• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbaFadi

Banned
Nice. I'm going to start queuing comp more often. My friends are working m to get better but I can't just keep rolling QP with them so often that I don't get to play with comp of my elo :T

If we grouped up I'm pretty sure we could climb pretty high lol. I feel like you can only learn so much in qp. You can get hero mechanics down and work on your aim, but games are a lot different in comp where everyone runs a Reinhardt, Ana, etc., which you usually won't see consistently in qp.

Anne

If we grouped up I'm pretty sure we could climb pretty high lol. I feel like you can only learn so much in qp. You can get hero mechanics down and work on your aim, but games are a lot different in comp where everyone runs a Reinhardt, Ana, etc., which you usually won't see consistently in qp.

Well RN our current QP group is in this weird spot where we only have one dedicated DPS player, one tank player, and then everybody else is on support. Trying to switch people off support/tank and get everybody's mechanics up to speed is rough when we queue into teams of GMs in QP. The enemy team can run 6 DPS and we still will probably lose off of a mechanical misplay :T

A couple people have gotten pretty good at least, but the SR is just spread out atm. I have a pretty deep understanding of the difference between GM players and plat/diamond tier players thanks to this. I guess that's something.

This guy isnt playing this hero very well so im just going hanzo to fuck up our comp

"Im not throwing though"

Some people i swear

Yeah I never understand this.

We lost the first skirmish last night in a comp match and one guy went insane and said "OH YOU'RE ALL TROLLING THEN, DON'T FUCKING WASTE MY TIME", chose Widowmaker, and did 360 no scopes into a wall for the rest of the match.

I don't get it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Does Shadow Step still need to be as slow as it is?

I can't think of a clunkier feeling ability in the g ame currently.

Jellie

Yeah, I played Zenyatta today with you, I can play Ana (not to your level obv) and Reinhardt too.

And then you can play Tracer, Soldier, Reinhardt, Zarya, Lucio and Ana.

Actually, one of us has to get good with McCree. He's so important with more Tracers and Genjis flying around.

Haven't played Tracer in a while. Only really used her much on PS4 tbh.

McCree is a weird one for me. I'm really inconsistant with him. Wouldn't dare try him in comp but sometimes I do really well him but only in arcade I think so probably because nobody is trying. Like if I can get the flash off I can 90% of the time get the headshot too but I have problems getting the flash off to begin with. Only time I tried him in comp was because my team was begging for McCree because the opponant had a pharah and I ended up going on a 14 kill streak I think.

I can also zen but think Lucio or Ana is usually better to play except for in dive comp hence why you never see me Zen.
A couple people have gotten pretty good at least, but the SR is just spread out atm. I have a pretty deep understanding of the difference between GM players and plat/diamond tier players thanks to this. I guess that's something.

So whats the big difference between GM and plat/diamonds. Anything apart from the obvious mechanical skils, knowledge and communication? I think diamonds usually have 1 or 2 of the 3. Would help to get insight.

Jellie

Is weekend overwatch as bad as late night overwatch?

Had some matches with people who were drunk

Last weekend had a soldier who said he never saw a pharah after a round where pharah destroyed us.
Today had a soldier who was saying he had 50fps because he forgot to overclock but refused to switch to a tank when we had 1 tank because he had 3 golds. Had a mercy who solo rezzed before we got gravitoned in overtime.

Weekend is pretty bad.

AbaFadi

Banned
Well RN our current QP group is in this weird spot where we only have one dedicated DPS player, one tank player, and then everybody else is on support. Trying to switch people off support/tank and get everybody's mechanics up to speed is rough when we queue into teams of GMs in QP. The enemy team can run 6 DPS and we still will probably lose off of a mechanical misplay :T

You should definitely try to encourage them to get better through competitive. They would get to play with people around their skill level and not GMs lol. Those groups of GMs in qp are scary.

On ps4, I didn't really play ranked in season 1 and only played qp. I decided to jump in season 2 when it started and barely placed platinum at like 2520. I had hero mechanics down but no idea how to transition what I did in qp into competitive. As I learned how competitive play worked and learned through my mistakes, I eventually reached grandmaster by the end of the season. I would definitely recommend playing competitive over quick play. I feel like it's just the best way to learn, as both teams will be taking it more seriously than a qp game.

Is there anything to take away from the fact that I almost always dominate in quick play? Is it a sign that my MMR is off? I keep getting matched with players that seem to be below my skill level

jviggy43

To play devils advocate, does your elims mean that you were going ham and not giving your dps enough space to work with?

Na I was up on big earls holding that thing up the whole time on defense and then on offense I stuck to the payload. I wasn't so much as bragging as pointing out that after four rounds of overtime we had only gotten 22 elims max and despite this we went to over time haha. I just dont understand how haha

jviggy43

This guy isnt playing this hero very well so im just going hanzo to fuck up our comp

"Im not throwing though"

Some people i swear

I would personally never do this, but if someone is playing a character that just isn't doing the trick, I can see where the frustration would come from in switching to Hnazo or something.

People are far too stubborn to switch off of their favorite characters. Some times you have bad games, sometimes the enemy comp just doesn't fit that characters play style.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Go to peel someone off Mercy at about 60% hp, Mercy RUNS AWAY FROM THE FIGHT AND LETS ME DIE

Nah fuck you every Mercy that cries 'I don't get protection. Protect your suports!'

Anne

So whats the big difference between GM and plat/diamonds. Anything apart from the obvious mechanical skils, knowledge and communication? I think diamonds usually have 1 or 2 of the 3. Would help to get insight.

A lot of it is really just aim and game sense, but there's a bit more to it. GM players tend to just know hero interactions a lot more in depth. They also know where to play on maps and how to move around. The biggest macro thing lower skilled players fuck up consistently is not moving around like a smart person. Positioning i\s far and away the biggest difference maker outside of mechanics.

As far as mechanics go, higher elo players manage CD timers about 1000 times better than what I see at lower ranks. Supports especially are better about that; they only blow CDs if somebody is going to die or they can win the fight off it.

As a result players like that will know how they want to approach different hero match ups, and then the mind games around CDs are just life and death since they have the mechanics to punish you hardcore for misusing one. It's so much like a MOBA it's stupid. I think because it's a MOBA-lite just stuffed under basic FPS mechanics players don't go in depth enough on that shit. They just try to play it like bootleg TF2 and get murdered because they can't punish Genjis who throw early Es :p

Had a few miserable games last night and probably or definitely drank too much but I contributed to Biscuit getting his Genji trophy, so that's a win.

Sorry to the mediocre duo of randoms that started talking shit. I didn't mean to lash out at you and it wasn't really against you, per se, but against whatever.

But you really should stop taking shit until you get a better.

jviggy43

I'll just add to what Anne stated, I would also add situational awareness. Knowing when to pop an ult, when to pocket it and save it, when to contest and not contest objectives (I see too many diamond players 1 v 6ing points that are already long gone and essentially just charging the enemy team's ult and staggering the spawn of his/her own team), who to heal, who to focus (another common mistake in diamond I see is leaving the support classes up, especially problematic when compounded with not predicting enemy ults like Mercy's res and such).

Ive seen a lot of good mechanical diamond players get stuck there because of their situational awareness. I was playing with my old group on a smurf account last night and for instance our rein (who is very solid mechanically) decided out of nowhere to just use his charge and it ended up wiping out team because he didn't account for the other teams soldier ult and left us hanging.

Jellie

A lot of it is really just aim and game sense, but there's a bit more to it. GM players tend to just know hero interactions a lot more in depth. They also know where to play on maps and how to move around. The biggest macro thing lower skilled players fuck up consistently is not moving around like a smart person. Positioning i\s far and away the biggest difference maker outside of mechanics.

As far as mechanics go, higher elo players manage CD timers about 1000 times better than what I see at lower ranks. Supports especially are better about that; they only blow CDs if somebody is going to die or they can win the fight off it.

As a result players like that will know how they want to approach different hero match ups, and then the mind games around CDs are just life and death since they have the mechanics to punish you hardcore for misusing one. It's so much like a MOBA it's stupid. I think because it's a MOBA-lite just stuffed under basic FPS mechanics players don't go in depth enough on that shit. They just try to play it like bootleg TF2 and get murdered because they can't punish Genjis who throw early Es :p

Gonna bold the bits I wanna ask about.

When you say interactions do you mean ability/ults combinations or more how they interact against enemy heroes.
WIth movement is it strafing or moving safely to flank or get to cover or moving as a team behind a rein shield?

I think I need to get better CD management and think about enemy ults more. Few times I've noticed when watching myself after I had my CD off but I don't count it in my head or I try to use it when its off CD. Sometimes shoot a dart into a group of enemies and then 5 seconds later somebody ults.

I'll just add to what Anne stated, I would also add situational awareness. Knowing when to pop an ult, when to pocket it and save it, when to contest and not contest objectives (I see too many diamond players 1 v 6ing points that are already long gone and essentially just charging the enemy team's ult and staggering the spawn of his/her own team), who to heal, who to focus (another common mistake in diamond I see is leaving the support classes up, especially problematic when compounded with not predicting enemy ults like Mercy's res and such).

Ive seen a lot of good mechanical diamond players get stuck there because of their situational awareness. I was playing with my old group on a smurf account last night and for instance our rein (who is very solid mechanically) decided out of nowhere to just use his charge and it ended up wiping out team because he didn't account for the other teams soldier ult and left us hanging.

Yeah a lot of times people don't use their ults well. Ie Lucio and zen at the same time. A lot of people panic ult in a 1 v 6. Usually I see it with genji, soldier, zarya and rein. Or you have the ult advantage but blow all your ults. I hardly use my ults since I always expect everyone to blow theirs so I save it for the next fight.

antitrop

3rd time ive dropped to 2.9k
Lets see if matchmaker will let me get back up to 3.3k for the 3rd time.
I know that feel

Jkyx8c1.png

TheOddOne

Yeah a lot of times people don't use their ults well. Ie Lucio and zen at the same time. A lot of people panic ult in a 1 v 6. Usually I see it with genji, soldier, zarya and rein. Or you have the ult advantage but blow all your ults. I hardly use my ults since I always expect everyone to blow theirs so I save it for the next fight.
Good god, what is up with this. I see it all the time.

I would personally never do this, but if someone is playing a character that just isn't doing the trick, I can see where the frustration would come from in switching to Hnazo or something.

People are far too stubborn to switch off of their favorite characters. Some times you have bad games, sometimes the enemy comp just doesn't fit that characters play style.

The guy had beef with our Ana after 1 round of koth he was like fuck it ill switch off reinhardt then

I typed to him y you throwing for?

"im not throwing,its not my fault blame Ana"
80VzHm5.png
80VzHm5.png
80VzHm5.png

People like this shouldnt be allowed near a computer.

Anne

When you say interactions do you mean ability/ults combinations or more how they interact against enemy heroes.

Against enemy heroes. Like, let's take Genji for instance. There are lot of Genjis that can hit M2 and murder you pretty consistently. They can hit E with decent timing and know all their stuff. But when they run into specific heroes how many actually put thought into their jump patterns and spacing? Or hold E > shift to deal with a specific CD? Or use shift to go through certain CDs (yeah you can do this vs flashbang) while holding onto E?

Another example is just knowing the MU. Like McCree flashbang doesn't stun if it hits behind an opponent(well, kinda, the hitbox just doesn't really go behind where the flash ends up to get this effect. Easy to visualize this way). So vs Tracer how many McCrees will walk forward, knowing Tracer blinks into him to beat flash, then does 180 into flash because he has the spacing and she can't react in time after she adjusts?

It all adds up.

WIth movement is it strafing or moving safely to flank or get to cover or moving as a team behind a rein shield?

It's mostly knowing where on a map they have advantage and when they should just move because they lost advantage. A lot of people just sit on high ground and refuse to drop or move backwards until they get jumped. When I see a player start to move backwards the deeper I try to move in on them, the more scared of them I am.

On the flipside, the normal problem of not being willing to move in and shoot is still an issue :p you gotta be able to move while speedboosted and hit shots and know when to make the call on when to do it. That's kinda counter intuitive to most FPS to run at people with a hitscan hero for instance, but it's really good.
Sometimes shoot a dart into a group of enemies and then 5 seconds later somebody ults.
This is the core of why most diamond players are diamonds. Yay, you hit sleep dart on Soldier and he died. Huzzah, you are awesome. Then McCree ults and your entire team wipes. If an ult like that is charged, sleep dart as a confirmed kill is a lot less valuable unless you have good positioning + Rein shield.

Also a lot of Anas will take 50~ or so damage and then nade themselves, Then when their tank gets dove they have no nade to heal him, or when a nade can literally wipe an entire enemy team they don't have it. Lucio will blow E (the single best CD in the entire game) for mundane reasons before a fight is fully engaged, then the enemy team dumps all their damage CDs. Lucio is then confused how his team died when that one E he did made it so the team had no counterplan for damage coming in.

Basically every hero in the game is anywhere from half as strong to near useless without a CD being up. Again, it's MOBA 101 but people miss that in an FPS game. Lucio is basically useless without E. McCree without flash is the most free dive out of all the DPS.

You mash all that shit together and the end result is that if somebody stays out of position for one second they get punished and might not know why. Somebody might get reward of a CD and then have their entire team wipe because that CD was down, and then they are confused. Meanwhile at higher elo if I whiff Helix and am not firmly in my tanks ass cheeks I might as well have held up a "kill me now" sign.

TheOddOne

They don't have faith in the other one to use theirs

Its kind of like when you walk into someone in a hallway and you both go left then you both go right
That analogy is perfect.
No communication normally. They both use it instinctively. They gotta know which ults to look out for too and talk about who blocks what but don't do this so they both do it.
I've seen it with communication too, which makes it utterly bizar to me. I've yet to have matches where it negatively effects the game though, but still I find it overkill.

AbaFadi

Banned

Yeah, good ult management goes a long way for climbing in rank. Knowing when an enemy most likely has ult helps a lot too. For example, pay attention to how much damage a Rein and Zarya are doing on the other team. Being able to predict an earthshatter or a graviton surge is more helpful than it might sound. If you think they have ult, then you can tell your team not to group up so much so they can't really get a good ult off.

At the lower ranks, there's a lot of bad ult management for sure. You don't see a lot of ults being used in combination with each other. When I switched to PC and was playing in diamond, people don't really know what to combo. For example, I was playing Rein once and had a D.Va on our team and we both had ult. I told the D.Va to ult as soon as I did, and the ult never went out even though I had a 5-man earthshatter, which would have won us the game. This is just one example, but there's a lot of this at the lower ranks, like a Tracer or Hanzo not saving ult for a Zarya graviton surge which can team wipe. I've also seen a lot of times when your team already won the fight but then your team will continue to pop ults for no reason, which would give the enemy team the advantage in the next fight in terms of ult advantage.

If you're playing support, try to coordinate which support ult to use, like if you're running let's say Zen and Lucio for whatever reason instead of an Ana. If they have Zarya and Tracer, then you're gonna want to use Lucio ult instead of Zen ult since the pulse bomb can't kill through it. You just have to play long enough to recognize stuff like this I think.

Being a team leader and telling your team which ults to use goes a long way (if they're willing to listen to you anyways).

Jellie

Against enemy heroes. Like, let's take Genji for instance. There are lot of Genjis that can hit M2 and murder you pretty consistently. They can hit E with decent timing and know all their stuff. But when they run into specific heroes how many actually put thought into their jump patterns and spacing? Or hold E > shift to deal with a specific CD? Or use shift to go through certain CDs (yeah you can do this vs flashbang) while holding onto E?

Another example is just knowing the MU. Like McCree flashbang doesn't stun if it hits behind an opponent; they have to be facing it(well, kinda, the hitbox just doesn't really go behind where the flash ends up to get this effect. Easy to visualize this way). So vs Tracer how many McCrees will walk forward, knowing Tracer blinks into him to beat flash, then does 180 into flash because he has the spacing and she can't react in time after she adjusts?

It all adds up.

It's mostly knowing where on a map they have advantage and when they should just move because they lost advantage. A lot of people just sit on high ground and refuse to drop or move backwards until they get jumped. When I see a player start to move backwards the deeper I try to move in on them, the more scared of them I am.

On the flipside, the normal problem of not being willing to move in and shoot is still an issue :p you gotta be able to move while speedboosted and hit shots and know when to make the call on when to do it. That's kinda counter intuitive to most FPS to run at people with a hitscan hero for instance, but it's really good.

This is the core of why most diamond players are diamonds. Yay, you hit sleep dart on Soldier and he died. Huzzah, you are awesome. Then McCree ults and your entire team wipes. If an ult like that is charged, sleep dart as a confirmed kill is a lot less valuable unless you have good positioning + Rein shield.

Also a lot of Anas will take 50~ or so damage and then nade themselves, Then when their tank gets dove they have no nade to heal him, or when a nade can literally wipe an entire enemy team they don't have it. Lucio will blow E (the single best CD in the entire game) for mundane reasons before a fight is fully engaged, then the enemy team dumps all their damage CDs. Lucio is then confused how his team died when that one E he did made it so the team had no counterplan for damage coming in.

Basically every hero in the game is anywhere from half as strong to near useless without a CD being up. Again, it's MOBA 101 but people miss that in an FPS game. Lucio is basically useless without E. McCree without flash is the most free dive out of all the DPS.

You mash all that shit together and the end result is that if somebody stays out of position for one second they get punished and might not know why. Somebody might get reward of a CD and then have their entire team wipe because that CD was down, and then they are confused. Meanwhile at higher elo if I whiff Helix and am not firmly in my tanks ass cheeks I might as well have held up a "kill me now" sign.
Never knew that stuff about McCree since I don't DPS usually. Would explain why my flash bangs sometimes don't work when I try him in qp or arcade though so thanks for that.

Yeah I've had a few games where I pick Ana and then nobody picks a support. When I say need a support to help heal me I get told to nade myself even when I tell them that its a waste of the ability. Think I need to work on managing the dart CD but the grenade CD I'm usually good with.
With Lucio if somebody needs healing before we engage I just sit on heals but don't amp. Takes a while unless another healer is helping but lets me speed boost in.
That analogy is perfect.

I've seen it with communication too, which makes it utterly bizar to me. I've yet to have matches where it negatively effects the game though, but still I find it overkill.
They probably just panic. It's why I don't like running Lucio and Zen together unless dive comp. That happened so much back in season 2.
Yeah, good ult management goes a long way for climbing in rank. Knowing when an enemy most likely has ult helps a lot too. For example, pay attention to how much damage a Rein and Zarya are doing on the other team. Being able to predict an earthshatter or a graviton surge is more helpful than it might sound. If you think they have ult, then you can tell your team not to group up so much so they can't really get a good ult off.

At the lower ranks, there's a lot of bad ult management for sure. You don't see a lot of ults being used in combination with each other. When I switched to PC and was playing in diamond, people don't really know what to combo. For example, I was playing Rein once and had a D.Va on our team and we both had ult. I told the D.Va to ult as soon as I did, and the ult never went out even though I had a 5-man earthshatter, which would have won us the game. This is just one example, but there's a lot of this at the lower ranks, like a Tracer or Hanzo not saving ult for a Zarya graviton surge which can team wipe. I've also seen a lot of times when your team already won the fight but then your team will continue to pop ults for no reason, which would give the enemy team the advantage in the next fight in terms of ult advantage.

If you're playing support, try to coordinate which support ult to use, like if you're running let's say Zen and Lucio for whatever reason instead of an Ana. If they have Zarya and Tracer, then you're gonna want to use Lucio ult instead of Zen ult since the pulse bomb can't kill through it. You just have to play long enough to recognize stuff like this I think.

Being a team leader and telling your team which ults to use goes a long way (if they're willing to listen to you anyways).
Yeah the combo thing is pretty accurate. Had two completely opposite situations just today. The D.va ulted so the mech went behind which made the Rein have to turn around so I earthshattered and we won the final point.
Then the next game I have my soldier ult about 30 seconds into the game, they are running roadhog and zarya and their tanks and I wait for Ana to get her ult which she uses when half the team (including me) are already dead. Felt so annoying that I waited so long for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom