• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

Agreed, regardless of class. It pisses me off that the Support Heroes get less SR per win, as I had noticed this when switching from Mei/Zarya in a series of five games to Ana/Zenyatta in another set of five.

Wtf is this true?
I'm mostly zenyatta and lucio. so many games where me or other healers are absolutely the most valuable players on the team. That's bullshit.
I got 19SR for my last win and I fucking fought for it

Grief.exe

Me neither. I love playing the Support & Tank Heroes, but day by day it's becoming less fun in Competitive Mode. I want to be Zarya, Ana, Lucio, Mei, Zenyatta, &/or Reinhardt, but the DPS & snipers have such a hard on with those characters that it's becoming increasingly difficult to tolerate/cooperate with them.

Wtf is this true?
I'm mostly zenyatta and lucio. so many games where me or other healers are absolutely the most valuable players on the team. That's bullshit.
I got 19SR for my last win and I fucking fought for it

I believe that's just anecdotal as they fixed that.

antitrop

On an unrelated note, practicing some Lucio BM.
AN3RXLw.gif

Need to get a highlight intro though.
You should have let yourself die to the turret for the ultimate BM.

Blues1990

FUCK. I forgot about this. Screwed me over so hard Season 1.

How much are you getting/losing for each?

I get about 30 when I play support and 25 when playing DPS/tanks.

I average out between 30-40 SR for the Defense & Tank heroes (Mei, Zarya, Reinhardt specifically), while I get 20-25 for Support (Ana, Lucio, and Zenyatta). And this is when I can average out between 6,000-12,000 for healing. For the most part, I focus on trying to keep my team alive & topped up rather than landing kills, though I do launch my discord orb & help attack an enemy Pharah/Mercy combo when teaming up with Soldier 76 or chipping in with Ana on the offensive.

In team-based games like League of Legends and MMOs like World of Warcraft, support classes (medics, buffers, debuffers, etc.) are a necessary element of achieving victory. However, they're under-appreciated and sometimes under-played. Overwatch addresses that problem in some smart ways, but it doesn't completely solve the problem & they managed to create another system which favors damage and DPS characters.

The simple solution is to not track individual performance, just track win/loss. Granted, this means that good players will lose just as many points as bad players, and that 6-man pre-made's can more easily carry players, but it beats the alternative of having a broken score system. A good player is likely to win more than a bad player, & right now, players who make sacrifices for the team (while I love playing as Ana, Zenyatta, and Lucio, many don't enjoy playing Support Heroes as much as other roles & are usually forced into them) get punished for it. That's just not acceptable.

Jellie

You should have let yourself die to the turret for the ultimate BM.
Yeah should have laughed again until I died probably.
I average out between 30-40 SR for the Defense & Tank heroes (Mei, Zarya, Reinhardt specifically), while I get 20-25 for Support (Ana, Lucio, and Zenyatta). And this is when I can average out between 6,000-12,000 for healing. For the most part, I focus on trying to keep my team alive & topped up rather than landing kills, though I do launch my discord orb & help attack an enemy Pharah/Mercy combo when teaming up with Soldier 76 or chipping in with Ana on the offensive.

In team-based games like League of Legends and MMOs like World of Warcraft, support classes (medics, buffers, debuffers, etc.) are a necessary element of achieving victory. However, they’re under-appreciated and sometimes under-played. Overwatch addresses that problem in some smart ways, but it doesn’t completely solve the problem & they managed to create another system which favors damage and DPS characters.

The simple solution is to not track individual performance, just track win/loss. Granted, this means that good players will lose just as many points as bad players, and that 6-man pre-made's can more easily carry players, but it beats the alternative of having a broken score system. A good player is likely to win more than a bad player, & right now, players who make sacrifices for the team (while I love playing as Ana, Zenyatta, and Lucio, many don't enjoy playing Support Heroes as much as other roles & are usually forced into them) get punished for it. That's just not acceptable.

Damn I must suck with tanks if 30-40 is your usual gain with them.

NeoRaider

Anyone else having Sombra bug? When i try to use translocator both animation and sound are there but Sombra doesn't teleport to where i placed the translocator. She only moves a little bit basically staying at the same place.

Is this known bug or it's happening only to me?

Blu(e)

Anyone else having Sombra bug? When i try to use translocator both animation and sound are there but Sombra doesn't teleport to where i placed the translocator. She only moves a little bit basically staying at the same place.

Is this known bug or it's happening only to me?

Don't throw it straight down. It's a reproducible bug.

Blues1990

Damn I must suck with tanks if 30-40 is your usual gain with them.

Keep in mind that Zarya is my go-to Tank, and she is honestly more of a Tank/Support hybrid (with a dash of DPS) than a pure Tank Hero. She is the character that brought me up to Platinum in Season 2, and I'm going to focus on her again in the upcoming Season 4 and not rely on playing Ana & co., as I can't get stressed out when playing this game. My friends placed high platinum, and I placed mid gold. We did the same exact games, and lost the same amount. Only difference? They went Zarya & the DPS Heroes, and I went Lucio.

With that said, I do get 30-40 SR when playing a more aggressive Reinhardt, but I just stick to being the resident meat shield with only going on the offensive when it's called for.

Jellie

Keep in mind that Zarya is my go-to Tank, and she is honestly more of a Tank/Support hybrid (with a dash of DPS) than a pure Tank Hero. She is the character that brought me up to Platinum in Season 2, and I'm going to focus on her again in the upcoming Season 4 and not rely on playing Ana & co., as I can't get stressed out when playing this game. My friends placed high platinum, and I placed mid gold. We did the same exact games, and lost the same amount. Only difference? They went Zarya & the DPS Heroes, and I went Lucio.

With that said, I do get 30-40 SR when playing a more aggressive Reinhardt, but I just stick to being the resident meat shield with only going on the offensive when it's called for.

How much do you lose for each role though? Maybe it evens out? I don't find climbing as a support main too bad.

AbaFadi

Banned

Idk, I get gold or silver damage/ elim medals generally when I play heroes like Zarya, D.Va, and Roadhog, and don't get anywhere near that much. Generally I get less than 30.

How much are you getting/losing for each?

I get about 30 when I play support and 25 when playing DPS/tanks.

On an unrelated note, practicing some Lucio BM.
AN3RXLw.gif

Need to get a highlight intro though.

Does Lucio's movement affect the trajectory of his boop? That was WAY bigger that I've ever gotten against Roadhog or the other fatties.

Jellie

Does Lucio's movement affect the trajectory of his boop? That was WAY bigger that I've ever gotten against Roadhog or the other fatties.

Don't think it does. If they are moving towards you your boop won't do much. If they are retreating like the roadhog they'll go flying. Basically depends on the momentum of the enemy. Not sure if distance from the boop affects it though.

Blues1990

How much do you lose for each role though? Maybe it evens out? I don't find climbing as a support main too bad.

Idk, I get gold or silver damage/ elim medals generally when I play heroes like Zarya, D.Va, and Roadhog, and don't get anywhere near that much. Generally I get less than 30.

It's due to damage input and how frequent it is. Things like zoning and protecting the team is harder to track than damage dealt, which is one of the reasons why win/loss is the only thing that should matter when it comes to ranking. (And it's why I hate that the game punishes Support players for going double duty.)

The distance when you launch a character ultimately depends on which direction they are going & relative to your position. If a Roadhog player is moving to the right and you boop him to the left, he won't travel that far. If it's right and right, he will launch much farther.

Jellie

It's due to damage input and how frequent it is. Things like zoning and protecting the team is harder to track than damage dealt, which is one of the reasons why win/loss is the only thing that should matter when it comes to ranking. (And it's why I hate that the game punishes Support players for going double duty.)

The distance when you launch a character ultimately depends on which direction they are going & relative to your position. If a Roadhog player is moving to the right and you boop him to the left, he won't travel that far. If it's right and right, he will launch much farther.

Most I ever got playing a tank was 50SR as Reinhardt (not a streak). Only got 5 kills. Did barely anything that game. Just sat there on defence and died on attack. When I get lots of kills or do lots of damage with a tank still get 20-30SR.

I average 20-30 SR per win, and around 20-25 per loss. How much I climb or fall a night typically depends on how I go 50/50. If it's a streak of wins then a streak of losses I come out on top, but if it's alternating wins and losses I tend to be +-10-20 SR of where I started.

Got carried by a symmetra main at 3.2k on koth
Lol glad no one told the player to switch.
The players name was SYMMONLYBRO.

Lmao

I only ask people to switch if the team comp doesn't seem to be getting us anywhere. Most of the time I say I'll switch because I feel X isn't doing Y and we may want to switch up to get that done.

Nimby

Banned
Wish we got to see more Widow, and less triple tank.

Leetaejun and Dean also banned from the rest of Apex: link

Doesn't seem like this would be a thing at all in the West.

DR2K

Banned
Right, but whats your win rate at? Stats are fine but if youre not winning games maybe you should contribute to the dynamic of the team. The game doesnt live and die by team composition sure.... you can have a pretty bad team on paper and just win on shear talent.(Ive had plenty of games like that) but imagine you decide to run Symmetra on attack on Hanamura.

Your teammates decide to go Lucio, Roadhog, Dva, Tracer,Reinhardt.
The enemy team also has a Symmetra, a Rein, a Roadhog, Mei, a Mercy and a Pharah.

As much as youd like to think youre contributing, youre not because no one is taking care of that Pharah. I think there needs to be a balance between picking what youre best with, picking what your team needs, and switching to something else to counter whatever the enemy team has if its not working. The most frustrating aspect to me of Overwatch are teammates who either a)dont switch ever when its not working or b)switch to soon or switch so much that they never built up any ults.

Im also not saying you do or dont do any of those things.... this is just a general rant not directly directed to you... just replying to your comment based on what other people have said etc. :)

I have no objection to switching if I feel like I'm not carrying my weight or my team isn't working, but I feel like the burdon of switching should be on the players performing poorly.

Got carried by a symmetra main at 3.2k on koth
Lol glad no one told the player to switch.
The players name was SYMMONLYBRO.

Lmao

The best way to play "off-meta" characters is to hard commit. Playing Hanzo in comp my success rate in coming in without joining team chat is 100 percent. If they see you come in pre-muted (you can tell people always check when somebody picks something different since you see them stop bouncing around in the spawn and stand still) they get scared and leave you alone. Talking in comms makes them believe they can convince you to switch. Even if you do, this will cause a tilt chain reaction because they believe they have control over you and you will get blamed for everything. Even on maps like koth where every new round is a blank slate.

Had a game on gibralter with a symm only player. No one said a word the whole match. No callouts no nothing. Literally the easiest game I played all season. We pushed super fast with what felt like a perma uptime shield generator and on defense the enemy team didn't even get under the bridge.

Literally every disaster game always begins with some guy putting on faux friendliness with some cheeky "Hello team! Let's win the videogame!" Bonus points if it's a Rhein or Zenyatta picker. Those are pretty much guaranteed to be screaming like banshees in 5 minutes. You can tell they got this 'hot tip' for team bonding online either from reddit or some shit youtuber like Your Overwatch (avoid this channel in particular at all costs)

I-hate-u

Agreed, regardless of class. It pisses me off that the Support Heroes get less SR per win, as I had noticed this when switching from Mei/Zarya in a series of five games to Ana/Zenyatta in another set of five.

Really? Is this true? PSN brethrens I am never playing support again.

If they're jumping/running away from you, they will go out further than normal. If there is an enemy lucio speed boosting and they're jumping, they will go FLYING!

Skii

Wish we got to see more Widow, and less triple tank.

Leetaejun and Dean also banned from the rest of Apex: link

Doesn't seem like this would be a thing at all in the West.

Yeah, celebritiesin the west have always exploited their fame and popularity and there's never any repercussions like this. Guess social expectations are wildly different.

I remember reading that female Kpop singers are not allowed to have boyfriends because it makes them less desirable. Maybe it's the same for esport players however funny that might be.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Thing about support sr gain is that it measures a lot more than just your healing.

For example it really values ana's and zen's ability to frag. For ana the amount of sleep you can land affects it as well.

For Lucio it's also about frags and ability to get offensive assists.

So yeah you really can't be passively healing as support.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Yeah, celebritiesin the west have always exploited their fame and popularity and there's never any repercussions like this. Guess social expectations are wildly different.

I remember reading that female Kpop singers are not allowed to have boyfriends because it makes them less desirable. Maybe it's the same for esport players however funny that might be.
Wouldn't be surprised. Esports players in Korea are celebrities. Popular/good-looking Starcraft players used to end up on magazine covers, put in commercials, and brought in for game shows, just like boy band members.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, he's real hit or miss though. And with mccree back in the meta it would be good to have their mccree back.

Also Dean wasn't playing in lieu of zunba anyway.

antitrop

Ooh. That's a nail in her coffin on those maps then.

It's an easy bug to fix, you just have to go into options and tick the relevant options back and forth and then click Apply.

It's just really annoying to have to do that for every round, other than the very first.

scotcheggz

Fuck the dva nerf, all I ever hear now is some monkey dva player spamming "I need healing" over and over. I so want to slam that fucking button up her arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom