• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypernima

Banned
Every single mystery heroes game has gotten two roadhogs on the enemy team so far.

I fucking can't I'm so tilted by this hero rn.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Very much doubt it, mostly gonna look for servers with decent hosters willing to kick anyone below 4300 rating and believe me "x rank only" servers are going to be very common.

I mean if they want to play with people close to their rank wouldn't it just be rank?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Also Winston needs a buff. So many characters have been buffed while Winston remains unchanged and thus by default makes playing as winston that much harder. The skill ceiling for proper Winston play has always been pretty high as it was. If NOTHING else, then at least make his tesla gun outdamage Mercy's healing by 1dps. It's bullshit that you can't kill a Mercy healed target. And buff that shields hp, or reduce the cooldown to 10 seconds. I don't know, do something. I already feel the effects of other buffs in the game as Winston. It's noticeably harder against myriad of opponents these days as a Winston.
I've been wondering about how to properly play Winston. Obviously not about aim since it's mostly auto, but reading situations, knowing his limits, and choosing right engagements and positioning. Even so, I've had WAY more success in fights as Symmetra, even without sentries or shields, and she has way less HP. Doesn't make sense.

Kremzeek

from the PTR patch notes:

Capture the Rooster has been, without a doubt, Overwatch’s most popular brawl.​

i am just dumbfounded by this. i thought the CTF mode was universally despised?....

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've been wondering about how to properly play Winston. Obviously not about aim since it's mostly auto, but reading situations, knowing his limits, and choosing right engagements and positioning. Even so, I've had WAY more success in fights as Symmetra, even without sentries or shields, and she has way less HP. Doesn't make sense.

You're probably not making enough use of his jump or his melee.

Capture the Rooster has been, without a doubt, Overwatch's most popular brawl.​

i am just dumbfounded by this. i thought the CTF mode was universally despised?....

Its the only special brawl where you can play whatever hero you want

Antiwhippy

Gaf very rarely mirror wider opinion.

Also I liked it. I kinda wish they would make CTF modes for ranked with appropriate maps.

Stromlord

I mean if they want to play with people close to their rank wouldn't it just be rank?

Last game I played I had a match of 5 platins + me as Gm vs a 6 man premade of Grandmasters to answer your question.

What I'm rather hoping for is anyone below a certain rank (in this case top 500) and any troll to get kicked by the admin/host/whatever to maintain a competitive environment.

Xzan

Patch 1.8.0 is up on PTR.

Zarya Barrier Sensitivity? Does that mean I can adjust settings so that I can bubble the guy getting hooked by Roadhog 20m away instead of some random teammate when a few pixels of their shoulder crosses my line of sight for a second at pointblank range? I sure hope so.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

My most played brawl so far (Played lots of 3v3 too) :)

Sullichin

I can't be messing with my harmony/discord orb sensitivity after all this time but that's nice to have. Glad I can target an iced out Mei though

I like the Bastion buffs in that they help fix his poor design of ridiculous amounts of surprise damage and give him more versatility to compensate.

Reduced damage in sentry form doesn't thrill me in concept, but we will see.

Thrilled for the Eichenwalde, sensitivity, and Mercy changes, and the server browser should be pretty cool (I'm assuming this is coming to console too I don't remember if he mentioned it in the Developer Update video).

chiba

The secret is that CTF kinda sorta sucks as a capture the flag game, but there's constant small skirmishes going on, which makes it the best mode to practice a class imo.

Geneijin

Zarya Barrier Sensitivity? Does that mean I can adjust settings so that I can bubble the guy getting hooked by Roadhog 20m away instead of some random teammate when a few pixels of their shoulder crosses my line of sight for a second at pointblank range? I sure hope so.
That's exactly what it is. Can't wait for the Nano Boost sensitivity adjustments.

Fancolors

tumblr_oi331ztTLF1sn4eavo1_1280.png

RIP Boostio :'(

Antiwhippy

Soooooo glad that pharah is back in the meta. I missed my rocket bae. Still rusty as fuck with her though.

I'm still going healer main but on the rare isntances that 2 people instalocks support before I do I'll go pharah.

ca81p9H.png

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

oh jesus

I do not want that shit in comp.

The Mercy buff sounds nice, but it also means we'll probably see more Pharah Mercy combos.

And people who engage in that should be dragged out and exposed for the cowards they are.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Capture the Rooster has been garbage and I don't understand how it has been popular aside from it just visually being the most prominent selection in arcade which people are playing for the sweet ass lunar skins. However, the details for customization options on CTF makes it sound like you could make it into good/proper CTF.

antitrop

I really don't like pocketing Pharahs as Mercy. I sigh when someone goes Pharah, because I'd rather just be with the rest of the team and damage boosting a Soldier or some shit. It's safer that way.

Pocketing Pharah also puts more pressure to get value out of your Rez's, since you won't have as many of them as you would when you're just staying with your team. It really only lets you get the risky big rez's in, but I prefer doing tempo rez's more often. I just don't like Pharmercy.

I'd rather play Zen and put a Harmony Orb on her.

Plesiades

Capture the Rooster has been garbage and I don't understand how it has been popular aside from it just visually being the most prominent selection in arcade which people are playing for the sweet ass lunar skins. However, the details for customization options on CTF makes it sound like you could make it into good/proper CTF.

Gotta get those achievements! ;)

I would really like to know how the removal of the 'population bars' impacted the player count for each mode. Last time, the Mei Brawl ended up with one or two bars, IIRC.

I really don't like pocketing Pharahs as Mercy. I sigh when someone goes Pharah, because I'd rather just be with the rest of the team and damage boosting a Soldier or some shit. It's safer that way.

Then don't, that combo is good for MAYBE two team fights, after that if the other team hasn't figured out how to counter it... they're gonna have some major issues.

Antiwhippy

Pocketing Pharah also puts more pressure to get value out of your Rez's, since you won't have as many of them as you would when you're just staying with your team. It really only lets you get the big rez's in, but I prefer doing tempo rez's more often. I just don't like Pharmercy.

I don't think it should be expected to exclusively stick to pharah's ass, but pharmercy is good because it's a high mobility/high damage/high sustain combo. Also a pharah in the air makes it easier for mercy to GA away.

Then don't, that combo is good for MAYBE two team fights, after that if the other team hasn't figured out how to counter it... they're gonna have some major issues.

Pharah is great for quick escapes as Mercy though. When most people have trouble aiming up if you leave their FoV they'll forget about you lol.

Nimby

Banned
^They once gave Mercy a 50% damage boost, but it ultimately got scrapped mid-PTR.

It's important for teammates to be aware of positioning when you have a Mercy. I always try to position myself on the high-ground whenever other teammates just standard-ly hold by the cart (like on Gibraltar for instance) so whoever is playing Mercy can fly to me. I'm usually Ana, Sym or Zen on that map too.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
personally, I don't.

However I certainly would be worried if I was in any way related to Blizzard since lootboxes are one of the game's main source of income.

The server population who abuses it may not be very big, but eh money is money.

What the fuck?, why are you worrying about a Billion Dollar compant bottom line

We paid for the game, this isn't some Free to Play bullshit that we are taking advantage of

Let people earn boxes anyway they like
Its fucking cosmetic stuff, its not pay to win, right?

Unreal

Chance

^They once gave Mercy a 50% damage boost, but it ultimately got scrapped mid-PTR.

It's important for teammates to be aware of positioning when you have a Mercy. I always try to position myself on the high-ground whenever other teammates just standard-ly hold by the cart (like on Gibraltar for instance) so whoever is playing Mercy can fly to me. I'm usually Ana, Sym or Zen on that map too.

I love you.

My best Mercy games/moments are invariably when my team is gently spread up and down and around (Hanamura B is amazing for this), and I'm flitting this way and that, heal heal here, buff buff there, never in one spot for more than a moment and essentialy unkillable to anything but a lucky snipe or a Soldier ult.

Antiwhippy

Also there will still be people dumb enough to buy lootboxes anyway.

Like me if I don't get pretty boy zen and LNY rein by the time the event ends. :(((

Oberon

Banned
Is this the right place to ask why Winston seems to be worse than the other tanks?
Is he just here to take care of the Symmetra turrets?

Is this the right place to ask why Winston seems to be worse than the other tanks?
Is he just here to take care of the Symmetra turrets?

He's good but he moreso than all of the other tanks benefits from whatever heroes the opponent pick. He struggles against tanks and is good against most squishies and supports.

I would also ask what your SR is, because Winston is a difficult hero to use and the skill level might enlighten us to the level of Winstons you are playing with.

lupinko

Is Overwatch worth playing on console?

I could double dip down the line I guess.

My current PC setup is pretty old I think and I do have a PS4.

There is also that issue with me being unable to regain my Bnet account as my SC2 and WoW cdleys are in a box across the pacific at the moment.

Chance

Is Overwatch worth playing on console?

I could double dip down the line I guess.

My current PC setup is pretty old I think and I do have a PS4.

There is also that issue with me being unable to regain my Bnet account as my SC2 and WoW cdleys are in a box across the pacific at the moment.

I have a lotta fun with it on PS4.

Oberon

Banned
He's good but he moreso than all of the other tanks benefits from whatever heroes the opponent pick. He struggles against tanks and is good against most squishies and supports.

I would also ask what your SR is, because Winston is a difficult hero to use and the skill level might enlighten us to the level of Winstons you are playing with.

I am silver and I don't see many Winston on competitive. Even during quick games I don't really see him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_GTOKR78bs

Winston needs really good supports backing him up. It helps that the player in that video has the best Ana in the world keeping him in the fights there.

This video tells me I am suppose to play him like a flanking character?

This video tells me I am suppose to play him like a flanking character?

Not really. He's about pressure and disruption, but you don't really flank with him. You just annoy the enemy team/cause them to turn around. You don't flank, you dive. If you go in with a good genji and work with them, things die quick. You can also work with your hitscan dps to hop on people who have taken 100+ dmg for easy kill confirms. Winston requires good communication and teamwork moreso than anything else. You also need to be able to hop on things and be able to either hop out, or take out the important targets before you go.

Edit: Knowing where your healers are/healthpack and map knowledge are very important as well when playing Winston. You have to make yourself survivable, since you are so easy to hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom