• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cappa

Banned
Oh my god so true. I'd love this. King's Row attack game last week where a player went Widow and I would have loved to bail. They died several times, went Hanzo, died several times, went Bastion.
Yeah and I mean, why not handle it similar to how they do it with QP anyway. If someone leaves at the hero selection screen, dont penalize them, just put the game on "hold" until they find another player around the same SR to replace them with. If they leave in 2 consecutive games or more, than yeah, penalize them so that it doesnt get abused. Its not something difficult to implement.

Another reason I would like to have the option is because there are times Ill be group leader and Ill accidentally queue for competitive instinctively when all my group wants to do is play arcade or QP, lol. Its happened a couple of times already.

Grief.exe

I'm playing on pc for the first time in a while and ppl are being islamophobic in chat

Whyyyyy

Well, you're playing during a weekday.
Red States and white people suck up the most welfare.
You're disproportionately likely to be playing with Trump supporters.
Enjoy your heaping helping of whte supremacy.

Anne

That's pretty funny because Widow and Hanzo are both good on attack King's Row. Too bad they require a bit of mechanics :T

I haven't like posted on meta stuff in a bit, but Reinforce has been tweeting that things are really great right now, just top teams haven't gotten out of the tank comfort zones that basically carried them through a critical tournament period. I think since the patch wasa lot more subtle this time he's right. Certain heroes and comp types are in scrims if rumors can be believed. Really hope not too many drastic changes happen for a bit since things are looking really good outside of some outliers. Those outliers aren't the worst things ever either I guess.

Rizzi

God, at least when Roadhog's hook sent you flying past him there was a slight chance of surviving him hitting you with his short cooldown ability.
Now it's just "lol nope please enjoy still getting hooked around corners though~"

Well, you're playing during a weekday.
Red States and white people suck up the most welfare.
You're disproportionately likely to be playing with Trump supporters.
Enjoy your heaping helping of whte supremacy.
😭
Really? What happened?
It was just the white server chat thing while I was waiting for a game and someone was like "I see so many brownies (wtf is this?) nowadays"

And the other was like "yeah the islams are everywhere, you can't escape"

❓❓❓

maomaoIYP

0 boxes purchased, event loot so far:
Red Mei + win pose
DVa + win pose x 2
Handsome Zen
Pig Hog
Gold Mercy + highlight
Black Tracer x 2 + highlight
Bastion x 2 + win pose
Ana + win pose
Junkrat emote

I still have 13k coins, looks like I should be able to get almost everything else should I want to.

That's pretty funny because Widow and Hanzo are both good on attack King's Row. Too bad they require a bit of mechanics :T

That's interesting - I've not seen them perform well on the map but it may be due to the technical capabilities at my level (2200ish on PS4).

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
That's interesting - I've not seen them perform well on the map but it may be due to the technical capabilities at my level (2200ish on PS4).
I've seen pro teams successfully bring an attack Hanzo on King's Row before, but I've never seen it work in the games that I play.

Mostly because most pub Hanzos can't hit anything.

Anne

It has everything to do with your level. Like unless you're really good mechanically, playing attack snipers is pretty much suicide. I'm talking can be 100% if picks present themselves you can pick them up good. Both the snipers on attack are pretty good because picks matter more for the attacking team, and the defending team can't give up the sniping space at some point without giving up the objective.

Again, that relies on mechanics. If the player is at a point where their mechanics aren't up to the task, they shouldn't be attempting and should just do a safer pick.

I've seen pro teams successfully bring an attack Hanzo on King's Row before, but I've never seen it work in the games that I play.

Mostly because most pub Hanzos can't hit anything.

During those pro games you also hear the casters going "don't try this in solo queue" because it takes a lot of skill to pull off. Sure people online are good enough to do it, hell I even do it sometimes and I am not a sniper player, but it's definitely not for your average player to attempt.

Cappa

Banned
Not so much your level PC and PS4 are different beasts when it comes to heroes like Widowmaker and Hanzo(although Hanzo is pretty "easy" to play on console compared to Widow).

Generally on PS4, Widow and Hanzo on attack no matter what level you are at it is a disaster waiting to happen.

snack

Second Capture Point on Temple of Anubis needs to be reworked. My gawd. I swear I get the most draws from this map.

DevilDog

😭

It was just the white server chat thing while I was waiting for a game and someone was like "I see so many brownies (wtf is this?) nowadays"

❓❓❓

You must be in a heavily immigrated country then? This is going to go on for a while, we had the same thing here in my country.

Also brownies is like the term whities for brown people. Urban language, yo.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
During those pro games you also hear the casters going "don't try this in solo queue" because it takes a lot of skill to pull off. Sure people online are good enough to do it, hell I even do it sometimes and I am not a sniper player, but it's definitely not for your average player to attempt.
Sadly most things you see in pro games shouldn't be tried yourself. Pro games are a completely different beast.

Hell, even watching pro groups go straight for the control point on attack is mind-boggling to me. I can't think of a single time when I've been in a QP or comp game where my group pushed straight towards the point on attack instead of just hamming around at the choke point for at least several minutes, if not for the entire game.

ISOM

My guess is next week, just based on previous seasons.

One week of downtime.

Season 4 starts 28th February/1st of March.

That seems rather fast. It feels like we have another month. But maybe it's just my perception of time is off.

LiK

Everything about Overwatch feels long. Game hasn't been out for that long and yet it feels like a long time.

Cappa

Banned
That seems rather fast. It feels like we have another month. But maybe it's just my perception of time is off.

Season 3 started on December 1st.
Season 2 started on 6th September 2016 and ended 23rd November 2016
Season 1 started on 28th June 2016 and ended 18th August 2016

I wish theyd be more forthcoming with start and end dates lol

Jellie

Got to my old career high, fell 100 points and ended up 6 points higher than the start of the day. Yesterday got to my career high, fell 70 and ended 16 above the start of the day. Progress?

AbaFadi

Banned
It has everything to do with your level. Like unless you're really good mechanically, playing attack snipers is pretty much suicide. I'm talking can be 100% if picks present themselves you can pick them up good. Both the snipers on attack are pretty good because picks matter more for the attacking team, and the defending team can't give up the sniping space at some point without giving up the objective.

Again, that relies on mechanics. If the player is at a point where their mechanics aren't up to the task, they shouldn't be attempting and should just do a safer pick.

I think a lot of people undervalue heroes like Hanzo and Widow because they don't understand how important the first pick is on maps like King's Row and Hanamura. I do agree that they're better attacking heroes. Though if a sniper isn't getting any kills, they definitely need to switch off, but a lot of times they're not going to lol.

I think this season seems shorter because of the holidays. I wonder if they have any other changes planned before the start of season 4.

I'd like to ask for ranks to not be so inflated next season.

So after taking a sort of break from playing a ton of Overwatch to actually get through some other games and finish moving, I've come back to playing the 2016 GOTY. Now that I've also got a way better internet connection in this new place, I want to actually start playing with people again in comp.

Mid platinum in S1 and 2, almost breaking into diamond twice until I got into bad breaks. S3 has had me in a slump so even though I still have the plat icon, I've fallen as low as 2100+. Got back up to 2300+ in the couple of hours I've played over these past two days though. I think I can at the very least get back to my old range of 2700-2800 before the season ends.

If anyone here wants to bring along another mildly competent PS4 player for 2-4 player groups, I'm ready to go.

PSN: Howlin_Forever

I'm a Reinhardt main, but I like to think I can play other roles just fine if the need arises. Got decent hours with Tracer, Reaper, and Pharah for DPS. Got a handle on how Soldier mostly works (which I guess isn't saying much). Zarya's my second most played tank, and I can be okay with Winston. I could work on my boop game as Lucio, but I have enough sense to switch between heals and speed boost. Not the greatest Ana, but I enjoy playing as her.

Got a mic and I'm always up for communicating strategy.

If any of that sounds good to any of you, just send me a friend request and I'll accept it as long as you say you got it from here!

UNCIA was a pretty good team in s1 and Spirit showed a really slow indecisive playstyle vs C9. I think a 3-0 was the most likely outcome.

Panthera was around the same level of UNCIA while Runaway kind of only beat the worst team in the group. We'll have to see if they can pull out a victory vs FNC to see a better representation of their skill.

Sullichin

Second Capture Point on Temple of Anubis needs to be reworked. My gawd. I swear I get the most draws from this map.

Yeah point B on all the 2CP maps is just dumb.

On Anibus attack, I feel like if you don't immediately push for B on your momentum from getting A, your team is gonna have a hard time.

Prob have my most transcendence healing on Anibus point B though.

TheOddOne

God, you know what I'm wary about the most? Diamond players who dropped a ton to be low plat/gold.

Had a diamond lucio who fell quite a bit that was acting so fucking strange. Barely used amp it up, and is always in strange places like all the way near the enemy spawn when our team was fighting on point.

And then next game it placed me against him and it was the easiest match I've had whole night. And I couldn't kill him often because he's barely in the team fights. More often than not he'll jump onto the point once we've wiped out his team.
I've seen this a lot this week, passive players that are barely there. The worst is when they try the DPS role and never do any follow up after tanks go in.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I've definitely seen a lot more racism and xenophobia lately than I ever did before on Blizzard games.

pizzacat

Banned
rank inflation is gonna be hard to combat if theres no soft mmr reset.

i'd be okay if theres no placements and everyone just starts at the same place

it'll be bad but i dont want twitch streamer number 37 going 1-9 in placements and get gm and im getting 500 points less than the rank i left season 2 in winning 5-3-2 iirc?

antitrop

I think high level anything isn't considered a troll pick in general. Even Sombra. But the community considers them to be so because of "meta".
Mercy is definitely considered a troll pick. I was watching Eevee's stream (the Mercy main with two accounts in T500) and about half his games were spent arguing with people lower ranked than he was about whether Mercy was a viable pick or not.

Mercy is definitely considered a troll pick. I was watching Eevee's stream (the Mercy main with two accounts in T500) and about half his games were spent arguing with people lower ranked than he was about whether Mercy was a viable pick or not.

That's weird, haven't played along a single mercy picker that tried to troll the game, or that caused any complains from the rest of the team.

I'm 3200

LiK

Speakling of Mercy, I do the best with her in Gilbralter on Defense. We can literally hold the payload at enemy spawn. I dunno why I only do good with her there, lol

Yeah I don't really get why there are placement matches at all if they just place you around your last rank anyway.

In fact, for season 2 I ended at 2494...After going 9-1 (!) in season 3 placements I got placed at around 2350. I know they were trying to even out the ranks a bit, but it's not like I could have done much better.

antitrop

That's weird, haven't played along a single mercy picker that tried to troll the game, or that caused any complains from the rest of the team.

I'm 3200
One thing I noticed watching Eevee's stream is that a lot of higher ELO players refused to play around the Rez, rebutting with "If you were Ana, I wouldn't even have to die in the first place", which obviously just led to an entire match of arguing.

Oxn

Speakling of Mercy, I do the best with her in Gilbralter on Defense. We can literally hold the payload at enemy spawn. I dunno why I only do good with her there, lol

Shes amazing on eichenwalde defense. You can heal almost anyone and alway be behind cover.

I always try to pick her there.

One match, on a stack of 6 v6, during the 4 min duration, only 2 heroes died on my team, and i rezzed them both right away.

antitrop

😭

❓❓❓
Yup, that's the main menu General Chat, alright.

Console version not having one is a feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom