• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've been playing a lot of Mei lately. I can't believe I ever thought this character didn't deal enough damage.

150 per headshot.

She's not hitscan but her projectile is the best in the game as far as consistency goes. For me anyway.

AngryMoth

Watching a couple of pro matches from that tournament in Korea, seems like maybe this is the most balanced patch yet? Seeing a big variety in comps and a couple of times where the teams have only been running 2 of the same hero

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Watching a couple of pro matches from that tournament in Korea, seems like maybe this is the most balanced patch yet? Seeing a big variety in comps and a couple of times where the teams have only been running 2 of the same hero

That's how it is at the start until pros find the core setup. People just don't know yet.

Previous meta was way better about it than the zencio meta tbf.

Gurrry

I have to say, I absolutely love 1v1 and 3v3.

I havent played a single competitive game since the arcade released. 1v1 gives me an adrenaline rush that I can only compare to killing a hard boss in dark souls.

I plan on getting back into comp once season 3 hits, but the arcade is just so much fun that its hard to not go play.

Anne

150 per headshot.

She's not hitscan but her projectile is the best in the game as far as consistency goes. For me anyway.

I'm posting up 15k damage rounds on payload and stuff these days. I can't go as ham as McCree or something, but then oops I wiped half the team with M2.

So Zenyatta with mobility and speedboost? Lol.

Not that real, but he had larger projectiles and like 25% more or something damage? He was winning 1v1s when people jumped him in beta.

That's how it is at the start until pros find the core setup. People just don't know yet.

Previous meta was way better about it than the zencio meta tbf.

It was better in the sense you saw more characters and variations of the strat, but basically every team boiled down to "cycle nanoboost as fast as possible." I'm sure we'll have some new variation of that soon :v

Finally got to diamond last night. Was so ecstatic to hit it after losing 20 out of 22 games. Proceed to lose 3 straight sook as I cross 3000. Thank God you stay your rank.

DevilDog

Most of mine are just people who are pretty quiet throughout the game, to the point where you didn't think anyone is on chat, and then at the end they just say ggs.

Had a reaper thank me for sleeping the enemy reaper who was chasing him down though, so that was nice.
That's better than nothing, really. I'm okay with people being shy/tired to speak, as long as they hear me and anyone else who is making calls.

A lot of my disdain comes from playing online with my younger sister. Shit's like night and day, makes all of the idiots come out.

I'm not dumb, I know that teamwork is going to take a significant hit when someone doesn't communicate. On the other hand, I'm not going to fault anyone who doesn't want to deal with it either.
If you can't deal with it, mute the people who are toxic. Turning off the entire team chat is an extreme measure. Put in the 2 second effort to mute someone rather than fuck over the entire team.

Also girls make some people behave more immaturely, so if it is getting out of hand, at least have the comms open and just mute your microphone. You being able to listen to us making calls is extremely important.

Anne

Nanoboost still wrecks though in my experience. Just gotta give it to someone like roadhog or 76.

At least it's possible to counterplay more frequently this way? It's still stupid. Not getting run down after I blow CC and mobility is nice. Then the other night I was against a nanoboosted Roadhog as McCree and I dinked him 7-8 times and still lost. I will triple dink ulting Genjis and they will live because Ana landed a single heal shot on him. Those have actually happened to me in the last couple days as McCree and it honestly feels like I shouldn't even bother fucking with the Nanoboost. I hope they target that damage reduction next.

People who quit the voice chat because "People are rude and you can't take it"

Seriously, join the goddamned voice chat and mute anyone who is being an asshole, you're being an even bigger asshole by not being there to communicate with.

For comps, comms are necessairy.
I don't understand why they separate group and team chat.

If someone wants to be in a group chat they should be in party chat or steam voice or blizzard's client or something. Groups who refuse to switch over to team chat are the worst :/

Gurrry

People who quit the voice chat because "People are rude and you can't take it"

Seriously, join the goddamned voice chat and mute anyone who is being an asshole, you're being an even bigger asshole by not being there to communicate with.

For comps, comms are necessairy.

I agree that for comps, you need communication. However, whats been grinding my gears are people in 3v3 who try to control who you play.

Look, I get that people want to win. But at the same time, its arcade and 3v3 mode. Let people play what ever they want. Arcade isnt meant to be taken seriously. As soon as someone groans because I picked Sombra, I instantly leave chat.

As far as leaving chat in comp games, I normally never do it unless it gets super toxic or racist. When I hear people arguing it makes me play bad and I cant focus. Most of the time when I am forced to leave, the team mates arent being effective communicators anyway. Its mainly people arguing about team comps instead of calling out enemy locations.

That match where the randoms immediately went Sombra and widowmaker.

:/

When I'm soloqing I'm on my close to best behavior. Most times...

Some games are just demoralizing...

Is solo Queue hopeless when you're under 2700 on PS4? I had a bad week with all the DPS/Sombra picks in solo queue and I dropped from 2780 to 2450. At my current rank teammates are noticeably... dumber? I usually get silver or bronze eliminations and I main Lucio.

If you want add me, my PSN id is in my profile. We usually try to play with full teams, it's way funnier and this way we can avoid troll picks, even though sometimes one of our teammates picks Torb on defense. And he doesn't even have a good skin for him.

Anne

I'm actually titled enough to think about those experiences and just say that counterplaying Ana in general is fucking miserable. You can have the craziest plays where you clearly win 2-3 times over but don't because lol cross map burst healing or lol Nano damage reduction. So then you have to find the lady wherever she is to stop that from happening, and if you find her you probably have to overextend and then god forbid sleep dart hits.

Ana was a mistake.

Is there a worse feeling in this game than getting the alternate of a Legendary you really wanted? I got Explorer Winston but was gonna eventually buy Safari Winston. I'd much rather have gotten Underwater or Frogston just because it would be different than Safari. Now I have to decide if it's worth it to spend 1k credits just to get a slightly better skin.

oh well

Is solo Queue hopeless when you're under 2700 on PS4? I had a bad week with all the DPS/Sombra picks in solo queue and I dropped from 2780 to 2450. At my current rank teammates are noticeably... dumber? I usually get silver or bronze eliminations and I main Lucio.

Solo queue is hopeless. Try to keep your team happy, convince them to choose a real team comp, and do your best and eventually you'll get where you want to be.

I've only run into a couple annoying comp chat people on ps4, turning off chat completely seems extreme in a team game just to avoid the chance of that happening.

I don't know if I've shared this here before, but I saved this match with one of the most talkative guys I've ever played a match with. He talked nearly the entire match, and barely any of it was helpful and the rest of it was him complaining about characters.

Don't pay attention to my performance, though, I was still learning Genji and pretty much sucked it.

DOWN

Banned
Is there a worse feeling in this game than getting the alternate of a Legendary you really wanted? I got Explorer Winston but was gonna eventually buy Safari Winston. I'd much rather have gotten Underwater or Frogston just because it would be different than Safari. Now I have to decide if it's worth it to spend 1k credits just to get a slightly better skin.

oh well
What else would you spend it on?

DevilDog

I don't understand why they separate group and team chat.

If someone wants to be in a group chat they should be in party chat or steam voice or blizzard's client or something. Groups who refuse to switch over to team chat are the worst :/
I would actually like the option of "Press key to speak in team chat" even when you are in group chat.

I agree that for comps, you need communication. However, whats been grinding my gears are people in 3v3 who try to control who you play.

Look, I get that people want to win. But at the same time, its arcade and 3v3 mode. Let people play what ever they want. Arcade isnt meant to be taken seriously. As soon as someone groans because I picked Sombra, I instantly leave chat.

As far as leaving chat in comp games, I normally never do it unless it gets super toxic or racist. When I hear people arguing it makes me play bad and I cant focus. Most of the time when I am forced to leave, the team mates arent being effective communicators anyway. Its mainly people arguing about team comps instead of calling out enemy locations.
Yeah I'm talking for comp. Eveything else is fine without communication.

And it is a given that if team chat is wayyy too toxic and beyond saving, better stay the hell out of there.

That's better than nothing, really. I'm okay with people being shy/tired to speak, as long as they hear me and anyone else who is making calls.

If you can't deal with it, mute the people who are toxic. Turning off the entire team chat is an extreme measure. Put in the 2 second effort to mute someone rather than fuck over the entire team.

Also girls make some people behave more immaturely, so if it is getting out of hand, at least have the comms open and just mute your microphone. You being able to listen to us making calls is extremely important.

I can see we're not going to agree on this, so I'm gonna drop it.

DevilDog

The Lucio video Data West posted a while back, it started getting reported for ridiculous reasons on reddit. Just to let you all know how much those pesky PCMR people had their feelings hurt.

