• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISOM

I always wonder what would this game look like if it was a third person shooter. Does anyone else think the same? I mean I love it as a first person shooter but I guess they tried it and it didn't work out well?

You're not one for such strong sarcasm. But you are also definitely not one to agree about nerfing a character who is solidly decent and are much more of a 'git gud instead' guy. So I am very confused by this post.
It was strong sarcasm. Look up.
With some characters yes. With others not really. Her Ulti was fine before tge buff too. She is just too strong and too annoying. Andi don't even want to talk about two Mei's in one team.
Again, it takes an entire second for it to activate. Plenty enough time to get out of its range.

And again. She's F-tier.

I always feel like there's a disconnect in this thread between the "top tier" people and us regular joes who actually sometimes have trouble with bullshit Meis.

Soulflarz

Banned
You're not one for such strong sarcasm. But you are also definitely not one to agree about nerfing a character who is solidly decent and are much more of a 'git gud instead' guy. So I am very confused by this post.

I truly believe git gud is the solution to most problems
...I may be hated here but man
dark souls gaf

"nameless king is a BITCH don't try him"
"okay I'll try him anyways"
*15m later*
"was that supposed to be hard?"
*5 people say fuck you*
>_>

It was strong sarcasm. Look up.

My bad <_<

I always feel like there's a disconnect in this thread between the "top tier" people and us regular joes who actually sometimes have trouble with bullshit Meis.
Except that has nothing to do with the character, but your performance?
I don't care really. She is still annoying and feels overpowered. With her Ulti, healing and wall.
She's F-tier. Surround her and she's not a problem. If she's ice blocking near the entire team, she should be fucked after that.

Again, this is a case of your team not taking advantage of her immobility.

Soulflarz

Banned
this is a good time to point out that your own experience does not mean that it is objectively true

Mei is a bad character with bad tools in most situations. Just because you can't deal with her doesn't suddenly make her a better character sadly, or else every character we main would be A tier, an instapick, and there would be no discussion. I feel like this needs to be kept in mind in discussions about balance- I know "my <main> works wonders at <my competitive rank>" but it doesn't suddenly invalidate any and all discussion against that character. We're talking game balance, not insulting you by insulting your main, nor are we calling you trash because you have trouble, just saying that it needs a nerf. People may remember I thought reaper vs mei was always in meis favor, only for people to tell me reaper should usually win. I now know that if both are in even ground, that's usually correct.

this is a good time to point out that your own experience does not mean that it is objectively true

Mei is a bad character with bad tools in most situations. Just because you can't deal with her doesn't suddenly make her a better character sadly, or else every character we main would be A tier, an instapick, and there would be no discussion.
Exactly.

Like if you're playing Winston, and you got rekt by Reaper, is Reaper all of a sudden OP? NO

Mei is not cheap at all people. Like, that's really all there is to it. Being frozen sucks but it's what she does, she stalls capture points and slows people down. It's literally her character and she's not even that great at it. The buff took her from awful to not quite awful.

Every other ult is something that needs to be countered, recognized, avoided, etc. why shouldn't her's be that way too?

MOUCXPQ.png

I was pretty close to never playing this game on the weekend again after last night but I gave it another shot and had a nice win streak today. Finally hit Platinum after fluctuating between 2200 and 2400 for what seemed like weeks.

I'm not sure if I want to play on the weekends anymore.

I was at 2530 this morning, now at 2402.

Constantly getting golds / silvers in multiple categories, even as a support.

Constant overtime back and forths to decide who wins.

I know medals don't equal victories, but when I'm out DPS'ing our DPS characters as a support, I can't help but think it's not going to be a great match.

I was pretty close to never playing this game on the weekend again after last night but I gave it another shot and had a nice win streak today. Finally hit Platinum after fluctuating between 2200 and 2400 for what seemed like weeks.

Nice! I hit platinum two weeks ago, and can't seem to break 2600. Guess it's where I belong lol.

Skii

I watched that grandmaster guy get out of ELO hell into diamond but I felt like it wasn't really representative.

Firstly, he's one of the best players in Overwatch. It's no surprise he can carry bronze/silver/gold teams all by himself. Does that mean the average diamond player can? Possibly not.

There's also the fact that the comps for all his teams were surprisingly competent. People were immediately picking Reinhardt, Lucios, Zaryas etc. I dont think we saw any terrible team comps which is synonymous with ELO hell.

It's interesting to watch but I don't think this would've worked as well had it not been a professional player.

aeolist

Banned
if they wanted to actually buff mei they'd make her left click stronger, either by upping its damage or making it travel faster

as it is every time i see a high level player on her they're right-clicking even in extremely close range because it's more reliable damage and the CC isn't worth it

I watched that grandmaster guy get out of ELO hell into diamond but I felt like it wasn't really representative.

Firstly, he's one of the best players in Overwatch. It's no surprise he can carry bronze/silver/gold teams all by himself. Does that mean the average diamond player can? Possibly not.

There's also the fact that the comps for all his teams were surprisingly competent. People were immediately picking Reinhardt, Lucios, Zaryas etc. I dont think we saw any terrible team comps which is synonymous with ELO hell.

It's interesting to watch but I don't think this would've worked as well had it not been a professional player.
By ELO hell, he's trying to say that people who think they are supposed to be much higher than they should be are actually where they should be atm. He was getting a TON of points for winning, because he wasn't where he was supposed to be. If people here were truly in this "ELO hell" that they keep mentioning, then they would be getting 50+ points every time they won.

That's the point that Ster was trying to prove. That the game does put you where you should be, and 9/10 times, doesn't screw you and put you in a rank lower than you're meant to be.

aeolist

Banned
By ELO hell, he's trying to say that people who think they are supposed to be much higher than they should be are actually where they should be atm. He was getting a TON of points for winning, because he wasn't where he was supposed to be. If people here were truly in this "ELO hell" that they keep mentioning, then they would be getting 50+ points every time they won.

That's the point that Ster was trying to prove. That the game does put you where you should be, and 9/10 times, doesn't screw you and put you in a rank lower than you're meant to be.

only so long as the underlying systems actually know where you "should" be placed

i still think their evaluations are bunk, a simpler system would work much better overall

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
moonmoon getting his mech instnatly killed, discorded and headshotted while flipping out of his mech by the EnvyUs Zen is still the most savage thing I've ever seen in the game

ZangBa

I think his point was that if the people complaining were as great as they claim and it's always the teams fault, that they'd be able to carry everyone to victory all the way to where they belong, like he did about 20 games in a row. Although, I do think the win streak bonus he accumulated during the bronze and silver games kind of let him cruise through the real hell by ranking up 150 points per win, plus team luck. Cruising through platinum in 3 games is pretty unreasonable since the majority will not have this situation if they placed there or gold.

I still find it pretty impressive, but I'd like to see him place at gold and work from there. Though, I doubt he will since he considered it a waste of time. Personally, I would have been content with just general tips rather than showboating. :s

They might change an already existing ability she has like how they changed D.va's DM.
Ah, thought you were saying to make her ability similar to DM, like making something meter based or something. NVM
only so long as the underlying systems actually know where you "should" be placed

i still think their evaluations are bunk, a simpler system would work much better overall
That's why I said 9/10 times. Obviously, some people are going to get screwed, but most people are going to be put where they should be.

exYle

moonmoon getting his mech instnatly killed, discorded and headshotted while flipping out of his mech by the EnvyUs Zen is still the most savage thing I've ever seen in the game

Is that in one of his highlight reels? Where he encounters half of Envyus in comp?

Jellie

Where's this?
Also 3-0 :D

Nimby

Banned
What do we think of stalling strats? I understand taking advantage of a characters durability to delay capture of the point, but everyone switching to a hero with this ability at the last second seems kinda cheap to me. It feels like it rewards lazy play from the defensive team, and ignores how well the attacking team did to take control of that point in the first place.

It amazes me when Seagull does the same thing with Hanzo. Just perfect predictions on where Dva will jump out.

Absolutely amazing.

The fact that the devs have come out and said a couple of times that the SR system wasn't working properly for supports shows that it's got a ways to go.

Menome

My pet peeve is players who will not swap. Never, under any circumstances do they swap. They could die 100 times in 2 mins, but they never swap.

It's their hero, and they'll die by the choice they've made, and drag everyone down with them.

>_>

It's why I love Mobawatch so much.

Plus trust me, as an example, just because I'm having one off-match with Pharah, you really don't want me switching to McCree. About to hit Level 25 and I've still never had a multi-kill with High Noon.

I will switch between roles though, trying to have at least one good character in each category.

>_>

It's why I love Mobawatch so much.

Plus trust me, as an example, just because I'm having one off-match with Pharah, you really don't want me switching to McCree. About to hit Level 25 and I've still never had a multi-kill with High Noon.

I will switch between roles though, trying to have at least one good character in each category.
But that off match could be the difference between losing that game and winning. The whole point of the game is to swap heroes in the middle of games. If you are having an off match, you have to switch, no matter what, otherwise you are just hurting your team because of that one off match. This will become more obvious once you start competitive. You're in QP right now, so learn what you need to learn, but in comp, an off match means you need to immediately switch heroes.

Gorillaz

What do we think of stalling strats? I understand taking advantage of a characters durability to delay capture of the point, but everyone switching to a hero with this ability at the last second seems kinda cheap to me. It feels like it rewards lazy play from the defensive team, and ignores how well the attacking team did to take control of that point in the first place.

Stall strats aren't worth it in the long run imo because all it takes is for the opposing team to roll over you with combined alts. That's usually what happens. Your giving them time to build it up.

MastAndo

I'm with you on that. I want to chime in with my noobish questions, but feel like they're out of place at times.

This game is a certainly a cruel mistress. Whenever I think I've got it figured out (i.e. a career high in eliminatons and just 3 deaths with Pharah, a new hero I'm trying out), just to run into a team on the same map that knows what they're doing and end up getting slaughtered. Really still not sure if I should stick to 2-3 heroes or so and try to master them or try to be more adaptable. I don't feel like I have the time and perhaps (admittingly) the willingness to put in the hours others do, but would love to be able to do more than just hold my own in this game.

Don't you dare think about abandoning me like so many others have.
I'm still here ;_;

Although it seems like Nuno is the only one that's on at the same time as me most times lol

thank you for guaranteeing I have a great healer Nuno, appreciate you queueing with me for all those games we've played.

I'm still here ;_;

Although it seems like Nuno is the only one that's on at the same time as me most times lol

thank you for guaranteeing I have a great healer Nuno, appreciate you queueing with me for all those games we've played.
Me you and Buttchin should play some Destiny. I'm seeing you in that thread quite a bit.

Holy jones, after begrudgingly accepting the role of Reinhardt after peer pressure from strangers (don't follow my example kids) they supported me like champs and I got a 30 player kill streak which may be my new record, the kind of match where I was disappointed it ended before I could extend that kill streak.
God bless our Mercy who kept me going and thanks to our bizarrely suicidal opponents who just kept diving at me.

Gonna finish tonight on this high.

Prelude.

Huh, IMO Muselk makes better overall videos but I find Zylbrad much more funny, and easily the best part of Muselk's videos.

Tyrodin is the unfunny one for me. God that Reinhardt voice is not funny at all. Although the one video where he kept acting like Stylosa every time Mercy got POTG was pretty hilarious.
They're both pretty unfunny, but yeah, at least Muselk makes better content. Let's say that Muselk falls flat and Zylbrad's obnoxious.
Videos with Zylbrad's friends and not him are way better, he has the sense humor of a 13yo kid and he's extremely repetitive.

I'm with you on that. I want to chime in with my noobish questions, but feel like they're out of place at times.

This game is a certainly a cruel mistress. Whenever I think I've got it figured out (i.e. a career high in eliminatons and just 3 deaths with Pharah, a new hero I'm trying out), just to run into a team on the same map that knows what they're doing and end up getting slaughtered. Really still not sure if I should stick to 2-3 heroes or so and try to master them or try to be more adaptable. I don't feel like I have the time and perhaps (admittingly) the willingness to put in the hours others do, but would love to be able to do more than just hold my own in this game.

Go ahead and chime in with the questions: there are some of us on here who aren't- and never will be- top tier, but we know how to play, especially at the lower SR levels.

My personal advice on heroes is to have a Tank, a Healer, and a DPS (or D.Va) that you can play and feel comfortable with. I started with Rein and Lucio, because they're the easiest to be competent with. I have since moved on to D.Va and Zen, with the ability to slide into any other Tank or Healer if the situation requires it.

Me you and Buttchin should play some Destiny. I'm seeing you in that thread quite a bit.
I usually play Destiny with an IRL buddy(aka, family member), so it might be hard to get together with stuff other than crucible and raiding :/

But if you see me by myself in a fire team, don't hesitate to invite for stuff! And if only one of you are on and see me and my bud on, just message if you want to join for stuff. I still need to send Buttchin a FR though, will do that as soon as I can.

Pretty sure I actually have you on my FL from Destiny. Pretty sure we raided together once back in TTK.

Although with the way progression in that game is going, that might kill it for me, but we shall see. I sure hope not.

I truly believe git gud is the solution to most problems
...I may be hated here but man
dark souls gaf

"nameless king is a BITCH don't try him"
"okay I'll try him anyways"
*15m later*
"was that supposed to be hard?"
*5 people say fuck you*
>_>

Nah man, Nameless King is a bunch of bullshit. Took me like 15 attempts even with two people summoned.

Yes, I realize this is the wrong thread for this.

You have to on console too, I don't know why you keep insisting otherwise >_>

The console meta is a totally different thing.

Soulflarz

Banned
Nah man, Nameless King is a bunch of bullshit. Took me like 15 attempts even with two people summoned.

Yes, I realize this is the wrong thread for this.
Nah
Just abuse iframes and always roll right, enchant wep with his weakness for ezpz second form, just gotta save enough vials for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom