• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Tracer, and Genji are considered troll picks too sometimes. That is purely something of the lower level/casual crowds that deal with bad players who pick those heroes and don't do anything with them.

Yea, good Tracers and Genjis are frightening.

Anne

I feel like saying Bastion is a powerful hero because he can team wipe in a few very specific situations.

Well, he kinda is because of that actually? The major difference is situations exist where Bastion just doesn't work, but surprise Bastion wipe is actually a real strat. Widowmaker works in a ton of situations, always has extremely high damage, and can turn fights really quickly. She's strong in more than just a few specific situations, you just have to consider the team comp and the map segment a bit more than something like Soldier.

I think high level anything isn't considered a troll pick in general. Even Sombra. But the community considers them to be so because of "meta".

I mean, last patch that was kinda true? Last patch was really fucked up though. Even then most people I run into will roll with most anything as long as it makes sense with the comp/map.

I must be the luckiest person on the planet because I rarely run into people who will whine or go on about it too much.

Blues1990

I think high level anything isn't considered a troll pick in general. Even Sombra. But the community considers them to be so because of "meta".

Sombra is really fun to play, but I don’t think most people know how to take advantage of her abilities.

I find her best when using her abilities in combination with other characters. She’s great for buying time for the team or throw unsuspecting enemies off their feet when their abilities get locked out at crucial moments in the midst of chaos.

LiK

I feel like saying Bastion is a powerful hero because he can team wipe in a few very specific situations.

Well, he kinda is because of that actually? The major difference is situations exist where Bastion just doesn't work, but surprise Bastion wipe is actually a real strat. Widowmaker works in a ton of situations, always has extremely high damage, and can turn fights really quickly. She's strong in more than just a few specific situations, you just have to consider the team comp and the map segment a bit more than something like Soldier.

I await Bastion buff. Can't wait for Recon mode to be not useless.

I mean, last patch that was kinda true? Last patch was really fucked up though. Even then most people I run into will roll with most anything as long as it makes sense with the comp/map.

I must be the luckiest person on the planet because I rarely run into people who will whine or go on about it too much.

I think you're playing at a level where you're not seeing whiners much anymore. You're GM right?

Anne

I think you're playing at a level where you're not seeing whiners much anymore. You're GM right?

I'm right outside of GM, but most of my games are GM/Top 500 or at least 3800~. Both of my accounts went down to 3k from when I stopped playing, but I have them up to 3800~ again.

I'll admit the Diamond games I got into were kinda wild. So many people go full tilt lmao. When it comes to picks though I can play realistically anything at those levels, so if somebody starts questioning the comp I just switch in a way to make it work and try to calm them down.

Idk, from my perspective I get the general community doesn't have good grasp of the game yet, but I didn't think it was that bad where people will straight up call heroes troll picks.

Veelk

Banned

Well, again, maybe in the glorious PC master race world.

On consoles, you need to actually be able to hit things with her, but the best Widows I've ever seen still get countered by almost anyone. The only time she's an actual threat is when no one knows her location. Once she's revealed (and it's really easy to spot characters in this game), almost anyone can take her out. Again, console, but that's been my experience.

Even her wallhack...Other ults, I can talk about plenty of times where either my ult or my teammates ult saved the whole game or even just my life. It happens all the time. The number of times that wall hack saved me I can probably count on one hand. Half the time, I'm not in a position to take advantage of it.

LiK

I'm right outside of GM, but most of my games are GM/Top 500 or at least 3800~. Both of my accounts went down to 3k from when I stopped playing, but I have them up to 3800~ again.

I'll admit the Diamond games I got into were kinda wild. So many people go full tilt lmao. When it comes to picks though I can play realistically anything at those levels, so if somebody starts questioning the comp I just switch in a way to make it work and try to calm them down.

Idk, from my perspective I get the general community doesn't have good grasp of the game yet, but I didn't think it was that bad where people will straight up call heroes troll picks.

Yea, even when I was Diamond and got matched with guys in Top 500 and Masters, they would still whine like bitches when people didn't choose heroes they wanted. It's like, check what we played the most before talking smack about our picks. Obviously we didn't climb by playing people we suck at.

Skii

I get told to switch off Reaper before the game has started even after the patch lol.

I get told to switch off Reaper before the game has started even after the patch lol.

Someone was getting mad at me last night because I wasn't killing Symm turrets on Zarya. (I was full energy, shielding everyone way beyond the first choke point on Eichenwalde). Yes, I'll stop protecting all of you and direct my massive dps towards the turrets which anyone can kill. I could understand if we were just pushing through, turning around, and right clicking them, but the dude was just looking for someone to blame. C'mon

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
At this point I'm convinced Platinum players are better than Diamond players. All these tilted Diamond's wanna play fucking TORB.

Veelk

Banned
Just played with a guy bragging that he's in the top 6th percentile of DPS players. I followed him around as mercy since he was playing Pharah, and he was by far the most cowardly Pharah I've ever seen. He barely shot off any rockets and only a few of those actually hit. He would let enemies get away even though he could have killed them. What was his plan? Some kind of "slow and steady wins the race" mentality?

LiK

Just played with a guy bragging that he's in the top 6th percentile of DPS players. I followed him around as mercy since he was playing Pharah, and he was by far the most cowardly Pharah I've ever seen. He barely shot off any rockets and only a few of those actually hit.

People who brag the most are the worst players.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Then you get the Reinhart, Bastion, combo that can't even kill a single person with Mercy healing them, because they aren't paying attention to the Tracer running to the side... Q_Q

NeoRaider

CAN'T stop getting blue and white items, mostly duplicates.
Last 2-3 days event items have all been icons and sprays only. Not even voice lines this time.

I don't know what to say. Didn't get Legendary for more than 20 boxes.

At this point I'm convinced Platinum players are better than Diamond players. All these tilted Diamond's wanna play fucking TORB.

It's because Platinum players are still hungry for rank up. From this thread, I get the picture that Diamond players are kind of satisfied with getting Diamond rank and a lot don't really try for Master/Grandmaster or at least don't think they can make it. So competitive just becomes fool around mode.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
OMG had the best reinhardt potg.

Last point of king's row, hammered away because I got nanoboost on, noticed that the rein I was dueling with is separated from his team who's attacking me at the back. 180 no scope earthshattered, got 4 of them, hammered them to death, and then we teamwiped to get the final point.

Game sense all up in there.

I'm at 2,415 comp rank whatchamacallit now, so hopefully I'll reach 2,500 by tonight.
I'm confident I won't be paired up with teammates who ragequit/throw the match and people who have stayingontheobjectivephobia.

Just played with a guy bragging that he's in the top 6th percentile of DPS players. I followed him around as mercy since he was playing Pharah, and he was by far the most cowardly Pharah I've ever seen. He barely shot off any rockets and only a few of those actually hit. He would let enemies get away even though he could have killed them. What was his plan? Some kind of "slow and steady wins the race" mentality?

Not saying that you are wrong, but sometimes is more important to just keep the pressure on the enemy team than chase an easy kill putting yourself in danger and end up just trading because someone else that you didn't even noticed got you. You have to put your team first and try to be as useful as possible, play it safe.

I've seen plenty of bad Pharas on console getting killed all the time because they put themselves in way to much danger when they could do basically the same job at a safe distance since the rockets don't have damage drop off.

I remember one dude (Pharah main) that was in my team on comp (Gibraltar) and kept complaining on the chat that the Roadhog was always hooking him, telling us to deal with him. I kept quiet during the whole game because I was really pissed playing as a healer to this idiot, and I just wanted to ask him why the fuck was he being hooked and dying in the first place, against a team that didn't have a single counter to him.

In my experience high plat games are better than low-mid diamond.

I used to be on the #BuffWidow train (PS4) and then I actually played her as a main to the point where she overtook tracer for my #2 spot and now I think she's fine, tbh.

Also, considering Blizz still haven't done anything about mkb on consoles I don't want her buffed. mkb widows on ps4 are actually horrifying.

Only think I would change is knock a second or two off one of her cooldowns, I don't mind which.

Veelk

Banned
Not saying that you are wrong, but sometimes is more important to just keep the pressure on the enemy team than chase an easy kill putting yourself in danger and end up just trading because someone else that you didn't even noticed got you. You have to put your team first and try to be as useful as possible, play it safe.

I've seen plenty of bad Pharas on console getting killed all the time because they put themselves in way to much danger when they could do basically the same job at a safe distance since the rockets don't have damage drop off.

I remember one dude (Pharah main) that was in my team on comp (Gibraltar) and kept complaining on the chat that the Roadhog was always hooking him, telling us to deal with him. I kept quiet during the whole game because I was really pissed playing as a healer to this idiot, and I just wanted to ask him why the fuck was he being hooked and dying in the first place, against a team that didn't have a single counter to him.

Oh yeah, definitely you don't want to be reckless and put yourself in a bad spot. But that wasn't what was happening here. Dude was straight up not firing rockets at enemies directly beneath him in open land. It's like he wanted to throw the game, but couldn't completely bring himself to actually do it so he was technically 'trying'.

Antiwhippy

God, you know what I'm wary about the most? Diamond players who dropped a ton to be low plat/gold.

Had a diamond lucio who fell quite a bit that was acting so fucking strange. Barely used amp it up, and is always in strange places like all the way near the enemy spawn when our team was fighting on point.

And then next game it placed me against him and it was the easiest match I've had whole night. And I couldn't kill him often because he's barely in the team fights. More often than not he'll jump onto the point once we've wiped out his team.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
God, you know what I'm wary about the most? Diamond players who dropped a ton to be low plat/gold.

Had a diamond lucio who fell quite a bit that was acting so fucking strange. Barely used amp it up, and is always in strange places like all the way near the enemy spawn when our team was fighting on point.

And then next game it placed me against him and it was the easiest match I've had whole night. And I couldn't kill him often because he's barely in the team fights. More often than not he'll jump onto the point once we've wiped out his team.
I once came across a guy who picked Zen and said up front "I'm just going for achievements guys," obviously contributed nothing in the whole game, and we lost badly. He went to talk condescendingly to the other Junkrat and said he was a Junkrat main.

Next game, I ran into him on the opposing team and he was playing Lucio this time. He did nothing but try for wallriding boops the entire game and said we were all bad for not killing him (why be distracted by him if he's not doing anything?). His team was losing though (not as badly as you'd expect) and then he switched to Junkrat, and his team actually lost faster after that lol.

That asshole.

Antiwhippy

That is the literal definition of boosted.

That's assuming he's in good faith trying to win the game despite being bad.

Even in silvers people don't play like that.

And it's not the first time I've seen diamonds who fell far and hard playing in a way that's basically throwing. Some even stated it outright.

Had a lot of good games in comp last night, was on a 4 or 5 win streak, then we got put up again a group with a 200 SR higher group rating than us and we got absolutely stomped. 200 SR on average probably wouldn't be that big of a difference (still too high to be fair for comp matchmaking though), but this team was the god damn SWAT team of Overwatch! The skill gap was obvious.

I really think streaks need to be removed from comp. I shouldn't be placed against a much better team than me just because I won a few games in a row. Let me just climb normally agaimst equally ranked teams until I get to where I hit a bit of a wall, and I'll naturally get to where I should be. The way it's set up now it's more of a "if you do well for too long you need to get put it your place" system, whereas I feel it shouldn't be as rigid as that.

Same goes for loss streaks, really. Just because I lose 3 or 4 in a row doesn't necessarily mean I'm playing badly. I don't think you should lose more and more points everytime just because you may get an unlucky streak.

I hope they look at it. I don't think streaks are providing a better experience than not having streaks would be, as it is implemented now.

LiK

And it's not the first time I've seen diamonds who fell far and hard playing in a way that's basically throwing. Some even stated it outright.

Or maybe he let someone else play his account and not give a shit.

I once came across a guy who picked Zen and said up front "I'm just going for achievements guys," obviously contributed nothing in the whole game, and we lost badly. He went to talk condescendingly to the other Junkrat and said he was a Junkrat main.

Next game, I ran into him on the opposing team and he was playing Lucio this time. He did nothing but try for wallriding boops the entire game and said we were all bad for not killing him (why be distracted by him if he's not doing anything?). His team was losing though (not as badly as you'd expect) and then he switched to Junkrat, and his team actually lost faster after that lol.

That asshole.

Why would you go for trophies/achievements in competitive? That's really dumb - although I guess in QP it's a mixed bag as to whether you'll get a team composition that actually allows you to try for trophies. Every time I try to pick Lucio to go for wall riding in QP I get paired with the most incompetent team ever and we get spawn camped or something equally ridiculous.

Still - going just for trophies in comp is a jerk move.

I honestly don't understand why people will purposefully freefall. Just seems so anti-fun.

AbaFadi

Banned

I think it takes people a while to get adjusted to new patches. Like if you go reaper for a while and your team is losing, you're gonna get blamed first since he's a non-meta pick at this point.

People in diamond get mad over the dumbest things ever. A few nights ago I was in a game with a lot of diamonds, and I guess some guy on my team was on a team with a three stack on the other team. They were being super toxic to each other in chat before the game even started. They were arguing about who's fault it was that they lost the last game, but none of them really played well enough to blame anyone honestly.

He probably got boosted a lot by the initial placements of season 3, and then dropped super fast lol.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Why would you go for trophies/achievements in competitive? That's really dumb - although I guess in QP it's a mixed bag as to whether you'll get a team composition that actually allows you to try for trophies. Every time I try to pick Lucio to go for wall riding in QP I get paired with the most incompetent team ever and we get spawn camped or something equally ridiculous.

Still - going just for trophies in comp is a jerk move.
Yeah, he's just making everyone lose SR in comp by doing that shit. I wasn't happy with that guy at all.

I wish you could leave a comp match during the character selection phase. Sometimes you get early warnings that it's all going to hell and it would be wise to bail instead of sitting it out. For example, when you start a match and three people complain about how they have lost almost 1000 points this week because of shitty teammates.

RED
ALERT

Cappa

Banned
I wish you could leave a comp match during the character selection phase. Sometimes you get early warnings that it's all going to hell and it would be wise to bail instead of sitting it out. For example, when you start a match and three people complain about how they have lost almost 1000 points this week because of shitty teammates.

RED
ALERT

I would love to be able to leave at the match selection screen lol there are just games that right off the bat I immediately know are going to go bad.

RED
ALERT

I would love to be able to leave at the match selection screen lol there are just games that right off the bat I immediately know are going to go bad.

First pick: Widow
Second pick: Hanzo
Third pick: Symmetra

We're on Attack.

Welp.

Oh my god so true. I'd love this. King's Row attack game last week where a player went Widow and I would have loved to bail. They died several times, went Hanzo, died several times, went Bastion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom