• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had like one good game last night out of four. Ugh. Back to the 2700s. I need to stop trying to fill in and just lock in S76 or Hog, because I can't really trust others to do it.

There was a game where a five stack kept treating it like a pro game, trying to group up and flank right in view of the other team lol.

They kept wondering why their two minute coordination kept getting flanked by Mei, well it was because you literally walk up, show them where you're going, and never check your backside.

Down 2-0 on Nepal, I desperately switch to junkrat and we somehow get to 2-2 and then we lose with a 99%-0% start because they can't hit anything.

Ugh. Anyone on during 6-10 PM PST that I can queue with to make this climb more bearable? I've been in 2700-2800 for almost a month now, every time I hit 282X it's just loss after loss.

Talynn#1113

LiK

So from what I can tell, the 3 maps of Lijang CTF require some pretty different strategies due to their layouts.

Control Center is all about area denial. Because there are so many small hallways and the placement of the flag, you want to be able to block off an area to either seperate the enemy team, or to secure their flag, or your path to cap.

This makes characters like Winston, Mei, and Reinhart pretty valuable. Because of the small space, Torb and Sym aren't as powerful here.

Garden is more about full offense. Because the enemy team can see the flag point from the spawn room door, this means you have less time than the other two maps to actually make your capture. The best way around this seems to move as a solid unit. Because of this open space, Torb turrets are helpful as they can reach a further distance, but are also subject to Pharah's long range.

This makes characters like Rein, Roadhog, DVa, 76, and Pharah pretty valuable here. Basically, you almost want a dive comp.

Night Markets is interesting, because there are a lot of small narrow corridors, but the open middle grounds makes traversing a challenge for more fragile characters. Plus, the shape of the Flag area is very awkward. This is the map where Torb and Sym seem to do the best, as there is so many varying levels of height as well as visual noise to hide Sym's turrets. Because of this Winston almost feels mandatory for cleanup.

Sombra, Tracer, Reaper, Junkrat, and Mei work pretty well here.

Note: This is all obviously just my anecdotal evidence, and is all from a console (PS4) perspective.

You forgot to mention Zen is good for all versions.

LiK

Can you capture the flag while ulting as Zen?

Nope, seems anything that makes you invulnerable doesn't allow capturing. But he's so good in both offense and defense. I was using him this week and he's extremely versatile. I could go help capture by healing and attacking and I was able to fend off tanks like Winston and D.va with Discord. Really fun hero for CTF.

rulerk1

has anyone even heard voicelines when they or the enemy has been revived? Gamepedia says there are voicelines for these situtations.

AbaFadi

Banned
It seems lots of people either dont give a shit about the DVa nerf, or just dont realize shes been nerfed.

Ive seen more people picking DVA consistently, than heroes like Pharah and Rein in competitive. (3000-3200 SR level matches) so that could be why though too....

She was always a really popular pick around the diamond level and below. Doubt the buff or nerf changed that for a lot of people.

On a side note, if anyone wants to climb on console, just run pharmercy. You'd be surprised how much that dominates top 500 games lol. People legit just can't aim on console.

Rocketz

So I finally got to see to see how much D.VA was affected by the nerfs when I played a comp match last night with Hog.

Oh boy. I felt kinda bad after the match was over as she stood no real chance.

Pooya

Is it just me or getting headshots with widowmaker is way easier now? I was playing mystery heroes, I have like less than an hour on widow total... and I was landing headshot left and right on first attempts. It was fun... I think the hit box is bigger.

Still waiting for a decent Zarya skin.

I want a metalworker Zarya skin, with a welding mask that covers her face in laser mode. Also the laser should be red/orange and she could have a rosie the riveter type look about her.

I just want to look cool when I'm blasting fools

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I found that I can probably make more of a difference on Soldier than on a healer in lower leagues because he's so self-sufficient. Good damage, can self heal, and can run back into the fight after a death.

Can't really heal much if everyone is scattered, overextending, trickling in, juking my heals, and so on. Plus everyone yells at you for not healing them immediately. And even if you keep people up, they probably can't aim so then the team dies when you die because you're solo healing.

Had a game last night where I was the only healer, and one guy on the mic was making stupid noises while yelling at everyone to change (while insisting on staying on Reaper himself), while another guy was yelling at everyone to fight on the payload while I was dead. Fun times.

Paltheos

I had like one good game last night out of four. Ugh. Back to the 2700s. I need to stop trying to fill in and just lock in S76 or Hog, because I can't really trust others to do it.

There was a game where a five stack kept treating it like a pro game, trying to group up and flank right in view of the other team lol.

They kept wondering why their two minute coordination kept getting flanked by Mei, well it was because you literally walk up, show them where you're going, and never check your backside.

Down 2-0 on Nepal, I desperately switch to junkrat and we somehow get to 2-2 and then we lose with a 99%-0% start because they can't hit anything.

Ugh. Anyone on during 6-10 PM PST that I can queue with to make this climb more bearable? I've been in 2700-2800 for almost a month now, every time I hit 282X it's just loss after loss.

Talynn#1113

PC? I'm on during that time, roughly as EST (9-1 EST should be fine), and I'm hovering in the 2700s right now myself trying to hit Diamond. I play a bunch of different roles, usually preferring tanking (most frequently Reining) but can heal and DPS too. I've been looking for someone in the same range to play with to hit 3000 myself.

AngryMoth

I used to avoid playing road hog because I failed to convert hooks too often which was annoying. With the new update though I get kills every time so playing him quite a bit now and yeah, he is a ridiculous character. Just feels broken, hook being on a 6 second cool down is completely insane

My Zen gets no respect. I get PotG and a card and still 0 votes. I should just stop healing everyone.

I picked Ana in a game and told my group "I'm DPS Ana, no heals" to mess with them, and the first response was "That's cool, some people play battle Mercy too."

PC? I'm on during that time, roughly as EST (9-1 EST should be fine), and I'm hovering in the 2700s right now myself trying to hit Diamond. I play a bunch of different roles, usually preferring tanking (most frequently Reining) but can heal and DPS too. I've been looking for someone in the same range to play with to hit 3000 myself.

Yeah, PC. Tues/Thurs I usually play for an hour around 5-6, then M/W/F/S/S I usually play around 6-10 PM PST.

I have a character in every role I can play at least at a Plat level, but I prefer DPS.

Add me and message me when we're both online so I'll know to queue with you!

Grief.exe

Talynn#1113

It's a date.

Grief#1309

I used to avoid playing road hog because I failed to convert hooks too often which was annoying. With the new update though I get kills every time so playing him quite a bit now and yeah, he is a ridiculous character. Just feels broken, hook being on a 6 second cool down is completely insane

Where you're placing your cross hair is likely suboptimal. You generally have to aim lower than you think to maximize pellet impact and headshot damage.

Kremzeek

i think whoever gets the flag should have all abilities turned off. it makes no sense that they can use them while holding the flag. D.vas ability to boost away or Tracer blinks makes it hard to catch them before they reach their base in these small maps. i remember some other games would disable certain abilities when holding the flags.

Blizzard could have come up with some story/lore reason WHY the flag disables abilities, to make it seem less arbitrary.

Kaplans video explaining why they didn't just rings hollow.

LiK

Blizzard could have come up with some story/lore reason WHY the flag disables abilities, to make it seem less arbitrary.

Kaplans video explaining why they didn't just rings hollow.

Yea, but it's just common sense. Being the flag bearer should have some risk.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
i think whoever gets the flag should have all abilities turned off. it makes no sense that they can use them while holding the flag. D.vas ability to boost away or Tracer blinks makes it hard to catch them before they reach their base in these small maps. i remember some other games would disable certain abilities when holding the flags.
It's REALLY dumb when Sombra can just translocate halfway across the map right after grabbing the flag.

Had a CTF game last night where I disrupted as Winston while our Pharah took the flag on Night Market. She could basically fly the whole way back.

Then, when the flag re-popped, I was able to grab it and use Winston's jump twice to walk it in. His bubble made it even cleaner.

And I'm really hitting a groove with Sombra now with the changes, but I'm disproportionately better with her on Defense than Attack. Got the ult-based achievement and was 1 hack away from the other when I got killed.

She's a terror on Numbani. Hack the good health pack near the point. Sit on top of that building and concentrate on hacking Rein so his shields drop. Hack S76 when you can and then poke him to death when he can't self-heal. She counters Pharah pretty well, too.

So Roadhog is pretty much just as good as he was before, except now he takes way less skill. Cool.

Harbleu knew exactly how to make the 'bullshit' hooks work, it was an art. He could one shot Reaper and Ana consistently, which most people couldn't do.

Now the skill cap on the character is basically hook accuracy. Lame.

TheOddOne

I want a metalworker Zarya skin, with a welding mask that covers her face in laser mode. Also the laser should be red/orange and she could have a rosie the riveter type look about her.

Zarya's pink hair or bust.

Paltheos

Cool. Sounds good. I'm open to 3-man queue if we can all fill a role. That'll let us switch up too.

Oh, and my battle net ID is Paltheos #1779. (I forgot I could just google the number and I've posted it in past OTs too)

rulerk1

Blizzard pls

Chance

I frickin' love this idea.

So Roadhog is pretty much just as good as he was before, except now he takes way less skill. Cool.

Harbleu knew exactly how to make the 'bullshit' hooks work, it was an art. He could one shot Reaper and Ana consistently, which most people couldn't do.

Don't you still have to combo reaper and mei?

Also do you mean either walking up a bit before shooting, or the 90 degree turn while hooking to pull them closer.

It's a date.

Grief#1309

Yee will add when home. Any more than a 3 stack becomes a little hard to manage IMO.

Zarya's pink hair or bust.

Truth. Frosted tips comfy winter Zarya is the best though.

BUT THIS WOULD BE DOPE. Pink hair with the bandanna on? GIMME.

Don't you still have to combo reaper and mei?

Also do you mean either walking up a bit before shooting, or the 90 degree turn while hooking to pull then closer.
Yea after hooking you had to adjust your shot depending on the character in order to kill them.

Now they are pulled in for the perfect shot every time.

I said it before, but by removing the "bullshit" from the hook, you actually have a platform from which to balance Roadhog for real now. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a "real" nerf now that he functions properly in 99% of scenarios. It wouldn't have been a good idea to tweak his numbers while his hook functioned the way it used to.

I said it before, but by removing the "bullshit" from the hook, you actually have a platform from which to balance Roadhog for real now. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a "real" nerf now that he functions properly in 99% of scenarios. It wouldn't have been a good idea to tweak his numbers while his hook functioned the way it used to.
I'd expect Roadhog and Soldier nerfs next patch. Symmetra is interesting, I don't think she's that bad but at lower levels especially it's reaching Bastion tier, and it can be a little crazy when she get in the crowd and gets that beam charged. We'll see.

I don't see any characters in major need of a buff (except for the ones that always do) but the new (is it any different?) meta is young.

AbaFadi

Banned
I'd expect Roadhog and Soldier nerfs next patch. Symmetra is interesting, I don't think she's that bad but at lower levels especially it's reaching Bastion tier, and it can be a little crazy when she get in the crowd and gets that beam charged. We'll see.

I don't see any characters in major need of a buff (except for the ones that always do) but the new (is it any different?) meta is young.

I think Symmetra needs an ult charge increase. She has such a game changing ult, and for her to be able to get it in 10-15 seconds into the game is ridiculous I think.

For Roadhog, I would just increase the CD on his hook by 2 seconds maybe.

Veelk

Banned
I'd personally settle for her old 400/100 health bar, personally.

Since she is in a mech, her armor SHOULD be mostly armor.

Why don't people ever acknowledge that D.va is the only character in the game that has to die twice before she really dies? Getting a second life is amazing. She isn't just 400/200, she's 400/200 + a second character at 150. Plus she can fly and go invincible at will.

Grief.exe

I've played both supporting the new D.Va and against her as Roadhog. Her new healthpool is way too weak.

She's too difficult to actively heal when I'm playing Ana and she's so easy to hook + shred as Hog.

AbaFadi

Banned
I've played both supporting the new D.Va and against her as Roadhog. Her new healthpool is way too weak.

She's too difficult to actively heal when I'm playing Ana and she's so easy to hook + shred as Hog.

Season 2 Zarya couldn't kill her as fast as Roadhog can now.

Why don't people ever acknowledge that D.va is the only character in the game that has to die twice before she really dies? Getting a second life is amazing. She isn't just 400/200, she's 400/200 + a second character at 150. Plus she can fly and go invincible at will.

Cause if a player is good and isn't distracted mechless D.Va maybe has two seconds to live.

TheFuzz

Cause if a player is good and isn't distracted mechless D.Va maybe has two seconds to live.

I main DVa and did it last night as well. POTG 2 out of 5 times.

He's not wrong. I hardly die immediately after going Mechless. Her pistol is more powerful than the Mech and it doesn't take me long to call another Mech. Sometimes I will stay out of of it a few more seconds if I'm dealing tons of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom