• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

dralla

Does anyone use the PS4 GAF community? It seems dead. I mostly do QP solo or with a friend of mine. I/we could always use more people to play with. PSN = DirtyWorm. We're both around level 145.

Veelk

Banned
I decided to try Overwatch on PC, free weekend and all.

Turns out it can't run it half as well as my PS4. Christ, I need to upgrade...

Blues1990

I've finally accumulated enough gold coins to unlock either the Azucar or Los Muertos skin for Sombra, but I can't decide which one I want. I love Azucar's colour scheme, but that tattoo's for the Muertos skin is just as cool.

DevilDog

heh, I didn't even know there was in-game voice chat. Must have turned that shit off before I even played my first match. As I should.

If people are so butthurt about communication they can play on a pre-made team. I'm not interested in participating in it, ever.

I'm not talking about quick play, I'm talking about competitive.

And on PC you're pretty much the asshole for not participating in comms. Everyone should join in and everyone is expected to. I don't know if you're new to competitive game modes but this is how it works, and how it has been working for years now.

I'm not going to go into trouble to find 5 other players on my rank to play together, since you'll get matched up with super tryhards.

This is why i started this whole fuss about competitve voice chat, people like you think it's okay to not participate in it.

Once in cs go, we had a DEAF teammate, who would still use the mic to make all the calls he could, even if he couldn't hear us.

Kysen

Yea people who don't even bother to join voice are useless imo. Typing stuff out mid fight is a waste of time. Just knowing what to do doesn't work when the other team is using coms and is way more coordinated as a result.

NeoRaider

Yea people who don't even bother to join voice are useless imo. Typing stuff out mid fight is a waste of time. Just knowing what to do doesn't work when the other team is using coms and is way more coordinated as a result.

So basically 90% of the players.
Good luck finding players that talk.

Pooya

I'm sick of Ana, ult nerf wasn't enough, she's in every game more than lucio that is getting nerfed every patch. Her firing rate combined with the silly clip size they pushed more and more back when she came out without any thought, it's completely busted.

no skill widow spammers are back too, thanks Blizzard.

I just encountered some terrible people on comp, funny thing is they just joined the chat to call us names and after that they went silent again and threw the game of course.

I definitely think that Sombra can be effective come season 3. As long as the Sombra communicates with the team she can be a real game changer.

I saw Surefour playing her on defense (Gibraltar) and she seemed pretty good. Her ult is devastating when used at the right time.

NeoRaider

And i am already sick of bad Sombras, doing nothing and running around like a chickens. And they usually happen to be in my team.

Redmoon

And on PC you're pretty much the asshole for not participating in comms. Everyone should join in and everyone is expected to. I don't know if you're new to competitive game modes but this is how it works, and how it has been working for years now.

I'm not going to go into trouble to find 5 other players on my rank to play together, since you'll get matched up with super tryhards.

This is why i started this whole fuss about competitve voice chat, people like you think it's okay to not participate in it.

Once in cs go, we had a DEAF teammate, who would still use the mic to make all the calls he could, even if he couldn't hear us.
I join in the channel even though I don't want to for many reasons, however I stay quiet and just listen and use the built in comms for now. I also don't blame people for staying out of it with my past experiences over voice.

In CS I eventually had to start communicating around Master Guardian 3(started in the Silvers), so I expect I'll have to do the same here at some point.

Basically I don't want a repeat of what happened at launch. Otherwise I'ts just going to be me stopping cold turkey again for months and ruining the game even more for me than the first time.

Magwik

Banned
Sombra has the kit to work her way into the meta, but is also requires your teamwork to be solid to really take advantage of it. In quick play though, most comps aren't there to really take advantage of her and she isn't needed every game either. People will figure it out eventually though, it hasn't even been a week yet.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hate it when the game gives you non stop Volskaya and Hanamura in comp.

Those maps remind me of the shitty two/four player maps the size of the dime that SC II launched with. Hopefully we get 3 point control maps and more payload in the future. Something closer to TF2.

AbaFadi

Banned
Is the game already "dead" on PS4? Takes over a minute to find a regular game and all Arcade modes are empty.

Since the game came out I've had search times take about 3+ minutes. Arcade mode is pretty empty though.

Also guys, be careful of playing ranked for the remainder of this season. People are starting to throw left and right. I'm done playing ranked for this season.

DevilDog

I join in the channel even though I don't want to for many reasons, however I stay quiet and just listen and use the built in comms for now. I also don't blame people for staying out of it with my past experiences over voice.

In CS I eventually had to start communicating around Master Guardian 3(started in the Silvers), so I expect I'll have to do the same here at some point.

Basically I don't want a repeat of what happened at launch. Otherwise I'ts just going to be me stopping cold turkey again for months and ruining the game even more for me than the first time.

You have no idea what I've heard over the years. Death threats, wishes of death upon me and my family, sexist/racist comments and much much more.
But it's a small part of the community that does this, and abandoning the rest of my team isn't the solution. We're here to play together, the most fun you can have in this game is when you work together.

If we mute the guy that is the asshole we lost 1 teammate. If someone else abandons over that guy we lose another. Suddently half the team is not communicating.

Is the game already "dead" on PS4? Takes over a minute to find a regular game and all Arcade modes are empty.

The only time I've had huge wait times is when I'm in groups for competitive. Any time else I get games pretty easily.

Now whether they're good quality games or not...

molnizzle

I'm talking about competitive too, and I've been playing competitive shooters online since CS 1.5. I probably made many of the same arguments you're making now when I was younger. You'll grow out of it.

At the end of the day the onus is on you if you insist on playing with a full team of people on comms. "Getting matched with super tryhards" is to be expected when you're trying to be a super tryhard. That comes with the terrirotry. It's not my job to make sure you get the experience you want. That's on you.

Blues1990

"The Symmetra of DPS" was a far more accurate title for Sombra than I thought it would be.

I wouldn't go that far. As others have mentioned, Sombra can shift the tide of the fight, but that all depends on how well coordinated the player is with his/her teammates. I was able to wipe out a team as Soldier 76, in due part with Zarya and Sombra's combined ults. D.Va also has good synergy with Sombra.

DevilDog

I'm talking about competitive too, and I've been playing competitive shooters online since CS 1.5. I probably made many of the same arguments you're making now when I was younger. You'll grow out of it.

At the end of the day the onus is on you if you insist on playing with a full team of people on comms. "Getting matched with super tryhards" is to be expected when you're trying to be a super tryhard. That comes with the terrirotry. It's not my job to make sure you get the experience you want. That's on you.

You remind me of a guy who said that if we wanted to avoid cheaters and trolls and have good communication in cs we have to have a team.

Like, no, this isn't the old days where there was no matchmaking and MMR. Companies nowadays try to casualize the competitive experience, hence you don't have to be so serious and organized about it. Just get a microphone and tell me someone is flanking us from the back.
There is an in game team voice chat for a reason. The reason isn't for it to get ignored.

molnizzle

Like, no, this isn't the old days where there was no matchmaking and MMR. Companies nowadays try to casualize the competitive experience, hence you don't have to be so serious about it. Just get a microphone and tell me someone is flanking us from the back.
There is an in game team voice chat for a reason. The reason isn't for it to get ignored.

You can yell at the sky as much as you want. I'm not trying to change your mind, just telling you how it is. There are many who feel as I do.

Not having "to be so serious and organized about it" is making my point. Insisting on team comms is being serious about it. If you want that, get serious. Many of us just want to play games with random matchmaking and have a good time.

I'm a grown man with a family, shit is going on around me when I play video games. Voice chat just makes the experience more complicated. When the conditions are right and I'm looking to do that, I jump in a pre-made. I'm just rational like that.

DevilDog

You can yell at the sky as much as you want. I'm not trying to change your mind, just telling you how it is. There are many who feel as I do.

Not having "to be so serious and organized about it" is making my point. Insisting on team comms is being serious about it. If you want that, get serious. Many of us just want to play games with random matchmaking and have a good time.

I'm a grown man with a family, shit is going on around me when I play video games. Voice chat just makes the experience more complicated. When the conditions are right and I'm looking to do that, I jump in a pre-made. I'm just rational like that.

Here is why i posted what I posted. People feel okay leaving the voice chat, who cares it's just voice chat. I'm here to tell them to not leave the voice chat, because it isn't as okay as they think it is.

If you have a irl reason that gets in the way, it's cool, family f.e. is more important than video games. But if you don't and are bored to mute that 1 guy that is being an ass, then get on voice chat and mute him, not the entire team. The end.

Being on comms isn't as serious as preparing a 6 stack team to play. You of all people should know, people have things to do, places to be and being able to assemble a 6 stack is hard. This is why matchmaking is here.

Am I getting through, or are you getting confused and are about to hit me with the "You're young and you don't understand" card again?

antitrop

I wouldn't go that far. As others have mentioned, Sombra can shift the tide of the fight, but that all depends on how well coordinated the player is with his/her teammates. I was able to wipe out a team as Soldier 76, in due part with Zarya and Sombra's combined ults. D.Va also has good synergy with Sombra.
It just feels like any game you actually win with a Sombra would have been easier with a different DPS instead.

She has her high impact moments for sure, but seems to really struggle carrying her weight in between those.

molnizzle

Am I getting through, or are you getting confused and are about to hit me with the "You're young and you don't understand" card again?

There's nothing to "get throgh," I'm just telling you how things are. Voice chat is more trouble than it's worth for a lot of people so we turn it off. Have now for years. We're not gonna change and there's only going to be more of us as gamers continue to age. I'm only interested in voice chatting with organized groups, never randoms.

You want to be sure there is voice comms, you play in a premade. That's just the way it is.

Blues1990

It just feels like any game you actually win with a Sombra would have been easier with a different DPS instead.

She has her high impact moments for sure, but seems to really struggle carrying her weight in between those.

The character hasn't been out for too long, and Blizzard will eventually adjust her until they hit that sweet spot. I thought her uzi would work best in burst fire, but I didn't even realize it was a hit scan weapon.

Im new to the game but I am having a lot of fun with Lucio.

He is a healer but can do some damage or can send enemies back.

Couple him with a tank and he works really well.

Veelk

Banned
Can someone explain to me what it is with Sombra's ammo counter on her gun not corresponding to the actual bullets at all unless it's the bottom 10 in the mag?

I-hate-u

Can someone explain to me what it is with Sombra's ammo counter on her gun not corresponding to the actual bullets at all unless it's the bottom 10 in the mag?

Don't know about Sombra, but it's the same issue with Pharah's Raptorian and Mechaqueen skins on console.

Wounded

I'm loving the free weekend but I'm really torn on what to do - my equivalent skill level on PC is lower than a lot of people when it comes to shooting, but I feel that's a little less important in this game (at least casually) so I'd possibly perform better on console, on the other hand this looks lovely on PC with the higher framerate etc and just 'feeling' like a PC game. I'm I wrong in thinking that not being a great shot is still ok for this game?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm loving the free weekend but I'm really torn on what to do - my equivalent skill level on PC is lower than a lot of people when it comes to shooting, but I feel that's a little less important in this game (at least casually) so I'd possibly perform better on console, on the other hand this looks lovely on PC with the higher framerate etc and just 'feeling' like a PC game. I'm I wrong in thinking that not being a great shot is still ok for this game?

What characters do you play?

Though honestly I think people tend to overestimate the difficulty curve of going from console to PC. Especially in overwatch where there are quite a number of characters where the skill comes from gamesense and overall game knowledge moreso than aiming.

Also part of the fun is getting better.

The console version is 60fps 99.8% of the time

Fitts

Just started playing on PC. Played the beta on PS4 and liked it, but wanted to try it on PC before purchasing because I prefer to relax on my couch with a controller instead of using mouse/kb. They're getting my money.

So a question: what characters should I be playing? I've been using mostly Zenyatta, Lucio, and a bit of Junkrat. All feel good on pad. I tried Ana because I liked the abilities, but sniper on pad without the auto aim from the consoles ain't great. What other characters would be good for a pad player on PC?

ramyeon

I have enjoyed playing Sombra in quick play. She's fun to handle and her kit is interesting. I usually end up gold elims and gold damage too.

Top Bottom