• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woo, a Sombra PotG, now Ana is the only character to elude me in this department.
Hey I might as well find another goal seeing that I ain't dipping into this competitive season.

And at last my loot boxes heralded joy, Sun Wukong Winston is mine, though now I have to drop the Yeti for a bit. Gee you wait ages for Winston skins then two great ones come along within a month of each other.

AbaFadi

Banned
There's no such thing as a forced 50/50%. On PS4, my win rate in competitive this season is 68%. There are plenty of people who have higher win rates. If you're in platinum rank or below, then you can definitely carry in those ranks.

rulerk1

Had a dude in my comp match last night carry us playing attack bastion/ clutch reaper in mid plat. Very interesting I have to say

Blizz really needs to do something about players leaving in comp. at least do something about sr los

How is the matchmaking on Xbox One for other people? I find my group of ~20 rank people being grouped with 100/88/90 ranked people very often. Is this because we're winning too many of our games?

PS: We only play quick play, we aren't about that competitive life

Ramirez

Just carried the fuck out of a team with Hog, and honestly if they ever nerf him to the point he can't carry, I'd probably just quit. He's the only thing keeping me sane when I get matched with people called "NotHanzo" who are Diamond Hanzo mains.

Just carried the fuck out of a team with Hog, and honestly if they ever nerf him to the point he can't carry, I'd probably just quit. He's the only thing keeping me sane when I get matched with people called "NotHanzo" who are Diamond Hanzo mains.

just play soldier after nerfs :^)

Because you're not as skilled as you think you are. That or the team always breaks apart.

Then by your logic, since it's balanced and working as it should, everyone is not as skilled as they think they are.

Or the team always breaks apart.

That makes total sense.

Jk

Not srs.

Adamm

Finding a team while in placement matches is hard work.

Anyone in desperate need for an unranked healer? :)

(PS4, I should have said)

PS4 ranked I don' remember the exact ratings but it was eithr high gold or low plat.
We were attacking on king's row and the team comp was: Reinhardt(me), Sombra,Bastion, Hanzo, Symmetra, Pharah.
Have a guess how that match went.....

it was a complete blowout win. I was screaming internally after seeing the character select screen, but I guess you never know...

Finding a team while in placement matches is hard work.

Anyone in desperate need for an unranked healer? :)

(PS4, I should have said)

Sure, send me a friend request. PSN=GAF name

Nah, that's how I feel as well. Oh great, I'm where I'm supposed to be! Stuck with idiots. However people justify the belief that 'you should only expect to win 50% of your games' is beyond me.

That's why I just play QuickPlay now and am toxic AF if I want to be.

IkFkmel.jpg

For solo queuing, it really does feel that lucky or unlucky streaks are the only way to gain or lose any significant SR after 'equalizing' to your effectively true rank after 30-40 matches in a season.

That being said, the quality of matches at around 3100 SR is way better than most matches below 2700 SR. There is definitely a player quality threshold that makes me dread the unlucky loss streaks which seems to only be corrected by a lucky win streak to balance it out.

------

Saying all that, when it comes purely to W/L ratio and not SR, it's a good thing that it eventually equalizes to about 50/50. This is the pure math of it all. The system sticks a player eventually in a skill range (placements are 10 games, but it really takes at least 30 or 40 games for the equalizing to give a player an accurate SR placement and range), and they're supposed to come out to 50/50 there. Otherwise the player would be going up in SR forever or down in SR forever.

This is just statistics and it means at least one part of the system is working as it should. If a player is always winning 60/40 or 70/30 and staying in the same skill range (effectively meaning that there are players on the opposite side of the spectrum winning 40/60 or 30/70), then the SR system wouldn't be doing its job as you'd either be always fighting higher skilled or lower skills players on average.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
First placement match... my team got completely and utterly stomped.

Really gives me confidence in the matching system to balance teams.

Ramirez

First placement match... my team got completely and utterly stomped.

Really gives me confidence in the matching system to balance teams.

Stomps and steamrolls happen at all levels frequently, just the type of game it is.

They can match you by skill, but they can't force that Widow to change. ;P

Teams that are just so passive irk me alot like we have a 1 or 2 man advantage just go instead they're just chilling at gate or choke inching forward.

Well atleast i made it back to 3.3k after falling to 2.9.
Second time ive had to climb back up after falling to 2.9k this season lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They can match you by skill, but they can't force that Widow to change. ;P
Worse than bad picks is your whole team repeatedly staggering into 5v1 or 6v1 situations and absolutely refusing to group up first. Even when I was Zen with my ultimate ready so we could make a proper grouped approach, and telling them that, they just kept trying to move in from different angles but only one at a time, dying one at a time. Then when it was our turn to defend, the other team just came in and took what they wanted like we weren't even there. I was trying to figure out how my team is so incredibly bad. Maybe I should have picked Pharah to make up for the damage they apparently weren't doing, but I kept so many of them alive as they refused to ever take cover when health was low that I don't think that would have worked.

I'll keep running my placement matches to at least (hopefully) shorten search times, but if this is just what the game is, I'm not sure it's worth it. FPS is the most crowded genre so there are many good alternatives.

Ramirez

Worse than bad picks is your whole team repeatedly staggering into 5v1 or 6v1 situations and absolutely refusing to group up first. Even when I was Zen with my ultimate ready so we could make a proper grouped approach, and telling them that, they just kept trying to move in from different angles but only one at a time, dying one at a time. Then when it was our turn to defend, the other team just came in and took what they wanted like we weren't even there. I was trying to figure out how my team is so incredibly bad. Maybe I should have picked Pharah to make up for the damage they apparently weren't doing, but I kept so many of them alive as they refused to ever take cover when health was low that I don't think that would have worked.

I'll keep running my placement matches to at least (hopefully) shorten search times, but if this is just what the game is, I'm not sure it's worth it. FPS is the most crowded genre so there are many good alternatives.

I mean you're expecting perfection out of every match, it isn't going to happen. Even at the highest ranks, people will still spam group up, and you'll see people go off and do their own thing. You'll run into people who have no idea how to combo ults, people who won't play heals or tank, etc.

No different than any other game, they all have their idiots.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I mean you're expecting perfection out of every match, it isn't going to happen. Even at the highest ranks, people will still spam group up, and you'll see people go off and do their own thing. You'll run into people who have no idea how to combo ults, people who won't play heals or tank, etc.

Most annoying thing is when the person staggering and getting killed then starts spamming group up after they just died and the team is on their way back. Then the whole team either has to wait awhile or they also just trickle in, but at this point if you start also saying group up it'll probably be ignored since the other guy is spamming it.

And it's amazing how many GMs/top 500s I see on streams just be some of the worst of the playerbase when it comes to not swapping characters. Team composition is so important, when someone gets stubborn and you have to warp your own team around them it's a disaster.

Ramirez

Most annoying thing is when the person staggering and getting killed then starts spamming group up after they just died and the team is on their way back. Then the whole team either has to wait awhile or they also just trickle in, but at this point if you start also saying group up it'll probably be ignored since the other guy is spamming it.

I need a "get off fucking Hanzo" emote.

I dropped from 2.5k to 1.8k. I don't even know if teamwork in gold tier and below.

yeah.. I think I got to around 2.8k in season 2, then season 3 hit and it put me around 2k after placements. got to 2.3k and since i can't reliably group with friends i'm stuck with solo queue and now hover around 2k and probably will forever

Woo-Fu

Banned
If you really think about it Blizzard couldn't come close to enforcing 50/50 without having a very good idea of both individual and team ratings. That tells me that their rating system works even if some people don't like it.

I made it into plat from gold this season entirely solo-queuing, btw, so it is possible. That was 15 hours of Zenyatta and an hour or two on a few other characters. I think Zenyatta is incredibly effective once you've got the aim/timing down since you can kill anybody faster than they or their healers expect them to get killed. Discord orb followed by consecutive headshots kills non-tanks practically instantly short of a biotic grenade hitting during the combo.

Oxn

The higher ranks are just idiots with better aim.

Roxkis_ii

For the best competitive experience, I find having a 3 stack is necessary, or a 2 stack at the very least. The people matchmaking group you with can be so random, so it's comforting to know you atleast have 2 other people on your team that are trying as hard as yourself and provide positive feedback.

It's the only way I got out of bronze, which is crazy since I can sometimes carry games in silver.

Oxn

For the best competitive experience, I find having a 3 stack is necessary, or a 2 stack at the very least. The people matchmaking group you with can be so random, so it's comforting to know you atleast have 2 other people on your team that are trying as hard as yourself and provide positive feedback.

It's the only way I got out of bronze, which is crazy since I can sometimes carry games in silver.

Ive seen some really amazing players in bronze, and i dont think they are smurfs.

Had a game on Dorado last night where we were literally 4 meters away from getting point A, but the whole team decided to ABANDON the payload so they can go find the teleporter instead of just staying and capturing that point. Of course, they all die cause all of the enemy players spawned there.

That allowed the defending team to reset and successfully defend point A for the rest of the game.

This probably speaks to my bitterness concerning the lack of event skins I've gotten, but I gotta ask.

Do people like sprays?

Because I'm level 50, and I never even bothered learning how to actually use them.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This probably speaks to my bitterness concerning the lack of event skins I've gotten, but I gotta ask.

Do people like sprays?

Because I'm level 50, and I never even bothered learning how to actually use them.
Some sprays are amusing. I remember where my spray hotkey is, but not my emote hotkey.

If it makes you feel better, I don't have any event skins either.

Foxxsoxx

Do people like sprays?

Some are funny but they're essentially filler toale gettimg skins more difficult.

Do people like sprays?

get used to seeing them in your lootboxes. its all downhill from here.

Do people like sprays?

I love continuously covering up someones spray with my own while waiting in the spawn. Some people get unreasonably upset over that, which amuses me.

Wanderer5

I guessing trying out comp mode this late unranked = more waiting time? Definitely getting a lot of that. Eh whatever, I'll probably fully dive in next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom