• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another win with Junkrat on Eichenwalde let's goooooooo.

Man I love seeing a target trying to hide behind walls and just dropping those grenades on em.

Jellie

nrBkR0H.png

Maybe I should become a Lucio main again. 71.43% win rate with Lucio vs 54.55% with Ana. He just feels really weak to play and less impactful. Doesn't feel like I'm contributing much.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Definitely having more fun with Soldier than I did with Ana.

Soldier alone can't do shit against Pharmercy though. I can get one or the other low but I can't actually kill them before they fly away or run to safety. Maybe it's because I'm not good enough to land pro air rockets or some shit.

I also found that playing Mercy as half healer and half VERY MOBILE baby D.Va is a lot of fun. I had enough with damage boosting teammates only to have them not hit anything, so I started using her gun every time no one needed heals (barring obvious things like a DPS ulting or a Bastion in a good position). Got a lot of damage and kills that way because no one expects Mercy to fight back, and it was a hell of a lot more fun than just swapping between the two beam types.

The auto-reload when swapping between staff and gun really helps with these weapon swaps too. Does the gun always reload when swapping to the staff, or does it only happen if I pull out the staff for a certain time?

Akuun

You have to leave it on the staff for a second to let the gun reload, but it's still a useful trick.
Ah, okay.

It really works well with the whole weapon swapping thing, since you usually only need a few seconds to heal up non-tanks anyway.

Cappa

Banned
I am going to become a Bastion main after getting POTG on attack on Hanamura and unlocking the Turbocharged trophy at the same time.

Nope just kidding, he still sucks.

I am going to become a Bastion main after getting POTG on attack on Hanamura and unlocking the Turbocharged trophy at the same time.

Nope just kidding, he still sucks.

He was my main for my first 20 levels (currently 31). He's great against noobs! but yeah, if people know how to take him down he's rendered useless. I randomly broke him out for a win last night though. In quick play I was tossed into a stop the payload match but it was at like 90% already. On my first death I changed to Bastion and put him in turret mode on top of the payload which worked, I got a 6 kill streak and we pushed back all the way to the checkpoint for the win

I want to get better as Reinhardt, because I have his new legendary and I wanna buy the golden weapon for him, but I don't use him too often despite loving him as a character.

I tend to play him defensively, but not afraid to go on and smack things around if I need to. I like having a Mercy on me to back me up if I'm attacking things, and since I play on solo queue a lot I can't guarantee that I'll have a Mercy who'll stick with me, and I feel useless when I pick him and no one stays behind me when I have my shield up.

Whoever designed the Eichenwalde map needs their thumbs broken or something. This map is fucking awful.

I've literally never had a bad game on that map. Even when losing. I fucking love it. Taking the payload is its own map, basically, and taking it feels like an accomplishment, where in other maps it just feels like a foregone conclusion. The last corner is built for stalemate breakers and that little middle section with all of its height lets the Y-axis heroes shine.

Any specifics on what you hate about it?

Rizzi

I've literally never had a bad game on that map. Even when losing. I fucking love it. Taking the payload is its own map, basically, and taking it feels like an accomplishment, where in other maps it just feels like a foregone conclusion. The last corner is built for stalemate breakers and that little middle section with all of its height lets the Y-axis heroes shine.

The chokepoint at spawn for attackers.

TheOddOne

Sombra's utility is defined more by what health packs are in the area than the game mode. And Payload is fine. She's actually at her worst playing into second points on 2cp.
On paper, you're right but in practice I’ve yet to see a Sombra player contribute something useful in Payload. Especially when the enemy teams health sustain is boosted by two healers, denying them health packs seems useless in that regard and individual ‘hacking’ does very little. A Tracer seem to be the better choice, because good poke, decent damage and is much more disruptive. There are bound to be really good Sombra players in Payload, but I’ve not met them yet and the ones I’ve seen have been dreadful. I’ve have seen some successful Sombra players in 2CP though, the poke is good and her ultimate can turn tides.

Eichenwalde is okay.

It's Route 66 that I hate for some reason.
It's actually weird that there is no standard. On Eichenwalde, getting past the bridge and to the payload is an accomplishment. I have played many matches where it does not happen at all. On Route 66, the payload is a freebie for all but the worst teams.

Has Blizzard ever commented on this disparity? I feel like Eichenwalde is too much, but Route 66 is too little.

Id say eichenwalde is much harder to break.
You need specific flankers or good picks before going in since theres only one way in and the enemy team generally holds up close.

Anubis you can go down the middle.
The left to get to where the enemy usually stands or to the right to get up to high ground.

AbaFadi

Banned
If the enemy team isn't running a Mei on Eichenwalde it's not that hard to get past the choke point I think. Mei on Hanamura and Eichenwalde is one of the most annoying things ever in this game.

Akuun

If the enemy team isn't running a Mei on Eichenwalde it's not that hard to get past the choke point I think. Mei on Hanamura and Eichenwalde is one of the most annoying things ever in this game.
I remember a game where there was a defending Mei and Pharah. That wasn't fun.

Mei is good there, but Pharah is good for defense at that choke too. She can really minimize the time she is vulnerable while still launching rockets because there's so much cover for her to use.

Crzy1

I don't understand why people like to pick Hanzo so much in QP.
He's fun to play. Nothing more satisfying than random headshots and scatter arrow one shots. The more aggressive your play, the more dangerous he becomes. He's probably never the best pick, but if you're playing for fun, he's a good pick.

i thought it was because he was a sniper

Also Anime.

Like man, I get the character designs but like couldn't they have made Hanzo a tank or something simple so the skill ceiling for insta pickers would be much lower?

Also last night someone on our team insta picked Reaper. Like, first pick of the match and he goes Reaper on a payload map.

He proceeds to flank them but not kill them, because he won't go in until we distract them as he doesn't want them to turn around.

We start engaging the enemy and he's always the first to die due to not paying attention.

Which leaves him with plenty of time in between deaths to coach us all on how bad we're doing, and asking us to switch because the Genji keeps killing him and our comp isn't working.

That kid has issues, man.

Jellie

Also Anime.

Like man, I get the character designs but like couldn't they have made Hanzo a tank or something simple so the skill ceiling for insta pickers would be much lower?

Also last night someone on our team insta picked Reaper. Like, first pick of the match and he goes Reaper on a payload map.

He proceeds to flank them but not kill them, because he won't go in until we distract them as he doesn't want them to turn around.

We start engaging the enemy and he's always the first to die due to not paying attention.

Which leaves him with plenty of time in between deaths to coach us all on how bad we're doing, and asking us to switch because the Genji keeps killing him and our comp isn't working.

That kid has issues, man.

Had a Reaper on the other team who obviously had ult for at least two points of Kings Row. Every minute can hear him teleport so would stay back and dart him as he walked up behind the rest of the team. Darted him 4 times in a row that round and he got off his ult once and got one person with it before deciding to change. He should have changed earlier.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Just bought it, these characters are speaking to me

Mercy
Ana
Soldier
DVa
Big think with shield
Bastion

I typically pick whatever we lack, am I doing good Gaf?

On all of the original maps the attackers had a clear advantage. On Eichenwalde it is pretty close to even. I think it's the best designed map so far.

It's actually weird that there is no standard. On Eichenwalde, getting past the bridge and to the payload is an accomplishment. I have played many matches where it does not happen at all. On Route 66, the payload is a freebie for all but the worst teams.

Has Blizzard ever commented on this disparity? I feel like Eichenwalde is too much, but Route 66 is too little.

Those 2 maps aren't exactly comparable. Route 66 is straight up payload while Eichen is a hybrid, like Numbani or King's Row or Hollywood.

Coincidentally, the best maps in the game? Hybrids.

Prelude.

On all of the original maps the attackers had a clear advantage. On Eichenwalde it is pretty close to even. I think it's the best designed map so far.
The original maps have the first point hard to defend and the last hard to attack, Eichenwalde has both in favor of the defending team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom