• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Cappa

Banned
Cappa, Prelude and for anyone else. I'm free to help with the Nexus challenge tonight.
thanks... it felt like such a chore yesterday I didnt even bother after that 1 match we played together. If youre on tonight though Ill try to give it another shot.

Cappa

Banned
Someone educate me on why we regard most of the tank characters as tanks if they can't actually protect other characters. I mean, Reinhardt can, but the others? They feel like DPS to me. They just survive longer. How is D.Va a tank in terms of protecting others, for example?

A tank just means lots of HP/Armor, defenders and support players are actually more of the "protector" roles.

Tanks, just based on games throughout the years are slow moving players, with limited range that can take lots of damage. It doesnt necessarily mean they should protect others but in theory Tanks should be the ones on the "front line" with Attack players, than defenders, than Support players.

Greddleok

I also just moved in with my girlfriend. When I go on losing streaks I need to let of steam by swearing a lot and quitting the game for a while. I don't think she'd be so happy if I did that.

I'll just practice for now, then when next season rolls around I should be good to try again.

People play Junkrat on Attack so much they might as well make him an Offensive character.

Doesn't fit his skillset but fuck if that'll stop them from picking him.

I also just moved in with my girlfriend. When I go on losing streaks I need to let of steam by swearing a lot and quitting the game for a while. I don't think she'd be so happy if I did that.

I'll just practice for now, then when next season rolls around I should be good to try again.

It's hard to do when you're doing badly, but if you can manage to keep calm without having it in the back of your mind I think your way of playing/perspective changes for the better.

I've had so many rage moments from playing COD back in the day where bullshit happens and I'd get pissed and swear.

With this game, I've tried to think of it as not a big deal if someone gets the drop on me or outplays me. It just feels alot better. And this is me playing solo. Probably alot easier to feel this way when you're with friends.

This might sound like obvious stuff and people have said it over and over again, but I think this is the first game this has truly worked for me. Tried to do this in COD and has never worked as well.

Cappa

Banned
People play Junkrat on Attack so much they might as well make him an Offensive character.

The problem isnt that Junkrat is bad for attack. The problem is people who dont know how to utilize junkrat on attack, using him on attack.

One of our players in our GAF group is a junkrat main and its absolutely bonkers how good he is on attack with Junkrat, but I agree with you, our Junkrat is the exception to the rule. Most players using Junkrat on attack are just hurting their team.

Greddleok

It's hard to do when you're doing badly, but if you can manage to keep calm without having it in the back of your mind I think your way of playing/perspective changes for the better.

I'm actually usually good at stuff like that. I just sometimes need to let off steam. I think the main problem is that I don't have much time to play, so when I do I feel like I'm under a TON of pressure to have fun.

Seems super dumb.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I love the fact that we can now hack mei and she can't put up her wall. Finally that stupid mechanic has a reliable counter to it. Other than another mei.

haven't played this patch yet but to me it seems like she has one of the easier times to counter hack. An ability to break los and a spray weapon that had the same range as hack.

I'm actually usually good at stuff like that. I just sometimes need to let off steam. I think the main problem is that I don't have much time to play, so when I do I feel like I'm under a TON of pressure to have fun.

Seems super dumb.

Yeah I could see how not having much time to play affects you. It's hard to counteract the feeling of getting outplayed, but if it's something else like your team is trolling by doing stupid stuff or picking symm, I think a great way is just looking at getting small victories.

Might sound dumb but I see it all the time from MoonMoon. I think i saw him playing yesterday and he had a Symm on his team on a Payload map. In the end once he saw there was no chance he just tried getting sick charges/ults and having fun with the situation. In the end if something happens that's awesome, it'll probably stick in your mind more than the loss.

Me, Owzers, Nuno and a few others group up regularly what hours do you play? We had a six stack going last weekend and only stopped playing because they finally got me to diamond. :) I think we only lost our 1st game,drew the second and won the rest(I think 6 or 7).

We are a mix of EU/USA so when were usually all grouped at same time is on weekends.

Hopefully today too :)

I'd much rather have a full team than count on randoms, especially now with Sombra out there.

Cappa

Banned
Hopefully today too :)

I'd much rather have a full team than count on randoms, especially now with Sombra out there.

ill probably be on tonight after 1100pm , which I think is 1000pm in Portugal. We need to see how our group does after the patch.

Mei is just as popular.

Hi, thats me using Mei on Attack as well. :)

Before the patch our 6 stack was usually (Attack or defense) Junkrat, Mei, Lucio/Zenyatta, Pharah, Zarya, Reinhardt worked out pretty well. We would switch every now and again but our Junkrat was usually Junkrat attack or defense and I usually stuck with Mei.

We havent played together since the patch so I have no idea what our setup would be anymore.

Shredderi

I find Junkrat very good on attack in many maps. At least on the first point. Fuck your reinhardt shield and it forces everyone on the chokepoint to play more carefully lest they take massive random spam damage and deaths. Make the enemy recognize firing pattern and then start changing it up and create chaos behind the chokepoint.

ill probably be on tonight after 1100pm , which I think is 1000pm in Portugal. We need to see how our group does after the patch.

I'll probably be on around that time. I just hope I can play today, since yesterday I couldn't do a single match because I was always getting kicked out of the server.

Hi, thats me using Mei on Attack as well. :)

Before the patch our 6 stack was usually (Attack or defense) Junkrat, Mei, Lucio/Zenyatta, Pharah, Zarya, Reinhardt worked out pretty well. We would switch every now and again but our Junkrat was usually Junkrat attack or defense and I usually stuck with Mei.

We havent played together since the patch so I have no idea what our setup would be anymore.

Yeah, we also did a couple of games without a "true" DPS and it went well. We just have to play with the characters that we're comfortable with and have some fun.

Greddleok

Yeah I could see how not having much time to play affects you. It's hard to counteract the feeling of getting outplayed, but if it's something else like your team is trolling by doing stupid stuff or picking symm, I think a great way is just looking at getting small victories.

Yup, personal victories are always something I try to fall back on, but as a tank they're usually few and far between. Tanks are about setting up play, and disruption for DPS to put out some hurt.

Occasionally I get some great personal games, but mostly it's when at least one DPS clicks with me and we go and wreck shop.

I will work on it, I also just have so many games vying for my attention right now. I need to finish RE4!

OG Kush

Guys how is the community for this on ps4? Also does the game run at 60 fps and get updates same time as the PC? How do the dynamics of the game change when using a controller? Do Ppl even choose widowmaker when character move so fast?

Sorry just got a lot of questions!

Cappa

Banned
Guys how is the community for this on ps4? Also does the game run at 60 fps and get updates same time as the PC? How do the dynamics of the game change when using a controller? Do Ppl even choose widowmaker when character move so fast?

Sorry just got a lot of questions!

The community on PS4 is a bit mixed, Id say PS4/PC is about the same except on PC there is more communication with headset on PS4 less so, but plenty of Gaffers on here with mics that group up.

Yes its surprisingly consistent 60fps on PS, one of the smoothest first person shooters Ive personally played on ps4.

The dynamics dont change much, I mean, the meta(popular team hero picks) is the same on PC and PS4. There are plenty of Widowmakers on PS4, some good, some not so much so, but Widowmaker isnt a popular pick on PC or PS4 either. Widowmaker is usually D-E Tier usage (less than 5%).

The only difference between PC and PS4 is, no text chat on PS4 and no PTR(Public Test Region) PTR is like the BETA before the actual patch hits, which by the way, usually drops the same day on PC/PS4

noomi

Been a while since I've played (pc) decided to hop in to try out sombra, new maps, changes...etc

I now suck at the game again :p

Either way, enjoyed the changes for the most part and sombra is a lot of fun. Will probably come back to the game after BF1 gets boring.... which might be never :p

DevilDog

yeah, kinda had a hunch this was the way to go. better to wait for them to be distracted than try to pick fights on my own and get focused down, at least until i get better

i'm in a similar boat-2878 at the moment. here's hoping!

Even if you get better, other people will get better as well. In higher ranks, Mccree's don't miss.

I fit the bill, come at me bro! I play really aggressive with junkrat on attack, I dare anyone to come near me and my tank. He creates so much chaos in the heat of a team battle fighting for a point, from trapping enemies to blowing unwanted characters away from close engagements.

this question was raised during the group tonight and I'm curious

can you hook a d.va entering her meka?

edit: just had an attack junkrat (even though we don't have a tank - I'm the lone healer) die immediately after the start of the game. this is destiny

You can, but the window you can hook her is insanely small. If the hook isn't already in the air when she calls her mech, it's not going to work.

LiK

I fit the bill, come at me bro! I play really aggressive with junkrat on attack, I dare anyone to come near me and my tank. He creates so much chaos in the heat of a team battle fighting for a point, from trapping enemies to blowing unwanted characters away from close engagements.

That's my playstyle as well. Now that they reduced the Ult charge for all heroes, it's like goddamn easy mode as a Junk player. People can't just save their team constantly with Ults.

darklin0

Banned
My favorite thing to do is killing Junkrats with their own grenades when I drop my shield as Winston. It gets a good chuckle out of me every time.

I played a bunch of Soldier last night. I need to keep working on my burst firing, but damn he feels good. I'm consistently getting 3-4 golds with him - and I forgot how good it feels to get lots of golds (been playing a lot of tank and support lately). It's a real problem with this game. Of course 76 gets a pile of golds: the medals are based around the stuff that DPS do.

LiK

I'll need to practice more with Sombra in Arcade. People keep picking her in QP and I can't get enough time to get used to her kit.

I played a bunch of Soldier last night. I need to keep working on my burst firing, but damn he feels good. I'm consistently getting 3-4 golds with him - and I forgot how good it feels to get lots of golds (been playing a lot of tank and support lately). It's a real problem with this game. Of course 76 gets a pile of golds: the medals are based around the stuff that DPS do.

he's a beast now. i was melting tanks so easily. i even killed a Pharmercy combo all by myself. too easy. love it.

OG Kush

The community on PS4 is a bit mixed, Id say PS4/PC is about the same except on PC there is more communication with headset on PS4 less so, but plenty of Gaffers on here with mics that group up.

Yes its surprisingly consistent 60fps on PS, one of the smoothest first person shooters Ive personally played on ps4.

The dynamics dont change much, I mean, the meta(popular team hero picks) is the same on PC and PS4. There are plenty of Widowmakers on PS4, some good, some not so much so, but Widowmaker isnt a popular pick on PC or PS4 either. Widowmaker is usually D-E Tier usage (less than 5%).

The only difference between PC and PS4 is, no text chat on PS4 and no PTR(Public Test Region) PTR is like the BETA before the actual patch hits, which by the way, usually drops the same day on PC/PS4

Thank you the help and information!

Prelude.

Soldier will be nerfed anyway. If tank busting wasn't McCree's job with his fth, it's not Soldier's either. And thank god, he's ridiculous now.

Cappa, Prelude and for anyone else. I'm free to help with the Nexus challenge tonight.
Thanks but I've already did my 30 matches.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Had the weirdest play session:
So after goin' 0-3 on the 3v3 mode i decided to switch to Zenyatta ... we won (yay!)
Then went to play Quick Play with Zeny... and got a 13 kill streak and MVP award
I hadnt play Zenyatta since release, guess he got buffed to hell.

Also: dat MY SERVANTS NEVER DIE line <3

darklin0

Banned
So after many games, I feel Sombra is okay. I a bit under powered and I honestly feel like she should be under the defense slot.

Greddleok

Still not played Sombra (except in a 1v1 which I won for some unknown reason).

Had a crack at the new D.Va, I was wayyyy over confident. Just got torn to shreds.

I think it's hard for a lot of people to consistently have high charge as Zarya though. I haven't played enough of the new update to see how Zarya's beam works against D.Va now. I did play a few games of competitive as D.Va and was playing really well against top 500 Zarya's though (PS4), so the zarya nerf does seem to help D.Va be more effective.

I have about 40 hours of pre-patch Zarya time on the PS4, I'm a pretty decent Zarya that Overbuff squarely places in the middle of the road.

My scrub-self hasn't noticed much difference when squaring off against a D.Va so far. Now Soldier on the other hand...Soldier has turned into a "bubble and RUN" character.

Anne

I wonder if Soldier is actually relatively stronger on console than PC. Aim assisted tracking on people that play slower sounds hilarious.

I have about 40 hours of pre-patch Zarya time on the PS4, I'm a pretty decent Zarya that Overbuff squarely places in the middle of the road.

My scrub-self hasn't noticed much difference when squaring off against a D.Va so far. Now Soldier on the other hand...Soldier has turned into a "bubble and RUN" character.

Yeah it's crazy how easy it is to kill tanks with Soldier. Pop her bubble, drop a biotic field and Zarya's toast in a 1v1.

Drewfonse

Sorry if this has been answered a million times, but has the game seen any visual enhancements with the Pro, or is it unknown yet? I'm thinking of double dipping with the PS4 version.

Top Bottom