• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah Junk usually doesn't feel like a problem to me. But maybe that's because I play tanks a lot, and they generally wreck Junkrat. Especially Roadhog and Zarya.

This is why his damage isn't considered good in almost every situation.

He can't do enough to kill a tank, therefore he's feeding ult (or barrier) for them and healers like crazy.

He also shouldn't win a 1v1 against a reaper/mccree/pharah/tracer who gets in on him, making his normal situations awful too.
He can work wonders against characters people don't use, but hey, others can do it better too.

Delete Junkrat. Such an annoying character.

tumblr_o2axp5vc8p1qcxzu2o1_500.gif

Soulflarz

Banned
wat

1 direct hit (easy if you are right next to him) + his mine = instadead 200hp char

Junkrats getting flanked generally don't have reaction time to fix the problem. This holds true in the old 70s as well. Tracer might have a harder time, but reaper is at best a 50-50 matchup at midrange. Tracer I assumed, I don't use her enough to be educated about her.
mccree? Enjoy your flashbang fth, pharah? Good luck hitting her.

Junkrats getting flanked generally don't have reaction time to fix the problem. This holds true in the old 70s as well. Tracer might have a harder time, but reaper is at best a 50-50 matchup at midrange. Tracer I assumed, I don't use her enough to be educated about her.
mccree? Enjoy your flashbang fth, pharah? Good luck hitting her.
fair enough, it can just be quite frustrating to flank a junkrat as tracer only for them to turn around mid fire, hit you with a shot and then cancel into their mine and you just die.

Thought this was an interesting exercise/experiment. Measuring the skill cap for each character.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Competitiveo.../i_used_a_bot_to_find_the_real_skill_caps_of/

Just goes to show that i main all the hard characters and all the zarya players like to be low skill pubstompers ggez.

I'm kidding btw.

Maybe.
I find it hard to believe that Roadhog has a higher skill gap than Ana, Hanzo, Zarya, Winston, or Reinhardt. Those characters either take a lot of situational awareness, or insane aim, or both. Yeah Roadhog has a semi high skill gap, but not more than them.

And how the fuck does Junk have a higher skill gap than Zarya, Winston, and Rein?

But whatever, it's saying I'm using two of the hardest heroes, so I'll take it.

I find it hard to believe that Roadhog has a higher skill gap than Ana, Hanzo, Zarya, Winston, or Reinhardt. Those characters either take a lot of situational awareness, or insane aim, or both. Yeah Roadhog has a semi high skill gap, but not more than them.

And how the fuck does Junk have a higher skill gap than Zarya, Winston, and Rein?

No way roadhog should have higher skill gap than ana and hanzo for sure. Even if it's just on a mechanical sense.

As soon as I get my nano boost, I immediately call out that I have it and hope my team is paying attention. Usually if I have a Rein, he will get the idea of "you are getting it no matter what, be ready."

But yeah, always call it out so your best nano targets can be ready for it.

As a Rein, I can't hit "Understood" fast enough when Ana calls out her Ult. I would very much like to splatter some squishies. Please and thank you.

As a Rein, I can't hit "Understood" fast enough when Ana calls out her Ult. I would very much like to splatter some squishies. Please and thank you.
Well, I'm not saying to cast it out as soon as you tell your team you have it. I'm saying, call it out so your team knows you have it, then wait for a good opportunity.

Soulflarz

Banned
What do we define as skill ceiling
I mean shit the average person we have this discussion with on reddit or something can't even win regardless of skill ceiling due to simple positioning things, s-so

either way roadhog isn't really hard?

My friend and I often duo queue as Ana + Rein. Best combo. So deadly when your Rein knows how to go on the offensive. I've Nanoboosted random Reins and they just sat there with their shields up...

Flank him, he really doesn't have tools to stop most characters.
His trap actually does pretty well against flankers. Especially since his trap can sink into the ground at times, making it hard to spot.

And he can just throw a concussion mine and detonate it if a genji or tracer get in his face. If he doesn't kill them he can at least blow them himself and them away from each other.

Not saying he's unkillable or overpowered, but he does have the tools to at least fight flankers.

A happier post for a change, I got the molten core achievement in a game of competitive. I also managed a three game streak in solo queue, though followed by a three game loss. Progress!

As my ranking drops nearly 700 points from its lofty tier from my placement matches, I have come to the realization that I truly, and completely suck at this game.

It doesn't matter how many cards, or medals I get. I suck.

I am the anteater, the vacuum cleaner, the whirlpool, the black hole, the Donald J. Trump of Overwatch.

Join me as I journey towards oblivion.

I'm coming up from really (REALLY) bad placement matches, but our D.Va rankings and SR are very similar. I try to always play with 1 or 2 calm, mic-using friends who are there to have fun. It helps a ton. If I'm solo, I instalock D.Va and pray for 4 or 5 people at least listening to chat. You can still grind back up, no need to go all Reaper on us.

zoukka

A good Junkrat is hard to kill, he can leap away with his concussion and IF you step on his trap, you are dead.

But yeah same rules apply to all back line heroes, you need to find and flank them.

Junkrat does absurd damage on some maps and you are not supposed to show your head so Mccree and soldier are pretty bad against junkrat. And I don't know what's this "tanks are good against junkrat" talk. Only winston threatens him.

Well, I'm not saying to cast it out as soon as you tell your team you have it. I'm saying, call it out so your team knows you have it, then wait for a good opportunity.

Nope, give it to me now. I wish to kill things.
jk obviously, but I am not a Suicide Rein, so I really really love the excuse to start swinging my hammer and make the other team scatter like chickens.

A good Junkrat is hard to kill, he can leap away with his concussion and IF you step on his trap, you are dead.

But yeah same rules apply to all back line heroes, you need to find and flank them.

Junkrat does absurd damage on some maps and you are not supposed to show your head so Mccree and soldier are pretty bad against junkrat. And I don't know what's this "tanks are good against junkrat" talk. Only winston threatens him.

Ehh, even Winston gets shredded pretty quickly. His best chance is getting a barrier down right after landing to get some hopeful splash on Junkrat.

D.va with backup is probably the most reliable. She can shut him down entirely while allies take care of him. Reaper or Pharah are the real counters, though. With high personal risk, they kill him quick enough that he isn't an issue.

Greddleok

He is not designed in a way so that if you get into a 1v1 situation he should win it, he loses against anyone who actually goes out of their way to take on a junkrat. If you win it, your first thought should be "wow he was bad" not "wow I'm good".

I would agree, but if he gets the drop on you, then you're fucked.

And I don't know what's this "tanks are good against junkrat" talk. Only winston threatens him.
Roadhog: hook on Junk=dead Junk. Even without hook he can still alt fire him to death with ease.

Zarya: Junk=free charge and is easy to beam down

Rein: enough health to survive grenades and hammer him to death

Winston: zippy zappy zoop!

Dva: DM a bunch of grenades then slowly shoot to death.

Oh, Roadhog vs. Junkrat. Of course!

The big problem against better Junkrats is that they'll lay a trap that is either A) immediately triggered by you, or B) in a weird location that you don't anticipate, which leads to them having a huge edge in the skirmish.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Flankers outside of Genji are going to get destroyed by Junkrat, wtf are you talking about? Reaper is the easiest kill in the world for Junkrat.

The way to deal with Junkrat is range like McCree, Pharah, Hanzo or 76.

Its almost as if map placement, team comp, and individual skill decides class vs class fights instead of rock paper scissors hard counters...

Well, the impossible finally happened. I got a quintuple kill via McCree's ult, Deadeye. It turns out that mass Hanzos are pretty weak against it.
Based on their dialogue together, Junk seems to annoy Roadhog a lot, so I can understand why he wants to beat him up every so often :p

I'd be shocked if a single Overwatch character liked Junkrat.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Man, I just wanna practice McCree in QP and what does the enemy team do? Ana, Hanzo and Widowmaker on Eichenwalde alongside a Junkrat, Zarya and Pharah. Switched to Pharah and took out the snipers, switched to Winston near overtime inside the castle & won, but jesus.

Man, I just wanna practice McCree in QP and what does the enemy team do? Ana, Hanzo and Widowmaker on Eichenwalde alongside a Junkrat, Zarya and Pharah. Switched to Pharah and took out the snipers, switched to Winston near overtime inside the castle & won, but jesus.
Not sure why you can't practice McCree against this. They had a Pharah, Hanzo, and a Junkrat. Seems like a pretty good place to practice him.

TBH you could practice him against all of those heroes except Widow.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Woah, it's me! Is my chronal accelerator malfunctioning again?
Not sure why you can't practice McCree against this. They had a Pharah, Hanzo, and a Junkrat. Seems like a pretty good place to practice him.

TBH you could practice him against all of those heroes except Widow.
Well I seem to do better with tracking and projectiles than with hitscan, also Eichenwalde on Attack doesn't have a lot of openings or avenues and Zarya and Junkrat at the frontline with the snipers in the back were making it difficult. Specifically it was the Widowmaker that hassled the hardest. Switching to Pharah solved all that though, even had a moment where Widow tried to hookline at me when I had 37 HP and I shot a Rocket as I saw the hook so she landed right into direct rocket and died. Guy on chat said "bitch", lol.

He is not designed in a way so that if you get into a 1v1 situation he should win it, he loses against anyone who actually goes out of their way to take on a junkrat. If you win it, your first thought should be "wow he was bad" not "wow I'm good".
I was talking about the footies part rather than junkrat loses part. What are fps footsies?

Soulflarz

Banned
I was talking about the footies part rather than junkrat loses part. What are fps footsies?

oh, footsies is a term that's kind of closer associated with fighting games

"“Footsies” is oldschool slang for the mid-range ground-based aspect of fighting game strategy. It refers to a situation where both players are outside of combo range and attack each other with long-range, generally safe attacks (pokes). The ultimate goal is to control the flow of the match, bait the opponent into committing errors, and punish everything."

Basically it's the "neutral" or middle ground- junkrat doesn't have you in a corridor trapped, you weren't reaper and flanked him perfectly. Basically a safe 1v1 for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom