• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think the Bastion buffs will be really interesting. I feel like McCRee can still be better than Soldier or Bastion in the right hands, but they have to be REALLY FUCKING GOOD hands because he is so much less self-sufficient than either one and so reliant on headshots. That's the problem because a middling Soldier is so much better than a middling McCRee.

I think Bastion does kind of creep into Soldier/McCRee territory with his buffs. He'll be able to spam into shields and lay down covering fire in obvious choke points, and he'll be able to self-sustain in Recon mode (possibly leading to pretty decent 1v1 ability), but lacks the flashbang and Soldier's sprint. I don't think he'll replace either one, but I can see people possibly switching into Bastion more often on defense in situations where Soldier's mobility isn't as important.

Veelk

Banned
Poor D.Va. Now she has to worry about yet another predator. Hope the finalized update comes with her old armor HP (The 500 one).

Hook 1.0 was fine. Hook 2.0 is stupid.

I'm not saying Roadhog doesn't potentially need other adjustments but Hook 1.0 was broken and could be equally as frustrating for Hog players as it was for the opposing team. Hook 2.0 is consistent and fair (although hooks breaking on high ground targets when you can see above the torso could still use some adjustment). I think they should let this play out for a while and see if people learn how to play around him. He's much more vulnerable now that he needs to play out in the open more to secure hooks and he's not really doing his job as a tank if people don't respect the space around him.

So, any news on when Season 3 ends? My Diamond dream may be over but I still want to try.

Also excited for the ONE TRUE TANK meta.

Jeff said one week before March but no exact date or time yet.

Veelk

Banned
So....lets talk Mercy buffs. Not the one announced, because that's not gonna be enough, but something else.

I think one of her biggest weaknesses is that her activity is so incredibly obvious to the other team. Zenyatta fires off an orb, he could still be anywhere, you can see line of sights coming from where Ana fires but only for a second, etc.

But Mercy just has this "LOOK AT THIS GIANT BRIGHT BEAM OF LIGHT THAT LETS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHERE I AM AND ALSO THAT I DON'T HAVE MY GUN OUT". It's already bad enough that Mercy can only either buff, heal, or do damage at any one time while all the other healers have to multitask, but the way this announces her position is perilous. Because if a Mercy has rez, she needs to hide away from the other team, basically leaving them in a 5v6 position until to play the Rez.

So what if we make her beam invisible to the enemy. Have an indicator on the healed/buffed ally to let the enemy know they are being healed/buffed, but not soemthing that gives away her immediate position right away. Thoughts?

It's ridiculous how much I hear "This isn't even my main account, my main account is masters/GM/500" in competitive. Last night someone gave us a backhanded compliment (we had a 4 stack), "This is pretty fun, I should play down here more often. It's a lot less stressful than masters.", thanks dude I'm glad you're having fun in the slums with us (team SR ~ 2900). He was a nice guy, but we still gave him shit, I know we're playing with fire because most of the time these guys throw hard when we give them shit for bringing up their main account BS.

Chance

So....lets talk Mercy buffs. Not the one announced, because that's not gonna be enough, but something else.

I think one of her biggest weaknesses is that her activity is so incredibly obvious to the other team. Zenyatta fires off an orb, he could still be anywhere, you can see line of sights coming from where Ana fires but only for a second, etc.

But Mercy just has this "LOOK AT THIS GIANT BRIGHT BEAM OF LIGHT THAT LETS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHERE I AM AND ALSO THAT I DON'T HAVE MY GUN OUT". It's already bad enough that Mercy can only either buff, heal, or do damage at any one time while all the other healers have to multitask, but the way this announces her position is perilous. Because if a Mercy has rez, she needs to hide away from the other team, basically leaving them in a 5v6 position until to play the Rez.

So what if we make her beam invisible to the enemy. Have an indicator on the healed/buffed ally to let the enemy know they are being healed/buffed, but not soemthing that gives away her immediate position right away. Thoughts?

YES.

LiK

the mentality of not playing on their main account to excuse sucking or tilting is goddamn bizzare to me.

What if it remained visible, but both beams were just combined into one? Maybe with a bit of a reduction to the damage % increase. Too OP?

I think it would take away a bit of the fun though. Part of what I find fun about mercy is managing the two beams and swapping between them.

Anne

Happy birthday to me. Placed at 3600 and did solo q to here.

UuDy0mG.jpg

NeoRaider

Was thinking of this too few days ago. How obvious her position is.
I think that hiding her beam would be great buff for her.

Jellie

were you tilted?

Nope. Just had bad luck and out played in some.

First loss was on Hanamura, 5-4 and was because the Reinhardt misheard and went to A by himself when it was lost so we got rolled on B straight away. Was a close game otherwise.
Second game was Kings Row and we had nobody who could play Reinhardt and didn't do great as a team but nobody's fault or anything was also forced to solo heal since nobody wanted to.
Third game was Nepal and had a troll on our team. He had falled 800SR so probably didn't care anymore. Was a bastion with a 30% win rate so I guessed he uses it to troll. For example, on village he sat in the health pack room to the right of the point and did nothing, then when team was wiped ran in. Was also solo healing here and we lost 3-1.
Fourth game just outplayed on Gibraltar 4-3, though nobody used mics so can't really do much about that.
Fifth game was route 66 and had a toxic guy berating everyone and changing from Rein to Hanzo afterwards.
Sixth game was solo healing again so lost that one.
Seventh had a person doing a plat to masters sombra challenge who had 37% win rate on her.

Skii

Seventh had a person doing a plat to masters sombra challenge who had 37% win rate on her.

That guy is never getting to master as Sombra. Didn't pick off a healer once and I dont even think they used EMP on attack. If they did, it clearly was extremely low value. They should be using at least 3 for a first point push.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The Mercy heal beam does give away her position, but I think that's by design because her lock-on lets her hang closer to her party than Ana usually does. So her defense is not really hiding her position like Ana, but rather just being in a place where you know she's there, but she's hard to actually get to, like behind cover or right behind a tank. Mercy also has her mobility to make up for it.

Jellie

That guy is never getting to master as Sombra. Didn't pick off a healer once and I dont even think they used EMP on attack. If they did, it clearly was extremely low value. They should be using at least 3 for a first point push.

I saw one EMP which was on point A defence after everyone else had died. They ran back in ulted and died.

Anne

Btw in case anybody is wondering the hero pool I use to climb in solo q:

Soldier, Tracer, Genji, McCree (I can use more DPS but these are the main ones)
Zarya, Rein, Winston, D.Va
Ana

Protip: Reinhardt is busted as all hell. If your team doesn't have Rein and the other does, you are at a massive disadvantage. Rein is also one of the least played heroes in ladder. Learn Rein if you want to climb.

finalflame

Hook2.0 is absolute fucking bullshit. The game is not fucking fun with this bullshit anymore. Roadhog is now pretty much guaranteed a kill when he lands the absolutely ridiculously easy hook, even when you're at 300hp+. Fuck this.

Skii

Well I went 2-7 today in comp lol. I don't think I played too badly but I just feel like my DPS players were super awful. I was getting gold/silver elims for most of matches as Rein/Zarya which was so annoying.

My only 2 wins were with Reaper

They weren't my best Reaper games for sure but I felt like I actually did my job as DPS. I don't know if I should just stick with Reaper and grind it out or continue with being forced into the Reinhardt/Zarya/healer player. I know I'm a much better DPS player than my other roles and I'm certain I'm one of the better ones at my rank but I feel like I'm just throwing if I dont go Rein/Ana in most of my games.

I saw one EMP which was on point A defence after everyone else had died. They ran back in ulted and died.

Yeah they were awful. I think they used sound barrier on your graviton and there was no EMP. That's the biggest throw I've seen all day. Just such a bad player.

LiK

Hook2.0 is absolute fucking bullshit. The game is not fucking fun with this bullshit anymore. Roadhog is now pretty much guaranteed a kill when he lands the absolutely ridiculously easy hook, even when you're at 300hp+. Fuck this.

I thought you liked Roadhog. *avatar*

Btw in case anybody is wondering the hero pool I use to climb in solo q:

Soldier, Tracer, Genji, McCree (I can use more DPS but these are the main ones)
Zarya, Rein, Winston, D.Va
Ana

Protip: Reinhardt is busted as all hell. If your team doesn't have Rein and the other does, you are at a massive disadvantage. Rein is also one of the least played heroes in ladder. Learn Rein if you want to climb.

I stray away from Rein because while I can play him well, I just hate the waiting game. But since I play a lot of fighting games I understand the footsies involved with playing Rein.

I just need to play Rein more.

Your hero pool is basically mine, swap Tracer for Pharah and Genji for Lucio.

Oxn

When you're outhealing Ana as Zen and get told to switch. jlawokay.gif

When you have 3 gold as soldier, and your teammate says you are the weak link, and in another match, "did he even ever use his ult"

Then another teammate says im pretty sure he used it twice.

Damn haters looking for someone to blame cause they are bad. And this is all after being tracer in the first match.

When you have 3 gold as soldier, and your teammate says you are the weak link, and in another match, "did he even ever use his ult"

Then another teammate says im pretty sure he used it twice.

Damn haters looking for someone to blame cause they are bad. And this is all after being tracer in the first match.

I had that happen once.

We had a Sombra on Anubis attack who was wrecking shop, but the three stack wanted to blame her for us not getting the last point when their Rein player kept killing himself by whiffing charges.

Next game I load into the other team we played on my team and they were all talking about "that Sombra" from last game who made it hell for them lol.

The resurrection change was needed but Mercy is still going to be useless because...

-No utility comparable to discord, speed boost, or grenade/sleep dart
-Hiding with ultimate is too high risk/reward and places your team at a huge disadvantage
-Connected heal/boost beams paint an even bigger target on the giant bullseye already on Mercy's back

I would like to see:

* Add 'E' ability with some type of valuable utility or a limited escape/invulnerability move
* Change ultimate to hold charges and possibly limit the amount of team members that can be simultaneously resurrected
* Only show connected beams to allies

Less likely but could be cool:
* Beam effectiveness increases over time

Obviously they would need to balance this somehow by making the starting point low and the ending point higher than current levels or implement a time limit on how long you can sustain the higher levels of charge.

I was also thinking, what if they gave Mercy 'ammo' and the beam (heal and boost) effectiveness would ramp up very quickly and strongly (think Symmetra) but deplete energy when used which would need to be 'reloaded/recharged' for balance?

Trey

no.

Oxn

The resurrection change was needed but Mercy is still going to be useless because...

-No utility comparable to discord, speed boost, or grenade/sleep dart
-Hiding with ultimate is too high risk/reward and places your team at a huge disadvantage
-Connected heal/boost beams paint an even bigger target on the giant bullseye already on Mercy's back

I would like to see:

* Add 'E' ability with some type of valuable utility or a limited escape/invulnerability move
* Change ultimate to hold charges and possibly limit the amount of team members that can be simultaneously resurrected
* Only show connected beams to allies

Less likely but could be cool:
* Beam effectiveness increases over time

Obviously they would need to balance this somehow by making the starting point low and the ending point higher than current levels or implement a time limit on how long you can sustain the higher levels of charge.

I was also thinking, what if they gave Mercy 'ammo' and the beam (heal and boost) effectiveness would ramp up very quickly and strongly (think Symmetra) but deplete energy when used which would need to be 'reloaded/recharged' for balance?

I like the idea of charges on your ult.

As for the beam. Maybe just have it show up when the teammate only needs toping off, this way if you just want to hold beam on a teammate when they are at full, it wont show.

Oxn

What if

What if they just let Mercy have the gun and staff out at the same time.

They should just make her healing beam also be an attack beam, similiar to symmetra, but make it less powerful like a winston beam.

This way people arent running right up to her face without reprocussions.

Jellie

Well I went 2-7 today in comp lol. I don't think I played too badly but I just feel like my DPS players were super awful. I was getting gold/silver elims for most of matches as Rein/Zarya which was so annoying.

My only 2 wins were with Reaper

They weren't my best Reaper games for sure but I felt like I actually did my job as DPS. I don't know if I should just stick with Reaper and grind it out or continue with being forced into the Reinhardt/Zarya/healer player. I know I'm a much better DPS player than my other roles and I'm certain I'm one of the better ones at my rank but I feel like I'm just throwing if I dont go Rein/Ana in most of my games.

Yeah they were awful. I think they used sound barrier on your graviton and there was no EMP. That's the biggest throw I've seen all day. Just such a bad player.

Your reaper was good in the game I played with you.
At least you didn't have to put up with this.

Not sure what I could even do in that situation. Solo healing (and they have sombra so limited health packs yay).
When I go to a health pack, soldier who was at full health dies when I get back, bastion is throwing the game by sitting in that room doing nothing. Probably could've healed McCree if I was further back and not used the dart when our hog had got bubbled but didn't really have time to react to the bubble I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom