• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the fist point, a little context would help. It's pretty rediculous that you are doing this, as even I had to force myself to play heroes I don't normally play as (such as Genji & Sombra in Mystery Heroes).
Mystery Heroes is an optional arcade mode. There's enough to do learning other characters that there's no need for me to waste my time on a D-Tier hero that I dislike.
For the second, you can easily say "Oh, I got a skin for a character I don't play as. Meh." It gets the point across without making it sound like a annoying repetition of your opinion.
I could, but I didn't. And I'll continue talking how I please. If it bothers you so much, there's an ignore function. Use it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It probably could if people understood how to make teams rather than just go off what's the top meta team. Almost every character in the game is viable in some capacity at pro level, and I'd say just about everybody is fine on the public ladder. The average player just goes "well Widowmaker is shit" without understanding when/how to build a team that works with her. That's just an example. There's also a lot more in the game than just 2/2/2, 2/2/2 is just the easiest balanced template to start making a team with.

Again, nowhere in the game can you learn any of this, and watching pro play and browsing reddit without critically thinking about stuff really gets you nothing but a tier list you can't properly interpret.

Some shit that gels together sometimes don't make sense though. Like yesterday I somehow managed to get myself into an old misfits comp (reaper+mei with me on mei) against a triple tank and managed to wreck them. Like you wouldn't think reaper+mei is a natural DPS pairing, but hey it works.

Which is healthy for the game I think. Stuff like pharmercy or wisnton+genji+zen makes sense, but it's good that it can have "off-kilter" comps.

Blues1990

You also don't have to pick top tier to win.

You just need to pick characters that makes sense for the comp.
I agree with this sentiment.

But I feel it's sometimes better for a teammate to be able to use a character that they know like the back of their hands, rather than forcing them to switch to another that they have little-to-no experience with, all for the sake of "what works". I've won more games in Competitive Mode where I was able to work with them, rather than against, & we had more fun in doing so.

I guess it depends on being flexible, you dig?

Mystery Heroes is an optional arcade mode. There's enough to do learning other characters that there's no need for me to waste my time on a D-Tier hero that I dislike.

I could, but I didn't. And I'll continue talking how I please. If it bothers you so much, there's an ignore function. Use it.

Don't go in deep, but if you can explain the "why" in a calm, mature manner, then cool. I otherwise like your posts, as they are quite informative.

I had a team with Roadhog, Mercy, Bastion, Torb, Symmetra and Junkrat yesterday on Hollywood. They didn't even get the first point. (ended up a draw though)

When people first became aware of the tank meta, people were running shit like zarya/dva/hog or winston/dva/zarya aka avoiding rein for some reason and I always typed in chat "do you guys even know what the tank meta is?"
I feel like to some extent, that's less a function of people not "getting" the meta, and more a function of people not getting how to play Rein and thinking he's completely boring. But it is fair to point out that even so, players are still dumb.
It probably could if people understood how to make teams rather than just go off what's the top meta team. Almost every character in the game is viable in some capacity at pro level, and I'd say just about everybody is fine on the public ladder. The average player just goes "well Widowmaker is shit" without understanding when/how to build a team that works with her. That's just an example. There's also a lot more in the game than just 2/2/2, 2/2/2 is just the easiest balanced template to start making a team with.

Again, nowhere in the game can you learn any of this, and watching pro play and browsing reddit without critically thinking about stuff really gets you nothing but a tier list you can't properly interpret.
Well in the example of some characters like Widow, that's also a case of players perhaps not having the dexterity to play the character. In which case again, a better singleplayer arcade mode would probably help players learn those skills.

I guess my concern with the meta was that your average dumb player might see some composition in an arcade mode and assume that's the way to play.

Anne

Some shit that gels together sometimes don't make sense though. Like yesterday I somehow managed to get myself into an old misfits comp (reaper+mei with me on mei) against a triple tank and managed to wreck them. Like you wouldn't think reaper+mei is a natural DPS pairing, but hey it works.

Which is healthy for the game I think.

It's a good thing that you can make things outside of some cookie cutter standard work, ye. I do think teaching "template" teams with clear goals in mind, then showing how to create variations of that is a good teaching pool. I'm convinced the population would instead just stick to those templates though cause lol what is learning the game anymore.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I agree with this sentiment.

But I feel it's sometimes better for a teammate to be able to use a character that they know like the back of their hands, rather than forcing them to switch to another that they have little-to-no experience with, all for the sake of "what works". I've won more games in Competitive Mode where I was able to work with them, rather than against, & we had more fun in doing so.

I guess it depends on being flexible, you dig?

Sometimes that can really work against you though.

Like yesterday I picked a healer in eiche attack, we needed 1 more tank, and saw that there was someone lagging his pick. I saw that he doesn't really play a tank but do play healers, so I switched to reinhardt instead.

He picked junkrat.

We couldn't make it past the first point
while he was still on junk, he switched to ana in the last minute, we nearly pushed it all the way, and won the game.

I try.

tcxpux2.png

Almost as helpful to the team as the worst Ana :p

Blues1990

Sometimes that can really work against you though.

Like yesterday I picked a healer in eiche attack, we needed 1 more tank, and saw that there was someone lagging his pick. I saw that he doesn't really play a tank but do play healers, so I switched to reinhardt instead.

He picked junkrat.

We couldn't make it past the first point
while he was still on junk, he switched to ana in the last minute, we nearly pushed it all the way, and won the game.

That's true. There are players who will claim that they are good with certain heroes, only to quickly discover that they either don't have a clue with how to properly use them or are getting hardballed by a hard counter.

And then you have the tossers that will shift the blame on their own short comings & cloud up the atmosphere with negativity.

But I find it to be a good rule with being flexible and politely communicating with that player to help them out. If that doesn't work, then it's best to be a bit selfish & play a self-suntanning hero to help compensate.

CTF is such a stalemated mode.

I'm getting mixed results for that mode. Like with how 'Junkenstein's Revenge' had limited the character pool for that mode, I feel CTF would work better (in QP & Competitive) if it's single flag & having heroes that don't excel in mobility. Limiting to Widow, Mercy, Ana, Reinhardt, McCree, & Zarya. Might make it work?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Getting better at dealing with Pharah but god damn, Soldier is totally not a hard counter to her. You have to really aim and burst fire to even hit her decently, and she'll almost always land before you manage to kill her unless you're so close she can rocket you easily.

Blues1990

Getting better at dealing with Pharah but god damn, Soldier is totally not a hard counter to her. You have to really aim and burst fire to even hit her decently, and she'll almost always land before you manage to kill her unless you're so close she can rocket you easily.
Not only that, but the team has to help create space for Solder: 76 to excell. And it's basically required to have a Zenyatta to discord the Pharah or Mercy that's trailing along, so that the Soldier player can effectively take them out.

If she has to land, I'd consider that a small victory. She's isn't doing anything on ground.

komaruR

At least with Bastion getting buffed I might have a reason to use the Blizzcon skin. Why did it have to be Bastion.

think theres talks about him getting some tweak next.
since we're talking about bastion, wish he got some dash or rocket boost ability in his turret mode. like 1 time per turret mode switch. think this can give me some more strategy gameplay. like you can either turret mode at a corner then dash forward and surprise atk or save that while u in turret mode mauling down enemy and as soon you get focus, you dash to safetly. when you dash, you still stay in turret mode.
it should be an ability that can only be used once per every time you change to turret mode. to reset, you gotta go back to recon mode then turret mode.

Can anyone explain how to use Rein effectively?

I'm trying to use him more, especially since people usually don't want to play him (well he's really common, but most people don't play him because they want to).

I usually end up getting my shield sheddred and whenever I swing around an enemy up close they manage to killing me.

Playing on console btw

AbaFadi

Banned
This really. Tank teams live and die by Ana/Rein more so than just being some dumb tank shit, but the average player just hears "lo three tanks" and goes crazy.

Yeah, I've seen triple tank with Lucio and Zen, and the whole time I'm just wondering when they'll realize they need an Ana.

Pharah needs a nerf so bad on console.
If anyone wants to climb on console use Pharah. I'm not even lying, top 500 players can't even kill her half the time lol

Ramirez

If anyone wants to climb on console use Pharah. I'm not even lying, top 500 players can't even kill her half the time lol

The damage drop off is just really severe. Throw in a Harmony orb, or Mercy, plus other people helping damage you while you're trying to damage her, and it's a recipe for disaster most of the time. It doesn't help that most people seem to be in the mindset of it's Soldier/McCree's job to kill her, so I won't even attempt to help or distract her.

I see that problem a lot with Rein's shields, it's like people don't understand that everyone should be dumping damage in it to break it, and not just the DPS people.

DR2K

Banned
That's a shit attitude, you wanna fuck around with Widow or Bastion play QP and spare everyone the pain. It's a team game and you should at least be trying to make a team pick that makes sense.

Or you pick the character you excel at if you want to contribute to the team. The game does not live and die by team composition. If it were that broken no one would be enjoying it.

I play attack Symmatra and always contribute the most to my team damage, kill, and utility wise.

Ramirez

I play attack Symmatra and always contribute the most to my team damage, kill, and utility wise.

Always? Ok.

So, if your team had one healer, and no tank, you'd still pick Symm?

I'm talking about people seeing the team lacking in support or a key tank and opting to go Hanzo/Bastion/Widow/Sombra/Symm.

Trey

Or you pick the character you excel at if you want to contribute to the team. The game does not live and die by team composition. If it were that broken no one would be enjoying it.

you're out dpsing your team with symmetra consistently? wow, you have great luck with playing poor opponents.

Wanderer5

Did 3v3 match for the first time, and that was pretty interesting. Didn't do too hot on Ana later on, but my team won out with our D.Va vs Widowmaker lol. Got two loot boxes out from the win too (first time 3v3 win and 3rd arcade win), which I ended up getting Symmetra's new skin.

It's a pretty sweet skin though

The rooster is a really nice touch for it heh.

Soma

rIn62FU.png

vWo8oMh.png

source

this has pretty much been my experience all night (except i'm usually playing zenyatta)

and i'm sure i saw a lucio switch to junkrat at some point.

i think i'm just gonna play Doom for the rest of the night :|

maomaoIYP

Solo Q isnt so bad. :)

https://s29.postimg.org/h6z105dp3/Capture.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Exactly! I don't have anything against solo queue at all. The only thing that annoys me is getting put against stacked teams of masters and GMs, like that horrifying screenshot Ghazi posted a few pages back.

The amount of original legendary skins I've been getting since the Lunar boxes is an absolute joke.

2 Widowmakers. A Zarya. A Tracer. A Torbjorn.

I did just get the new Sym skin though. And I've just about got enough to buy the D.Va skin if needs be. So it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom