• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
He has a 6 second cooldown ability that is easy to land and easy to get accidental hooks, that also insta kills the overwhelming majority of heroes.

And if he grabs a tank, he can stand over death pits so he can one shot them.
He is also never in danger when he is doing it. It's highly unlikely he will get 100 to 0.
In short, a high reward, low risk, low skill character.
Yup.
Dude can stay away from battle, hook you up and one shot you.
And just in case heal himself.

I think they should shorten the hook rang, so he has to get in to get kills.
Also is he the only tank that doesnt have any shielding ability for their team mates? Reinhardt, Zarya, Winston and D.VA have shields to help out the team.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
We have a widow, soldier and roadhog on hollywood.

I had gold elims as ana during the attack phase. We didn't make it to the 2nd checkpoint.

Managed to clutch out a win at the end because the widow happens to play a really good tracer.

Fancolors

What does everyone thing about Symmetra's Shield generator?

I notice that it's not that big a deal to team players, but it's straight up game ruining when playing solo I think. There's no practical way of dealing with it unless your straight up willing to sacrifice a push JUST to kill the shield generator, and even then you might fail because the symmetra gaurds it in an enclosed area with her shield things all surrounding it. Combine that with Torbjorn's armor packs, the game is nearly impossible for anyone whose trying to just play solo. She can build it up fast as fuck too.

Just give the fucking thing a timer.

Ideally the Symm/Torb combo shouldn't work because it needs to get the ball rolling at a disadvantage before being effective at anything, but if it happens Tracer can dive and destroy it with her ult.

There's a file from the PTR patch with a model of the numbani payload that carries the doomfist guantlet with broken glass around it...
ZZtJ3QQ.png

Doomfist incoming?

yep4c5caTXp426CUYsY4Ac-480-80.jpg

B E L I E V E

Too much damage ? too much self healing ? hook time cooldown must be longer too.

He has a 6 second cooldown ability that is easy to land and easy to get accidental hooks, that also insta kills the overwhelming majority of heroes. Also, if you're point blank, you're dead no matter what. Hook doesn't miss there.

He is also never in danger when he is doing it. It's highly unlikely he will get 100 to 0.

I thought that we were talking about the hook changes.

I agree with you guys, I've said before that the hook cooldown should be longer and the range shorter. Nothing too drastic though.

Veelk

Banned
Ideally the Symm/Torb combo shouldn't work because it needs to get the ball rolling at a disadvantage before being effective at anything, but if it happens Tracer can dive and destroy it with her ult.

In my game, I with Tracer tried to take it down. It doesn't feel like a realistic proposition in the set up that they had with Voskaya. First it's in the little enclosure with the healthpack, so you need to go deep into enemy lines just to see, right where the spawn is. What are the chances you don't get spotted? Then you have her turrets. The damage wasn't too bad with D.Va, but they slow you down to a crawl. So it's hard to even get at it when you do see it. I had to start firing because my time was limited, but because I wasn't as close as I'd like, I wasn't doing the damage I needed to it. But tracer, due to her low health, would be dead unless she killed the turrets first, and that's precious time you'd have to waste not destroying the thing that is fucking you over, right next to the spawn and the enemies. And the thing has 400 hp with regenerating shields. It takes a lot to take it down. I managed to take it down one time and died for my efforts. It was back up by the time I returned after respawning. I wasn't able to get it a second time because they were guarding it.

It's just an overly difficult challenge for the attacking team while the enemy has effectively an infinite supply of free shields for one ult. It doesn't seem reasonable. I mean, her teleport is limited. It's not like they get infinite free teleports until the machine is destroyed. They get six, then the teleport goes out. But the far more effective shielding lasts forever?

It doesn't feel right to me.

Skii

I hate the babying some characters like Genji have going on with their ults. If a genji casts his ult and I outplay him, as in I'm better than him and own him, he doesn't lose that ulti if I shut him down successfully before he can wreak havoc. Stop punishing me for a good play. Genji doesn't need any more babying.

