• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
See.

Bring in the mei.

And everything will be fine.

She's so fucking good against those heroes it's driving me crazy that so few tried it.

I-hate-u

Characters like AnaMei who build their ults fast are more valuable now. I love Zarya even after the barrier nerf, but it feels like forever before she gets her ult.

Anne

Welp. I hope LH learns a lesson from that. I extra hope Esca learns to stop extending.

I also hope the team as a whole practices for this new patch. A lot of the top S1-S2 teams are struggling really hard with this patch.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Esca mei nearly turned the game for them, but damn, I feel like you really need a soldier in this meta and he's the soldier player too.

Too bad leetaejun can't flex to anything other than genji and roadhog. Roadhog is good but it means esca has to make the choice between soldier or mei.

I see all of you talking about complex strategies and Im just trying to not suck too bad.

Played for a few hours now and my God is Bastion so annoying!

He is ridiculously Op! In 90% of the matches he has the play of the game even if his team lost.

I am enjoying playing with Lucio, the gorilla one (I keep calling him Grodd lol) and Mei.

Those are the only ones I seems to be able to use with any effiency.

Very good game though!

Anne

I don't think you need Soldier all the time, but you will need him often. I think a lot of teams struggled with hero pools going from S1-S2 and dropped players. It's about time to get flexible or get out at this point. DPS players in particular really need to break out of sticking to just 3~ heroes at a time. Also special shouts to Rein players needing to expand too.

I-hate-u

9KwMvGl.png

Tank meta is dead, they said.

Anne

http://i.imgur.com/9KwMvGl.png
Tank meta is dead, they said.

Tbf Taimou immediately switched to Reaper and they won the first fight extremely hard. 3 tank is still alive atm though, just in a different form. Nanoboost is still incredibly stupid and probably needs more nerfs. Roadhog is also approaching "holy shit this is stupid" levels on his ability to carry. He's not even a tank at this point, he's a carry that happens to feed Ana ult meter.

I've been calling out Roadhog for a while as the "this isn't considered OP now but will probably be eventually" and it's starting to show that it might be going that way. People are getting good enough to get stupid consistent hooks and M2s, and the options to counterplay it in general are getting worse. Soldier being better against him now is kind of nice, but he can't get damage to him behind a shield and DM right now.

The Diamond dream is fading...

Anyone in the 2700-2800 range on PC (NA) want to duo to see if we can get Diamond before the end of the season? I'm pretty sure I could get there with more time but I've stopped playing on weekends and it's been tough with the end of season players and Sombra being dropped.

I'll be on after 4 PM EST today, then 6 PM EST tomorrow, and available all day on Wednesday.

Couldave been within 100 points of diamond tonight, but ran into three games with people who were there just to throw cause its then end of the season, and now I have to do 250 points in like the 6 hours I'll have till the end :/

So much for reaching that tier before the 23rd.

Too bad they dont get perma'd from the damn game/comp for doing that shit.

End of season shenanigans are real. My last competitive match was with two diamond players on Torb and Symmetra in KOTH that intentionally threw the match starting from the first round. They sat outside of spawn the entire time shit talking everyone on the team for no reason. I just... ugh.

Want to duo some comp and see if we can get diamond this week before the season ends?

I see all of you talking about complex strategies and Im just trying to not suck too bad.

Played for a few hours now and my God is Bastion so annoying!

He is ridiculously Op! In 90% of the matches he has the play of the game even if his team lost.

I am enjoying playing with Lucio, the gorilla one (I keep calling him Grodd lol) and Mei.

Those are the only ones I seems to be able to use with any effiency.

Very good game though!

Bastion is first level OP. Imagine Bastion as the Matador or Water Temple or the wolf thing from Metal Gear Rising. Once you learn how to deal with Bastion you've got a decent handle on the game and can start learning more complex strategies.

Like complaining about Junkrat.

antitrop

One of the best ways to take out Bastions is Zenyatta's Orb Volley. He'll be dead before he can even think about changing form or healing.

Soldier Helix Rocket with a quick burst for follow up does the job quickly too.

Anne

Just doing some thinking on RH while I'm here. I don't think I need to make out the major pluses he has, but the negatives are pretty much disappearing.

- He's a giant ult battery for the enemy team
Yeah, but after self healing built ult, Ana's existing, and the charge changes this is minor. Plus factor in that RHs have gotten better and can control this much more

- He's bad in a big dumb ult fight
Which are less common, and his CC is indirectly better at dealing with other strats now. Not to mention Nanoboost makes him much better at this anyways.

- If he misses hook or has to reload he gets jumped on
Lucio was nerfed and dive comps are less popular. The game is slower now. RHs have gotten better at avoiding that situation in general too.

So like, a lot of major drawbacks are going away from him, meanwhile pro players are using M2 to one shot squishies or pressure tanks while landing hook consistently. D.Va is better at defending him, and he beats D.Va's DM. Zarya gets less from fighting him now. Reaper is seeing less play in general for a number of reasons. The only legit downside is that Soldier is good at fighting him now, but things like D.Va and Rein and Ana and all sorts of other shit make that less of an issue than it could be.

I think the only reason not to pick him is if you really need that slot to make a dive team since he's not good at that, but that's about it. It's really his time to shine.

Characters like AnaMei who build their ults fast are more valuable now. I love Zarya even after the barrier nerf, but it feels like forever before she gets her ult.
I was on watchpoint Gibraltar last night as zarya, didn't get my ult until the final corner of the third phase....

Skii

Another reason to be pissed off at people who don't announce their ult is up.

Tell me about it. I don't know how many times I have to spam graviton surge is ready until the brain dead Genji/Pharah/Tracer on my team tells me what their ult charge is like. Then I'm forced to type out in chat that I need to know their ult charge and then they tell me it when it's at 3%...

I almost never get a good value graviton in competitive because my team flat out refuses to try and combo it.

Just doing some thinking on RH while I'm here. I don't think I need to make out the major pluses he has, but the negatives are pretty much disappearing.

- He's a giant ult battery for the enemy team
Yeah, but after self healing built ult, Ana's existing, and the charge changes this is minor. Plus factor in that RHs have gotten better and can control this much more

- He's bad in a big dumb ult fight
Which are less common, and his CC is indirectly better at dealing with other strats now. Not to mention Nanoboost makes him much better at this anyways.

- If he misses hook or has to reload he gets jumped on
Lucio was nerfed and dive comps are less popular. The game is slower now. RHs have gotten better at avoiding that situation in general too.

So like, a lot of major drawbacks are going away from him, meanwhile pro players are using M2 to one shot squishies or pressure tanks while landing hook consistently. D.Va is better at defending him, and he beats D.Va's DM. Zarya gets less from fighting him now. Reaper is seeing less play in general for a number of reasons. The only legit downside is that Soldier is good at fighting him now, but things like D.Va and Rein and Ana and all sorts of other shit make that less of an issue than it could be.

I think the only reason not to pick him is if you really need that slot to make a dive team since he's not good at that, but that's about it. It's really his time to shine.
Hmm that may end up being true for the pros but considering Soldier tears him apart like you said and of course almost every comp team I see is running a soldier because he was just buffed. Plus I don't have the benefit of a coordinated team. I think I did better with him before the patch.

Redmoon

The Diamond dream is fading...

Anyone in the 2700-2800 range on PC (NA) want to duo to see if we can get Diamond before the end of the season? I'm pretty sure I could get there with more time but I've stopped playing on weekends and it's been tough with the end of season players and Sombra being dropped.

I'll be on after 4 PM EST today, then 6 PM EST tomorrow, and available all day on Wednesday.

End of season shenanigans are real. My last competitive match was with two diamond players on Torb and Symmetra in KOTH that intentionally threw the match starting from the first round. They sat outside of spawn the entire time shit talking everyone on the team for no reason. I just... ugh.

Want to duo some comp and see if we can get diamond this week before the season ends?

Sure. Redmoon#1256. However I don't usually get on till 6-7est weekdays. Also, I'll probably stop for the season the moment we hit diamond, if we do. Rather play it safe than be sorry and fall down a troll hole ;)

Greddleok

Tell me about it. I don't know how many times I have to spam graviton surge is ready until the brain dead Genji/Pharah/Tracer on my team tells me what their ult charge is like. Then I'm forced to type out in chat that I need to know their ult charge and then they tell me it when it's at 3%...

I almost never get a good value graviton in competitive because my team flat out refuses to try and combo it.

Actually a good reason to not play Zarya any more in solo queue. Her ult builds sooooo slowly, and it's useless without support.

D.Va on the other hand...ult builds pretty quickly still, tons of damage, tons of survivability, can completely negate those pesky Soldiers and eats all those Widowmakers for breakfast.

Cappa

Banned
Ult management is a serious consideration now. So many list fights due to ult mismanagement today.

It always was, but now its pretty much the difference between a win and a loss.

We played a team that would successfully use a Sombra and Soldier Ult combo on us just about every time until we finally made some changes on defense but at that point theyd already made it near point 3 on Gibraltar.

Using your Ults to early.... or to late... can swing momentum in matches instantly...

Tfw when you are facing your team's Tracer as Zarya, saying my "ult is ready - group up" and she doesn't get it...

Actually a good reason to not play Zarya any more in solo queue. Her ult builds sooooo slowly, and it's useless without support.

D.Va on the other hand...ult builds pretty quickly still, tons of damage, tons of survivability, can completely negate those pesky Soldiers and eats all those Widowmakers for breakfast.
Zarya used to be my carry pick ;_;

Paltheos

I haven't tried Dva since the patch but I can say from all the time I've spent on Zarya that she takes ludicrously long to melt through, even with high charge. I think some of that armor should just be raw health. She's a bit much right now, but we'll see how everything pans out.

xaosslug

For those who went from PS4 to PC, do you think it was worth it?

One thing I noticed from watching streams is that you always get to play against different people when you're at the higher ranks which is really nice. I know I won't get anywhere near as high on PC as I did on PS4, but I think it would be good to play with a more diverse pool of people at whatever skill level I end up at. It got to the point where I knew what a lot of people on the other team would use.

If I mainly played tanks on PS4 (D.Va, Reinhardt, Zarya, learning Winston) how difficult would it be to transition if I did the same on PC since they aren't as aiming intensive as DPS heroes? I made it to grandmaster on PS4, where do you guys think that would put me on PC?

personally speaking, I don't think it's worth it unless ur PC setup is the same as your console setup... I mean going from the comfort of my bed/sofa to an office chair sort of situation defeats the purpose of gaming, for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NeoRaider

Got 2 similar Mei Legendary skins in 2 days. Yeti Hunter and Abominable... now i don't know which one to pick.

But that feeling when you get Winston Legendary... :/

komaruR

yeah torb needs another buff before I'd consider using him in comp, especially since I just got woodclad and want to use him more ;)

1 HL is a godsend though
yesterday, i was watching dspstanky's stream and he was getting gm (he was a gm, but now he's trying to get back into gm) gated by a top500 player playing torbjorn on anubis atk and def. his turret was basically handicapping dspstanky from wallriding.

I'm sure its either that or your actual player level. I've done placement matches twice this season because i have a second account i use when i play with friends that suck or after i've had a few beers :p
Anyway, i think how it works is by assigning you an estimated rank based off your player level, then adjusts according to your placement performance.
E.g. if you're a level 300 player it may start you on 2500 before placement then move you up or down, where as if youre a level 25 you may only start on 2000.
Its only a theory but during placements on my main account (level 270 - SR 60 last season) i played terrible and placed at 2800 but on my second account (level 25) i played 10 fantastic games but only place at 2450.
when S2 started the placement system basically started everyone at 2500s regarding what lv you are in qp. because of that, there was a huge pool of players at 2500s. even the soon to be diamond, master, gm was all near to the 2500-3200 range, except for a the real pros.
i think how the systems works is it starts you off at a X range which is 2500s in S2 start then it will gauge you with the current pool of player and try to put you into what's closest to your SR. So basically players that started S2 early will get a lower SR (because alot of players in the 2500s and not a whole lot in the diamond+ yet) than if they do a placement near end of season when player base is already settle at their respective range.

For those who went from PS4 to PC, do you think it was worth it?

One thing I noticed from watching streams is that you always get to play against different people when you're at the higher ranks which is really nice. I know I won't get anywhere near as high on PC as I did on PS4, but I think it would be good to play with a more diverse pool of people at whatever skill level I end up at. It got to the point where I knew what a lot of people on the other team would use.

If I mainly played tanks on PS4 (D.Va, Reinhardt, Zarya, learning Winston) how difficult would it be to transition if I did the same on PC since they aren't as aiming intensive as DPS heroes? I made it to grandmaster on PS4, where do you guys think that would put me on PC?
how comfortable of using kb/m are you? I'm not talking about mouse precision but just laying your hands on a kb's wasd, spacebar for jump etc. if you're fine with it, I don't think you'll do too bad. you'll probably reach gm once you get proficient on the change of controls.

remember that dspstanking vindication video? well he did said he used to play a bit of pc games so he's no stranger to kb/m but his keys setup for lucio is really weird (jump= M2, spacebar = crossfade, shift=amp up). but since he already use an unothodox control on console, it just means he's capable of adapting to weird controls too.

Skii

Nah Zarya is still great for carrying. She has far too much DPS and range for a character with 400 health to not be great for solo queue. But it is difficult to get good value ults. You still usually get the guaranteed kill + loads of damage on others but it's not the ult that swings fights like it should considering how ridiculous it is.

Tfw when you are facing your team's Tracer as Zarya, saying my "ult is ready - group up" and she doesn't get it...

Yup, I remember that lol. If there was ever anyone that said they had an ultimate, I'd immediately say understood so they know I want to combo.

komaruR

I definitely like the Zarya beam change. I can now do constant damage to genji while he jumps all around. In the prepatch it only register pulsating damage which can barely do much damage on a constant moving genji.

Top Bottom