• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Fonds

Had the weirdest play session:
So after goin' 0-3 on the 3v3 mode i decided to switch to Zenyatta ... we won (yay!)
Then went to play Quick Play with Zeny... and got a 13 kill streak and MVP award
I hadnt play Zenyatta since release, guess he got buffed to hell.

Also: dat MY SERVANTS NEVER DIE line <3

I play zenyatta main and while his discord got nerfed his dmg got buffed.
Zen is actually an offense orient support, healing teammates is more like a bonus.

I can quite often get dmg/ eleminations gold medals with him as well. Might be me but I'm almost always outhealed by Lucio or Mercy unless they suck or you have some nice Trancendance uses.

Drewfonse

For a new page

Sorry if this has been answered a million times, but has the game seen any visual enhancements with the Pro, or is it unknown yet? I'm thinking of double dipping with the PS4 version.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wonder if Soldier is actually relatively stronger on console than PC. Aim assisted tracking on people that play slower sounds hilarious.

Wouldn't be surprised. The McCree - Soldier gap also wasn't as drastic as the PC version looked before.

LiK

I wonder if Soldier is actually relatively stronger on console than PC. Aim assisted tracking on people that play slower sounds hilarious.

I dunno but even all the big YouTubers on PC are calling him a monster now. Easier to aim on PC anyway.

I will tell you that I barely saw any McCrees in Comp last night.

Yeah, Soldier 76 is insanely good now. I think McCree is still as good/better in certain situations, but 76 is a beast right now. Especially Ana-boosted 76 with Tactical Visor on, holy shit lol.

I wouldn't say Soldier is stronger than any other primary offensive characters. He is not so strong that you would always use him over Mccree, Reaper, etc. and I like that he is viable now. I think nerfing him from this stage would take us back to having no reason to use him over Mccree again. Maybe people are overreacting? If anything they could increase the cooldown on Helix but I don't think I would want them to decrease the bullet damage or change his spread.

I could see him being broken on console though since it seems most people thought he was fine on console even before the buffs.

Anne

McCree's flashbang is still one of the best abilities in the entire damn game.

This. When you pick Soldier you're getting overall more damage output and the aggressive mobility, but you give up McCree's CC which is stupidly valuable. It's an interesting decision.

It spots being interesting if Soldier's damage is more valuable than the CC in every situation, which I don't think is the case right now.

AbaFadi

Banned
I wouldn't say Soldier is stronger than any other primary offensive characters. He is not so strong that you would always use him over Mccree, Reaper, etc. and I like that he is viable now. I think nerfing him from this stage would take us back to having no reason to use him over Mccree again. Maybe people are overreacting? If anything they could increase the cooldown on Helix but I don't think I would want them to decrease the bullet damage or change his spread.

I could see him being broken on console though since it seems most people thought he was fine on console even before the buffs.

I thought he was pretty bad on console before. Soldier is definitely viable now, but if someone can land his shots I don't see why you would use Soldier over McCree. Soldier is better for people like me who can't land 50%+ shots with McCree lol.

If he gets nerfed again, he won't get used anymore. I think right now people just need time to adjust to the new Soldier.

Blues1990

Does the Junkenstein's Monster skin give Roadhog any lines? Given how both Witch Mercy and Dr. Junkenstein now have new lines for their ult's, you would think Frankenpig would have a new line for his ult.

Cappa

Banned
Does the Junkenstein's Monster skin give Roadhog any lines? Given how both Witch Mercy and Dr. Junkenstein now have new lines for their ult's, you would think Frankenpig would have a new line for his ult.

Ive noticed Frankenpig say "Im alive" when starting the match..... before he would just say regular Roadhogs line "Im a one man apocalypse" havent caught any other new lines.

AbaFadi

Banned
When an Ana boosts your D.va but you are not in your suit. Facepalm

What did they expect me to do?

One time this happened to me. I was out of suit and then I got nanoboosted. I called for my mech and was no longer nanoboosted, then immediately lost mech due to focused fire on me. When I got out of mech, I was still nanoboosted from before. Interesting how the nanoboost doesn't carry over to the mech but still remains out of mech if you die fast enough.

IbukiLordSA

This is what Nano boosted D.va out of mech should fire like

latest

Blues1990

Ive noticed Frankenpig say "Im alive" when starting the match..... before he would just say regular Roadhogs line "Im a one man apocalypse" havent caught any other new lines.
Ah, that's pretty cool. I'll check it out later if there are any other new lines for StreetPig & Trashmouse.

Seeing that Soldier's bullet damage was increased from 17 to 20, maybe the balance lies in the middle at an awkward 18.5 (if that even works).
I just don't think he was supposed to be tearing through tanks no matter how funny it currently is.

Blues1990

Seeing that Soldier's bullet damage was increased from 17 to 20, maybe the balance lies in the middle at an awkward 18.5 (if that even works).
I just don't think he was supposed to be tearing through tanks no matter how funny it currently is.
John's been through hell & back. Nothing will stand in his way. /s

Auctopus

thanks... it felt like such a chore yesterday I didnt even bother after that 1 match we played together. If youre on tonight though Ill try to give it another shot.

Yeah, we just need to find a decent group. As I said earlier, I found a really nice bunch of people and got my 15 games in about half an hour and could've played for longer.

It's annoying how the game doesn't allow you to join parties as a two but we'll try nonetheless tonight.

I agree. I was perfectly capable with him before the buff but now I'm pretty much unstoppable. If someone is in my sights (I'm sorry), they're dead. The TTK with him now is crazy in hand with his range.

Veelk

Banned
I'm not overly annoyed with Sombra yet, but I think in time I'll just hate her. I generally don't like mechanics that are designed to just cockblock the player, which is basically what Sombra is designed to do. She has tracers disappearing trick, invisibility with no shimmer to alert you, and her ability+ult is designed to just shut your character's abilities down. On top of that, her submachine gun is REALLY good. I'm honestly surprised I don't hate her already. I think it's the novelty.

Whats the consensus on Sombra in the pro community? Is she as overpowered as she sounded on paper or is she actually manageable?

Anyone? I'm honestly curious how Sombra holds up with the rest of the community.

khaaan

I ran into the first person who exceeded your standard competitive saltiness and really ruined the experience for me :( The worst part is that even though I know I was in the right it still bothered me way more than it should have. Came pretty close to ruining my night. *sigh*

Auctopus

Anyone? I'm honestly curious how Sombra holds up with the rest of the community.

I think it's gonna take at least a few weeks before we can say anything definitive but how I feel now is that her SMG is too strong. As you said, on top of her other abilities, she can just gun down other players anyway.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I played the "just offense/assault characters" brawl and she pretty much dominated. I thought when she was revealed that her tactic would be getting the drop on players and her low DPS being balanced by the element of surprise but her basic DPS seems high enough to go toe-to-toe with pretty much any sub 300 health character and survive/win.

I'm starting to get the same feelings I get when someone picks Sombra as when someone picks Widow. They are usually really bad and don't contribute anything. I have had no problems dealing with or killing them either. She is an interesting and fun character to play but her damage output seems really low and I don't think she can function well in anything less than a fully coordinated team.

That said, I did get destroyed by a really good Sombra play on Anubis point B yesterday. The entire enemy team rushed us and Sombra dropped the EMP which left our entire team defenseless to a barrage of enemy ultimates. We lost that point really fast and some people in my team got super salty about Sombra being OP. We ended up drawing the match but the Sombra was in a 4 person pre-made and seemed pretty solid.

Time will tell but I think she is going to need a boost in the damage department.

Paltheos

Soldier's cool, and I like seeing a hero like him function in this meta. An all-around strong hero who can do a little bit of everything - Mobile, self-sustaining, somewhat potent at all ranges (mid-long ideally by himself but also good at close-range in team fights for the heals), and with a strong burst/splash attack.

I've liked him even if allot of people say he's just boring. The only thing that bothers me is his self-sustain seems a little too strong in 1v1 encounters.

