• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

5-0 in 1v1

It's pretty fun, I like it.

The best part is, you depend on your own skill...not knucklehead teammates who are lost in the sauce.

see5harp

Haven't been paying attention to changes but I swear it's a lot easier with zen to keep an orb on someone even after they go off screen. It feels like they increased the amount of time it stays on without line of sight.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
5-0 in 1v1

It's pretty fun, I like it.

The best part is, you depend on your own skill...not knucklehead teammates who are lost in the sauce.

I only play with Pharah and Mercy so it was interesting to play with other heroes.
But still... <3 Pharah and Mercy <3

Blues1990

Widow seems crap. Too slow to run and too weak to defend herself when shes spotted.

Especially when Winston leaps in & crushes Widow. That scientist knows how to harass squishes, but it's extra fun when you fling a Widow off from her sniping perch and that player falls into a bottomless ditch. I'm starting to like playing as Winston, as he's equal parts goofy & fun. (Hi, there!) I still need to get better with engagements & know when to leap to safety.

I've had good luck as Sombra getting behind the enemy the enemy and hacking Rein's shield. Same thing with D.Va's matrix. Drop your locator on a health pack, stealth up, hack then bounce back.

I'm quite confident this basic strategy will be hard countered very soon by something obvious, but it's working consistently now.

Blues1990

I've had good luck as Sombra getting behind the enemy the enemy and hacking Rein's shield. Same thing with D.Va's matrix. Drop your locator on a health pack, stealth up, hack then bounce back.

I'm quite confident this basic strategy will be hard countered very soon by something obvious, but it's working consistently now.
You'd be surprised the number of times I have accidentally killed Sombra. When I charged into McCree & followed up with a Firestrike to an enemy Mercy that was far away, I missed her, but somehow killed a cloaked Sombra. It's becoming infuriating, to be perfectly honest.

I-hate-u

Widow seems crap. Too slow to run and too weak to defend herself when shes spotted.

I have actually seen much better Widow plays first hand since the patch. We were losing on Nepal 0-2, and in the last round our Sombra switched to Widow and we steamrolled them. She got POTG too.

Her rifle charge increase seemed to help a lot in getting quick snipes.

Especially when Winston leaps in & crushes Widow. That scientist knows how to harass squishes, but it's extra fun when you fling a Widow off from her sniping perch and that player falls into a bottomless ditch. I'm starting to like playing as Winston, as he's equal parts goofy & fun. (Hi, there!) I still need to get better with engagements & know when to leap to safety.

I watched a video on youtube about Widow before I even bought this game and the guy had similar things to say about Winston being unstoppable against Widow. TBH, I die to everyone with her right now (in close quarters).

I have actually seen much better Widow plays first hand since the patch. We were losing on Nepal 0-2, and in the last round our Sombra switched to Widow and we steamrolled them. She got POTG too.

Her rifle charge increase seemed to help a lot in getting quick snipes.

I only bought the game to day, so maybe I just need to spend more time with her. All my headshots have been lucky so far. lol

I-hate-u

Anyone? I'm honestly curious how Sombra holds up with the rest of the community.

I HATE playing Reinhardt when there is a decent Sombra on the enemy team. That match-up is 10-0.

But like I said before, she is much better defense than offense, especially on control maps.

Blues1990

I watched a video on youtube about Widow before I even bought this game and the guy had similar things to say about Winston being unstoppable against Widow. TBH, I die to everyone with her right now (in close quarters).

I only bought the game to day, so maybe I just need to spend more time with her. All my headshots have been lucky so far. lol

Her assault rifle should be more effective in close-quarters. Maybe not to the extent of Soldier: 76's, but it needs a bit more of a punch when you have to deal with harassers that are sucker punching you to death.

Seriously, I aimed all my shots at Mercy's head, but it only tickled her while she made me into Swiss cheese with her pistol. Definitely not my brightest moment when I tried out Widow Maker (though I did get POTG with her).

I think I'm at 2900 or something. I gave up a while ago though. Not worth the stress.
Aren't you the guy who was in gold not too long ago and shot up? It'd be so awesome to make it all the way to diamond this season.

I'd be happy to group up with people in the 2800-2999 range to try to get that last little bit before the end. Obviously I can't guarantee results, but we could try.

LiK

Aren't you the guy who was in gold not too long ago and shot up? It'd be so awesome to make it all the way to diamond this season.

I'd be happy to group up with people in the 2800-2999 range to try to get that last little bit before the end. Obviously I can't guarantee results, but we could try.

Once you hit Masters, we won't be able to play Comp together again until next Season. &#128546;

fhqwhgads

tfw Genji uses all of his ultimates explicitly to kill you the whole game so you never get a good resurrect as Mercy ;-;
I've never let a team down more than that in my whole time playing

Dreavus

Her assault rifle should be more effective in close-quarters. Maybe not to the extent of Soldier: 76's, but it needs a bit more of a punch when you have to deal with harassers that are sucker punching you to death.

Seriously, I aimed all my shots at Mercy's head, but it only tickled her while she made me into Swiss cheese with her pistol. Definitely not my brightest moment when I tried out Widow Maker (though I did get POTG with her).

IIRC the spread on her primary fire is pretty ridiculous. It's basically just a panic mode weapon and really is not that effective, but I think it's like that for a reason. If she were close to as deadly as soldier with that thing, getting the jump on a good player (hard enough to do already) wouldn't be as advantageous and you'd probably just be shredded. It would make her very strong at mid-close range which is where her weakness should be IMO.

NeoRaider

DlbMHQZ.jpg

Hola. XD

Oh I gave up on masters long ago. Don't worry.

Aren't you like 100-200 away from it? At least you were the last time I checked, I don't invite you when I'm on because I always assumed you didn't want to group up since you probably won't gain as much SR by being on a group with a lower SR, and can lose much more in case we are defeated.

Aren't you like 100-200 away from it? At least you were the last time I checked, I don't invite you when I'm on because I always assumed you didn't want to group up since you probably won't gain as much SR by being on a group with a lower SR, and can lose much more in case we are defeated.
Please invite me, I'm just trying to have fun now.
You were pretty close to masters last I checked. Why quit?
If it happens it happens, I'm not throwing games or anything, but I've been one game away four times and gotten 2CP maps every time and it hasn't even been close in those games. It's a sign.

In my mind everyone should have at least an hour or two of experience with each character so they know what works and what doesn't when fighting against them but you do you. That's just crazy to play over 100 hours without even touching a character.
I feel like after 100 hours, you get a pretty good idea of what has worked against you either by your own experiencing engaging that character, or watching your teammates play as that character.

Certainly, you'd be at a disadvantage if you ever had to play as that character, but on a moment to moment fighting basis, I think it's fine.

Damn it, I thought I may actually break master today but ended up getting stomped in Eichenwalde in the all important game lol, I accidentally emoted on defense at one point towards the end as well, shit was so embarrassing. It's a terrible accidental emote to do as well, the Zarya pumping iron one, it seems to go on forever.

AbaFadi

Banned
If it happens it happens, I'm not throwing games or anything, but I've been one game away four times and gotten 2CP maps every time and it hasn't even been close in those games. It's a sign.

Just keep playing and you'll get there eventually. I avoid playing in the morning because that's when all the bad teammates play lol.

Blues1990

IIRC the spread on her primary fire is pretty ridiculous. It's basically just a panic mode weapon and really is not that effective, but I think it's like that for a reason. If she were close to as deadly as soldier with that thing, getting the jump on a good player (hard enough to do already) wouldn't be as advantageous and you'd probably just be shredded. It would make her very strong at mid-close range which is where her weakness should be IMO.

I get where you're coming from, but I just want her assault rifle to be a bit more effective, not so much with it becoming deadly. Hell, just decreasing the spread would be better than a damage buff. Her mobility is pretty crappy when her hook cable is on cool down, so wouldn't that be enough?

komaruR

The community on PS4 is a bit mixed, Id say PS4/PC is about the same except on PC there is more communication with headset on PS4 less so, but plenty of Gaffers on here with mics that group up.

Yes its surprisingly consistent 60fps on PS, one of the smoothest first person shooters Ive personally played on ps4.

The dynamics dont change much, I mean, the meta(popular team hero picks) is the same on PC and PS4. There are plenty of Widowmakers on PS4, some good, some not so much so, but Widowmaker isnt a popular pick on PC or PS4 either. Widowmaker is usually D-E Tier usage (less than 5%).

