• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Mediking

Has anybody figured out whose Athena? I played during the free weekend and it hit me that Athena might be a person... or just tech.

The guy who made the Lucio King of Swing video recently moved to PC and blew others criticisms about how it was only because console out the fucking window

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcA3cCQfe3s

cR5TX.gif

That's fucking awesome. What a beast! How the hell do you wallslide like that?

Owzers

It's good that you didn't group up with us now, you just dodged a bullet.

Nah, you play really good characters so it's just a matter of finding the right comp. And we also can't give them a chance to come back from a 4vs1. Happened yesterday on King's Row with a Genji and today with a Tracer. This last one was incredibly frustrating after such a great delay on the 1st checkpoint.

We also had a Sombra on our team this two games, so that doesn't help. I'm not feeling like playing comp again without a 6-stack, or just soloq. If you have a team of 3-4 the randoms usually take advantage of that because they assume the group will guarantee the support so they can just fuck around.

That match where the randoms immediately went Sombra and widowmaker.

:/

When I'm soloqing I'm on my close to best behavior. Most times...

Blues1990

Point B, Hanamura, defense.

I'm Harambe and I see this Pharrah trying to come in from the outdoor balcony. I then remember my wild monkey instincts and start leaping wildly at this Pharrah into the air, zapping her as I go along my way, and end up chasing her all the way back to the Attacker's spawn, up on top of the pagoda for point A (was sliding along geometry zapping at her), ultimately culminating in a *Pharrah* falling to her death off the side of the stage. The entire rest of the match I kept leaping at her, and you could smell her fear.

Match ends, and I get messages of terror and fear of my high jumping gorilla antics. Next match, well they played Symmetra, and what better to ruin a turret placer's day than a zap happy gorilla?

They ended up sending me a friend request lmao.

Winston was the best scientist we've ever had.

DevilDog

Damn that's fucking awesome, lol.

PC elitists are so annoying, a good player is a good player, I don't care what they're playing on.

PC elitists will never stop, I'm always embarassed to be a part of this community when people mention PCMR stuff.

On the happy side, I'm glad more people are coming to PC for this game.

Ramirez

PC elitists will never stop, I'm always embarassed to be a part of this community when people mention PCMR stuff.

On the happy side, I'm glad more people are coming to PC for this game.

Yea, I mean is there a gap between them? Perhaps, but I think it would get slimmer once the console player put in the time on PC. Just kills me when people act like a top 500 player on console would some how be a Bronze tier player on PC.

caesar

Banned
Where do you think that player would rank? Not bronze, sure, but aim and movement wise, there is a huge gap.

Tbh its totally independent except for game knowledge. If you have previous experience in PC FPS it will definitely help, but nothing else matters in terms of mechanics.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Was matched against a team with 3 people in placements while in my team no one is in placements.

MMjesus thank you.

IISANDERII

Just trying this over the free weekend and it's really fun. I was dying too fast so I chose Mercy so I'm mostly healing but even that's really fun as you rack up assists and capture points. Used her for several games and got many likes in post match.
Then somebody chose her and we were lacking a defensive so I went with Bastion and kicked ass going 17-7, most kills in the match.

I'm invested in Titanfall 2 but will pick this up at Black Friday if good deals!

Skii

The guy who made the Lucio King of Swing video recently moved to PC and blew others criticisms about how it was only because console out the fucking window

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcA3cCQfe3s

Amazing work. I definitely believe that the controls GM players are using on consoles is significantly harder to control than on PC. It's no surprise that with far more control, he shot right up to GM on PC as well.

It also goes to show how important just knowing the mechanics of this game is. His aim probably isn't as good as these veteran PC GM players but he clearly has an amazing understanding of what's going on in a game and what's required of him.

Damn that's fucking awesome, lol.

PC elitists are so annoying, a good player is a good player, I don't care what they're playing on.

Yeah exactly. Jellie and I moved to PC recently and we both made it to our PS4 ranks fairly quickly. I'm sure if you moved, you'd be high diamond/master within a month. My accuracy on PC is absolutely awful but because I understand game mechanics from my time on PS4, it means I can still do relatively decent on PC.

NeoRaider

It's disgusting what they did to Soldier for no reason! With Pharah and many others i can barely do anything against him 1 on 1 now, he is just too strong.

Antiwhippy

Impressions on my first full session back:

- sombra is pretty much a troll pick at this point.
- EMP is good but people don't seem to know what to do with it. Only time where I was truly devastated by an emp was when it was combined with soldier ult.
- Holy crap DVa.
- Holy crap soldier.
- Haven't touched the arcade stuff.
- My wins heavily feature an enemy mercy and my losses feature my team having a mercy.
- Ana is still the goddess of healing even with ult nerf.
- Mei is still truly bae.

Also I gained like 150 SR ever since returning.

Still surprised at how fun 1v1 is. I didn't expect it to work at all.

Impressions on my first full session back:

- sombra is pretty much a troll pick at this point.
- EMP is good but people don't seem to know what to do with it. Only time where I was truly devastated by an emp was when it was combined with soldier ult.
- Holy crap DVa.
- Holy crap soldier.
- Haven't touched the arcade stuff.
- My wins heavily feature an enemy mercy and my losses feature my team having a mercy.
- Ana is still the goddess of healing even with ult nerf.
- Mei is still truly bae.

Also I gained like 150 SR ever since returning.

EMP is really good when combined with graviton, the enemy team is basically helpless.

HMD

Is solo Queue hopeless when you're under 2700 on PS4? I had a bad week with all the DPS/Sombra picks in solo queue and I dropped from 2780 to 2450. At my current rank teammates are noticeably... dumber? I usually get silver or bronze eliminations and I main Lucio.

Skii

Is solo Queue hopeless when you're under 2700 on PS4? I had a bad week with all the DPS/Sombra picks in solo queue and I dropped from 2780 to 2450. At my current rank teammates are noticeably... dumber? I usually get silver or bronze eliminations and I main Lucio.

Solo queue is fine. You're either just really unlucky or you're not as good as you think and need to improve. Blizzard have admitted that they place people to highly and are fixing it for S3.

Lucio also gets a lot of chip damage in so don't really pay attention to silver/bronze elims. If you're getting gold, then you know your DPS is the problem. Lucio might be hard to carry with if your team is not unified so maybe try Zarya or Ana when you can to see if you have more impact.

Antiwhippy

Still surprised at how fun 1v1 is. I didn't expect it to work at all.

EMP is really good when combined with graviton, the enemy team is basically helpless.

Eh, I mean it's pretty much like graviton to earthshatter/blizzard. It's good, but right now I'll take the immediate utility of a rein/mei over the emp graviton combo.

But yeah, I do want to see her one people figure her out. Not going to be me though, I don't seem to be able to figure her out myself.

HMD

Solo queue is fine. You're either just really unlucky or you're not as good as you think and need to improve. Blizzard have admitted that they place people to highly and are fixing it for S3.

Lucio also gets a lot of chip damage in so don't really pay attention to silver/bronze elims. If you're getting gold, then you know your DPS is the problem. Lucio might be hard to carry with if your team is not unified so maybe try Zarya or Ana when you can to see if you have more impact.

I'm so bad with Zarya and I'm still not used to Ana that much. I'm playing her a lot in Quick Play though, I need to practice with her I guess.

AbaFadi

Banned

Solo q just sucks at whatever SR you're at tbh. It might get a little better the higher you go, but don't expect any significant improvements. I still have teams that struggle with basic things like taking out a symmetra teleporter or killing a mercy before she ults.

Danj

Are the 1v1 duels set up like competitive for matchmaking or something? How many duels do you have to lose before the game will set you up with someone you have a chance of winning against?

DevilDog

People who quit the voice chat because "People are rude and you can't take it"

Seriously, join the goddamned voice chat and mute anyone who is being an asshole, you're being an even bigger asshole by not being there to communicate with.

For comps, comms are necessairy.

Seriously, join the goddamned voice chat and mute anyone who is being an asshole, you're being an even bigger asshole by not being there to communicate with.

There is literally no dimension where avoiding voice chat due to harassment is being a bigger asshole than those who do the harassing, lol.

Nah sorry, I'd rather just go into games knowing I won't deal with any assholes than worrying about your precious team comp.

Antiwhippy

Whippy, I don't think Mercy is that bad right now ;~;

People at my level are.

Or at least I'd rather have a ana or zen to accompany my lucio in koth, which was pretty much my only loss today.

The others were wins where it came down to sombra or mercy not being able to do anything.

DevilDog

There is literally no dimension where avoiding voice chat due to harassment is being a bigger asshole than those who do the harassing, lol.
You're annoying every other teammate that uses their mics and wants to cooperate. It is unthinkable to me that people still have it off by default.
The worst part is when the team reflects on itself and discusses what we should do, and someone quits the voice chat because "we're toxic".

Then switches to symmetra and says "no heals for you!". Even though we could have won.
Nah sorry, I'd rather just go into games knowing I won't deal with any assholes than worrying about your precious team comp.

Quick play is the perfect place to not worry about that you know. And even still, it's no excuse, you can mute the assholes from the beginning. You're incredibly annoying to anyone who takes the game seriously and wants to play with others.

Think about someone else, rather than yourselves only, that's the compromise we make when we're working with others to achieve a common goal.

Quick play is the perfect place to not worry about that you know. And even still, it's no excuse, you can mute the assholes from the beginning. You're incredibly annoying to anyone who takes the game seriously and wants to play with others.

Think about someone else, rather than yourselves only, that's the compromise we make when we're working with others to achieve a common goal.

Had a long multi-paragraph response to this, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ works just as well and I don't have to get as heated about this.

I probably take the game more seriously than autolock Genji #493932 or Attacker #3 that spams "we need a healer."

DevilDog

Don't get heated, I just wrote what I wrote to make people aware.

It feels like so many peeps think that leaving the voice chat is fine and everyone is okay with it, when it's not.

At least in cs people were usually all over the voice chat, making threads constantly reminding people to get mics if they're going into comps. So coming from there and into Overwatch is kind of a shock.

Owzers

I've only run into a couple annoying comp chat people on ps4, turning off chat completely seems extreme in a team game just to avoid the chance of that happening.

I've only run into a couple annoying comp chat people on ps4, turning off chat completely seems extreme in a team game just to avoid the chance of that happening.
Literally my second ever solo-queue comp game had some super obnoxious asshole screaming at the team the whole game. Even had some people get really pissy after being relatively calm for most of the game. So yeah, team chat feels pretty useless to me overall.

Antiwhippy

Most of mine are just people who are pretty quiet throughout the game, to the point where you didn't think anyone is on chat, and then at the end they just say ggs.

Had a reaper thank me for sleeping the enemy reaper who was chasing him down though, so that was nice.

Hugstable

Banned
How's the population on Xbox One? Tried it out during the Free Weekend and seems to run fine on XB1, but was wondering if it was easy to find matches before the free weekend thing. Don't mind getting it on PC/PS4, but been playing alot on my xb1 recently and been giving it love (got an elite controller lol) so I would like to get it there as long as the population is still decent and doesn't take awhile to find games.

Don't get heated, I just wrote what I wrote to make people aware.

It feels like so many peeps think that leaving the voice chat is fine and everyone is okay with it, when it's not.

At least in cs people were usually all over the voice chat, making threads constantly reminding people to get mics if they're going into comps. So coming from there and into Overwatch is kind of a shock.

A lot of my disdain comes from playing online with my younger sister. Shit's like night and day, makes all of the idiots come out.

I'm not dumb, I know that teamwork is going to take a significant hit when someone doesn't communicate. On the other hand, I'm not going to fault anyone who doesn't want to deal with it either.

Anne

I've been playing a lot of Mei lately. I can't believe I ever thought this character didn't deal enough damage.

Top Bottom