But yeah, I like him, and I like that he's etched out a niche from a role McCree took entirely for himself in the past. McCree at long-range always had the sustain problem since he had no heals, and McCree has notoriously limited mobility among the DPS. Soldier can get around fast and survive by himself, and McCree can remain preferred for closer range encounters when you're trying to nail down Genjis and Tracers.

Plus Helix Rockets are so great as a finisher on grounded squishies. You actually had to aim as McCree; with Soldier you just need to be kinda close. ... Wait, that's not a good thing.

Her invisibility doesn't have a shimmer but she does scream about whenever she uncloaks, so really, that is one of your "omg she's so OP"-points?

Either way: Sombra's utility depends on how well a team communicates. In a coordinated team, Sombra can be absolutely powerful, however, in regular Ranked matches or whatever, Sombra is going to be utter trash.

Cappa

Banned

Sombra is fine. The only thing frustrating is people using her in Competitive and having absolutely no success with her and refusing to switch even though shes a clear detriment to a team.

In fact, Id say Sombra is a fairly weak hero who is incredibly situational and is probably more useful on defense than on actual attack. I think there will be groups and teams out there who will use Sombra effectively, but will be easily counterable.

Much like Mei, you can be really good with Mei but if you arent surrounded by a good team you wont be very effective.

I just dont see how shes overpowered... play 3 v3 and hope the enemy team picks Sombra. Shes always the first to die.

Sombra in comp is more about someone knowing how to play Sombra well, it's about everyone in the game learning how to play with and against Sombra.

People don't know how to create that synergy with her yet, and until they do, she's not going to be of much help.

She'd be great paired with a Tracer who can blink in to hacked targets for easy kills, and then recall away.

I always spray the battering ram hehe

Also it makes me say seeing the cute zenyatta spray since I should have unlocked it by now but it must be glitched for me and I don't have it :/

Lame, I use that one or the adorable one now. I'd use sprite (I like those ones) but I'll probably never unlock that Achievement lol. :(

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm probably being dense, but I don't see a way to opt-in to the free weekend on ps4. There's a tile advertising the event, but it just leads me to the Overwatch store page with no option but to purchase the game.

What am I doing wrong?

JoeNut

I'm probably being dense, but I don't see a way to opt-in to the free weekend on ps4. There's a tile advertising the event, but it just leads me to the Overwatch store page with no option but to purchase the game.

What am I doing wrong?

has the weekend started yet?

Anne

Sombra hasn't had enough top level showings to figure her out yet. A lot of opinions tend to put her abilities as very strong, while other DPS players point out her damage is still on the weak end for fighting. It's going to be a bit before we know what's up. Right now everybody is just using her to facilitate dives really.

LiK

Sombra hasn't had enough top level showings to figure her out yet. A lot of opinions tend to put her abilities as very strong, while other DPS players point out her damage is still on the weak end for fighting. It's going to be a bit before we know what's up. Right now everybody is just using her to facilitate dives really.

Yea, so far the playstyle is all over the place. People still figuring her out.

Cappa

Banned

At the pro level it hasnt worked... yet. It either eventually will or she just wont be in the meta unless some sort of buff or nerf to others happens.

http://mashable.com/2016/11/16/overwatch-sombra-pro/

Yea, so far the playstyle is all over the place. People still figuring her out.

Her DPS seems to really drop off at mid so maybe people aren't getting close enough.

Also yeah as others have said you need to coordinate with your team. You can set up with a hack and then go in with another to secure a kill. It might seem weak compared to just using a Tracer or Mcree but you can take care of characters that have escapes/harder to kill abilities.

Fancolors

Well, Faze used her to hold defence on Hollywood point A and it basically boiled to poking damage for ult. I can't recall any other moment in yesterday's tournament where she was very successful tho.

LiK

I returned to OW last night after like a month and got a quad kill with Junk ult and we won the match in Comp. that was lovely.

always bet on Junk. 8)

AbaFadi

Banned
I just bought Overwatch for PC for $35 on amazon. I'm getting a new laptop next week, so I'll play it on there from time to time. Still going to primarily play on PS4 though since all my friends are on there.

Top Bottom