The only difference between PC and PS4 is, no text chat on PS4 and no PTR(Public Test Region) PTR is like the BETA before the actual patch hits, which by the way, usually drops the same day on PC/PS4
think the console is on 20tick server, where the pc are 60tick.
so, from time to time you might feel like you getting shot even tho you're in cover or thought you used an escape ability but in their screen you didn't.

also the game pacing is slower than pc for console. its still not bad tho. people should just try out the free weekend and see if it's your cup of tea or not. try pc and console if you can.

antitrop

I had an Ana continuously boost me as Rein last night and I think it's safe to say the era of boosted Rein is over. It was so sad watching everyone just turn around and walk away from me and all I could do was throw a Fire Strike at them.

Shouta

Seeing that Soldier's bullet damage was increased from 17 to 20, maybe the balance lies in the middle at an awkward 18.5 (if that even works).
I just don't think he was supposed to be tearing through tanks no matter how funny it currently is.

Nah, he should stay at 20. The game currently doesn't value his overall skill set being diverse, only his damage. So with him as he is currently, he has his niche within the attacker list as the major damage dealer at mid-range. McCree still does the damage dealing job amazingly well so the real difference is whether you need the crowd control and flank protection from McCree or the push strength and mobility/healing of Soldier.

Besides, Soldier doles out damage in parts rather than single shots. For him to get just a little less damage than McCree, he has to hit 3 of 4 in his burst. He only gets more when he hits all 4. When Soldier was 17 damage per shot. He had to hit all 4 to even be the same with McCree.

Veelk

Banned
Nah, he should stay at 20. The game currently doesn't value his overall skill set being diverse, only his damage. So with him as he is currently, he has his niche within the attacker list as the major damage dealer at mid-range. McCree still does the damage dealing job amazingly well so the real difference is whether you need the crowd control and flank protection from McCree or the push strength and mobility/healing of Soldier.

Besides, Soldier doles out damage in parts rather than single shots. For him to get just a little less damage than McCree, he has to hit 3 of 4 in his burst. He only gets more when he hits all 4. When Soldier was 17 damage per shot. He had to hit all 4 to even be the same with McCree.

I guess I just don't see whats really wrong with Soldier playing second fiddle to McCree. I always saw Soldier as a bastion sort of character. He's there to be an easy to use option to new players. He's got a familiar and mundane moveset that allows them to be effective without being too great at the game. Like bastion, he's great if you're new at the game. But once you start learning the mechanisms of the game, you see that Bastion is an incredibly limited and fragile hero. He still has his place, but there are simply better options available. That's how I think soldier should be. Not bad at all, but if you can aim, then McCree is there to be the better option for you.

For me, the game is less fun when Soldier is this good. He's not an interesting character to interact with because his abilities are so ordinary compared to the fantastical abilities of everyone else. I don't want him to be completely useless or anything, but this buff has made him a must pick because his DPS is just THAT stupid. So I just disagree with the premise that he ought to be as good as McCree in the first place. And if the argument is that characters should be as closely matched as possible, then there are a bunch of characters in the defense catergroy and some in the healer groups that need buffs way more than Soldier does.

Finally got back into this game since a month after the game released.

Damn, Ana is so much fun. And I just recently discovered how amazingly fun Pharah is.

NeoRaider

Sombra hacking health packs is insanely powerful. The regen time is too good.

I think it's well balanced considering how weak her SMG is. She is very easy to kill when she doesn't have her translocator ready. Tho. she can really surprise some heroes like Mercy, Widow, Ana... from behind and kill them in 2 sec.

Veelk

Banned
I never had a problem using pharah on consoles. Even when people remember to look up, it's hard to hit someone in the air. Though this was pre-soldier buff.

LiK

Even with her buffs, I see less reason for anyone to use Pharah. Soldier would just rip her to shreds.

yeah, pharah stays losing

any mccree, soldier
or bastion
worth half a damn is gonna take her down in milliseconds

Yup, I was able to take out a Pharmercy combo on my own with buffed Soldier.

I think Pharah needs some goddamn armor.

Has Blizzard announced when the new season will start?

One week after S2 ends.

Top Bottom