I can see we're not going to agree on this, so I'm gonna drop it.

You don't have to agree with anything, just know how the rest of your team feels.

Redmoon

Found a stream of a US player who is over lvl 1600. Around 1400 hours in the game...

I need to know their secret for not going insane while playing this longer than a few hours per day, if I even get that much in a day.

Like I used to frequently pull up to 3/4 of a day playing CS:S or TF2, but I can't do anywhere near that for this game.

ohkay

I would actually like the option of "Press key to speak in team chat" even when you are in group chat.
I just use blizzard chat with open mic on to act as group chat (normally just me and a friend) and then keep team chat on with push to talk.

Ok, so I descided to play this game a bit cause of the free weekend.

Played a match with each hero against AI and I enjoy it a lot.

Thinking about buying it on PC

Now 2 questions:

1) I suck with playing keyboard and mouse. Will I suck too much against other players using a controller?

2) I can add my name to the GAF ID List and join the Discord server or do I need permission from someone here first?

Owzers

I don't know if I've shared this here before, but I saved this match with one of the most talkative guys I've ever played a match with. He talked nearly the entire match, and barely any of it was helpful and the rest of it was him complaining about characters.

Don't pay attention to my performance, though, I was still learning Genji and pretty much sucked it.
Well now I can only pay attention to your genji play.

But that's also a lot of swearing for one match.

ohkay

1) I suck with playing keyboard and mouse. Will I suck too much against other players using a controller?
In general, you'd be putting yourself at a disadvantage because kb/m is more precise, and using a controller means either sacrificing precision for being able to turn quickly or vice versa (I haven't played on controller since the dual zone stuff, so I don't know how that works). However, the game has an internal matchmaking system that will try to group you with similarly skilled opponents, so the controller choice wouldn't really matter in that respect

molnizzle

Absolutely. There's no aim assist with controllers on PC which is really rough. There are a few heroes that you can get away with on controller, but those are not always the heroes your team is gonna need every game. I managed to win a 1v1 arena 5-3 using a dual shock 4 but it was a struggle (and I played cheap as hell).

I'm much happier playing the PS4 version.

Console I guess? That sucks, Blizzard should get on it.

heh, I didn't even know there was in-game voice chat. Must have turned that shit off before I even played my first match. As I should.

If people are so butthurt about communication they can play on a pre-made team. I'm not interested in participating in it, ever.

Anyone one on Ps4 still playing? Seems like much of the people I used to play with are not very active in Overwatch anymore.

PSN: Incitesyne

😎

In general, you'd be putting yourself at a disadvantage because kb/m is more precise, and using a controller means either sacrificing precision for being able to turn quickly or vice versa (I haven't played on controller since the dual zone stuff, so I don't know how that works). However, the game has an internal matchmaking system that will try to group you with similarly skilled opponents, so the controller choice wouldn't really matter in that respect

Absolutely. There's no aim assist with controllers on PC which is really rough. There are a few heroes that you can get away with on controller, but those are not always the heroes your team is gonna need every game. I managed to win a 1v1 arena 5-3 using a dual shock 4 but it was a struggle (and I played cheap as hell).

heh, I didn't even know there was in-game voice chat. Must have turned that shit off before I even played my first match. As I should.

If people are so butthurt about communication they can play on a pre-made team. I'm not interested in participating in it, ever.

Thanks to both for the replies.

I imagined there would be a difference.However, me with a controller is so much better than with a keyboard and mouse. Even if there is a huge disparity between me and other players I will play much better with controller.

Id like to buy it on PC cause its cheaper and I use PC a lot more but Im going to think about it. Also I dont have PS Plus anymore so I dont think Id be able to play it online on PS4. Thanks.

Wait, why did you want to play with the Gaf group then?

Shouta

I'm actually titled enough to think about those experiences and just say that counterplaying Ana in general is fucking miserable. You can have the craziest plays where you clearly win 2-3 times over but don't because lol cross map burst healing or lol Nano damage reduction. So then you have to find the lady wherever she is to stop that from happening, and if you find her you probably have to overextend and then god forbid sleep dart hits.

Ana was a mistake.

The best kind of mistake. >=)

I love and hate it when the entire enemy team tries to go after me when I'm Ana because I'm sitting across the map healing the team out of danger.

Top Bottom