• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redmoon

Placed at low gold (2202). Just landed into Plat 11 games later (2512). Slowly I'm getting to where I need to be.

I also hear Plat is going to be a fun ride as a solo q'er. Lets hope it's not to extreme.

Ricky 7

Got to Master rank but apparently your rank drops if you don't play? -_- I don't have much time to play now and it's kinda off putting to know that when I do have time to play my rank will have be lowered so there's kinda no point of me playing now. =/ At least I'll get that animated spray at the end of the season.

Got to Master rank but apparently your rank drops if you don't play? -_- I don't have much time to play now and it's kinda off putting to know that when I do have time to play my rank will have be lowered so there's kinda no point of me playing now. =/ At least I'll get that animated spray at the end of the season.
The animated spray is only if you get top 500, not Master.

Redmoon

Rank decay starts after 7 days of no comp activity, and drops daily till you play a full game. So as long as you play a game within 7 days of the last game, you shouldn't get decay.

Soulflarz

Banned
at this rate ill be 4000 in 10 wins so

How badly can you break the rank system, a documentary about soulflarz
(for reference, when I was mid 70s last season the game thought my mmr was 80s, lmao)

Ricky 7

Rank decay starts after 7 days of no comp activity, and drops daily till you play a full game. So as long as you play a game within 7 days of the last game, you shouldn't get decay.
Not long enough for me =( gonna hit me hard during exam period.
What's your rating when you hit it.
About 3300 on Xbox. I can image that number is higher on PS4 and a lot higher on PC due to more players.

KiraFA37

You know I don't mind playing support when the team doesn't have one and actually like playing them, but why o why must my team always be so fucking bad in QP?

Soulflarz

Banned
What do you mean by break the the ranking system?

Okay, I don't really know how to word it well, but this game can get you artifically high by smurfing

using old numbers since I like them more
You are at the skill of a 70
you are a 50
you grab a friend whos your skill

you both rush up to 65
the game has had you on one of the craziest win streaks the system has seen in forever with both of you outplaying everyone for miles. Your MMR is now probably close to 75+
every win is a full rank, a single loss barely hurts you. So you can actually get the "highest rank/top 500" ridiculously high.
I didn't really benefit from it since I got stuck at high 60s for a bit, but I know when I hit 76 I was going a full rank a match still and my MMR was top 100.
Your train will slow down and you'll even out with a few losses to see where you really are, but yeah, if you solely want top 500, that's probably the best way to force it, if only for a day.

edit: you can't actually plan for this because you can't determine if you win or lose realistically so yeah, just git gud. It's a nice explanation for why some people are able to go "but I hit 65!" when you've played low 60s who are much better than them, since 60->65 have a huge MMR gap

DevilDog

I can't fucking wait for ana nerf. I don't think it will be enough. The boosted target shouldn't charge their ult as much when they have it.

High level play is cancer right now. Tanks on top of tanks and ana boosting and more ultimates and the rape never stops.

:(

Jellie

Oh, nvm then. Thought you were saying you'd get it because you were Master. My bad!

It has more to do with your performance than rank, but the lowest rank I've seen a top 500 have so far was Jellie, who was at 3400 when he had it.

But again, it's about your hidden MMR, not your rank.
Lowest because it was on console.

To those who went from console to pc, how long should it take to get used to kB+m if I've been using consoles forever? I suck on PC right now. :(

Soulflarz

Banned

To those who went from console to pc, how long should it take to get used to kB+m if I've been using consoles forever? I suck on PC right now. :(

Not long, just don't play mccree. He's just about the only character you need to avoid if you never play pc games.

Also get used to a very low sensitivity and flicking your actual mouse over instead of high like controller.

Ricky 7

Okay, I don't really know how to word it well, but this game can get you artifically high by smurfing

using old numbers since I like them more
You are at the skill of a 70
you are a 50
you grab a friend whos your skill

you both rush up to 65
the game has had you on one of the craziest win streaks the system has seen in forever with both of you outplaying everyone for miles. Your MMR is now probably close to 75+
every win is a full rank, a single loss barely hurts you. So you can actually get the "highest rank/top 500" ridiculously high.
I didn't really benefit from it since I got stuck at high 60s for a bit, but I know when I hit 76 I was going a full rank a match still and my MMR was top 100.
Your train will slow down and you'll even out with a few losses to see where you really are, but yeah, if you solely want top 500, that's probably the best way to force it, if only for a day.

edit: you can't actually plan for this because you can't determine if you win or lose realistically so yeah, just git gud. It's a nice explanation for why some people are able to go "but I hit 65!" when you've played low 60s who are much better than them, since 60->65 have a huge MMR gap
Alright thanks for the explanation. That explains a lot.

antitrop

It took me about 20-30 hours before I felt like I was at least back to where I was on consoles and it continued to feel better from there. Most of it was relearning button combos and finding suitable custom key bindings for all the different heroes.

I grew up playing PC shooters in the 90s, so I can't really relate, though.

One suggestion I've heard to improve aiming and tracking and to feel more comfortable with WASD is to download Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and use some of the training maps you can get from the Workshop. You can get all sorts of custom drills with those that Overwatch's training mode can't even come close to providing.

This website will provide consistent sensitivity values across Overwatch and CS:GO:
https://jscalc.io/calc/b0RPHrQQDf49k4Ce

Your Overwatch just did a video on this last week, actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n8V9mYx1xA

komaruR

have you always play games with the wasd movement for any action games?
people adapt quickly because they use to play pc a bit. it just trying to adjust to your comfortable sensitivity.

gg jorgejjvr. lol i made the zen on the last koth match specifically hunt me out of the air.

Jellie

Not long, just don't play mccree. He's just about the only character you need to avoid if you never play pc games.

Also get used to a very low sensitivity and flicking your actual mouse over instead of high like controller.
Oh I've been trying to use Mccree since it's hard on console. Don't ever play him or play him once I get used to the game?

It took me about 20-30 hours before I felt like I was at least back to where I was on consoles and it continued to feel better from there. Most of it was relearning button combos and finding suitable custom key bindings for all the different heroes.

I grew up playing PC shooters in the 90s, so I can't really relate, though.

One suggestion I've heard to improve aiming and tracking and to feel more comfortable with WASD is to download Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and use some of the training maps you can get from the Workshop. You can get all sorts of custom drills with those that Overwatch's training mode can't even come close to providing.

This website will provide consistent sensitivity values across Overwatch and CS:GO:
https://jscalc.io/calc/b0RPHrQQDf49k4Ce

Your Overwatch just did a video on this last week, actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n8V9mYx1xA
Don't have CS:GO. I have CS:Source though. Is there similar maps there?

have you always play games with the wasd movement for any action games?
people adapt quickly because they use to play pc a bit. it just trying to adjust to your comfortable sensitivity.

gg jorgejjvr. lol i made the zen on the last koth match specifically hunt me out of the air.

I usually play games on console but got a new PC a few days ago. Only really used my PC to mainly play Civ V and skyrim before but have played TF2, L4D2 and bioshock a bit.

Zylbrad is
unfunny.

Which is a shame because his friends aren't as bad as him.
Huh, IMO Muselk makes better overall videos but I find Zylbrad much more funny, and easily the best part of Muselk's videos.

Tyrodin is the unfunny one for me. God that Reinhardt voice is not funny at all. Although the one video where he kept acting like Stylosa every time Mercy got POTG was pretty hilarious.

Plesiades

How does the Rejoin system work? Every single time I lose connection the "Rejoin Game" button does nothing. Do I need to wait for BNet to realize that the Internet is back?

Also, it seems that the game forgets that you were in a match after a client restart.

Jellie

Wouldn't it have more to do with region? Top 500 in Austrailia is probably a lot easier to crack than top 500 in America
Depends on number of players. So it's region and platform dependant.
Just checked the rankings and the number one guy on PSN is on my friends list. Even played comp with him a while ago.
Well you need to aim well to use him at a high level, and most console players can't play csgo for their life now :p
I should probably just stick to tanks or something. Overbuff says I have top 96% accuracy and top 92% critical hit but I don't get kills. Probably just hitting reinahrdts shields constantly.

komaruR

Depends on number of players. So it's region and platform dependant.
Just checked the rankings and the number one guy on PSN is on my friends list. Even played comp with him a while ago.

I should probably just stick to tanks or something. Overbuff says I have top 96% accuracy and top 92% critical hit but I don't get kills. Probably just hitting reinahrdts shields constantly.

what region are you located? aus?

Kuro

Mei needs a nerf so fucking bad. Just had a match where a single mei stalled anubis for fucking 10 minutes with her bullshit wall+shift+fast charging ult

Mei needs a nerf so fucking bad. Just had a match where a single mei stalled anubis for fucking 10 minutes with her bullshit wall+shift+fast charging ult
Sounds like more of a case of your team not being able to kill one character. If your team just surrounds her when she ice blocks, she's as good as dead.

"Nerf the thing that kills me" is still a thing to this day. This title is so fitting.

Soulflarz

Banned

I agree, mei is top tier by a mile, how can anyone even compete with her BS? Set up a bastion and some symmetra turrets with her and shes unstoppable :/

DevilDog

I don't think mei is the problem. The problem is how bad that map and haramura is.
Unelss you team kill the entire team you'll be capping forever.

Don't have CS:GO. I have CS:Source though. Is there similar maps there?

I usually play games on console but got a new PC a few days ago. Only really used my PC to mainly play Civ V and skyrim before but have played TF2, L4D2 and bioshock a bit.

Just play man. That is all you need to know. Play a lot and don't have any expectations whatsoever. Get soldier or mcree, and lose every match on quick play.

One small tip i can give you is to stop moving when firing. That should smooth the learning curve a bit, even if you get hit more. After you get the hang of it, start moving a bit more. You can practise that a bit by going alone in any overwatch map, and keeping your aim on a random object as you are moving left and right/jumping etc.

I don't understad why they buffed her Ulti, really. It's too much.
Because it's still easy to escape and takes a second to actually activate?
I agree, mei is top tier by a mile, how can anyone even compete with her BS? Set up a bastion and some symmetra turrets with her and shes unstoppable :/
I'm sorry, but if they have a Bastion AND a Symm, it's your fault you lost. Winston and a Genji/sniper take them completely out of the picture.

You guys realize Mei is still an F-tier hero right?

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm sorry, but if they have a Bastion AND a Symm, it's your fault you lost. Winston and a Genji/sniper take them completely out of the picture.

pls I even added bastion and symmetra into the post to make it less believable that I was being serious >_>

NeoRaider

Because it's still easy to escape and takes a second to actually activate?

With some heroes yes. With others not really. Her Ulti was fine before the buff too. She is just too strong and too annoying. And i don't even want to talk about two Mei's in one team.

You're not one for such strong sarcasm. But you are also definitely not one to agree about nerfing a character who is solidly decent and are much more of a 'git gud instead' guy. So I am very confused by this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom