• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

Okay, I'm gonna try and go full evil and learn to play Mei.

Any general tips for a new player (of Mei, not the game)?

I spent a full month in QP playing nothing but Mei, before her Ult charge nerf (and the global Ult charge nerf). It was just disgusting, but so much fun.

The wall is the highest part of Mei's skill ceiling, takes a lot of practice.

We're defending the point. Other team about to win, from death cam see Roadhog about 2 feet from securing the point. We're still in this. He stops and chains one of their Mei. Match ends.

Yup.

Lets him last way too long as a DPS.

Also, after knocking on 2900's door for the past month it finally happened.

5 losses and a draw. Back down to 2600.

Yay. Fuck this game, I love playing it but I just can't stand the people sometimes.

I think the most annoying thing to experience is being asked to play Ana when mine isn't that comp ready, and then the Genji and Zarya who are out of LoS away from the point are asking for heals and berating me for killing the things I can hit and healing the tanks I can see on the point.

Ugh.

Yup, I was at the door of 3k now I'm 2700. It's just so stupid at times. I get shitty ass Diamond Hanzo players that are like 2600 that just don't care. Too terrible to get to Master, so they just fuck around. Go to QP if you want to be a dumbfuck, that's what it's for.

God I just had the worst fucking competitive match.

Got a guy on bastion, which is fine if he could make it work. He couldn't.

Then he started yelling at the supports, me as a Ana, and a Lucio. Saying we weren't healing enough. Eventually had a guy go attack Torb out of anger.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I have no idea how this system works. It was 2-2 and then it said Defeat and I went down. We blow them out and it says 0-0? What??

Was it 2-2 with the payload?

If you didn't reach the point they reached when they stopped that's a loss even though it says 2-2 because that only counts the checkpoints you've reached.

For the 0-0 did you capture the point?

Anne

No. Nothing happens to SR period in the event of a draw. Ever. You get comp points for draws though.

I don't get how SR calculation is evil either? I've gotten two accounts up really high and one of them started in plat, and I haven't experienced any "evil" SR stuff.

Cappa

Banned
Okay, I'm gonna try and go full evil and learn to play Mei.

Any general tips for a new player (of Mei, not the game)?
Im not the best Mei(#309 on Overbuff PSN which is nothing special), but I have over 100 hours with her total in Competitive and QP I think lol

Use the Ice Wall offensively and defensively, the thing with Mei is its much more difficult to master her on attack than on defense.... for offense...have a Reinhardt on the team? Use the Icewall to trap the enemy team and have your Rein charge them.

Stuck on a choke point on offense? See which side of the enemy team is heavily favoring, for example Volskaya. Enemy teams generally seem to favor the right side of the attack team on this choke point use Meis Ice wall to sort off block off enemy team on the right and rush with your entire team on the left. (Works on other choke points like Kings Row)

Another thing I love to do, is purposely wall off my team on attack on a choke point like Eichenwalds and have everyone on my team push against the wall, as soon as wall drops everyone on attacking team rushes in at the same exact time and this helps you avoid situations of your Rein being walled off by himself by enemy teams Mei etc. This is great tactic if the enemy team has a Mei and/or Junkrat/Symmetra combo.

Playing Mei on defense is pretty easy. Remember, if you mess up on your icewall just take it down. Cant tell you how many times I see people play Mei and get so frustrated when they put up a terrible icewall(blocking off a teammate, bad spot, etc etc) and dont bring it down. Learn to time your CD timer between Ice Wall and Cryo Freeze. I cant tell you how many times Ive saved a payload or a capture point either on attack or defense simply because I stalled long enough to get teammates back etc.

There are so many tactics and things I love to do with Mei that id be here all day explaining them lol she is the most fun hero for me to play with and I love freezing Genjis. :)

Azoor

When will people realize that trickling is one of the worst things you could do in this game? It's pretty frustrating!

Antiwhippy

No. Nothing happens to SR period in the event of a draw. Ever. You get comp points for draws though.

I don't get how SR calculation is evil either? I've gotten two accounts up really high and one of them started in plat, and I haven't experienced any "evil" SR stuff.

I think it's mostly people expecting sr gain/loss to be relatively flat based on wins and losses, without factoring personal performance within the match, compared to the performance of your team and compared to the average performance on the character/map.

Cappa

Banned
When will people realize that trickling is one of the worst things you could do in this game? It's pretty frustrating!

And its one of the things that I wont understand why people bother with the teleporter when weve wiped pretty much their entire team. Ive lost so many capture points that weve should have won because it was maybe me and one other person on the capture point while other people for some reason decide to go to where the teleporter is.

Just stay on the capture point, let them trickle in, and just pick them off one by one.

Anne

28ce358107.png

That reaction to me dinking out the nanosword :>

I think it's mostly people expecting sr gain/loss to be relatively flat based on wins and losses, without factoring personal performance within the match, compared to the performance of your team and compared to the average performance on the character/map.

Still. I guess I have never experienced a gain of 2 SR or whatever, but I generally get numbers on my SR that make sense. Some wonky ass shit has to happen for it to be that messed up.

Antiwhippy

I've been averaging 30-40sr off no streaks (did not get a steak longer than 3 so far) as ana for awhile now.

I'll have what i consider myself to be a not great ana performance and get 25 or so, but otherwise it's been in that range.

It's kinda weird really. Went 2w 2l one session and gained 21 sr overall.

Anne

Game sure tells you to go fuck yourself if you want meaningful SR gains as a support.

Meanwhile I'm gaining 60~ SR whenever I play Ana. Back when I played Zen and Mercy (pre Ana) I could still get significant gains with them. I don't buy it that just playing support hurts SR gains. Tonight I queued with a friend who plays Ana/Zen/Lucio and he was gaining 50+ SR a win too. The great reddit highlight lord DSPStanky himself only plays Lucio and he holds onto really good SR.

Wondering if support players with low SR gains just have a bad MMR from not performing as mechanically well as others.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I've been averaging 30-40sr off no streaks (did not get a steak longer than 3 so far) as ana for awhile now.

I'll have what i consider myself to be a not great ana performance and get 25 or so, but otherwise it's been in that range.

It's kinda weird really. Went 2w 2l one session and gained 21 sr overall.
I'll get typically 15-24 doesn't matter how much healing I do, can't really sneak in DPS as much as I'd like to unless I'm Zenyatta.

Veelk

Banned
Hey blizzard, can you not kick me out of the 'match' for inactivity while I'm trying to work out the best control scheme in the practice arena?

Antiwhippy

I'll get typically 15-24 doesn't matter how much healing I do, can't really sneak in DPS as much as I'd like to unless I'm Zenyatta.

Thing is it's not really about the amount of healing you do, as counter-intuitive as it is. Which i kinda agree with honestly. If i want to heal heaps i would just play lucio and sit on heal song but that's not as useful as peoplee seem to think it is.

Supports are judged more on their other utilities i feel. Like it's real easy to heal big as ana but if all you're doing is heal it's really under utilising what is frankly a pretty broken but super fun character.

Also i think is all relative to your SR too because i don't think I've somehow transformed into the world's greatest ana player recently, if anything i still have a ton of things to improve, it's more like the anas at my level really suck.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Meanwhile I'm gaining 60~ SR whenever I play Ana. Back when I played Zen and Mercy (pre Ana) I could still get significant gains with them. I don't buy it that just playing support hurts SR gains. Tonight I queued with a friend who plays Ana/Zen/Lucio and he was gaining 50+ SR a win too. The great reddit highlight lord DSPStanky himself only plays Lucio and he holds onto really good SR.

Wondering if support players with low SR gains just have a bad MMR from not performing as mechanically well as others.
To be fair I know you're a cut above the rest of us.
Thing is it's not really about the amount of healing you do, as counter-intuitive as it is. Which i kinda agree with honestly. If i want to heal heaps i would just play lucio and sit on heal song but that's not as useful as peoplee seem to think it is.

Supports are judged more on their other utilities i feel. Like it's real easy to heal big as ana but if all you're doing is heal it's really under utilising what is frankly a pretty broken but super fun character.

Also i think is all relative to your SR too because i don't think I've somehow transformed into the world's greatest ana player recently, if anything i still have a ton of things to improve, it's more like the anas at my level really suck.
I don't know man, just had two games as Zenyatta where I went from 2759 to 2772 and another where I went up to 2790.

The first game I had 22 offensive assists and 22 defensive assists, on top of only dying twice and even getting some of my own picks. This was Volskaya and the enemy team didn't even capture our 1st point. The second game was Eichenwalde and this time around I out healed our mercy w/ Bronze elims and 26 & 24 O/D assists respectively and I think died 3 times and the enemy team only got there payload to the end of the bridge. Both times I had a card for offensive assists.

Anne

To be fair I know you're a cut above the rest of us.

Not by that much honestly, I just like to talk a lot and know the game well. There are other high master and GM level players in here.

I'm pretty sure Whippy is right. Supports have a lot of pressure to get mechanical stats as well as healing. Also, higher level supports will straight up double healing stats over lower level people through a combination of skill and the nature of higher elo games. They might need to adjust the mechanical influence at a lower level. At a higher level it's really not as much of an issue form what I've seen.

Also if you have a ton of hours and are close to your "confidence score" it's also a lot harder to gain rank in general.

Anne

Double post, but OGN is on https://www.twitch.tv/ognglobal

CONBOX Spirit vs KD Uncia

KD Panthera vs Runaway

First match might be a blow out, second match is more competitive. KDU was the best tank heavy team in Korea hands down, so it'll be interesting to see if they hard commit to that today or mix it up some.

Antiwhippy

The first game I had 22 offensive assists and 22 defensive assists, on top of only dying twice and even getting some of my own picks. This was Volskaya and the enemy team didn't even capture our 1st point. The second game was Eichenwalde and this time around I out healed our mercy w/ Bronze elims and 26 & 24 O/D assists respectively and I think died 3 times and the enemy team only got there payload to the end of the bridge. Both times I had a card for offensive assists.

Zen is a tricky one. Honestly my zen skills fell way away this season due to me spamming ana, but he's still my 2nd most played and the times I get 30-40 range with him is when I contribute heavily with my own elims and damage. Offensive assists and defensive assists doesn't seem to factor in as much as it does with lucio because lucio's is based on critical judgement of an important CD that is honestly really punishing if you mistime/misuse, while you can kinda spam orbs, which needs judgement to be sure, but it's a lot more forgiving. Defensive assists is literally just pressing e on your teammate who's getting kills. Which is still important, like you want that orb on a genji diving in deep, but on a game awareness level it's not that demanding.

Saying that though goddamn have I been whiffing on zen this season. I need to get back to my omnic son more. Ana is too much fun currently though.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Not by that much honestly, I just like to talk a lot and know the game well. There are other high master and GM level players in here.

I'm pretty sure Whippy is right. Supports have a lot of pressure to get mechanical stats as well as healing. Also, higher level supports will straight up double healing stats over lower level people through a combination of skill and the nature of higher elo games. They might need to adjust the mechanical influence at a lower level. At a higher level it's really not as much of an issue form what I've seen.

Also if you have a ton of hours and are close to your "confidence score" it's also a lot harder to gain rank in general.
Not sure what you mean by confidence score.

Also just ate the fat one after those two wins I'm down to 2757(really blizzard?) On Hollywood, had two teammates who refused to chat(they were a stack) while solo healing for half of our defense round as Zenyatta no less while we had a Torb and Sym. By the end of the short game I 17 O&D assists, outhealed the mid-round Mercy for a total of 10k and was seemingly our only form of DPS(as I had gold elims until our last defense point) for a while until Torb went Reaper and Soldier got his act together. v. deflating experience.

edit: Oh and we couldn't capture the 1st point only me and another guy were on mic. No one else communicated, lol

Antiwhippy

I honestly dunno about this sombra + lucio heal duo. There's just too much reliance on having to go back to a healthpack for big heals and not a lot of sustain during a team fight.

Sombra + ana maybe.

edit: like you see the reinhardt right there. Can't get any heals because he's nowhere near the hacked healthpack and just died.

Anne

Not sure what you mean by confidence score.

The game has a hidden SR number it thinks you should gravitate towards based on placements, QP MMR, and stats. The closer you are to it, the less SR you gain until you raise that by going over it a bit. If you're below where that hidden number is, you will gain more SR for wins and lose less for losses.

Kenai

I might have to play Zarya more. She seems effective and fun (randomly got PotG x 3 tonight even though I won less than that, less than 2 hours on her).

Weird question though maybe. Am I just being bad if I feel like my Ult charge is super duper slow if I am not playing someone like Sym or Torb. Is that normal?

Antiwhippy

I might have to play Zarya more. She seems effective and fun (randomly got PotG x 3 tonight even though I won less than that, less than 2 hours on her).

Weird question though maybe. Am I just being bad if I feel like my Ult charge is super duper slow if I am not playing someone like Sym or Torb. Is that normal?

Depends on the character. That said, ult gain is based a lot on how much you're doing with the hero, like damage, elims, healing, etc.

So why do people who are angry send a friend request? Is it to send a personalized message to bitch at you? Just played a dude and both teams reported him in full (which, honestly, I feel like it does absolutely nothing), and he sent me a friend request right after.

Anne

What determines the amount of SR you gain/lose after a Competitive game?

See my thing about the hidden fuzzy logic number, and add that to the team ratings as well as personal in game stats. All of those combined affect your SR gain.

Conbox always looks so... average.

They're the best challenger team in Korea. I don't think they are bad at all, just not on the same level as the other top teams. Just overall extremely meh, yeah ;~;

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So why do people who are angry send a friend request? Is it to send a personalized message to bitch at you? Just played a dude and both teams reported him in full (which, honestly, I feel like it does absolutely nothing), and he sent me a friend request right after.
Yes.
The game has a hidden SR number it thinks you should gravitate towards based on placements, QP MMR, and stats. The closer you are to it, the less SR you gain until you raise that by going over it a bit. If you're below where that hidden number is, you will gain more SR for wins and lose less for losses.
That just sounds like it's manipulating your SR.

Geneijin

It's exactly as petty as it sounds. First time it happened to me, I declined it since I heard of that happening but never really thought to be an actual thing until then...

Antiwhippy

Twilight threw with ana right there. So massively out of position when Ana is the most important person in being able to to last out the point B respawns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom