's rifle sound being changed ;_;.

Gorillaz

Things I do:

it's as if I was staring in the mirror at myself

edit: I don't think they should have released sombra in the middle of a comp as well either.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
lol damn Sombra is too strong
won the last two matches thanks to her ult basically disabling the entire enemy team and allowing some serious carnage; thank god she was in our ranks

random thought: the bore when you start a match without Lucio's speed boost and you feel like you're navigating though a sea of molasses to point A

Yea, Dva doesn't play protect others? Wat??

DM is so versatile, it projects way out in front of you and works horizontally or head on. Sure Rein shield is more reliable but you can be way behind a teammate who is getting shredded and completely negate the damage from 10 meters away. It also eats ults, which is great.

I love launching into a teammate who just got hooked and eating the shotgun blast.

AbaFadi

Banned
Yea, Dva doesn't play protect others? Wat??

DM is so versatile, it projects way out in front of you and works horizontally or head on. Sure Rein shield is more reliable but you can be way behind a teammate who is getting shredded and completely negate the damage from 10 meters away. It also eats ults, which is great.

I love launching into a teammate who just got hooked and eating the shotgun blast.

If anyone wants to climb in comp with D.Va just learn how to use DM. I see so many D.Va's not use it and I can never understand why. I hit masters in the first two weeks of the season using only D.Va. I feel like a lot of the hate she got was just because people were not using her effectively.

Zarya does counter D.Va, but it's really only when she was high charge. A low charge Zarya struggles to kill a full health D.Va and people don't really seem to realize that.

Just played Sombra in Comp on Defense on Anubis and finally had a decent match with her - I definitely think I'll be better as her on Defense, especially on 2CP maps. It's easy to just kind of lock down an area and sneak around as her on defense.

Kito

also yeah they shouldn't have released sombra in comp until the intermission.

This a symptom of a wider issue - there are players just as unqualified to play existing heroes. I've had healer mains suddenly decide they would like to try DPS with zero time on offence heroes... payload never moves 1cm.

I'd like to perhaps see achievements act as a qualification for players to use hero X in comp.

AbaFadi

Banned
Just played Sombra in Comp on Defense on Anubis and finally had a decent match with her - I definitely think I'll be better as her on Defense, especially on 2CP maps. It's easy to just kind of lock down an area and sneak around as her on defense.

I've been hearing good things about Sombra on defense. Locking down the health packs is huge I think for the attacking side.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If anyone wants to climb in comp with D.Va just learn how to use DM. I see so many D.Va's not use it and I can never understand why. I hit masters in the first two weeks of the season using only D.Va. I feel like a lot of the hate she got was just because people were not using her effectively.

Zarya does counter D.Va, but it's really only when she was high charge. A low charge Zarya struggles to kill a full health D.Va and people don't really seem to realize that.

Problem is that it's stupid easy to high charge as zarya.

Might be better now with her nerfs. The tickrate buff for her beam might actually be in dvas favour i think? With how armour works. I might be wrong in that though.

AbaFadi

Banned
Problem is that it's stupid easy to high charge as zarya.

Might be better now with her nerfs. The tickrate buff for her beam might actually be in dvas favour i think? With how armour works. I might be wrong in that though.

I think it's hard for a lot of people to consistently have high charge as Zarya though. I haven't played enough of the new update to see how Zarya's beam works against D.Va now. I did play a few games of competitive as D.Va and was playing really well against top 500 Zarya's though (PS4), so the zarya nerf does seem to help D.Va be more effective.

This a symptom of a wider issue - there are players just as unqualified to play existing heroes. I've had healer mains suddenly decide they would like to try DPS with zero time on offence heroes... payload never moves 1cm.

I'd like to perhaps see achievements act as a qualification for players to use hero X in comp.

I mean that definitely is a problem but it's more exacerbated by the fact that Sombra came out

I'd hate achievements to become a gateway though considering some of them are BS

ohkay

Since win rates are back on overbuff, I see that my quick play win rate for Tracer and Genji are both ~60%. Why didn't I play them more in S2 comp? Guess I'm gonna stop playing a fill role in S3

Veelk

Banned
Does anyone else have trouble landing Genji's ults? I swear to god, I'm decent with him with all his other abilities, but the moment I get my sword out, I die instantly. I can't seem to get more than 1 kill with it at best. Everyone just turns their attention to me.

Edit: yeah, seriosuly guys, help me out here. I am decent with Genji except with his most OP weapon. How does that make any sense?

Gorillaz

Im not touching comp (complete shitshow right now) but a half decent sombra would destroy it right now literally nobody knows what to do about the character and only follow the 2/2/2 or whatever seagull says is good at the time

xaosslug

you haven't lived until you've DM'd from behind an S76/McCree/Reaper/Junkrat/Zen as they wreck a group of enemies, or DM and swallow Pharah's rain of death. xD

Top Bottom