No, that's stupid. Genji can't do anything whilst casting his ult or sheathing his sword so it would be terrible game design for him to lose his ult whilst casting it. The whole point of giving it a cast time is to give the enemy team enough time to react. If you manage to shut him down before he ults, great you've won the fight but you will know that he still has the ult for the next fight.

In my game, I with Tracer tried to take it down. It doesn't feel like a realistic proposition in the set up that they had with Voskaya. First it's in the little enclosure with the healthpack, so you need to go deep into enemy lines just to see, right where the spawn is. What are the chances you don't get spotted? Then you have her turrets. The damage wasn't too bad with D.Va, but they slow you down to a crawl. So it's hard to even get at it when you do see it. I had to start firing because my time was limited, but because I wasn't as close as I'd like, I wasn't doing the damage I needed to it. But tracer, due to her low health, would be dead unless she killed the turrets first, and that's precious time you'd have to waste not destroying the thing that is fucking you over, right next to the spawn and the enemies. And the thing has 400 hp with regenerating shields. It takes a lot to take it down. I managed to take it down one time and died for my efforts. It was back up by the time I returned after respawning. I wasn't able to get it a second time because they were guarding it.

It's just an overly difficult challenge for the attacking team while the enemy has effectively an infinite supply of free shields for one ult. It doesn't seem reasonable. I mean, her teleport is limited. It's not like they get infinite free teleports until the machine is destroyed. They get six, then the teleport goes out. But the far more effective shielding lasts forever?

It doesn't feel right to me.

With Tracer you should build your ult, which shouldn't take long, and use it to destroy the shield generator if it has too much protection.

I still prefer Sombra though, go invisible until you are near it and fire at point-blank range, 2-3s and it's destroyed.

Veelk

Banned
With Tracer you should build your ult, which shouldn't take long, and use it to destroy the shield generator if it has too much protection.

I still prefer Sombra though, go invisible until you are near it and fire at point-blank range, 2-3s and it's destroyed.

Again, that wouldn't work. The thing was in a tiny room surrounded by turrets. You try to kill it just by appearing next to it, you'd die before you finish. Sure, you can clear those out, but that second counts when your literally next to the enemy spawn trying to kill something with the HP of a tank. At best, you're very likely to get merc'd by a very territorial Symmetra. I mean, you might get lucky too, sure, but it's just a very high risk for you, very low risk for the other team. And that's my real problem with it. It doesn't feel practical to kill unless you are willing to lay down atleast one life for it.

He has a 6 second cooldown ability that is easy to land and easy to get accidental hooks, that also insta kills the overwhelming majority of heroes. Also, if you're point blank, you're dead no matter what. Hook doesn't miss there.

Idk, Roadhog does get kills but if you play him poorly you mostly just end up charging people's Ults really fast.

Also, mediocre players tend to not use the hook as well and rather than get decent targets just use it right away when it's available which means they'll either miss or choose bad targets.

There is some skill in using him, I think. But I don't think it's the same as other characters where you can punish yourself by misusing him.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah, seriously, Sym's generator is fucking stupid. Just had another game with it.

She got it up and running withing a single push or two.

After that, the enemy had the choke point on hold so hard that they were killing us at our spawn.

D.Va is perhaps the only oen who could have handled both the mobility required and had the firepower to kill it fast. Anything else was impractical. It took me 5 attempts. They tore me to shreds 3 times before I made it past the choke point. Then I had to look for it. I was wrong the first time and died. Then I finally found and destroyed it....in the last few seconds of the match.

Matches are all but impossible to win until it's destroyed, but it can be SO hard to do your own. And that was in the FIRST point of Anubis. If we actually managed to capture it, it would have been even more impossible in the second.

Oxn

There's a file from the PTR patch with a model of the numbani payload that carries the doomfist guantlet with broken glass around it...
ZZtJ3QQ.png

Doomfist incoming?

Im saving my 3000 points to get his gold weapon when doomfist is released lol.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, seriously, Sym's generator is fucking stupid. Just had another game with it.

After that, the enemy had the choke point on hold so hard that they were killing us at our spawn.

D.Va is perhaps the only oen who could have handled both the mobility required and had the firepower to kill it fast. Anything else was impractical. It took me 5 attempts. They tore me to shreds 3 times before I made it past the choke point. Then I had to look for it. I was wrong the first time and died. Then I finally found and destroyed it....in the last few seconds of the match.

Matches are all but impossible to win until it's destroyed, but it can be SO hard to do your own. And that was in the FIRST point of Anubis. If we actually managed to capture it, it would have been even more impossible in the second.

The secret really is to just get an ult combo where 75 extra shields doesn't matter.

Where there are plenty in the game really.

Also honestly, now that sym is in the game, pharah ruins her shit so hard it's not even funny. Had a game against a sym on dorado defense and I basically made it my mission to make her miserable.

caesar

Banned

You dont need to kill it, just combo ult the enemy team and you will wipe them anyway.

Antiwhippy

Eh, you get fairly coordinated plays most of the time. Sometimes you don't though but most times, for me anyway, you do.

Had a really lovely blizzard > self destruct combo last match actually.

Also had a really funny moment where I saw a roadhog trying to hide from self destruct, so I concussive blasted him into LoS.

LiK

The secret really is to just get an ult combo where 75 extra shields doesn't matter.

Where there are plenty in the game really.

Also honestly, now that sym is in the game, pharah ruins her shit so hard it's not even funny. Had a game against a sym on dorado defense and I basically made it my mission to make her miserable.

Pharah is pretty much the only hero I find super annoying when I play Symm.

Lyng

Just increase the cd of his hook. Low skill is a weird statement when so many people are trash with the hook

DevilDog

In comparison.

Getting a OHK with widow demands monumental amounts of skill compared to roadhog's hook.

People can be trash with anything. Doesn't mean the argument is relevant.

Chance

What does everyone thing about Symmetra's Shield generator?

I notice that it's not that big a deal to team players, but it's straight up game ruining when playing solo I think. There's no practical way of dealing with it unless your straight up willing to sacrifice a push JUST to kill the shield generator, and even then you might fail because the symmetra gaurds it in an enclosed area with her shield things all surrounding it. Combine that with Torbjorn's armor packs, the game is nearly impossible for anyone whose trying to just play solo. She can build it up fast as fuck too.

Just give the fucking thing a timer.

Tracer

Sombra

Pharah

Genji

Reaper..?

Veelk

Banned
Tracer

Sombra

Pharah

Genji

Reaper..?

In the situation I was in, Pharah had no angle she could shoot at it from safety. Genji would take too long to destroy it, he'd get found out for sure. Reaper has the power, but he's slow and loud with his "REAPERSITIONING!" He'd get spotted for sure. Again, this is the room RIGHT by the spawn. Your window to getting in and killing it is small.

To destroy it, you need a hero whose both fast/sneaky enough to get to it before the enemy can stop you, tough enough to take the barrage of bullets that you will likely take along the way, and powerful enough to kill it quickly. Of those, In the situation I was in, only Tracer would actually have a chance of making it IF she had her ult. Maybe Sombra if she was lucky and no one detected her before she destroyed the turrets.

Chance

In the situation I was in, Pharah had no angle she could shoot at it from safety. Genji would take too long to destroy it, he'd get found out for sure. Reaper has the power, but he's slow and loud with his "REAPERSITIONING!" He'd get spotted for sure. Again, this is the room RIGHT by the spawn. Your window to getting in and killing it is small.

To destroy it, you need a hero whose both fast/sneaky enough to get to it before the enemy can stop you, tough enough to take the barrage of bullets that you will likely take along the way, and powerful enough to kill it quickly. Of those, In the situation I was in, only Tracer would actually have a chance of making it IF she had her ult. Maybe Sombra if she was lucky and no one detected her before she destroyed the turrets.

I'll blow a pulse bomb on a shield gen/teleporter and feel it was an ult well spent.

Edit: in fact - apt: https://youtu.be/ZhGnfzhVp-Q?t=2m54s

Veelk

Banned
I'll blow a pulse bomb on a shield gen/teleporter and feel it was an ult well spent.

Well, then I hope I get you as my tracer teammate next time instead of the bloke who was off doing god knows what. Still, even then I feel it's iffy. The problem with Sym is that she sets up turrets around the thing. It really fucks with your speed if you get caught by them, which is what Tracer needs.

Paltheos

Shield generator

It's too strong on some maps. Any enclosed space without easy access is nigh impenetrable. Anubis B is bad but not impossible since you have two access points that are relatively close to the point and not dumb easy to see coming, meaning you'll have at least a little time as Dva or whatever to get some shots in. Hanamura B is the absolute worst. That hidey-hole by the right, defending spawn is practically invincible. There's one approach to it that's way out in the open. None of the turrets can be destroyed without being in LOS of them by any hero that would make a go at the generator. And ofc it's positioned reasonably close to the objective so there's no downside in putting it in the back. I'd prefer both of these be fixed but Hanamura B... ugh.

I think Tracer's the only hero who might have a shot at doing anything, with Pulse Bomb. An organized team might adequately defend though, and, since we're on the subject of matching heroes with Sym, I might prefer Mei to Torb.

Hook 1.0 was fine. Hook 2.0 is stupid.

Blues1990

With PAX coming up in March, along with how Ana & Sombra were in a 3-4 month development cycle & Blizzard having such a big presence there, would it be fair to say that Doomfist will be revealed?

I know about the new model of the payload with the absent Doomfist & the broken glass, so....

Oxn

Are there quitters at every level of the game?

I've slowly climbed from ~1,500 to ~2,400... and it's the same damn experience. Someone quits every third game. It's such an excruciatingly frustrating experience, and a huge waste of time.

Maybe if I get into platinum territory things will pick up?

I'm on PS4 if it matters.

The messed up part is that not only do i lose SR, but i have to stay for the entirety of it to not lose maximum pointage. Which is wasting my time even more.

Chance

I just hope he kinda' clicks into the game and is fun ala Sombra, and doesn't hit like a doomsday comet and redefine the meta ala Ana.

Also if s/he isn't voiced by Terry Crews I will riot

LiK

Genderbender seems like a lot of work. Doubt they'll even bother doing that until much later when more heroes are out or when people the popularity starts waning.

Been totally out of it for awhile. Custom servers? Anyone hyped for that?

Also when does the event end? I think I better log on and just and must have skins that I missed.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Torb/Symmetra is supposed to be good but I usually feel a bit iffy whenever I'm on a team that tries it. It usually means someone ends up solo healing, and then instead of going for the shield generator/teleporter, the other team can just dive on and kill the healer, which leads to a team wipe from there.

I also seem to often end up on teams that prefer the teleporter over the shield generator, and I'm still not sure about that.

I hated McCree at first because I sucked with him, but now that I can actually aim, McCree is one of my most fun characters to play. The only problem is in competitive I'd rather go with Soldier because he can run and self heal. They need to do something to make McCree better than Soldier since he requires more skill.

rulerk1

Played qp with some grandmasters and top 500 players on ps4. I noticed they would quit whenever they got snuck up on or whenever the fights not going their way. It's strange really.

Jellie

Sombra refuses to change as they are doing a plat to master challenge he with sombra. 37% win rate. Guess the result.

Torb/Symmetra is supposed to be good but I usually feel a bit iffy whenever I'm on a team that tries it. It usually means someone ends up solo healing, and then instead of going for the shield generator/teleporter, the other team can just dive on and kill the healer, which leads to a team wipe from there.

I also seem to often end up on teams that prefer the teleporter over the shield generator, and I'm still not sure about that.

Teleporter is still better than generator a lot of the time, I think. Though it does kind of make Torb a bit pointless

Kysen

PTR bastion feels great to play. Recon mode isn't a joke anymore and sentry is no longer a death sentence at close rage. I have been using it the moment I see I need a little extra damage and there is more than one person close by. Fleeing while healing is funny.

One thing I have noticed is that the ult shells feel weaker now. But that could have just been a hp setting on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom