• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbaFadi

Banned
About elo hell and solo queue, there is a skill in figuring out what you have to be doing to make your team of randos come together. Yes, sometimes you are going to lose to bad luck, but that can't be every time. If you can win 1v1s consistently, you're already ahead most of the time. If you have a large hero pool and can fill in roles needed, you're going to be ahead. If you can recognize where your team is failing and cover that up, you're ahead again.

From there it's just hitting like a 60% or so winrate. It's pretty easily doable but requires a good set of mechanics and understanding of the game. The amount you have to do to excel in an environment like that is why higher elo players tend to really like solo queue and weigh it more heavily than other types of matchmaking.

Yeah, you can be the deciding factor in your games. You won't win every game obviously, but instead of instantly blaming bad teammates you could look at what you could be doing better instead. Maybe you get the bad widow or hanzo on your team sometimes, the other team will get them as well.

A lot of my friends who switched over from ps4 to pc all placed around platinum/ low diamond and are currently mid-masters to grandmaster. These are people who are just picking up M&K for the first time. It just goes to show you that you can win a lot of your games by just having a good understanding of the game and what to do in different scenarios.

I don't have the patience to get better with genji. It just feels like console controller and lower sensitivity holds me back. Feels clunky trying to get in and out of battles alive.

Much respect to people who are good with him on console.

The McCree icon should just be permanently greyed out for me, I shouldn't be allowed to play him, even in QP.
Yep. I love playing him, but my winrate is dreadful.

Every other hero I like, my QP/Comp winrate hovers around 50 or above (way above in some cases, like Zarya).

Don't let me play McCree.

Roxkis_ii

I haven't played a lot of McCree, but it seems like his roll shouldn't have an 8 sec cool down. I think that's the highest cool down of any heros mobility move i the game.

TheOddOne

Protip: Don't get tilted.
But what about the Soldier who is just running around looking at stuff and avoiding stopping the Payload.

Or the attack Symmetra, who dies multiple times, who won't switch.

Or people who think they are Bastion mains but keep dying to Tracer, Symmetra or Mercy. Switch? Nah.

You're definitely not wrong about that. It's no different than League, DOTA, CS, etc.

I will average a much higher W/L ratio when paired up versus solo. It comes down to odds then. As long as you are not on the issue, the chance of your team getting a bad player then is one less than the other. If you come in there with 2 or 3 or 4 players, then it's drastically lower, since you know the skill level of everyone. The odds will be way lower then.

It's why Ranked should either be full team or solo.

But at the same time, the question is this too, if someone can only get high ranked because of a friend. It doesn't mean they are good either. It just means they can be carried. While if you just focus on improving with solo play, you'll be the one hopefully adjusting your gameplay to be the carrier and not the carried. You'll typically improve a lot more this way, since it will show your weaknesses and areas to improve upon. Once you're solid, then it's better to get into a team to compliment each other.
yeah dynamic queue is the reason why i quit ranked last season for league. can't imagine it being much different here.

But what about the Soldier who is just running around looking at stuff and avoiding stopping the Payload.

Or the attack Symmetra, who dies multiple times, who won't switch.

Or people who think they are Bastion mains but keep dying to Tracer, Symmetra or Mercy. Switch? Nah.

Tilt play only ruins your play. It's not going to make those other shitbags suddenly get brains.

And when you start playing like trash because you're pissed off and overextending trying to make a big play happen and dying, you're no better than the attack Symm.

It's the paradox of tilted self-righteousness.

exYle

I haven't played a lot of McCree, but it seems like his roll shouldn't have an 8 sec cool down. I think that's the highest cool down of any heros mobility move i the game.

The cooldown is only that long because it reloads his gun, too. I always felt that, if they could separate the cooldowns somehow, his roll and his reloading roll would be two different abilities attached to the same button. Like, he can roll every 2 seconds, but it only reloads his gun every 8 seconds.

Chance

I started playing roughly at the start of this season and guys.. I think I need help. Apart from just practice and playing, is there anything you guys suggest to watch or do that can help out for improving? I spent like an hour yesterday watching a youtube video about positioning with Ana for example. I haven't played FPS in ages but this is fun (when I don't want to kill mouthy children lol). I'm way down in Bronze which tbh is probably where I belong but I wouldn't mind getting better!

epLikKf.jpg

I need help...

#1 try every class. You'll develop much better situational awareness, and a better understanding of when this Zarya has become far more dangerous or that Tracer has become very vulnerable - you might discover a new main!

#2 to that end, play Mystery Heroes and just have fun!

#3 adjust your sensitivity until you feel like you can aim quickly and accurately. Practice on the moving bots in the training ground.

#4 if you're on console, move the jump button on every character to a shoulder button.

#5 I would suggest you continue favoring supports until you feel more confident at the game as a whole. Supports aren't always just shooting their gun at the nearest enemy as they heal - instead, they weild their entire team as a weapon against another entire team, buffing this ally, debuffing that foe and tipping the balance strategically. This will further your situational awareness and gamesense.

#6 try Mercy. You don't have to aim and her survivability is actually pretty good, if you make sure you're always moving and Guardian Angeling around.

#7 don't take it too seriously and have a good time!

Thewonandonly

Ha. You're not lying. Someone the other day said that I was throwing the match as soon as I picked Hanzo and they decided that they were going to throw the match by going Bastion. Reluctantly I switched from Hanzo to Zarya but they still went Bastion and you can imagine how it went. Some people are just easily triggered by heroes they have prejudiced opinions about. It's really annoying.

Right it sucks haha.

I can sometimes really go off as hanzo because all I use is bows in games that have them. So I got 17000 damage in one defense round on anubis. Yet when we lost because my other team sucked I still got hate mail. Like damn sorry I couldn't go off more and pick up any more slack.

Nimby

Banned
Blizzard (Jeff Kaplan) responds to concerns over M/KB on console: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753235853?page=3#post-58

The Overwatch team objects to the use of mouse and keyboard on console.

We have contacted both first-party console manufacturers and expressed our concern about the use of mouse and keyboard and input conversion devices.

We have lobbied and will continue to lobby for first-party console manufacturers to either:

Disallow mouse and keyboard and input conversion devices

OR

Openly and easily support mouse and keyboard for ALL players

I encourage you to reach out to the hardware manufacturers and express your concerns (but please do so in a productive and respectful way).

Kremzeek

McCree is still pretty fun. Altho I hate how slow he moves.

i don't think it's fair that McCree needs to be really accurate to hit with his shots, but Hanjo can just shoot in the general direction of someone and still get a hit.

i've seen some kill cams with Hanjo when he headshots me but the replay shows him shooting like 6 feet from my head :(

edit: and i was moving AWAY from where he was aiming, not toward it.

TheOddOne

Tilt play only ruins your play. It's not going to make those other shitbags suddenly get brains.

And when you start playing like trash because you're pissed off and overextending trying to make a big play happen and dying, you're no better than the attack Symm.

It's the paradox of tilted self-righteousness.
You’re assuming that I’m playing trash because I’m tilted during the match. Which isn’t the case, I always try my best, even with the circumstances. Getting mad at them isn't helpful. Sometimes unusual comps work, there is no harm is letting people try it. But hell, anybody can notice why it didn’t work after the match. That’s the moment I get tilted, when you know that we could have won that but got overwhelmed by the constant 5v6 battles. That isn’t self-righteousness, that is just being critical at what just happened. It didn’t work and it was detrimental to the team.

Thewonandonly

The McCree icon should just be permanently greyed out for me, I shouldn't be allowed to play him, even in QP.

Yep sadly him and genji are the only characters that I am truley ass with. I can play everyone else at least good with and around my rank I would hope. But man I just become a idiot when it comes to genji and with mcree well fuck me I guess I cant aim worth shit avereging around 5000 damage a game. Sucks tho becuase those characters seem so fun.

MG310

Not sure what has happened with the second half of this season. I'm doing better in solo queue than when I'm in a group for the most part.

My skill rating is more volatile but it's between 1850 and 2030 rather than beginning and ending every session in the low to mid 1800's.

Has there been talk of resetting everyone's ranks at the beginning of season 4? I never understood that. What you do in season 2 should really have no bearing on where you start season 3. If that were the case, what's even the point of seasons?

antitrop

Has there been talk of resetting everyone's ranks at the beginning of season 4? I never understood that. What you do in season 2 should really have no bearing on where you start season 3. If that were the case, what's even the point of seasons?

Seasons in StarCraft II made sense, because they usually came with a new pool of maps, but in Overwatch, I have no idea why they do seasons.

I used to think that but I've been forcing myself to play as him (to the detriment of anybody I've grouped up with) and I'm starting to get picks more reliably.

My favorite pick was when I head shot a Mercy who was trying to Guardian Angel away from me. Felt good to get that one.

I love good Torbs. I always want to cheer them on because he gets so much shit as a character.

DevilDog

Jesus christ, Top 500 Mccrees never miss. It's literally impossible to play gengu.

I also remembered how much i hate mccree's stun. Can't wait for it to return :/

Skii

Just played 2 games in comp which basically epitomised my solo queue experience.

First game, we lose the first point on Hollywood very quickly and then the double stack start getting toxic in team chat and voice chat about our Symmetra and Torb throwing. One of them picks Pharah to counter their Pharah (???) whilst the other is a Mercy who doesn't res for the entire round. Obviously next round whole team is tilted, we only have our zen solo healing and the double stack are just telling the other team to report everyone for trolling lmao. I end up with gold everything except healing as Zarya but I just couldn't carry 3 people who wanted to throw.

Next game we manage to capture the first point on Eichenwalde after we use our ults. Really good communications on chat and then someone on their team leaves because they can't accept the fact they couldn't full hold first point... Then the rest of their team leaves but one who we spawn camp on their attack phase. But we all agree to let them get POTG which was funny.

I gained SR but man this just isn't fun. I know it's just bad luck but whenever I solo queue, there is always trolling or leavers. I just want close games. I dont care if I lose but I want both teams to at least try.

Just played 2 games in comp which basically epitomised my solo queue experience.

First game, we lose the first point on Hollywood very quickly and then the double stack start getting toxic in team chat and voice chat about our Symmetra and Torb throwing. One of them picks Pharah to counter their Pharah (???) whilst the other is a Mercy who doesn't res for the entire round. Obviously next round whole team is tilted, we only have our zen solo healing and the double stack are just telling the other team to report everyone for trolling lmao. I end up with gold everything except healing as Zarya but I just couldn't carry 3 people who wanted to throw.

Next game we manage to capture the first point on Eichenwalde after we use our ults. Really good communications on chat and then someone on their team leaves because they can't accept the fact they couldn't full hold first point... Then the rest of their team leaves but one who we spawn camp on their attack phase. But we all agree to let them get POTG which was funny.

I gained SR but man this just isn't fun. I know it's just bad luck but whenever I solo queue, there is always trolling or leavers. I just want close games. I dont care if I lose but I want both teams to at least try.
On the other hand, whenever I find a group that works well together, if we group together we queue against another team that has a lot more cohesion than we do, and we get slaughtered. I wish there were matchmaking demarcations for premades vs. randoms joining together.

I think the happy medium is to find one friend to play with so you can get the +20% group experience without getting bowled over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom