• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutombo

Two teams of three against 6 randoms?

Randoms won 8)

as far as team composition goes, which really is my only gripe in this game, it really doesn't matter if players are in a group or playing solo. Some just want to play their mains. Some look at what the team needs. I had three groups of two in my team and me and my friend where the only ones switching between tank and support.

"Ah, i'm not getting enough kills. Lets switch to another character, might get more kills then."

Jellie

Getting put with masters and diamonds in quick play and they keep complaining about them having a level 10 on their team. Feels bad man.

Wimps

Dropped 300 in rank last night. Love it. Found out teammates can't hear you in Group chat as well. Rocking Team chat now! Never stop learning I guess.

Add me if you want to team up and get some games in.

PSN: Wimpsyay

Blues1990

Personally i think that in most other games snipers in general are just not team players, they're in it for the kills and aren't generally trying to help the team.
Because OW is a team game, snipers just can't fit into it in the traditional sense, as going for most kills won't win you the objective.

My friends reply, FYI:

"But what about the sniper that covers other peoples back? In my case, I always look out for my team, communicate with them, and help them out so that they won't get slaughtered. For me, I don't give a rats ass about kill streaks; I'm more concerned with keeping my team alive and getting the objective done as a sniper. Can't do that with Ms. Bubble Butt in Overwatch.

And if it's supposed to be a team game, Widow Maker is usually separated from the main pack for most of the objective-based games (especially on KOTH). If the game is all about flow and co-operation, she doesn't fit in the game in the slightest."

Not sure how players in Platinum still think Torbjorn and Bastion are more preferable than a Tank or Healer, but my Block List has been growing exponentially lately.

adamy

Banned
My friends reply, FYI:

"But what about the sniper that covers other peoples back? In my case, I always look out for my team, communicate with them, and help them out so that they won't get slaughtered. For me, I don't give a rats ass about kill streaks; I'm more concerned with keeping my team alive and getting the objective done as a sniper. Can't do that with Ms. Bubble Butt in Overwatch.

And if it's supposed to be a team game, Widow Maker is usually separated from the main pack for most of the objective-based games (especially on KOTH). If the game is all about flow and co-operation, she doesn't fit in the game in the slightest."

New to Overwatch but I no-lifed TFC, TF2, etc. which many have, for good reasons, pointed out all the parallels between em and snipers have never played that role. I'm not sure what he is basing his expectations on. Snipers have historically never played that role in team games

having said that, isn't Ana a sniper which does exactly what your friend is asking for?

Anyways, you can tell your friend he's expecting snipers to play a role that they've never played in fortress/team games, even going as far back as Quake Team Fortress

Mendrox

The italics are my friend's replies, FYI.

"I want to play a pure sniper. Ana doesn't interest me, for the fact that she seems like a secondary healer to the main one on the team. She also has no way to score head shots (I know that's not the point for Ana, but it doesn't make sense to me that she's a sniper that can't get kills with headshots), and I had no luck with cooperating with teammates when they have/don't have their ults ready. I don't want to fire my Nano boost wildly and hope for the best, for one."

"Then why even put a charge in there? It feels like it sabotaging their own skill to put in there."

"You have to aim for headshots with her assault rile to do any killing damage. Even more so when there are characters that can sneak up or surprise you, and if you don't have a fast respond time, you're basically dead."

"But she is a reliability, unless you can ALWAYS land headshots. You're basically saying 'Leave her alone', and that sounds silly to me. There has to be some compensation, or else she will always be a mediocre character that will be played for laughs. If Blizzard doesn't want to change the above mentioned or rework her, then why is she even there? Snipers are supposed to be feared at a distance, but the fact that almost anyone can pick her off, makes it counterproductive to what a sniper is supposed to do in a team-based FPS."

Widow gets a little buff now with the new PTR patch. You friend doesn't know how brutal Widowmaker was before her nerf and Blizzard had to nerf her in that regard, because a good Widow was able to hold whole team. She just had to kill the squishy characters and after that she could chill. Her buff gives the skilled people are good advantage now.

Edit: Also your friend should play Ana. He sounds like an Ana player. Oh.. she is a support? How bad. Then tell him to stop playing this game if he doesn't have a support too to pick. At release people complained about people like him, because they only took sniper characters which were useless with that player base back then.

JoeNut

My friends reply, FYI:

I would agree, i don't think she fits or is necessary to be honest.

Mutombo

I suck at sniping, but back in the early days i sometimes switched to a widow maker to take out turrets, when there were like three of them in one game.

She should be a counter to the likes of roadhog, turrets, bastions, etc.

As far as road hog goes, what is a good counter against him? Zarya is one, and you'd want to have a zenyatta on your side. But good roadhogs are really difficult to deal with.

Blues1990

My friends replies in italics, etc.

New to Overwatch but I no-lifed TFC, TF2, etc. which many have, for good reasons, pointed out all the parallels between em and snipers have never played that role. I'm not sure what he is basing his expectations on. Snipers have historically never played that role in team games

having said that, isn't Ana a sniper which does exactly what your friend is asking for?

Anyways, you can tell your friend he's expecting snipers to play a role that they've never played in fortress/team games, even going as far back as Quake Team Fortress

"I'm not interested in healing and babysitting players, especially with those that won't co-operate with me with combining ults with Nano Boosting. She looks like a badass, but I'm not interested with playing a pure support character that's incapable of landing headshots. Everyone plays differently with different classes, and in CS, I co-operated with teammates to let them know when players are trying to flank them, etc."

Widow gets a little buff now with the new PTR patch. You friend doesn't know how brutal Widowmaker was before her nerf and Blizzard had to nerf her in that regard, because a good Widow was able to hold whole team. She just had to kill the squishy characters and after that she could chill. Her buff gives the skilled people are good advantage now.

Edit: Also your friend should play Ana. He sounds like an Ana player. Oh.. she is a support? How bad. Then tell him to stop playing this game if he doesn't have a support too to pick. At release people complained about people like him, because they only took sniper characters which were useless with that player base back then.

"I'm asking for your thoughts. Not negative comments. Of course there will be players that play certain characters, but if they can do their job well, then cool.

I can play Soldier 76 or Zenyatta just fine, so I can play a semi-healer when needed."

"Dude, you're cool. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels Widow Maker being out of place."

darklin0

Banned
YkOs9ak.png
Sombra when?

Edit: No one will ever know.

Welp, just managed to lose a match in the most spectacular fashion.

Volskaya on Offense, obliterated the enemy team on the first point so we start pushing the second. Only problem is whoever we left capping the first point left too and we didn't notice till everyone was on the second.....

I can't even be mad at that, best laugh this game has given me in ages

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ana should not be sniping 70% of the time, tbf.

I also really don't think there's a place in the game for widow currently. Problem is that when she had a place she was damn near oppressive.

Azoor

The new voice lines are intriguing, D.va's one is the most interesting. I wonder if we're gonna see a map set in Korea in the future.

PatjuhR

Widowmaker is still useful.

If you are good and hit your shots you can still kill the healers, or lower health on the whole enemy team to make them retreat and create openings for your team. Her ult can be useful aswell.

But if you are no good Widowmaker she is the most useless.

If you have good aim, you should just stick to McCree before the Widow buffs go live. He contributes better to teamfights and isn't a sitting duck. Her current slow scope speed and charge times make her a sitting duck, the upcoming buff makes her feel much better.

My friends reply, FYI:

The best game I've had as Widowmaker was on Dorado - the attacking team had pushed the payload up past the bridge choke point and was nearing the first checkpoint in the courtyard area. I as Widow hung back by spawn and just kept jumping around on buildings and shooting/distracting the enemies as they came back from spawn. I ended up helping my team because I'd headshot their Zen or their Junkrat would get distracted and come after me instead, so my team always had the numbers advantage at the actual payload, because I kept the team staggered and didn't allow them to group up.

I think playing Widow as a traditional hang back and shoot from afar sniper doesn't work well in this game, but there are ways to use her to help the team. But yeah I'd never play her on a KOTH map.

LiK

how viable is Roadhog in competitive?

I'm about to unlock competitive and I pretty much have the most fun playing him

90% of my playtime is probably on Lucio, Zarya, and Roahog. The remainder is split between Anna and Winston.

I tend to do best when I play Lucio (objectively speaking), but for some reason Roadhog is so damn satisfying to play. I do pretty well with Roadhog too tho, but again we're talking quick matches

Would be sad if everyone figured out some counter for him in competitive, rendering him shit tier.

EDIT: on a side note, went about 5 games straight with at least 2 D.Va on my team, shit was annoying as fuck. I don't get why the fuck D.Va is used so much. maybe because it's easy to get POTG with her ulti?

Roadhog is really good in Comp. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I've encountered some insanely good Roadhogs that destroyed me or my team in Diamond rank.

Widow is coming back?

Hehehe, Harambe is ready.

For sure. And this is why Widow can't be played like snipers in most games, even TF2 to an extent:

Mobility.

If I switch to D.Va, it doesn't matter where the Widow is. I'll fly straight toward her with a DM up and, unless she has a Roadhog to save her with a clutch hook, I'm going to get her. Winston is the same way. Pounce + punch, bubble + huge health pool.

The best Widows are the ones who use their grappling hook every time it comes off of cooldown, it seems.

But she still chips health away in spikes like crazy, so there's a place for her in the game. What there isn't a place for is the way she used to be on PC, where we'd see these absurd kill streak carryWidow videos just about every day.

darklin0

Banned
Roadhog is really good in Comp. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I've encountered some insanely good Roadhogs that destroyed me or my team in Diamond rank.

Road hog is awesome but as a newly made McCree main.... It's high nooooooooon! x10000

For sure. And this is why Widow can't be played like snipers in most games, even TF2 to an extent:

Mobility.

If I switch to D.Va, it doesn't matter where the Widow is. I'll fly straight toward her with a DM up and, unless she has a Roadhog to save her with a clutch hook, I'm going to get her. Winston is the same way. Pounce + punch, bubble + huge health pool.

The best Widows are the ones who use their grappling hook every time it comes off of cooldown, it seems.

But she still chips health away in spikes like crazy, so there's a place for her in the game. What there isn't a place for is the way she used to be on PC, where we'd see these absurd kill streak carryWidow videos just about every day.
Agreed, she still can be good but I always feel like it is chance for my team to play 6v5.
Ready to get sniped out of the air.
My Harambe is like a ninja, you wont know your dead till I whisper sweet nothings into your ears.

I love love love when there's a roadhog on the enemy team. Just any dps hero shooting that huge blob is so satisfying and good for building ults.

Its pretty easy to bait his hook aswell.

Mutombo

Zarya.

Zarya and winston are like OTP.

Hmm why though? Zen can heal winston from afar, and as long as there is eyesight (which you need for healing anyway) can discord enemies from as far as well, giving Winston a much needed damage boost.

I think Winston might be a tad too mobile for Zarya?

For that matter, isn't any tank together with Zarya pretty OP?

I can't recall ever actually doing it, but I imagine Tracer + Winston is probably pretty good.

I suspect this might work as well, Winston drawing attention, Tracer making the final kills.

I love love love when there's a roadhog on the enemy team. Just any dps hero shooting that huge blob is so satisfying and good for building ults.

Its pretty easy to bait his hook aswell.

I think I threw Tracer's bomb onto him twice last night: the first time he tanked it, and the second time he tanked it but walked over to a Lucio and killed him. On the plus side, I was building a lot of meter, and I got an elimination each time he died more or less.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm why though? Zen can heal winston from afar, and as long as there is eyesight (which you need for healing anyway) can discord enemies from as far as well, giving Winston a much needed damage boost.

I think Winston might be a tad too mobile for Zarya?

For that matter, isn't any tank together with Zarya pretty OP?

Winston being in the field longer = winston being fucking lethal.

Zarya shield does that while also turning herself lethal because winston is constantly taking damage from all directions if played correctly.

LiK

I hate fighting Roadhogs cuz he's the only hero I can't easily take out with my Junkrat/D.va. Hell, I'd rather fight a Zarya cuz at least I can get her HP down without her suddenly chugging shit in the middle of the fight and gaining HP back.

caesar

Banned
I hate fighting Roadhogs cuz he's the only hero I can't easily take out with my Junkrat/D.va. Hell, I'd rather fight a Zarya cuz at least I can get her HP down without her suddenly chugging shit in the middle of the fight and gaining HP back.

Buuut Zarya destroys junkrat and dva.

ISOM

People talking about Winston reminds me that the amount of Winstons I have seen in the past week or so have been insane compared to last season. Almost every match.

darklin0

Banned
I still refuse to use Winston to deal with a really good enemy Widow.
Depends on the their team I say, it is a risky choice if they are running both Hog and Reaper. You pretty much have to guarantee Widow is dead to make Winston worth running.

Add an enemy Zen and you can only focus widow and stay as a healer guard dog. At that point I say use someone else, too many counters on that team.

A McCree that knows how to keep his distance can be a great pick against Winston as well.
what would you say is a good combo teammate for Winston? I think my choice would be Zenyatta.
Zarya shield is great on Winston because popped at the right moment it will charge up her damage nicely. Zen is good at keeping him healed at a distance and discord is great for added damage.

Using the buddy system with a Reaper is one of my favorite things to do. Keep track of where he flanks and jump in before he drops in behind them. It is a great way of distracting their team and letting Reaper clean up almost uncontested.

Depends on the their team I say, it is a risky choice if they are running both Hog and Reaper. You pretty much have to guarantee Widow is dead to make Winston worth running.

Add an enemy Zen and you can only focus widow and stay as a healer guard dog. At that point I say use someone else, too many counters on that team.

A McCree that knows how to keep his distance can be a great pick against Winston as well.

Any team is a great team for dealing with Winston whenever I play him. It's like his entire hitbox is one giant headshot.

Last night I played a 12 Rein match with a bunch of randoms. It was glorious and needs to become a thing.
Now it's Rein time.

DevilDog

FIghting a junkrat as genji is so annoying.
He basically does 120 damage to you constantly with his mine and all while blasting himself in the air.
Cool.

LiK

FIghting a junkrat as genji is so annoying.
He basically does 120 damage to you constantly with his mine and all while blasting himself in the air.
Cool.

my only advice is to know when to use the deflect cuz i've been killed by my own bombs that way.

Jellie

Winston is also good with Ana. Keeps healing him when he jumps in and his high health will charge her ult which can be used on him well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom