• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Gorillaz

i can see how sombra can be really good, but i just find her really tedious to play. it just doesn't feel fun to me.
She will be the new genji. Her kit is really something else. Once people wrap their heads around her abilities it will be scary. Alot of Potential.

Oh another funny thing that happened tonight - in the middle of the match as Lucio I thought for sure I was getting lag because I kept getting stuck and wasn't able to move and was like bouncing around in weird ways.

Turns out...it was because I kept bumping into a cloaked Sombra. Sombra is so good at hacking she can emulate lag. :|

I believe it. Learning to play tracer is the same way for me.

I weave in and out of fights. Just...blink in take my shots, blink, shoot, blink, shoot. Enemies can rarely orient themselves to actually get enough hits in to kill me. And when tehy're about to, or when I've run out of blinks? Rewind. I literally reset my character, and they're stuck with the damage they have. If I haven't killed them, then usually a teammate finishes their limping selves off.

Really, playing tracer should be illegal. She's such a troll.

I'm finally getting comfortable enough with Tracer where I feel like in season 3 I'll play more of her in competitive. As much as everyone was talking that Sombra was going to be Tracer 2.0 and why would anyone play her, I think Tracer's toolkit is just so much more useful for constant harassment.

Played a comp match on Gibraltar and I said fuck it and chose Tracer on defense. They pushed the payload to the other side of the bridge, but then I snuck around and just continually harassed them from behind, so the team was basically stuck under the bridge because the rest of my team was holding the payload, but every time they turned to advance I would pop up behind them and harass, so they had to turn around to deal with me which gave my team openings to kill them. It ended up being a pretty satisfying victory.

I definitely think Tracer is my favorite Offense to play, although I end up playing Soldier/Reaper more often in competitive just because of counterpicks (Soldier for Pharahs/mid-range problems, Reaper for tank-heavy enemy teams).

RedRum

Banned
Played my first game of Overwatch last night. In the realm of CoD, BF1, and TF2.. I had the best fucking time with this game. I want to pick this up, but I am afraid of the player count on XB1.

AbaFadi

Banned
Actually especially against reinhardt.

Those poor reins desperately hopping backwards with the shield up, unable to get away, as my whole team descends upon him.

To play mei is to bring out the sadist in yourself.

Getting walled off is seriously one of the most annoying things in the game. What I hate the most about Mei's kit isn't the fact she freezes you, but being seperated from your teammates and getting picked off and ending a push early.

Elimination is too much fun. Hoping they eventually patch in 6v6 elim with a larger map

I was thinking about how this would work. Would you just do 6v6 in a big arena like map? Or is there a way to do 6v6 on regular maps but throw in an objective or something so people don't camp the whole time (like Search and Destroy).

You still have to be 25 to go ranked right? Doubt anyone can level up that much at the time given.

Even then, you'd have to have a pretty low MMR to actually be matched up with them.

Perhaps someone could look at my stats online and assess if I'm painfully below average as a player? I did stop playing for two months or so and just picked it back up again with Sombra's release so I'm sure there is some rust to shake off but game by game I've been doing pretty good today just that Ive been on the losing team for every single competitive match today without fail. I've never experienced that before. I just dropped below 2000 and my jaw has hit the floor.

Psn: Incitesyne

I got matched with a duo of Unranked people while I'm sitting at 3400 SR. They were awful. No clue what they were doing at all. No clue what they were doing in my game, especially since I had been placed with at least one trailer park reject each game who wanted to whine the whole game about everyone but themselves.

Switched over to Titanfall. Had a blast. I'm close enough to 3500 that I'll probably end up playing more just for the comp points, but it definitely hasn't been fun the last couple of days.

I got matched with a duo of Unranked people while I'm sitting at 3400 SR. They were awful. No clue what they were doing at all. No clue what they were doing in my game, especially since I had been placed with at least one trailer park reject each game who wanted to whine the whole game about everyone but themselves.

Switched over to Titanfall. Had a blast. I'm close enough to 3500 that I'll probably end up playing more just for the comp points, but it definitely hasn't been fun the last couple of days.

The game might have put them on your team to "balance" the teams.

Of course, it doesn't account for the fact that they're worse than useless.

ramyeon

Does anyone want to play Heroes of the Storm with a total beginner to help me get the Genji skin? Just going through the tutorials now.

xaosslug

after 3ish minutes, finally find a match. Defence of Eichenwalde, team composition looks like Torb, D.Va, Ana, Bastion, Junkrat, and Roadhog... the Roadhog's not feeling the composition and quits ending the match, thankfully.

it's gotta be a sign. Dodged a bullet? I'm done for the night.

Supposedly you can't be matched with people in placement from diamond upwards, but I was matched with a pair as well. Fortunately they weren't bad.

I was playing some comp Saturday night and I'm not sure why but I started going up by over 100 points per win. I was pretty drunk at the time so I'm not sure if I was on a win streak but I went from 2450-2850 with a record of 7-7
I do remember one game where I finished with 5 golds so maybe that had something to do with it.

komaruR

Does anyone want to play Heroes of the Storm with a total beginner to help me get the Genji skin? Just going through the tutorials now.
I skipped the tutorial and went blind run lol.
Luckily it wasnt a complicated game to understand. I do understand a bit of moba gameplay since i did play warcraft3 before and a bit of LoL.

Just finished up a bunch of brawl matches with a group of friends so we could get the arcade loot boxes. Holy shit was that a ton of fun. Justice Rains From Above (Pharah and Mercy only) on Eichenwald was my favorite. Everyone was dogfighting in the sky, but my pocket Mercy and I just stealth pushed the cart. Then crazy shootouts on the push to the final point.

maomaoIYP

Perhaps someone could look at my stats online and assess if I'm painfully below average as a player? I did stop playing for two months or so and just picked it back up again with Sombra's release so I'm sure there is some rust to shake off but game by game I've been doing pretty good today just that Ive been on the losing team for every single competitive match today without fail. I've never experienced that before. I just dropped below 2000 and my jaw has hit the floor.

Your top 4 characters in QP seem to have pretty average stats. That steep drop in SR looks incredibly painful though.

Cappa

Banned

Using your mic helps. :) I think you were grouped up with us on Saturday and you either had chat disabled or just werent paying attention.

Veelk

Banned
You know, I just realized.

Blizzard has finally removed a blatant and unnecessary obstacle to how they balance their games. When stacking was allowed, they balanced the game around that. When stacking was removed in competitive, but left in QP, they had the issue of trying to balance 2 different modes.

For example, console Torbjorn's turret damage was perfectly fine, but it was not managable if there were 3 off them on the field. Now that only 1 Torb is permitted in any game, they can just focus on balancing the game around a single game mode.

This means that we might see some buffs to characters that would be otherwise overpowered if you could use multiples of them.

Cappa

Banned
This means that we might see some buffs to characters that would be otherwise overpowered if you could use multiples of them.

Buffs and nerfs always revolved around competitive play, that theyve disabled stacking in QP and just created a new mode in Arcade called No Limits makes little difference as to whom they buff and nerf... I think.

You know, I just realized.

Blizzard has finally removed a blatant and unnecessary obstacle to how they balance their games. When stacking was allowed, they balanced the game around that. When stacking was removed in competitive, but left in QP, they had the issue of trying to balance 2 different modes.

For example, console Torbjorn's turret damage was perfectly fine, but it was not managable if there were 3 off them on the field. Now that only 1 Torb is permitted in any game, they can just focus on balancing the game around a single game mode.

They'll hopefully at least revert Torb's nerf. I imagine Symmetra's turrets will have some damage tweaks whenever she gets reworked.

Veelk

Banned
Buffs and nerfs always revolved around competitive play, that theyve disabled stacking in QP and just created a new mode in Arcade called No Limits makes little difference as to whom they buff and nerf... I think.

Then why is Torb still doing only 2/3's of the damage he should be (on consoles...though he could use a rework on PC too)? Though I do agree they've mostly been balancing around competitive, but they have left changes they made based around stacking intact.

It just kind of frustrates me that they focus on trying to balance already popular picks like Soldier 76 to some ideal perfection when other characters that could truly shake up the meta if they were good enough to actually use get neglected.

In fairness, Blizzard is extremely cautious and they probably have good reasons and I sympathize that balancing 23 characters is a monstrous task, but some of the changes needed are just so obvious.

Cappa

Banned
Then why is Torb still doing only 2/3's of the damage he should be (on consoles...though he could use a rework on PC too)? Though I do agree they've mostly been balancing around competitive, but they have left changes they made based around stacking intact.

It just kind of frustrates me that they focus on trying to balance already popular picks like Soldier 76 to some ideal perfection when other characters that could truly shake up the meta if they were good enough to actually use get neglected.

In fairness, Blizzard is extremely cautious and they probably have good reasons, but some of the changes needed are just so obvious.

Well I mean, they "buffed" Torb with his scrap generating which makes him soemewhat viable. Ive also seen Torb being picked more on PSN post patch in Comp play and doing pretty well. He could probably use another buff like you say but I think hes in a better spot now than before, I personally still wouldnt pick him tho lol

ramyeon

I skipped the tutorial and went blind run lol.
Luckily it wasnt a complicated game to understand. I do understand a bit of moba gameplay since i did play warcraft3 before and a bit of LoL.
It's actually pretty fun. But dead easy with a full party vs beginner AI lol.

Veelk

Banned
Well I mean, they "buffed" Torb with his scrap generating which makes him soemewhat viable. Ive also seen Torb being picked more on PSN post patch in Comp play and doing pretty well. He could probably use another buff like you say but I think hes in a better spot now than before, I personally still wouldnt pick him tho lol

Players tend to pick whoever's been buffed somewhat regularly. Attack Torb still makes me cry whenever I see him. And Widowmakers.....*sigh*

As a shortlist, here are the changes I'd like to see:

I actually like Pharah's rockets giving a slight knockback effect. It's a bit harder to aim, but it also disorients the enemy and it also provides a challenge to the pharah player to aim properly instead of just spamming them on a target. I'd rather give her 50-100 armor to survive McCree's better (though on console this is less of an issue).

I think Sombra could use a tiny bit less health or less DPS, but I want to see how she fits into the game more before I make final say.

Genji needs to let the last swing land before sheathing his sword if the timer ran out midswing, rather than stopping the attack. It's just annoying and unfair.

Widowmaker needs a total rework. She's just awful, especially on console where precision aiming is a fantasy. IMO, reduce her grapple cooldown as much as possible, let her throw down more venom mines than 1, and rework her ultimate to have some kind offensive capability.

Torb could use a damage upgrade on his turret.

Mercy needs something done with her. Her survivability is helped by her buff, but I still can't get over how she can only do one thing at a time, while all other support heroes multitask, yet they all do a comparable job to her. She serves no purpose at the moment that can't be filled by other characters. I don't know what to do with her, but something is in order.

I see no reason why Soldier's buff needs to be as significant as it is. I don't think he needed a buff at all, but if he's going to get one, this is too much. It went from 17 to 20. 18.5 at best, please.

I'd like to see players have to work harder for Zarya's energy charge. I think she'd be a more interesting character if a shield only gave a max of 30% charge, because it's just so ridiculous easy to build them up as is. Make them earn that redonkulous damage she does.

Maybe up the speed of Hanzo's ult? It's so easy to avoid that it barely gets any kills and is limited at best as an area denial.

D.Va should have an infinite DM that she can still fire through because she's the best ever.

Other than that, I'm mostly satisfied with Blizzard's game. I'd have to see what they do with Symmetra before I comment on her.

yeah torb needs another buff before I'd consider using him in comp, especially since I just got woodclad and want to use him more ;)

1 HL is a godsend though

Veelk

Banned
Knowing you I'm surprised that there's no mention for mei. >_> <_<

I feel my hatred drifts from hero to hero as I play more .

I first hated Mei. Then I learned to hate Tracer, as I ran into more good tracers. Then for a while, there was a balance between the two. Part of it is that as I change characters, the ones that are effective against me also change. If I were maining Reinhardt, Sombra's would be the bane of my existence right now. As is, not so much. It's a matter of where you stand, and what the current patches are. Still, her icicle thing could be reworked.

I feel Junkrat is the most annoying hero of them all right now. Not in an overpowered way, not like I'd nerf him or anything, but I always hate dying to him when he's clearly not even aiming and just spamming grenades in my general direction and I just happened to get hit. Or when he just throws out his mine and detonates it so immediately that there's no way to react to it. It doesn't help that I'm learning to play tracer, whose Junkrat's personal prey. His grenade spams are even more dangerous to her, and his traps leave me helpless.

Blues1990

yeah torb needs another buff before I'd consider using him in comp, especially since I just got woodclad and want to use him more ;)

1 HL is a godsend though

What would you suggest for another buff for the "Swedish" dwarf? A part of his offensive tool kit his turret, so it's important to not go overboard with the damage buffs for either.

Top Bottom