• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's harder to deal with in this mode because you have two bases essentially and in these close quarters maps they just dominate and consistently boost up defenses.

The amount of coordination required to win against these outcomes I'd say is higher than just playing Quick Play. It's a lot easier to deal with those characters in normal Overwatch.

I kind of find quick play usually pretty unco anyway, which is why I said it would be interesting to see it in a mode with higher stakes.

Not to say comp is 100% coordinated all the time, but people usually try.

LiK

CTF is good cuz Torb and Bastion are far more useful in this mode. Symm is great but we know she's good for most modes now anyway. I'm looking forward to CTF for the other maps. Kinda tired of Lijiang.

Mawnster

"Ah, look at this team! We're gonna do great.'

Suggestion for the next patch:
Now when the team has more than 2 defense heroes when attacking, Tracer goes "Ah, look at this team! We're gonna get fucked!" in a totally happy but passive agressive way.

Edit: I somehow missclicked page 84 instead of the last one and found this post. That's why I'm quoting someone from four pages ago, if anyone's wondering.

LiK

Dva Ult is pretty much a must to clear out the flag point. Had an enemy Dva wipe out most of uswhen we were defending since we were already up two flags.

Is Junkrat considered a good hero? I really like to use him but it seems a lot of people think he's no good.

He's fine. People hate him cuz he's off meta and they don't like being blown up. If you like his play style then keep playing him.

caesar

Banned
Is Junkrat considered a good hero? I really like to use him but it seems a lot of people think he's no good.

He is either good or useless. Most of the time you can get more work done with another hero for less hassle. So he is not 'good' all around but he can be effective on maps such as Anubis A and Eichenwalde A on defense. Having said that Pharah is very popular on Eichenwalde A so its still risky.

harbleu ruins most other streamers for me, he's just so upbeat 100% of the time that it's helped change my disposition on my play. Other streamers I see end up cracking when things don't go their way, but harb's always on some good vibes.
His laugh gives me life.

Anne

He is either good or useless. Most of the time you can get more work done with another hero for less hassle. So he is not 'good' all around but he can be effective on maps such as Anubis A and Eichenwalde A on defense. Having said that Pharah is very popular on Eichenwalde A so its still risky.

More or less this. Just about every hero in the game can be used on the right map against the right comp. Junkrat isn't effective against more popular comps and strats though, so he's really niche and often times there's a better choice sitting on the table.

Mutant

Late to the party but I saw the recent dev video.

That custom server browser sounds like the exact thing I wanted. Also holy crap, 9 more CTF maps. o_o

Anne

Thanks guys. What does 'meta' mean?

"meta" is just shorthand for metagaming. Like, knowing what the popular and powerful team compositions are and how they match up against each other. It's a good thing to know about to help you make informed decisions about hero picks and how to approach match ups, but it also assumes people are playing at a skill level where that knowledge is important. So it's not required to only pick "meta" stuff unless you're a pro or really high level, but it is good to know if you do want to create an advantage or know more about how the heroes/systems interact with each other.

caesar

Banned
Thanks guys. What does 'meta' mean?

The meta game, basically the most widely used and accepted heros in a competitive setting.
Could be that way because they are good vs a certain strat (zen) or because they are very strong overall. (S76, hog)

Other players want to have these heros on their team because they will believe they have a higher chance to win. This varies in truth depending on skill tiers.

hypernima

Banned
After a series of bad games I have broke season high again but not by much.
It is not so much that I carry but that the other team just so happens to be way worse.

Talka

Are there quitters at every level of the game?

I've slowly climbed from ~1,500 to ~2,400... and it's the same damn experience. Someone quits every third game. It's such an excruciatingly frustrating experience, and a huge waste of time.

Maybe if I get into platinum territory things will pick up?

I'm on PS4 if it matters.

finalflame

One of the things that peeves me the most is spending an entire 5 hours after work playing competitive, only to end up 50 SR below where I started. So much fucking back and forth with getting terrible and alright games in solo queue.

Like, it just doesn't feel fucking rewarding.

One of the things that peeves me the most is spending an entire 5 hours after work playing competitive, only to end up 50 SR below where I started. So much fucking back and forth with getting terrible and alright games in solo queue.

Like, it just doesn't feel fucking rewarding.
I just don't let the idea of gaining SR being my gauge for reward. I play simply to play and get better and consider how I could handle situations better. SR is just a byproduct of it all, not my driving motivator. I get some legitimately terrible games, but a lot of them end up just being good whether I win lose or draw.

AbaFadi

Banned

I've slowly climbed from ~1,500 to ~2,400... and it's the same damn experience. Someone quits every third game. It's such an excruciatingly frustrating experience, and a huge waste of time.

Not really any quitters at the higher ranks unless they disconnect usually

Talka

I got five gold medals in a single game for the first time! As Roadhog, with a Lucio and Zenyatta on my team. They must have split healing duties right down the middle for me to snag that fifth gold medal.

Of course we lost, but it was fun.

Honestly, if I'm getting any gold metals... we're probably going to lose. I'm not very good, so if I'm the best my team has for damage or elimations... something's not working. Five gold medals means we never stood a chance.

Got some odd people in comp literally just bossing people around and getting angered when things don't go their way. Earlier had someone yell at me because I chose to heal as Ana (yes, seriously) on KoTH and wanted me to Lucio instead (which I'm not as good at). I made it clear that I was better as Ana, and proved it.

Nope, still got angry about me picking Ana. And just about everyone else for playing who they were good with. And we had a comp that was just fine, despite us losing the match. Which they of course berated all of us for at the end.

Wish some people would realize that you can't win every single match?? Sometimes people are just better than you?? Suck it up??

Hell, I even had it on matches we were WINNING, and winning hard. People who boss others around when they do things just fine as it is are awful and one of the worst things about this game imo

Veelk

Banned
Can we please get a "Go kill the Symmetra's generator" voice line?

Because some players will just never think that maybe the enemy team having a 150hp advantage in straight up combat may not be a viable strategy.

Got some odd people in comp literally just bossing people around and getting angered when things don't go their way. Earlier had someone yell at me because I chose to heal as Ana (yes, seriously) on KoTH and wanted me to Lucio instead (which I'm not as good at). I made it clear that I was better as Ana, and proved it.

Nope, still got angry about me picking Ana. And just about everyone else for playing who they were good with. And we had a comp that was just fine, despite us losing the match. Which they of course berated all of us for at the end.

Wish some people would realize that you can't win every single match?? Sometimes people are just better than you?? Suck it up??

Hell, I even had it on matches we were WINNING, and winning hard. People who boss others around when they do things just fine as it is are awful and one of the worst things about this game imo

People should really stop taking games so seriously. I think players get too emotionally attached to that meaningless number beside their name.

Moonkid

I've played 2500~3100s and rarely have quitters, and even then half the time it's at the very start. Also PS4 here.

ElyrionX

One feature of the Overwatch meta is that in Quick Play, there will always be a Hanzo firstpicker on your team who will throw the game for you.

Shredderi

I hate the babying some characters like Genji have going on with their ults. If a genji casts his ult and I outplay him, as in I'm better than him and own him, he doesn't lose that ulti if I shut him down successfully before he can wreak havoc. Stop punishing me for a good play. Genji doesn't need any more babying.

I hate the babying some characters like Genji have going on with their ults. If a genji casts his ult and I outplay him, as in I'm better than him and own him, he doesn't lose that ulti if I shut him down successfully before he can wreak havoc. Stop punishing me for a good play. Genji doesn't need any more babying.
Ult meter should be 0% the moment Q is pressed imo. There are other characters that can get by keeping their ult charge when they die the moment it's used too, and it really shouldn't happen.

Shredderi

Ult meter should be 0% the moment Q is pressed imo. There are other characters that can get by keeping their ult charge when they die the moment it's used too, and it really shouldn't happen.

Fucking A. You misread the situation? You fucked up? The other guy outplayed you? You should get your Ult meter reset.

Baleoce

Glad to see a feature like custom servers making a mutually beneficial comeback. I hope this catches on once again. It's basically public test realm on steroids, but instead of testing developer patches they're just watching what we come up with instead and presumably will be able to tailor content or gameplay to what they see we're enjoying, or even enhance it somehow. Probably more effective than the feedback they get currently. And as they've stated, PTR as we know it is mostly to test stability anyway.

Either way, being able to play custom matches publicly, and still get boxes can only be a good thing. It'll bring back (or rather strengthen) the concept of server communities within games as well.

I'll throw in a devils advocate and say that some might be unhappy that the playerbase for the purposes of things like matchmaking in quick/competitive might get divided to a certain degree depending on the popularity of another mode like this, especially if it turns out to be quite influential to the game.

I'm excited to see the community fix CTF though (which is how I'm guessing this is all going to play out). But I do think it needs original tailored maps with CTF specifically in mind, rather than conversions of existing control maps.

Jellie

There's a file from the PTR patch with a model of the numbani payload that carries the doomfist guantlet with broken glass around it...
ZZtJ3QQ.png

Doomfist incoming?

Angel_DvA

There's a file from the PTR patch with a model of the numbani payload that carries the doomfist guantlet with broken glass around it...
ZZtJ3QQ.png

Doomfist incoming?

I'm ready !

No Hog changes on the PTR... another 3 months of this garbage.. yea, no thanks.

I'm ready !

No Hog changes on the PTR... another 3 months of this garbage.. yea, no thanks.

This one:
Fixed a bug that allowed Roadhog to turn freely while pulling a hooked target

That was the only complaint I had about him. What's the problem with hog besides that?

The hook now seems pretty good, and it usually breaks when it should from my experience. It also pulls the characters right in front of you so no more strange hooks. And also no more exceptions like Ana or Reaper, that didn't make any sense.

I'm not following the thread too much lately, so maybe I missed something.

Angel_DvA

This one:

That was the only complaint I had about him. What's the problem with hog besides that?

The hook now seems pretty good, and it usually breaks when it should from my experience. It also pulls the characters right in front of you so no more strange hooks. And also no more exceptions like Ana or Reaper, that didn't make any sense.

I'm not following the thread too much lately, so maybe I missed something.

Too much damage ? too much self healing ? hook time cooldown must be longer too.

DevilDog

What's the problem with hog besides that?

He has a 6 second cooldown ability that is easy to land and easy to get accidental hooks, that also insta kills the overwhelming majority of heroes. Also, if you're point blank, you're dead no matter what. Hook doesn't miss there.

And if he grabs a tank, he can stand over death pits so he can one shot them.

He is also never in danger when he is doing it. It's highly unlikely he will get 100 to 0.

In short, a high reward, low risk, low skill character.

Veelk

Banned
What does everyone thing about Symmetra's Shield generator?

I notice that it's not that big a deal to team players, but it's straight up game ruining when playing solo I think. There's no practical way of dealing with it unless your straight up willing to sacrifice a push JUST to kill the shield generator, and even then you might fail because the symmetra gaurds it in an enclosed area with her shield things all surrounding it. Combine that with Torbjorn's armor packs, the game is nearly impossible for anyone whose trying to just play solo. She can build it up fast as fuck too.

Just give the fucking thing a timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom