• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

maomaoIYP

So I just bought the game. Is it like a Team Fortress 2? I'm having a hard time regarding, you know, having fun.

I've never played TF2 so I can't really compare, but in OW you'll need to learn the mechanics of each character, so that will take quite a little time.

DR2K

Banned
Always? Ok.

So, if your team had one healer, and no tank, you'd still pick Symm?

I'm talking about people seeing the team lacking in support or a key tank and opting to go Hanzo/Bastion/Widow/Sombra/Symm.

Yes. I can warp the team or give everyone a much needed shield boost. I can also tear apart DPS, go through Reins shield and set up turrets for support. I'm working and planning around my team.

Im happy to switch to Mercy or DVA as they're also my mains. But I rarely feel pressured to. Mostly because there's almost always a Road Hog on my team, almost always now.

ISOM

I have to legit mute these OGN commentators sometimes, they talk about the most inane things as if the audience cares about their lame jokes.

Cappa

Banned
Or you pick the character you excel at if you want to contribute to the team. The game does not live and die by team composition. If it were that broken no one would be enjoying it.

I play attack Symmatra and always contribute the most to my team damage, kill, and utility wise.

Right, but whats your win rate at? Stats are fine but if youre not winning games maybe you should contribute to the dynamic of the team. The game doesnt live and die by team composition sure.... you can have a pretty bad team on paper and just win on shear talent.(Ive had plenty of games like that) but imagine you decide to run Symmetra on attack on Hanamura.

Your teammates decide to go Lucio, Roadhog, Dva, Tracer,Reinhardt.
The enemy team also has a Symmetra, a Rein, a Roadhog, Mei, a Mercy and a Pharah.

As much as youd like to think youre contributing, youre not because no one is taking care of that Pharah. I think there needs to be a balance between picking what youre best with, picking what your team needs, and switching to something else to counter whatever the enemy team has if its not working. The most frustrating aspect to me of Overwatch are teammates who either a)dont switch ever when its not working or b)switch to soon or switch so much that they never built up any ults.

Im also not saying you do or dont do any of those things.... this is just a general rant not directly directed to you... just replying to your comment based on what other people have said etc. :)

Anne

Seriously though why does everybody and their mother play genji in Korea?

Early ladder and emerging comp play in Korea was built almost exclusively on dive strats, and mechanically gifted Genjis were carrying almost every single game you saw in those days. It's just a leftover from that.

Korea has a large amount of Zaryas and Winstons compared to other regions too :p

Anne

Do other esports games have this many issues.
Feels like theres always something going on in every tournament.

Kinda, yeah. Technical pauses are pretty common in other games.

The thing that is troubling is the crashes. That's not okay.

The pauses tonight had to do with player equipment, not the game afaik.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'd have to buy a ticket to korea first.

Also stitch is killing it as tracer holy shit. People focus on haksal but the tracer is doing massive work.

Cappa

Banned
Do other esports games have this many issues.
Feels like theres always something going on in every tournament.

Nope, not this many, probably one of the main reasons why Overwatch as an esport hasnt taken off yet despite many people saying it will be THE game to put Esports "on the map."

Its shit spectator mode is one of the reasons why I dont bother to watch live, Ill catch the highlights.

Nope, not this many, probably one of the main reasons why Overwatch as an esport hasnt taken off yet despite many people saying it will be THE game to put Esports "on the map."

Its shit spectator mode is one of the reasons why I dont bother to watch live, Ill catch the highlights.
I don't know how you could possibly fix it though. Are there other team based fps that do it better?

CSGO is kind of the gold standard.
could you please explain what the differences are?

i have close to 0 knowledge of esports :p

i've heard people complain a lot before about streams hovering on genji and tracer for too long and due to their erratic movement it becomes hard to see what's happening, but what are the other issues?

Fancolors

I don't know how you could possibly fix it though. Are there other team based fps that do it better?

CSGO is pretty successful and not that hard to watch. The primary difference it has from Overwatch is how the matches are paced.

In CS you can usually focus on certain players, because not everyone is shooting and fragging at the same time and it has a slower buildup to action, not to mention a handy map showing everyone's position for the audience.

OW has none of that, and watching teamfights is a whole lot more disorienting.

The fact CSGO has a community market also helps a lot.

Anne

could you please explain what the differences are?

i have close to 0 knowledge of esports :p

i've heard people complain a lot before about streams hovering on genji and tracer for too long and due to their erratic movement it becomes hard to see what's happening, but what are the other issues?

There's a map that shows you where people are. During slower paced parts of matches they even bring up a blown up one so you can see better. There are more dynamic camera options built directly into the game. There a bunch of toggles so you can see grenade arcs and even the exact spots players are looking.

Like, it's basically a lot of the dev tools for source engine that are useful for visibility and spectating are just built straight into the spectator mode.

There's a map that shows you where people are. During slower paced parts of matches they even bring up a blown up one so you can see better. There are more dynamic camera options built directly into the game. There a bunch of toggles so you can see grenade arcs and even the exact spots players are looking.

Like, it's basically a lot of the dev tools for source engine that are useful for visibility and spectating are just built straight into the spectator mode.

cool, thanks for the overview. has blizzard said anything about implementing things like this?

Cappa

Banned
Yep CSGO is the prime example like everyone has said... just the lack of information available to me as a viewer seems to be completely lacking from Overwatch E-sports right now.

It doesnt even have to be on the level of CS:GO(which hopefully one day it will be), but just give me some information, that me as a viewer can easily follow. Id like to know how the healers are contributing to the flow of the match, Id like to know whos taking the most damage for their team etc etc.

There just isnt any interest in me to following Overwatch pros live at these tournaments right now because all the information I want isnt available until the games have already finished and people write up their reports about them.

This interview with Montecristo more or less sums it up for me.

https://esports.yahoo.com/montecristo-overwatch-vegas-mlg-030000261.html

Anne

cool, thanks for the overview. has blizzard said anything about implementing things like this?

It's all just been vague stuff of "we're working on improvements." A lot of dynamic camera options and other things have been added recently, but it's not quite enough. The biggest issue is that the maps aren't very friendly to static camera angles, and visibility in team fights when you swap between player perspectives gets messy fast.

I don't mind if I miss seeing the Roadhog hook play from his perspective for instance, but it's hard to keep track of how that shakes out because Idk where he is standing :T That's really the biggest issue.

Edit: Also, yeah CSGO has a fucking scoreboard so I actually know who is doing what.

Damn! I'm gonna miss most (maybe even all) of the Lunar Year stuff coz of Yakuza 0. Game's ridiculously awesome. Did they decide to give out a bunch of free loot boxes this time around like they did with the Christmas event?

Yep CSGO is the prime example like everyone has said... just the lack of information available to me as a viewer seems to be completely lacking from Overwatch E-sports right now.

It doesnt even have to be on the level of CS:GO(which hopefully one day it will be), but just give me some information, that me as a viewer can easily follow. Id like to know how the healers are contributing to the flow of the match, Id like to know whos taking the most damage for their team etc etc.

There just isnt any interest in me to following Overwatch pros live at these tournaments right now because all the information I want isnt available until the games have already finished and people write up their reports about them.

This interview with Montecristo more or less sums it up for me.

https://esports.yahoo.com/montecristo-overwatch-vegas-mlg-030000261.html

It's all just been vague stuff of "we're working on improvements." A lot of dynamic camera options and other things have been added recently, but it's not quite enough. The biggest issue is that the maps aren't very friendly to static camera angles, and visibility in team fights when you swap between player perspectives gets messy fast.

I don't mind if I miss seeing the Roadhog hook play from his perspective for instance, but it's hard to keep track of how that shakes out because Idk where he is standing :T That's really the biggest issue.

Edit: Also, yeah CSGO has a fucking scoreboard so I actually know who is doing what.
Thanks. Here's hoping they add some of that stuff this year!
Damn! I'm gonna miss most (maybe even all) of the Lunar Year stuff coz of Yakuza 0. Game's ridiculously awesome. Did they decide to give out a bunch of free loot boxes this time around like they did with the Christmas event?
Only the one at the start of the event so far.

DevilDog

Overwatch won't be a big e-sport, just because of the nature of the game.

No matter how good the spectator tools are, they will never able to portray this mess in a fashionable manner.

CSGO is a huge esport because of how slow it is and how distinct everything is, plus the tons of mechanical skill allows for those super-wow moments, plus betting/skins.

''I'm all about the kox.''
Yes you are.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I thought the Chinese Pro OW Teams were trying to incorporate the character into their comp setups?

I dunno, never watched any chinese overwatch since APAC, but against co-ordinated teams they know to rush the point before torbjorn can snowball a defense.

I feel like they need to do something more to make him viable in pro play, but too much and he could be unbearable for the normal playing population. Though I can't say I've had massive troubles against torbjorn.

Blues1990

I dunno, never watched any chinese overwatch since APAC, but against co-ordinated teams they know to rush the point before torbjorn can snowball a defense.

I feel like they need to do something more to make him viable in pro play, but too much and he could be unbearable for the normal playing population. Though I can't say I've had massive troubles against torbjorn.

Aside from his turret, they could give Torb more stuff to build. Or rebalance his turret so it isn't as fragile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom