• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is up with people rushing the opposite spawn in KOTH when the point is cleared? The other team kinda, sorta has a huge healing advantage on that side of the map, the fucking spawn room! Teammates overextending to the other side of the map has lost me more KOTH games than anything else!

I am floored that only one character out of 22 still has dedicated tutorial.

And he's one of simplest characters to play.
Yup. They have an actual tutorial for the character that anyone who has touched a shooter even once in their entire lives would understand. But nothing for the characters with even the barest amount of extra nuance. Ugh.

antitrop

What is up with people rushing the opposite spawn in KOTH when the point is cleared? The other team kinda, sorta has a huge healing advantage on that side of the map, the fucking spawn room! Teammates overextending to the other side of the map has lost me more KOTH games than anything else!
Ya, spawn camping is probably the easiest way to unintentionally throw games. Sometimes, if you have a lot of momentum, it can make sense to push it a little bit and try to get a stagger pick or two, but sticking around for anything more than a few seconds is just pretty much throwing.

Another map I notice where people don't know when to give up spawn camping is defending on Gibraltar. People love to just sit up on the high ground while the cart moves effortlessly through the tunnel around them. Things were different when there used to be a checkpoint in that tunnel, but that was a loooooooooong time ago.

Quick play is for people who want to play nonmeta picks. I love playing as Sombra but I'm sure as fuck not picking her in comp. The only other option is arcade and besides the random heroes (which you have a 1 in 23 chance to get who you want) people still rage.

Blizzard needs to delete the unlimited picks mode in arcade (its all but dead), put a 2 character limit on QP, and add a mode where you can play with the comp ruleset but not lose points if you lose.

Even quickplay is kinda limited in terms of practicing raw deathmatching ability. They just need to have skirmish be its own queue. Or copy the Soap DM and MGE mods people made for TF2. I learned to snipe scouts and other weird targets with dedicated one one one practice in those modes.

Anne

Seagull AMA happened

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/5s2om5/im_seagull_of_the_nrg_overwatch_team_ama/

mk8GoCA.png

Xzan

that's where i'm at too. competitive is less stressful just because all the widow/hanzo 'gotta practice bro' are in QP. There's a minimum of a mix of 3 in every game. Usually 2 on one team and one on the other.

THIS guy was annoying last night on PS4 QP. Played about 7-8 matches with them and against them.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/psn/Vonne--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6ZeMHLO-UM

Clearly a smurf but I can't be sure whether he was using mouse + kb. Match after match they kept getting critical hit cards at the end of every round but didn't seem to have the crazy tracking you see with Soldier's using M+KB.

Not that I wasn't annoying about sticking with a single hero myself; I spent 25 of the 28 QP matches I played last night on Tracer who I'm trying to bring up to a standard good enough to flex to in comp (plus she's fun as hell).

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Played like three hours tonight with a buddy - lost a solid 95% of our games in QP.

Call me an asshole all you want, but ANYTIME you offer any semblance of coaching, you get yelled at: "It's fucking QP, bro... chill out... why you mad?" Or, "Dude, I'm practicing."

That's fine and dandy - but you should still try to win. TRY. If your Hanzo hasn't gotten more than 3 kills in the first five minutes of a match... maybe flip?

Hey, healer.... don't switch to Winston a minute into the game. I mean, I have 150+ hours in the game at level 170 in QP... it's hard to be THAT bad at any character.

I mean, it's just insane. I played 20+ games tonight. NOT A SINGLE ONE was without a Hanzo on my team. Come on.

I played healer in 3/4ths of the game... cause if I don't, nobody else will.

Oh - and another thing: WHEN IT'S OVERTIME, STAND ON THE FUCKING POINT. That goes to you, Torb, and to you, Bastion, and to you, Widow. I've lost countless games when there's still 3+ of us alive - but nobody else even tries standing on the point. Would we probably lose anyway? Yes, of course. But if you don't stand on it... there's zero chance we win.

/rant

I'm mad. I need to cool off.

So... how about that sexy af Tracer Lunar skin?

cyborg009

Banned
They fill me with determination.

I haven't played Comp since that last game we played together, where we lost to Attack Bastion on Volskaya.

Please don't remind me lol. That game was just bad all around.

No they don't. If anything they make me more prideful lol, because I know if the chimpanzees on Pharah, 76, Junk or Hanzo would get off their characters, I could have gotten rid of the Bastion and forced a change two rounds ago :p

Sometimes you gotta go genji and handle it your self.

BasicMath

Current modes are whatever. Those aren't what need work. What the game desperately needs is a teaching aid.

I get that people think QP is for learning heroes. And it's certainly something that I've used it for. I feel like people fail to get that if we're getting rofl-stomped, you're not going to learn much about the hero and you probably need to switch to a hero you can play for a bit.
The thing about Hanzo/Widow players is that they need to practice their accuracy to get good and they can practice that ANYWHERE with live targets. Map, objective or point doesn't matter to them for the most part. So getting rolf-stomped isn't an issue for their practice. It does hurt everyone else practicing or not except maybe flanking offensive classes though.
People need to play against the AI more frequently. Maybe make a vs AI mode that gets you Exp or something.
Even quickplay is kinda limited in terms of practicing raw deathmatching ability. They just need to have skirmish be its own queue. Or copy the Soap DM and MGE mods people made for TF2. I learned to snipe scouts and other weird targets with dedicated one one one practice in those modes.
I like the idea of a Skirmish mode. Again, just give it exp so people don't feel like it's a complete waste of time. I mostly get 1-2 mins of the current skirmish system before I'm given the boot for an actual game. I feel that it would help bring down the amount of Genji trash out there.

Xux

I like that the characters themselves thank you for armor packs; it makes me feel so good about myself.

Also, I always seem to do well with Torbjorn when I get him in Mystery Heroes. Mid-range semi-auto and a shotgun and a turret and armor and a Devil Trigger. Can there be a more perfect character?

Played a solo queue comp match last night on Nepal where only me and another solo were in voice chat. Asked the three stack to join voice chat, nothing. Lost first round, asked again to join chat just so that we could more easily coordinate. Three stack obliges and are all communicating to eachother in voice comms in Mandarin. Lost second round, asked the final solo queuer not in chat to enter if he could, responded in text "sorry no english". We then manage to reverse sweep win the game. NA MM 3AM is a trip.

Some pet peeves as a Zarya player: People who think Zarya's ult is useless unless used with other ults. Conversely, teams what blow all their ults the moment graviton hits.

So all this time I thought that I had turned auto aim assist off but then just barely found out that it was at 100 percent.

Turned it off. I REALLY suck now.

Also I tried Competitive again after so long. I forgot how much I hated it. All I want is ONE golden weapon...

Azoor

I think Mercy is best played on Payload maps where you're the one attacking. She is useful in maps like Route 66 and Dorado where there are lots of places to hide.

There's always some combination of Genji, Hanzo, Widowmaker. Every. Single. Game. Many times a combination of at least two of them, sometimes even all 3.

It never fails lol.

jviggy43

So played a match on route 66 as rein (i never play rein); game went to overtime and I ended with gold in elims at 22 (we lost), despite having 2 dps characters at all times and a guy who was top 500......how?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So played a match on route 66 as rein (i never play rein); game went to overtime and I ended with gold in elims at 22 (we lost), despite having 2 dps characters at all times and a guy who was top 500......how?

To play devils advocate, does your elims mean that you were going ham and not giving your dps enough space to work with?

I-hate-u

Antiwhippy, I have been testing your DPS Ana theory effect on SR and you're so right.

Normally I would get 20-25 SR per win without a streak, now, I am averaging gaining 30-40 and losing 15-25 SR points at most playing more aggressive, frequently nade-ing enemies, and getting a lot of darts in. Thanks for the tip, homey-G. I found my new main.

Azoor

Overwatch really needs another speed boosting hero, or at least a hero that decreases the speed of the enemy team with an ability or even an Ultimate.

Otherwise we will never see Lucio NOT being used.

I-hate-u

Overwatch really needs another speed boosting hero, or at least a hero that decreases the speed of the enemy team with an ability or even an Ultimate.

Otherwise we will never see Lucio NOT being used.

I think what they should do with Lucio is that they completely remove his healing, and make him solely a speed AoE character but up his dps.

Rizzi

Matchmaking in Overwatch remains the most inconsistently shitty thing.
Get in to a match that spends forever looking for one more player then quits when it can't find one, and then the next match you get in to a match where your team is missing a sixth player for the first two payloads and that's okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom