• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got Mei's white event skin.
C3dc0sjVYAAwRMl.jpg:large
Clearly I have a reason for not being pleased by that.

Wanderer5

Did some CTF. Not that bad; pretty much what I expected from the mode. Some major turtling and such, but otherwise it can be quite a blast.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like it's super easy to stall people out at the first and second points of route 66.

Of course, your team actually needs to be smart enough to take advantage of the defensive positioning in those phases.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I wish I got more route 66.

If anything my biggest bummer about the game is that it recently decided for itself that I hated payload maps and looooove 2CP.
There are stretches of days that I don't see certain maps, but I get Watchpoint almost everyday.

Tracer robbed me of my POTG with a quintuple bomb. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaZn0MCbIoE

I feel like people are getting bored of the game or something. I'm seeing so much more stupid shit like Hanzo/Widow/Bastion picks when we have one tank or one healer. Feels bad man.
I don't think people are bored of the game, I think Blizzard has failed to create diverse meta, and people are tired of the existing meta.

Every team needs 2 healers. There are 4 healers total.
Every team needs 2-3 tanks. There are 4 healers total.

That's going to get old, and fast.

Then, every team needs 1-2 DPS. There are 13 options.

That should strike you as ridiculous. Simply by probability, one should expect that more people will want to pick among the 13 options for doing damage than the 4 for healing or the 4 for tanking. It's an incredible failure for the team.

Antiwhippy

I think mariohead meant that it's supposed to be "every moral fibre of his being."

I dunno, I don't mind it. It's nearly cute in a way. Like I used to bring up how much I hated facing against tracer.

Ramirez

I don't think people are bored of the game, I think Blizzard has failed to create diverse meta, and people are tired of the existing meta.

Every team needs 2 healers. There are 4 healers total.
Every team needs 2-3 tanks. There are 4 healers total.

That's going to get old, and fast.

Then, every team needs 1-2 DPS. There are 13 options.

That should strike you as ridiculous. Simply by probability, one should expect that more people will want to pick among the 13 options for doing damage than the 4 for healing or the 4 for tanking. It's an incredible failure for the team.

I understand that, but in competitive, you pick what wins, at least I would hope that's the mindset of people very high in rank.

I want nothing more than for the majority of picks to be viable.

Blues1990

I think mariohead meant that it's supposed to be "every moral fibre of his being."

I dunno, I don't mind it. It's nearly cute in a way. Like I used to bring up how much I hated facing against tracer.
There are characters I don't care about (McCree specifically, only because I don't find him all that much fun to play), but I don't go out of my way to remind everyone that I hate "insert character here" on a semi-regular basis. It doesn't contribute to anything constructive, & it isn't funny.

Ghazi

There are characters I don't care about (McCree specifically, only because I don't find him all that much fun to ploy), but I don't go out of my to remind everyone that I hate "insert character here" on a semi-regular basis. It doesn't contribute to anything constructive, & it isn't funny.

I don't find McCree much fun to ploy either

Just got steamrolled on Oasis. Nobody on my team can do anything. Either I die playing dps because our healers die. Or die healing because your dps can't secure kills without help.

Frustrating.

Last time I've checked, he probably doesn't even know how to play as her.
Why would I know how to play her when I've distinctly made an effort to avoid her?
There are characters I don't care about (McCree specifically, only because I don't find him all that much fun to play), but I don't go out of my way to remind everyone that I hate "insert character here" on a semi-regular basis. It doesn't contribute to anything constructive, & it isn't funny.
Son, I've posted well over 1,000 times in Overwatch threads. I feel perfectly entitled to discuss what I want, and I don't give a flying fuck what you find funny or not.

The chasm of qualities between Pharah players is just ridiculous. Either she's the first thing to go down in a match, or she's buzzing around, never coming down.

I hope we get another character that can challenge her for air superiority soon.

I understand that, but in competitive, you pick what wins, at least I would hope that's the mindset of people very high in rank.

I play competitive because I want to take a serious shot at a victory, but I don't think that means I have to "pick a top tier". It's still my time with the game.

Karst throwing the game at high levels picking sombra and shit smh

pick your random ass characters in fighting games where the Ls are yours alone, but you fuckin it up for your whole squad picking dumb shit

Hellllllllo OverwatchGAF.

I've been meaning to move over from console Overwatch to PC Overwatch for quite some time but I never did because I don't play any games on PCs and I've never been any good at FPS on PC. But after reaching Master rank on the console and reach almost 1,000 wins I thought it was time for a new challenge. I won't lie I thought I would get destroyed and wouldn't be able to hit the broad side of a barn. Here are two games I played today as Soldier and Hanzo (Logic and Parenegade are me!)

First game.
Code:
[IMG]https://i9ytpg.bl3301.livefilestore.com/y3pX-r6tZINwwgtArPEuPpg6Vk_c1Nl7L4ngJ5ZRrO5HdExqoycSDsmqTp1rkM4YDc6lW-gs7re6UxMViy2YHD8SqpZWKXm1hG-w6DPwgjlWCl8joCogbNLdkFBAOVxZdlreiD5nCO971rCAxOHWKl54lNXhM1yFpKVbpOUY6sZM0g/ScreenShot_17-01-30_17-44-08-000.jpg?psid=1[/IMG]

Hanzo?! Really?!
Code:
[IMG]https://kdytpg.bl3301.livefilestore.com/y3pIyBRsPMwhgT5AY-R_sL4DOWXbTLej9T_sU_UbszBkPyi2C-ONjHTnR6dI5B2Sw_5JKhkd6T9nNl_sG9IZBIXQyeEdJYRllkafZGTjqvH8Y9fixopbwUIAuxSp_btRT7R5GeXlm7UiPahSFrjRT1OTXl2gwfl6xNbneCKjtmB6aM/ScreenShot_17-01-30_20-48-14-000.jpg?psid=1[/IMG]

raw

I was wrong. So to anyone thinking I can't do it Mouse and Keyboard is too hard...it is! But it can be overcome! Go forth console players! Go forth!

Anne

I legit just think the general player base doesn't understand how team building works in the game since the only way to learn it is to dig around on niche parts of the internet, watch high level, and then critically think about why certain things were picked.

There needs to a better teaching tool in the game over the long term.

Ramirez

I play competitive because I want to take a serious shot at a victory, but I don't think that means I have to "pick a top tier". It's still my time with the game.

That's a shit attitude, you wanna fuck around with Widow or Bastion play QP and spare everyone the pain. It's a team game and you should at least be trying to make a team pick that makes sense.

Blues1990

Why would I know how to play her when I've distinctly made an effort to avoid her?

Son, I've posted well over 1,000 times in Overwatch threads. I feel perfectly entitled to discuss what I want, and I don't give a flying fuck what you find funny or not.
For the fist point, a little context would help. It's pretty rediculous that you are doing this, as even I had to force myself to play heroes I don't normally play as (such as Genji & Sombra in Mystery Heroes).

For the second, you can easily say "Oh, I got a skin for a character I don't play as. Meh." It gets the point across without making it sound like a annoying repetition of your opinion.

And don't call me "son".

I have like 250h+ on PS4 but own the pc one for PTR and screenshots and I decided to play a couple rounds on live today. I'm like level 20 and just picked symmetra and won every game because the matchmaking didn't know where to put me.

I do wish I played more on PC, characters like Ana are transformed. I think I have reasonably good accuracy with her on PS4 (hovers around 65%) but it's a constant fight.

Skii

I legit just think the general player base doesn't understand how team building works in the game since the only way to learn it is to dig around on niche parts of the internet, watch high level, and then critically think about why certain things were picked.

I dunno. I've seen a lot of triple tank at my lowly rank and I've been told off for not going the third tank. So there is clearly some thought about the meta going on. But I don't know if you mean more complex team building?

Antiwhippy

You also don't have to pick top tier to win.

You just need to pick characters that makes sense for the comp.

I have like 250h+ on PS4 but own the pc one for PTR and screenshots and I decided to play a couple rounds on live today. I'm like level 20 and just picked symmetra and won every game because the matchmaking didn't know where to put me.

I do wish I played more on PC, characters like Ana are transformed. I think I have reasonably good accuracy with her on PS4 (hovers around 65%) but it's a constant fight.

Mmm, I feel like if I'm anywhere under 70% I'm playing rather mediocrely.

Karst throwing the game at high levels picking sombra and shit smh

pick your random ass characters in fighting games where the Ls are yours alone, but you fuckin it up for your whole squad picking dumb shit
I prefer to go "team player", but at my ranks every time I do we lose because the DPS is bad. We do much, much better when I am greedy.

That's a shit attitude, you wanna fuck around with Widow or Bastion play QP and spare everyone the pain. It's a team game and you should at least be trying to make a team pick that makes sense.
Pretty dramatic response - take a break and come back.

Plesiades

Recently, the Windows Ink Workspace opens from time to time when I'm playing. Really annoying.

EDIT: It's probably the Win+W shortcut, but for some reason, I need to alt-tab like 5 times to go back into the game. Weird.

Mmm, I feel like if I'm anywhere under 70% I'm playing rather mediocrely.
Yeah, I feel like it is def much easier to aim using the mouse. I've tried messing with sensitivity on the PS4 and stuff but I can never get it to feel quite right, something about the dead zones and acceleration curve feel slightly off no matter what.

I try my best though ^^

Maximo

Yeah I don't give a fuck what people pick if they are good at the hero.

Anne

I dunno. I've seen a lot of triple tank at my lowly rank and I've been told off for not going the third tank. So there is clearly some thought about the meta going on. But I don't know if you mean more complex team building?

I mean more complex team building. It's easy as shit to look at reddit and twitch and go "oh so everybody is picking 3 tanks, we do that and we win." A lot of people are just doing that, and they aren't looking at the reasons why 3 tank works, they just blame it on tanks being too good and move on. Team building in this game is pretty simple, but nowhere near that simple. Once you get past the basic core ideas of how to build a team you have to look at in depth interactions and how you want that to work, and people just don't know. Like ask the average player why you pick Hanzo on offense of King's Row against a Ana/Rein shell team. They probably don't have a good answer for you other than they saw Taimou do it.

There needs to a better teaching tool in the game over the long term.
Well, that's one argument for the game having or getting some kind of light arcade/story mode. Make it smoother to ease players in.

I don't think that solves any complaints about a meta stagnancy or anything like that though.

Antiwhippy

When people first became aware of the tank meta, people were running shit like zarya/dva/hog or winston/dva/zarya aka avoiding rein for some reason and I always typed in chat "do you guys even know what the tank meta is?"

Anne

I don't think that solves any complaints about a meta stagnancy or anything like that though.

It probably could if people understood how to make teams rather than just go off what's the top meta team. Almost every character in the game is viable in some capacity at pro level, and I'd say just about everybody is fine on the public ladder. The average player just goes "well Widowmaker is shit" without understanding when/how to build a team that works with her. That's just an example. There's also a lot more in the game than just 2/2/2, 2/2/2 is just the easiest balanced template to start making a team with.

Again, nowhere in the game can you learn any of this, and watching pro play and browsing reddit without critically thinking about stuff really gets you nothing but a tier list you can't properly interpret.

When people first became aware of the tank meta, people were running shit like zarya/dva/hog or winston/dva/zarya aka avoiding rein for some reason and I always typed in chat "do you guys even know what the tank meta is?"

This really. Tank teams live and die by Ana/Rein more so than just being some dumb tank shit, but the average player just hears "lo three tanks" and goes crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom