• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant

Diamond league, everybody.

Hasn't the average player's SR gone upward? I swear that last season when I hit diamond Master Overwatch said I was in the top 15th percentile while this season I was in the top 36th.

If that's the case then yeah, diamond league is now the equivalent of last season's mid-platinum.

LiK

Picking attack Torb on Hanamura while writing the War and Peace of tilt-speak in team chat. I've never seen somebody that far gone as to write me a novella of their life in chat while still in character select.

wish you took screenshots

AbaFadi

Banned
Picking attack Torb on Hanamura while writing the War and Peace of tilt-speak in team chat. I've never seen somebody that far gone as to write me a novella of their life in chat while still in character select.

I saw that on your stream this morning lol. Also, if you play comp in the morning at that rank, expect a few diamonds in your games. If you play later in the day you most likely won't see any diamonds.

I honestly cannot get into using Rein at all. Maybe he's just not my style.

I like playing Rein, but it gets rough if the heals aren't there and your team doesn't push up with you. I like to play aggressive Reinhardt. It works really well when the other team doesn't have a Roadhog.

Jellie

Yeah that's pretty trolly. Was it at least an interesting story?
At least you can still play with me lmao.

I don't know if it was with you but I did my first boostio in comp today lol. We were all in a graviton and I try to boost Reinhardt who's absolutely massive and right in front of me but the game gave it to Lucio who wasn't even in my LOS.

Would have liked to get to masters before I fell 200sr...
Were you Ana with me? Was that when I decided to Zarya?
I saw that on your stream this morning lol. Also, if you play comp in the morning at that rank, expect a few diamonds in your games. If you play later in the day you most likely won't see any diamonds.
You got a link to an archive? I kinda wanna see his story.

finalflame

Just got completely shut down by a Pharah+Mercy combo. I swear it's so fucking OP if your team does not have a half decent hitscan. Holy shit that was frustrating.

That badminton
WLPMGp8.gif

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just got completely shut down by a Pharah+Mercy combo. I swear it's so fucking OP if your team does not have a half decent hitscan. Holy shit that was frustrating.
Any game where the enemy Pharah has free reign is just no fun at all.

Pharmercy takes a team effort to take down. A single hitscan guy won't cut it.

The thing that I like about practicing McCree so much lately is when you're the guy shutting that combo down your team fucking loves you.

Nimby

Banned
What does everyone thing about Symmetra's Shield generator?

I notice that it's not that big a deal to team players, but it's straight up game ruining when playing solo I think. There's no practical way of dealing with it unless your straight up willing to sacrifice a push JUST to kill the shield generator, and even then you might fail because the symmetra gaurds it in an enclosed area with her shield things all surrounding it. Combine that with Torbjorn's armor packs, the game is nearly impossible for anyone whose trying to just play solo. She can build it up fast as fuck too.

Just give the fucking thing a timer.

Shield gen swings skirmishes in your favor, but when the enemies have ults the effect it brings is useless. When you're running Sym, you usually don't have sound barrier or transcendence to negate that type of damage. I think a good combo for Symmetra on defense would be her + Mercy (because she can revive and has decent healing), and 2-3 DPS + a Reinhardt with D.Va or Zarya as off tank if you just have 2 DPS.

Like Reinhardt + Roadhog + Soldier/McCree + Mei/Junkrat/Torb + Sym + Mercy could be decent.

Honestly, they should really take Sym back to the lab again. Because yes, it would be a pain to deal with her in solo queue, just imagine her in the lower ranks. She also has an advantage on console too, not much because it really isn't hard to shut her down but McCree/Soldier are a little less effective dealing with her if she is close range. But then you also have to consider how situational/niche she is, and if the team knows what they are doing, how much of gamble running Sym over Lucio is. I think she could be used outside of first point if Lucio wasn't as necessary as he is, for instance I think she is good on:

Dorado 1st/2nd/3rd
Kings 1st/2nd
Hollywood 1st/2nd
Gibraltar 1st/2nd sometimes
All 2CP 1st/2nd
Eichenwalde 1st
Numbani 1st

Really, the only thing her rework has done was made her slightly more effective at holding first points. Which, one of the main points for her rework was to make her not as situational. The devs consider Symmetra as much a support as Lucio, Mercy, etc. but she is still just vastly inferior on attack, and inferior on other points of defense with the exception possibly being last point 2CP. The rework made her workable on offense, yes, but there is really no reason to choose her over another support, similar to Torbjorn vs. an offense hero.

I think she could use some kind of passive team-wide sustain, something that Sombra has over her if you consider her a support. It would make her more viable to be paired with other supports and wouldn't make her this glorified defense hero, although she would be a defensive support still. Making her buildables visible to teammates would make her perform better, because virtually no one uses comms at diamond/plat on PS4. I haven't seen one person in comms in the last 10 comp games I've played, which means they don't know when someone is attacking the tele until it's too late. There's also her barrier which has its situational uses, but is mostly just used to protect Reinhardt barrier. Teleporter is probably the best thing she has but that has its flaws as well, it is useless after a full wipe because if it's placed closer to point it will likely be destroyed, and if it's too far away then you won't be able to get back to point in time. If it's low on charges, then you most likely won't have the numbers to even contest the point, and then you're just feeding.

I know she is a problem in the areas you talked about, but I really think they need to look at her again from both perspectives. Not a full-blown rework besides the new passive I mentioned, just number tweaks and slight changes to her mechanics.

Akuun

Combo it with a DVa or Winston works. Pharah v Pharah skills are becoming more important too.
Yup, I love it when a DVa or Winston chips in. They don't do much damage on paper but they freak out the Pharah so much that it really makes life easier for me.

Sometimes if they're just chasing the Pharah away endlessly, I can even just help chip in party damage instead of spending all my time hunting Pharah.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I seriously think of you want to run sym, you can't take up a healer spot unless you have a really good ana, because good anas can basically solo heal. You need to take the dps spot.

antitrop

Hasn't the average player's SR gone upward? I swear that last season when I hit diamond Master Overwatch said I was in the top 15th percentile while this season I was in the top 36th.
Platinum was ridiculously overcrowded in Season 2, so they pushed people on the upper-tiers farther up and people on the lower-tiers farther down to try to even out the spread better.

You have to be ~3500 in S3 to be roughly the same you were at 3000 in S2, though, yeah.

Any game where the enemy Pharah has free reign is just no fun at all.

Pharmercy takes a team effort to take down. A single hitscan guy won't cut it.

This is 100% correct, it's difficult for just soldier to take this combo down if pharmercy is good at retreating. I found that if no one else is willing to go hitscan, Zen's discord makes soldiers life much easier.

Akuun

I seriously think of you want to run sym, you can't take up a healer spot unless you have a really good ana, because good anas can basically solo heal. You need to take the dps spot.
That's how I see it too. Solo heal is too risky outside of very well coordinated teams and exceptionally strong Anas. Symmetra would play like a dps in that setup anyway.

NeoRaider

Sombra is the best Hero to take care of Symmetra's shield generator. It's just so easy. I mean in QP, in comp i am not sure does anyone pick her tbh. I am not playing it. But for solo destroying shield generator Sombra is great.

DevilDog

Tracer's ult destroys anything symmetra does. She gets it so fast it's never a problem.

On top of that, the shield generator comes with a great cost. The sacrifice of a dps/support to have symmetra in the first place.

LiK

I wish they simply took out the categories. They don't even know what their own heroes are and once they reworked them, they changed them.

KiraFA37

Today 2-1 in comp and yesterday too, the Comp Gods aka Kaplan are with me. Would be awesome if I could get to Diamond before the end of the season. Have to rant about one game though, Oasis 2 rounds down and I have gold elims (16) as Ana, almost able to turn it around but the team was half trolling half salty especially that one dude that was complaining about how much better playing comp on NA is apparently.

kirblar

I wish they simply took out the categories. They don't even know what their own heroes are and once they reworked them, they changed them.
They're helpful for newbies- it's far better handled here than in HOTS. The two good changes (for clarity's sake) they could make are moving Symmetra to Defense and renaming "Support" to "Healer".

Skii

Would have liked to get to masters before I fell 200sr...
Were you Ana with me? Was that when I decided to Zarya?

Yeah on Volskaya. Didn't really want to play healers because I hadn't practiced Ana/Zen today but was forced to and didn't really do anything. The only thing I did of note was solo that Symmetra in the final fight but then I didn't have grenade for graviton... If our Sombra was good, they would've Emped but maybe I threw.

Jellie

Yeah on Volskaya. Didn't really want to play healers because I hadn't practiced Ana/Zen today but was forced to and didn't really do anything. The only thing I did of note was solo that Symmetra in the final fight but then I didn't have grenade for graviton... If our Sombra was good, they would've Emped but maybe I threw.
Would have Ana'd if you wanted me to. I changed because somebody on our team was Ana main but they didn't want her I guess.
lmao how? I'm counting 7 heroes.

peeps have been saying for a minute his dps is far too high for him to be a tank, regardless of the hook, and he should have his hp lowered to 350/400. Blizz nocur.

Two Genjis on the other team...

Skii

Would have Ana'd if you wanted me to. I changed because somebody on our team was Ana main but they didn't want her I guess.

Nah it's fine. I don't think it would've given us any chance when it was practically 5v6. We didn't even have a real fight until the final push lol.

kirblar

That looks better than I expected. Soldier still has the DPS edge with Helix Rocket though.

Sentry mode seems much slower without the ability to land critical headshots but the larger clip size should make up for that..
No longer having random Bastion insta-gibs is a massive QoL treatment for playing against him.

randome

Hey guys, how the hell do my friend and I team up on the PS4? All I can do is 'join game'. Is that the same as teaming up? Am I maybe missing something 'cuz we both selected 'appear offline' for our status?

Kuro

I really wanted to play this again but all these widows one shotting things left and right is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

Hey guys, how the hell do my friend and I team up on the PS4? All I can do is 'join game'. Is that the same as teaming up? Am I maybe missing something 'cuz we both selected 'appear offline' for our status?
Yes. You can't do invite to group unless the person is appearing online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom