• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Depends on how they do it, but being able to affect high burst damage in concealed areas? That would be really good.

Think of it as having to watch out for sym turrets except you lose 120 health.

jviggy43

https://youtu.be/MfrzBFBmySY

hes not really a gaffer but i wouldn't be surprised

To be fair, I assume the same thing when I see a Hanzo in comp.Played with a guy who picked widow with less than an hour as her the other day; sure enough we lose cause he/she refuses to switch off until the last 30 seconds when its too late.

Also in regards to that video, Illios hanzo? Console Hanzo? Ok. (Not to defend that guy's behavior either but still his original assessment is probably shared by most of us)

Cappa

Banned
Ive been ignoring my bae Mei, due to being on a Zenyatta bender and Ive dropped soooooo much on overbuff noooooo.

mei.jpg

Depends on how they do it, but being able to affect high burst damage in concealed areas? That would be really good.

damage from his primary is too unreliable, which has always been the bane of junkrat competitively. sticky bomb launcher secondary would al least somewhat mitigate that.

or he could get crazy mobility and be like tf2 demos lul

Anne

Played S1 and stopped at 70, didn't play S2 period, placements go 7-3 in all Diamond games for S3 and get 3662SR. Cool I guess. The people I queued with for placements were plat apparently. S1 definitely counted towards that.

maomaoIYP

Ive been ignoring my bae Mei, due to being on a Zenyatta bender and Ive dropped soooooo much on overbuff noooooo.

https://s27.postimg.org/mq2e8v44j/mei.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

What maps do you play Mei on for comp? Hanamura, Eichwalde, King's Row and KotH? I've had people throw games because I took out Pharah, not keen on taking out Mei as well.

Cappa

Banned
What maps do you play Mei on for comp? Hanamura, Eichwalde, King's Row and KotH? I've had people throw games because I took out Pharah, not keen on taking out Mei as well.

Ive been playing Mei less on KotH maps and more on maps like Hanamura, Eichenwalde and Kings Row especially on attack. When I get paired with a good Reinhardt on my team(hi, Owzers!) I like to use Meis ice wall to block off the enemy teams Rein or whoever else I can get and have our Rein charge them. Usually ends up in a quick pick and a great way to break the choke points. I also think Mei + Zarya combined ults can swing the momentum of a game in seconds. So if I see Rein + Zarya on my team, Ill automatically just pick Mei.

To me the perfect comp for a Mei on attack right now is Rein + Zarya + S76 + Ana/Zenyatta + Lucio/Zenyatta. You can work around other DPS, but not if the enemy team has a Pharah.

So lately Ive just been playing alot of Zen because people arent willing to work around Mei.

Cappa

Banned
Yeah, exactly what I feared. Seeing Mei on attack might give some people the fits or something. Good tips though thanks.

People dont actually throw fits when I pick Mei or throw the game but they wont work around me either like theyll see me go Mei and then go Genji and Reaper or Tracer, which is fine but its not going to be a great comp... so I just switch to Zen.

I think in the past month Ive only had two people complain about me being Mei on attack well I think they were complaining because they would just melee me and spam "Thanks!".

At the time, I ended up sending both of the guys screenshots and just said "group up please." The issue wasnt me, the issue was we werent grouping up. The worst are people in groups of 2-3 who refuse to group up and then seem to blame everyone else for the loss.

PS_Messages_20170202_113651.jpg

RemiLP

I DCed from a match last night, and couldnt reconnect. Checked my SR now, and i didnt lose anything. How is that possible?

HiiiLife

To be fair, I assume the same thing when I see a Hanzo in comp.Played with a guy who picked widow with less than an hour as her the other day; sure enough we lose cause he/she refuses to switch off until the last 30 seconds when its too late.

Also in regards to that video, Illios hanzo? Console Hanzo? Ok. (Not to defend that guy's behavior either but still his original assessment is probably shared by most of us)

True but I wouldn't threaten to throw the game lol.

DeviantBoi

Question... how do you get the different frames around your character in the selection screen.

I thought it had something to do with ranked, but I've seen people level 24 and below with a star or two on their frame.

Antiwhippy

Question... how do you get the different frames around your character in the selection screen.

I thought it had something to do with ranked, but I've seen people level 24 and below with a star or two on their frame.

The star means they've prestige.

Every 100 levels is 1 star.

Anne

Was streaming and had it pointed it out to me how I use Zarya bubble was different than other solo queue ones. More people should hold that CD for way longer than they do ;~; I'm not even that good at using it.

Skii

Was streaming and had it pointed it out to me how I use Zarya bubble was different than other solo queue ones. More people should hold that CD for way longer than they do ;~; I'm not even that good at using it.

Like you save it for Roadhog hooks/saving people? That's what I do. My average charge isnt great but I'd much rather a fight didn't turn into 5v6 because I had to use my bubble to get an extra 20-30 charge.

LiK

Hanzo is good tbh. I carry with him if im feeling confident.

Lol at people thinking Sombra should be support. Watch codey.

doesn't matter if you're the best Hanzo in the world, people will still get triggered if you choose him anyway.

also, Sombra is better Support than Symm. Those hacked health packs are the best.

Anne

Like you save it for Roadhog hooks/saving people? That's what I do. My average charge isnt great but I'd much rather a fight didn't turn into 5v6 because I had to use my bubble to get an extra 20-30 charge.

Yeah. A lot of Zaryas just throw out E looking for charge they can't even use at that time. If you save E for when a fight or dangerous situation happens you get to save people, get charge, and use that charge right away.

ISOM

doesn't matter if you're the best Hanzo in the world, people will still get triggered if you choose him anyway.

also, Sombra is better Support than Symm. Those hacked health packs are the best.

Ha. You're not lying. Someone the other day said that I was throwing the match as soon as I picked Hanzo and they decided that they were going to throw the match by going Bastion. Reluctantly I switched from Hanzo to Zarya but they still went Bastion and you can imagine how it went. Some people are just easily triggered by heroes they have prejudiced opinions about. It's really annoying.

Jellie

Isn't that how you are meant to use it? Use your own shield to get charge and e to save others.
The option to wall ride backwards makes a huge difference.

In what way?
Could wall ride backwards manually before but don't really see the point too much. Maybe to aim when getting away?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
God, I hate being on Pharah duty as Soldier. It's just such a crapshoot where she can kill you/force a retreat almost as well as you can.

And any decent Pharah will be gunning for you as soon as she knows you're shooting at her.

Should I be using 3-round bursts after a certain range? That bullet spread really blows past a certain distance.

I think I've gotten better at tracking and flanking since picking up Soldier though. Definitely way better at tracking than I am at landing single strong shots like with a sniper. Maybe I can try Tracer if someone's picked Soldier sometime.

LiK

God, I hate being on Pharah duty as Soldier. It's just such a crapshoot where she can kill you/force a retreat almost as well as you can.

And any decent Pharah will be gunning for you as soon as she knows you're shooting at her.

Should I be using 3-round bursts after a certain range? That bullet spread really blows past a certain distance.

I think I've gotten better at tracking and flanking since picking up Soldier though. Definitely way better at tracking than I am at landing single strong shots like with a sniper. Maybe I can try Tracer if someone's picked Soldier sometime.

It's not too bad. I notice that people usually switch out of Pharah after they die 2-3 times from dying to my Soldier. Basically do the bursts and try to get the rockets in.

Rizzi

Isn't that how you are meant to use it? Use your own shield to get charge and e to save others.

In what way?
Could wall ride backwards manually before but don't really see the point too much. Maybe to aim when getting away?

so how does this work. heard there's a toggle in options?

Feels easier to get around.

Side note, I figured out what bugs me about D.VA. Rather than nerfing her hp/armour, they should have looked at her shield that eats every projectile in the game.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's not too bad. I notice that people usually switch out of Pharah after they die 2-3 times from dying to my Soldier. Basically do the bursts and try to get the rockets in.
I do really need to get better at landing those rockets. I usually miss with them and it blows, because landing a rocket usually leads to a kill on non-tanks.

LiK

I do really need to get better at landing those rockets. I usually miss with them and it blows, because landing a rocket usually leads to a kill on non-tanks.

Usually try to get the rockets in with the inital burst cuz once you start shooting, they're gonna try to get away. i still miss as well. sometimes it's just luck cuz good Pharahs are really annoying to target.

opricnik

Banned

Simply no. Teleport alone makes games get losed/win. Not to mention turrets,shield .

Paltheos

I like Mei on maps with single chokes grounded heroes need to pass through to proceed or where the alternative is a long, easily visible alternative. I pick her exclusively on defense on Hanamura A & B, Eichenwalde point 1, and Dorado point 1. Sometimes Anubis B in a pinch because she's strong there too, just not as obscene as the others. I could probably branch out to other maps, but we usually need other heroes more on those maps and those roles usually don't get filled unless I take the initiative at the start.

Edit:

Today's lesson:

Never stay as a team if it exceeds 2-3 people.

It can work, if you're careful about assigning roles. I played in a 4-stack recently with guys who were mostly my rank (mid plat) and one way below (low gold). Gold player mostly stuck to support, we carried.

We already have a hero who does that though. His name is Hanzo. He even has a wallhack ability to help netting the kills by it.

Cappa

Banned
Simply no. Teleport alone makes games get losed/win. Not to mention turrets,shield .

Teleports? Id say more so the shield generator.

You dont need a flanking DPS to take care of the teleporter... make a pick or two, rush to the point, kill the rest of the team and then play "defense" and just pick off the stragglers as they come through the teleporter.

The mistakes people make is, instead of staying on point and defending, either NO ONE is capturing the point or not enough. So you have 2 people near the teleporter, and then they die because they get out matched, then you die because their whole team is back etc.

Id rather a Symm put up a teleporter than a shield generator.. but thats just my opinion

Antiwhippy

It can work, if you're careful about assigning roles. I played in a 4-stack recently with guys who were mostly my rank (mid plat) and one way below (low gold). Gold player mostly stuck to support, we carried.

I meant with the stay as team option.

So you turn into 4 random guys facing off against organised 5 stacks.

edit: Bought 11 lootboxes and the only gold I got is roadhog's.

Just give me pretty boy zen already. ;_;

AbaFadi

Banned
Played S1 and stopped at 70, didn't play S2 period, placements go 7-3 in all Diamond games for S3 and get 3662SR. Cool I guess. The people I queued with for placements were plat apparently. S1 definitely counted towards that.

That's interesting. I always wondered if they looked at season 1 as well. I feel like a problem with placements this season is doing placements with a group and having everyone placed in ranks where they can't play together anymore.

When I play Zarya, I like to use my first bubble on Reinhardt or someone I know will give me charge fast, but afterwards I'll only use my personal shield for charge and the other to save teammates from damage. High charge Zarya can really help win team fights and get your game-changing ult so much faster.

AngryMoth

It's definitely a stressful situation for me (as someone who plays on console at least). Having to constantly keep my eye on the sky really hurts my effectiveness at helping the team plus leaves me exposed to getting picked off by another enemy, and if she gets the jump on me and l lands her first rocket I'm usually done for. Then there is no one else on the team who can deal with her while I'm respawing and the team gets pissed off with me for not taking care of her...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom