• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see why they hesitated on adding CTF, more often than not in my experience so far most games just end in a draw. It's just not very fun.

They need to add class restrictions or something imo to keep the mode flowing smoothly imo in order for it to work.

I’m 9-1-18 since I started playing again. This shit is rough. It’s not even like I’m playing bad. Half the time someone just quits (even if we are winning). I’m pretty sure I could solo grind to Diamond; however that might not be good for my sanity. Also there have been a lot of games where we been up 2-0 and end up losing 2-3 because there is always that one fucker that won’t get off Hanzo or Widow. This game makes me rage more than Hearthstone and that’s saying a lot.

PharMercy is pretty hard to counter and people who yell around thinking just any random player picking Soldier 76 can stop them is ruining ranked for me.

That and the horrible, boring, unstoppable meta that primarily relies on Ana + Shielding tanks.

The game desperately needs a true Anti-Tank, like a Vampire that sucks HP.

When you end a series of losses with a draw.

tumblr_lgedv2Vtt21qf4x93o1_40020110725-22047-38imqt.jpg

ISOM

I can see why they hesitated on adding CTF, more often than not in my experience so far most games just end in a draw. It's just not very fun.

They need to add class restrictions or something imo to keep the mode flowing smoothly imo in order for it to work.

I have no idea what Blizzard was thinking letting it go live as is. Could have been more fun otherwise.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like draws happen because the team is uncoordinated as fuck.

In teams I get with a modicum of teamwork it flows pretty smoothly.

Cappa

Banned
I have no idea what Blizzard was thinking letting it go live as is. Could have been more fun otherwise.

Woah, that was a quick ban...

Well, this is a way of experimenting it. I mean, call it half assed or whatever but its not like they are promoting Capture the Flag as a new amazing mode in Overwatch or anything. Of course it can be better but at least they did something.

Mendrox

Man why even nerf everyone if you can also buff them...the game is really much slower compared to the release. I don't like heroes being nerfed - make others stronger.

antitrop

Skyline recently posted a video of the top Mercy in the world. Might be interesting for you to watch if you're serious about climbing with her.

I did, I watch most of his videos and try to catch his stream when I can.

My playstyle looks pretty much exactly like Eevee's.

Skii

I did, I watch most of his videos and try to catch his stream when I can.

My playstyle looks pretty much exactly like Eevee's.

I liked that they opted for the smaller res. It is so much more effective to res your Rein/Ana than risk you dying with your ult.

antitrop

I liked that they opted for the smaller res. It is so much more effective to res your Rein/Ana than risk you dying with your ult.

Exactly. I rarely rez DPS specifically, because they're so immediately vulnerable afterwards. But rezzing tanks and co-support is invaluable.

Think it's the same mercy from a video I sent you a while back of the mercy main whose smurf was a mercy main too.
EeveeA and EeveeB. :p

Jellie

Skyline recently posted a video of the top Mercy in the world. Might be interesting for you to watch if you're serious about climbing with her.
Think it's the same mercy from a video I sent you a while back of the mercy main whose smurf was a mercy main too.

Skii

Yeah I realised. Didn't he say he hasn't tried out any other heroes? lmao.

He made a smurf just to play Mercy again. Pure dedication to the cause.

Antiwhippy

Koth starting out, we had a mercy and lucio. Lost first round.

2nd round, lucio rage switches to sym, mercy changes to lucio, I run zen, and we rolled over the other team the rest of the game once the sym switches to pharah. Even got silv elims as zen.

I don't mind mercy generally (I only really mind that there seem to be a lot of bad ones) but I don't really like her on KotH and I especially don't like her paired with lucio. I feel like support duos most combinations work except for lucio and mercy. You just don't get enough utility, and you lose too much DPS.

Such a good competitive game this morning on Oasis.

The very moment the first point became unlocked someone on our team left. Terrific. We all now have to get mullered for 3 rounds straight. Should be fun.

First round. Lose 100-0.
Second round. Lose 100-0.

Yep, this is about right. I say fuck it, and switch from Lucio to Tracer for the last round. May as well have a little bit of fun. Upon doing this, our Hanzo switches to Zen. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Third round. We take the point. And we hold on for a 100-0 victory. Ha. Not bad.
Fourth round. Exactly the same. 100-0 win. Interesting. Maybe, just maybe...

Fifth and final round. The team of 6 seem to get their act together. Completely overpowered us. They're leading 78-0. We make one final push. A sticky bomb to Roadhog, a Tactical Visor activated. A Transcendence get us in. We've pushed them back. We got the point. No way is this happening!

We hold on for the win.

I've never never been more thrilled by a victory on Overwatch.

Sande

The game desperately needs a true Anti-Tank, like a Vampire that sucks HP.
Do you mean someone who reduces max health? Because I think regular HP leeching (as in damages them and heals you) is pretty much the opposite of anti-tank.

We need something that does %HP damage. Good game design includes safety valves like that to prevent one dimensional cheese strats from becoming so prevalent.

Also, anti heal on someone other than Ana. It's not very healthy when a hero is almost the only counter to themselves. That just makes the hero even more mandatory on both sides.

AngryMoth

The problem still persists though. The emote and voice line wheels work just fine buy for some reason for sprays you have to hold the stick in a direction for a longer time. And you can't assign one button for each spray because there are just not enough buttons on a controler lol.
I found the new spray wheel finicky with a controller first too, then I realised you have to take your finger off to the up button before letting go of the direction with the stick. Can do it consistently and quickly after I found this although it takes a little getting used to

CTF can work. Several characters that aren't viable in normal play become a lot more viable in CTF because of how the game mode splits the team into the defense and offense groups, while the normal game modes have one team dedicated to offense and the other to defense (in Control maps they just are capable of switching). Bastion and Torbjorn in particular are a LOT more viable in CTF than they are in the regular modes, since defense is static.

There are a few things that they can do without changing how characters play to make the mode actually a lot better:
- Make the maps bigger. CTF needs a lot of room, the current maps are far too small and feel incredibly cramped (also increase the timer a bit to reflect the bigger map size). It's incredibly easy to traverse about half the distance between enemy base and home base with just a Reinhardt charge.
- Don't have damage interrupt the pickup timer for the flag. This makes it easier to not get completely overwhelmed by a turret defense if you go in as a group.

They also would have to do something about the draw situation. Just plopping down overtime until a point is scored seems a bit too risky to be leaning towards endlessly long matches, but I think that having overtime until a flag is taken would work (and in the unlikely case both are taken at the same time and both teams score at the same time, I would just continue).

I dunno. I think this mode has potential, but CTF needs plenty of space to work well.

Do you mean someone who reduces max health? Because I think regular HP leeching (as in damages them and heals you) is pretty much the opposite of anti-tank.

We need something that does %HP damage. Good game design includes safety valves like that to prevent one dimensional cheese strats from becoming so prevalent.

Also, anti heal on someone other than Ana. It's not very healthy when a hero is almost the only counter to themselves. That just makes the hero even more mandatory on both sides.

My idea would be a hero that starts with 150 and vampires max health off others until it becomes 600 health. It's abilities change in damage and effect based on how much max health it has. Max HP resets on death.

I dunno, I just like the idea of sapping max HP off a Reinhart until he's a weak weenie.

Man... maybe I just sucked with Roadhog before(which very well may be the case since I really only picked him up in the last couple weeks), but I feel like he's even more of a carry machine now. 6 wins, 2 draws and no losses with him today.

Had gold elims in every match except like 1. I didn't even consider using my main Tracer today who I'm very good with.(62% winrate this season even with triple tank/quad tank domination in ranked)

It's like why even bother playing my usual Tracer/Genji when I can "carry" just as hard with Hog with way less effort required. I guess this probably isn't the case in Grandmaster since you can't abuse broken hooks anymore, but down here in Diamond that's how it feels.

Cappa

Banned
It seems lots of people either dont give a shit about the DVa nerf, or just dont realize shes been nerfed.

Ive seen more people picking DVA consistently, than heroes like Pharah and Rein in competitive. (3000-3200 SR level matches) so that could be why though too....

Mendrox

I've got a ways to go. My stats are pretty decent though

V4nToun.png

But I just don't know how to carry, even if I'm doing a pretty good job most games. Guess I'm just stuck in Gold.

To carry a game you also need a character with whom you can carry a team. Mercy can not carry a team.

Antiwhippy

Eh, I saw plenty of DVa before the buffs also. Like, people still constantly pick what they like, why are people surprised?

Also it's not like she's unplayably bad.

Kysen

CTF is awful, how they managed to screw up such a staple mode in many games is unreal. Glad I got my win, never touching it again.

Did any of you guys try Reaper or was it impossible to get in with him?
Is... Reaper actually useful in the current meta? I know he's supposed to be anti-tank, but he has so little mobility that he can only ever ambush people (and if it's a tank, they're probably, A) not alone, and B) at the front of the group) which means he's just Bastion without the range.

Honestly, I've found Sombra better for taking down tanks than Reaper. Her new hack is pretty good against Roadhog--since even if he kills her, without his hook or heal he's gonna die to someone else. Same goes for hacking Zarya, Reinhardt, or D.va to get rid of their barriers (although it's harder to get a hack on them for a variety of reasons). And then she can ult and cause real damage with a bit of coordination.

And her usefulness stems from how agile she is. She can breach enemy lines better than any other hero thanks to her cloak, teleport, and medkit-hack.

Reaper is theoretically strong, but I can't actually think of the last game where he was Threat Number One.

Skii

Is... Reaper actually useful in the current meta? I know he's supposed to be anti-tank, but he has so little mobility that he can only ever ambush people (and if it's a tank, they're probably, A) not alone, and B) at the front of the group) which means he's just Bastion without the range.

Honestly, I've found Sombra better for taking down tanks than Reaper. Her new hack is pretty good against Roadhog--since even if he kills her, without his hook or heal he's gonna die to someone else. Same goes for hacking Zarya, Reinhardt, or D.va to get rid of their barriers (although it's harder to get a hack on them for a variety of reasons). And then she can ult and cause real damage with a bit of coordination.

And her usefulness stems from how agile she is. She can breach enemy lines better than any other hero thanks to her cloak, teleport, and medkit-hack.

Reaper is theoretically strong, but I can't actually think of the last game where he was Threat Number One.

Well before the Dva nerf, he was impossible to play into tanks because she directly countered him. So I'd assume he'd be a lot stronger now but the problem is that when you flank with Reaper, you have a choice: you either go after the Roadhog/Zarya or you go after the Ana... There's only one choice even if you're a tank buster. But Reaper can't deal with Ana as well as Tracer and Genji can. And even if there's situations where a tank is isolated, Roadhog is a 50/50 at best for Reaper which is frankly ridiculous and Zarya/Reinhardt can deal with him if they are smart.

I can see Reaper working on attack but I don't know how effective he is at flanking. Probably better for him to focus Reinhardt shield and just push with team with the other DPS potentially flanking.

There's a nugget of something there. The trouble is that sustaining a push on the flag is really difficult. I think they need to either shorten the capture time or make it so that taking damage doesn't reset the timer. But ultimately the problem is map design. You're attacking chokes that were never designed to be chokes. It's why Symmetra is so infuriatingly good; there are so many great turret spots and weird overhangs you get exposed to.

LiK

Played Mercy again last night with some Gaffers for fun and she's pretty boring for me now. Zen all day. Got another PotG with him.

Sande

It's way too easy to hang back in CTF and deal chip damage to make capturing impossible. It's not really CTF when you need to secure a 100ft radius around the flag to even think about picking it up. CTF is supposed to be dynamic, but in OW the flags are essentially static capture points.

I'd say take away the capture interruption and increase capture time to compensate. Although that could make it too easy for something like D.Va going in with defense matrix and flying away with the flag. CTF is really difficult to make work properly with this much hero variety.

The last nail in CTF's coffin might be the fact that OW has insane mobility but very limited crowd control. So once someone gets a hold of the flag, the rest is usually just a formality.

LiK

i think whoever gets the flag should have all abilities turned off. it makes no sense that they can use them while holding the flag. D.vas ability to boost away or Tracer blinks makes it hard to catch them before they reach their base in these small maps. i remember some other games would disable certain abilities when holding the flags.

The very moment the first point became unlocked someone on our team left. Terrific. We all now have to get mullered for 3 rounds straight. Should be fun.

First round. Lose 100-0.

Yep, this is about right. I say fuck it, and switch from Lucio to Tracer for the last round. May as well have a little bit of fun. Upon doing this, our Hanzo switches to Zen. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Third round. We take the point. And we hold on for a 100-0 victory. Ha. Not bad.

Fifth and final round. The team of 6 seem to get their act together. Completely overpowered us. They're leading 78-0. We make one final push. A sticky bomb to Roadhog, a Tactical Visor activated. A Transcendence get us in. We've pushed them back. We got the point. No way is this happening!

We hold on for the win.

Wow not a single reply to this amazing story. I was excited just reading it congrats on the amazing win =)

Mendrox

First round. Lose 100-0.

We hold on for the win.

These are the most fun matches in Overwatch and that is the reason why I am addicted to this game still.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The main problem with ctf is the maps, retrofitting lijabg tower's 3 phases leaves like 50% of the map untouched. Create some new, unique maps and I can see a more positive reaction.

Also I think i'm slowly picking up hanzo, can see why everyone hates him now.

Lyng

First round. Lose 100-0.

We hold on for the win.

Awsome! Comeback victories are sooo sweet in OW

LiK

The main problem with ctf is the maps, retrofitting lijabg tower's 3 phases leaves like 50% of the map untouched. Create some new, unique maps and I can see a more positive reaction.

Also I think i'm slowly picking up hanzo, can see why everyone hates him now.

I got killed by Hanzo one shots way too much lately. Seems people have gotten better with him. Not even from Scatter arrows. Makes going after them frustrating.

So from what I can tell, the 3 maps of Lijang CTF require some pretty different strategies due to their layouts.

Control Center is all about area denial. Because there are so many small hallways and the placement of the flag, you want to be able to block off an area to either seperate the enemy team, or to secure their flag, or your path to cap.

This makes characters like Winston, Mei, and Reinhart pretty valuable. Because of the small space, Torb and Sym aren't as powerful here.

Garden is more about full offense. Because the enemy team can see the flag point from the spawn room door, this means you have less time than the other two maps to actually make your capture. The best way around this seems to move as a solid unit. Because of this open space, Torb turrets are helpful as they can reach a further distance, but are also subject to Pharah's long range.

This makes characters like Rein, Roadhog, DVa, 76, and Pharah pretty valuable here. Basically, you almost want a dive comp.

Night Markets is interesting, because there are a lot of small narrow corridors, but the open middle grounds makes traversing a challenge for more fragile characters. Plus, the shape of the Flag area is very awkward. This is the map where Torb and Sym seem to do the best, as there is so many varying levels of height as well as visual noise to hide Sym's turrets. Because of this Winston almost feels mandatory for cleanup.

Sombra, Tracer, Reaper, Junkrat, and Mei work pretty well here.

Note: This is all obviously just my anecdotal evidence, and is all from a console (PS4) perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom