• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Had a 2 match deficit today (went 4-6) but I only lost 1 SR at the end of the session.

I'll take it.

Though really, I seem to be gaining a lot more SR than I'm losing nowadays.

And this is mainly playing support.

Anne

When I play Zarya, I like to use my first bubble on Reinhardt or someone I know will give me charge fast, but afterwards I'll only use my personal shield for charge and the other to save teammates from damage. High charge Zarya can really help win team fights and get your game-changing ult so much faster.

Yeah, this is mad important. The timing I tend to use is engage with E on whoever is going in hard, use shift to fight and charge, then hold E for an extended period until it's needed. The important part is making the judgement call on if you will have the engage or if you're going to get engaged on. If you get engaged on you basically do what I just said in reverse order most of the time.

By far the biggest mistake I see is thinking the engage is coming and then blowing E early. If Zarya has E up any engage with her in LOS is an issue, if you see her pop E that's 10s to get your engage going. I'll legit wait until a healer is halfway dead before I drop E because of this in solo queue. Bonus points fi they throw a CD into the shield trying to kill the healer I guess.

On a side note that's how CDs are supposed to work for heroes that have extremely powerful engagement options >_> ya know, long enough to react and work with >_>

Angel_DvA

Fucking ranked is the worst thing ever, almost passed Diamond but get stuck in plat because people are fucking clueless, hate this thing.

Roxkis_ii

Hey guys, I visit the official overwatch forums a lot and i just wanted to get your guys opinion on elo hell. Most high ranked players say it's an excuse. People suck in it say it's real.

I haven't experienced it personally, but i'm likely aren't playing overwatch as much as others.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's definitely a stressful situation for me (as someone who plays on console at least). Having to constantly keep my eye on the sky really hurts my effectiveness at helping the team plus leaves me exposed to getting picked off by another enemy, and if she gets the jump on me and l lands her first rocket I'm usually done for. Then there is no one else on the team who can deal with her while I'm respawing and the team gets pissed off with me for not taking care of her...
It is pretty rough. It's a lot easier if someone is helping to at least distract the Pharah so that she's not just 1v1ing me.

Having a DVa or Winston harassing her and denying her a safe landing area works wonders.

I do notice my kill rate drops dramatically when I'm dealing with Pharah too, because Soldier is so good at just pewpewing everyone in range.

Cappa

Banned
What makes you say that?

because if "youre stuck" in whatever tier you are whether it be silver, gold, plat, diamond etc its probably because you really arent better than where you are ranked.

When I first started playing Overwatch and played comp for the first time in Season 2, I got ranked very low plat, I dropped down to very low gold near silver. I solo Qd my way out of Gold, out of plat, and into diamond. I came within 200 SR this season of hitting master, majority Solo Q.

I dont think "elo hell" exists, its just that people think they are better than they really are and always feel they should be ranked higher.

Feels good.

yHj52n2.jpg

QP, but surprisingly it was actually a pretty good match, almost 9m long. After being completely destroyed when playing as Zen against good Tracers in KOTH I decided to start playing as Ana much more regularly, and it has been incredibly fun lately. The combo sleepdart->shot->grenade->shot is amazing.

scotcheggz

I started playing roughly at the start of this season and guys.. I think I need help. Apart from just practice and playing, is there anything you guys suggest to watch or do that can help out for improving? I spent like an hour yesterday watching a youtube video about positioning with Ana for example. I haven't played FPS in ages but this is fun (when I don't want to kill mouthy children lol). I'm way down in Bronze which tbh is probably where I belong but I wouldn't mind getting better!

epLikKf.jpg

I need help...

LiK

QP is better now than it used to be. I think a lot of people have quit Comp for S3. Guess the gold weapons are no longer novel. Plenty of people in my list aren't even ranked in Comp this season. Most of them are just in QP or Arcade. So of course, QP has people who actually wanna win and not dick around as much.

I started playing roughly at the start of this season and guys.. I think I need help. Apart from just practice and playing, is there anything you guys suggest to watch or do that can help out for improving? I spent like an hour yesterday watching a youtube video about positioning with Ana for example. I haven't played FPS in ages but this is fun (when I don't want to kill mouthy children lol). I'm way down in Bronze which tbh is probably where I belong but I wouldn't mind getting better!

epLikKf.jpg

I need help...

dont play stuff ur not good at lol

Anne

What makes you say that?

The fact I can level an account from plat to almost GM in under a week with minimal effort :p

It's possible to get a bit stuck if you're not good enough to carry a bit, but if elo hell were actually real then I'd just be stuck in plat with my shitty teammates holding me back right? I guess this is a not-so-stealth brag but I honestly don't think I'm all that nice at the game and anybody can do it with time/effort/practice.

LiK

epLikKf.jpg

I need help...

Maybe stop looking at your stats and just have fun. Play heroes you enjoy and try your best. And if you're not that good at FPS, why are you playing Comp? Just play QP to practice.

ill give the same advice that i gave to silver lolgaf a while back; play to get better not to climb. otherwise youll just be in this endless cycle of rage and despair at ranked.

Anne

While I'm here, I just saw captainplanet dude's tier thing. I still think the way he does tiering is pretty shit. Usage rates are good to know, but the way he constructs his tiers is really misleading. There are very good heroes with low ass usage rates in pro matches for the most benign reasons. People just see "oh that hero is F tier" and don't pick them ever :<

maomaoIYP

Hate mail as in your Zen is too good or why the fuck are you playing Zen type?

Hate mail from a team mate. Basically "fuck you why didn't you save me from the Reinhardt ult stop playing support". I was the only healer on my team, it was defense on Anubis. We were getting rolled over because we didn't have a tank either. End of game screen I was the only one on our team with a card. It was for transcendence healing. I took a screenshot and sent it to him with the message "orly? wtf were you doing then?". Shut him up real quick.

ElyrionX

because if "youre stuck" in whatever tier you are whether it be silver, gold, plat, diamond etc its probably because you really arent better than where you are ranked.

When I first started playing Overwatch and played comp for the first time in Season 2, I got ranked very low plat, I dropped down to very low gold near silver. I solo Qd my way out of Gold, out of plat, and into diamond. I came within 200 SR this season of hitting master, majority Solo Q.

I dont think "elo hell" exists, its just that people think they are better than they really are and always feel they should be ranked higher.

This is the exact same reason why 80% of people think they are "above-average" drivers.

God, I hate being on Pharah duty as Soldier. It's just such a crapshoot where she can kill you/force a retreat almost as well as you can.

And any decent Pharah will be gunning for you as soon as she knows you're shooting at her.

Should I be using 3-round bursts after a certain range? That bullet spread really blows past a certain distance.

I think I've gotten better at tracking and flanking since picking up Soldier though. Definitely way better at tracking than I am at landing single strong shots like with a sniper. Maybe I can try Tracer if someone's picked Soldier sometime.

I've gotten better at taking out Pharahs as Soldier, although it's also partly because I've been trying to practice with McCree in QP and I've gotten a little better at landing head shots on her as she's floating around.

I just hate having to be on Pharah duty because it leaves me exposed. I was doing a comp game last night and I started getting tilted because the enemy Pharah was wrecking our team, but every time I tried to focus her down a Tracer/Genji started harassing me and I couldn't get her. I find that's my biggest problem with Pharah duty - any flankers know to immediately go for Soldier to give Pharah room to breathe. And if you don't have the time to take her down, she can rain death on you and then go back to harassing the rest of the team.

LiK

Basically just learn to be proficient with 2-3 heroes and be good with others so you're flexible and can switch to counter. Once you're comfortable with the heroes, it makes the game more pleasant.

Roxkis_ii

I think it takes a lot more to rank up as a solo player than a person who has a stack.
A solo player has to have to ability to carry in bad situations to win consistently, which (correct me if i'm wrong) requires you to play on a level 2x higher than your peers to dominate the enemy team. I think it maybe people stuck in that skill gap that feel like they're in elo hell. They may play on good team and do well, but when they get on bad teams, they aren't able to make up the for the team's weakness which leads to frustration and salt.

That's just conjecture on my end, as I play in a stack, so we as a stack can make up our team's weakness better than someone playing solo.

This is my first team game, so all these concepts are interesting to me.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It's definitely a stressful situation for me (as someone who plays on console at least). Having to constantly keep my eye on the sky really hurts my effectiveness at helping the team plus leaves me exposed to getting picked off by another enemy, and if she gets the jump on me and l lands her first rocket I'm usually done for. Then there is no one else on the team who can deal with her while I'm respawing and the team gets pissed off with me for not taking care of her...

Got in a similar situation, got blamed when I also had to watch out for a Genji from behind the entire time. I can't watch 2 directions. >_>

Funny how useless our Genji was though. Their's would get 2 or 3 kills before dying... ours couldn't even finish off the Mercy.

I guess what has been working for me at times like that is just taking continual pot shots at them from range. Even if I cant kill her. Forcing her down and to run and find heals will buy some time. While hopefully then being able to work in some damage on the payload crew.

DevilDog

QP is better now than it used to be. I think a lot of people have quit Comp for S3. Guess the gold weapons are no longer novel. Plenty of people in my list aren't even ranked in Comp this season. Most of them are just in QP or Arcade. So of course, QP has people who actually wanna win and not dick around as much.

Absolutely. Fuck comp. QP right now offers a good balance between seriousness and siliness. Which is exactly the nature of Overwatch imo.

pizzacat

Banned
The fact I can level an account from plat to almost GM in under a week with minimal effort :p

It's possible to get a bit stuck if you're not good enough to carry a bit, but if elo hell were actually real then I'd just be stuck in plat with my shitty teammates holding me back right? I guess this is a not-so-stealth brag but I honestly don't think I'm all that nice at the game and anybody can do it with time/effort/practice.
What tf do I gotta do to carry with soldier

I get golds but it's still not enough

Win rate with him like in the 30s

scotcheggz

ill give the same advice that i gave to silver lolgaf a while back; play to get better not to climb. otherwise youll just be in this endless cycle of rage and despair at ranked.

Yeah totally, I'm not too fussed on climbing. This season is about getting back into the FPS groove I guess. I haven't played any FPS since gosh, maybe the killzone beta on ps3?! PC would've been fuck I don't even know, an old quake or maybe UT?

Tbh the only good thing about climbing is the chance to get more structured teams with better comms and teamwork but from what I read here, it's all just a myth lol. I obviously want to improve for my own sake anyway though, playing is fun win or lose but I want to play well.

ElyrionX

Ever since I prestiged and got my first star, I find that I am seeing far less people with no prestige. I used to play against and get teamed with people in the single digit or low double digit levels but not anymore. This is QP, BTW.

LiK

Absolutely. Fuck comp. QP right now offers a good balance between seriousness and siliness. Which is exactly the nature of Overwatch imo.

Yea, it's a nice mix now. And if you end up against a 6-stack in QP, it's just as grueling as anything in Comp.

Yeah totally, I'm not too fussed on climbing. This season is about getting back into the FPS groove I guess. I haven't played any FPS since gosh, maybe the killzone beta on ps3?! PC would've been fuck I don't even know, an old quake or maybe UT?

Tbh the only good thing about climbing is the chance to get more structured teams with better comms and teamwork but from what I read here, it's all just a myth lol. I obviously want to improve for my own sake anyway though, playing is fun win or lose but I want to play well.

Try playing with a group in QP. Find some Gaffers here to join up with. It's good times.

http://i.imgur.com/epLikKf.jpg[img]

I need help...[/QUOTE]

Practice range first and then custom games with you+AI vs AI is a good way to learn characters or making adjustments to your settings. At least it's what I always do, even having hundreds of hours already played.

Comp is too risky and QP a mess most of the times, so I think it's the best option.

Anne

Gold medals don't mean anything, they just mean you're the least shitty player on your team at dealing damage. Be good enough to win 90% of the 1v1s you come across, deal enough damage to clean out entire fights, and also keep your death count really low.

Also know when to pick Soldier to get a carry going and when to pick a tank or some shit because your team wiping has nothing to do with damage output.

Roxkis_ii

epLikKf.jpg

I need help...

I also started playing at the start of this season. One thing i've learned is not to underestimate the value of quickplay. QP matchmaking also tries to match you with people of in your skill range. So the better you become, the harder the people you will face.

I play so much QP, that i face off against players that are higher skill than those I face in my current rank, so now when I go in competitive, I have that experience of higher skill play.

Another tip, is to pay attention to how others play. I'm not sure if this will apply much for supports, but i've learned to much from fighting other Reinhardts. The mind games crazy. I also play a lot of torb, so always pay attention for new ideas on torrent placements.

ANother tip, if you're not having fun, take a break. I find i play of lot better if i'm not trying to force things.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I think it takes a lot more to rank up as a solo player than a person who has a stack.
A solo player has to have to ability to carry in bad situations to win consistently, which (correct me if i'm wrong) requires you to play on a level 2x higher than your peers to dominate the enemy team. I think it maybe people stuck in that skill gap that feel like they're in elo hell. They may play on good team and do well, but when they get on bad teams, they aren't able to make up the for the team's weakness which leads to frustration and salt.

That's just conjecture on my end, as I play in a stack, so we as a stack can make up our team's weakness better than someone playing solo.

This is my first team game, so all these concepts are interesting to me.

You're definitely not wrong about that. It's no different than League, DOTA, CS, etc.

I will average a much higher W/L ratio when paired up versus solo. It comes down to odds then. As long as you are not on the issue, the chance of your team getting a bad player then is one less than the other. If you come in there with 2 or 3 or 4 players, then it's drastically lower, since you know the skill level of everyone. The odds will be way lower then.

It's why Ranked should either be full team or solo.

But at the same time, the question is this too, if someone can only get high ranked because of a friend. It doesn't mean they are good either. It just means they can be carried. While if you just focus on improving with solo play, you'll be the one hopefully adjusting your gameplay to be the carrier and not the carried. You'll typically improve a lot more this way, since it will show your weaknesses and areas to improve upon. Once you're solid, then it's better to get into a team to compliment each other.

pizzacat

Banned
Gold medals don't mean anything, they just mean you're the least shitty player on your team at dealing damage. Be good enough to win 90% of the 1v1s you come across, deal enough damage to clean out entire fights, and also keep your death count really low.

Also know when to pick Soldier to get a carry going and when to pick a tank or some shit because your team wiping has nothing to do with damage output.

ahhh i seem to die a lot I gotta keep these things in mind

LiK

The only hero who can technically carry is Zarya, imo. Boy do I hate a good Zarya on the enemy team who bubbles guys I'm trying to kill.

Anne

About elo hell and solo queue, there is a skill in figuring out what you have to be doing to make your team of randos come together. Yes, sometimes you are going to lose to bad luck, but that can't be every time. If you can win 1v1s consistently, you're already ahead most of the time. If you have a large hero pool and can fill in roles needed, you're going to be ahead. If you can recognize where your team is failing and cover that up, you're ahead again.

From there it's just hitting like a 60% or so winrate. It's pretty easily doable but requires a good set of mechanics and understanding of the game. The amount you have to do to excel in an environment like that is why higher elo players tend to really like solo queue and weigh it more heavily than other types of matchmaking.

JHall

Shooting a Rein shield the entire game, then saying "but I have gold damage!" isn't helping your team. You should be focusing healers, especially Ana.

pizzacat

Banned
I just feel like I can't tank anymore if I have to rely on the healing of my teammates

the rolls I do get its from the ana going in on healing

Roxkis_ii

About elo hell and solo queue, there is a skill in figuring out what you have to be doing to make your team of randos come together. Yes, sometimes you are going to lose to bad luck, but that can't be every time. If you can win 1v1s consistently, you're already ahead most of the time. If you have a large hero pool and can fill in roles needed, you're going to be ahead. If you can recognize where your team is failing and cover that up, you're ahead again.

From there it's just hitting like a 60% or so winrate. It's pretty easily doable but requires a good set of mechanics and understanding of the game. The amount you have to do to excel in an environment like that is why higher elo players tend to really like solo queue and weigh it more heavily than other types of matchmaking.

I can definitely agree here, I do find myself in games that are snowballing in the enemy's favor, wondering what's going wrong. Being able to make that determination is an invaluable skill I may not be sharpening by not playing solo.

I don't think i'm being carried by my friends as we all pretty much started playing overwatch around the same time, but i do feel like it's skills and experiences I maybe missing out on from not playing solo queue. It's just don't know if my body could handle the salt that comes with learning those lessons lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom