• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISOM

All goes well I won't have to. It's strange to think about a world where I won't have to take Winston 80% of the time just to deal with a fuckin Genji. I could actually try other characters! This server thing will be the best thing to come to overwatch yet. Custom servers will enable me to play Overwatch the way it was meant to be played: without Genji. There's never any fun to be had when there is a Genji on the enemy team. Sure, you can win but it comes with blood and sweat and stress. Your whole team has to pick a comp just to counter a Genji.

Not really. Zen or Lucio ult nullifies Genji. A Rein saving their shatter for Genji nullifies him. Soldier saving his visor for Genji ult nullifies it. And that's without talking about his counters. I think people just don't take enough strategy into games. So many ways to nullify Genji, it just takes teamwork or a plan.

Mawile

Banned
Not when the opposing side is attacking with two Reins, two D.Vas, a Roadhog and a Mercy whilst your team has 3 Zenyattas and a couple of Anas.

Honestly, they really need to switch off hero stacking in Mystery Heroes.

What a fantastic idea. That might actually make that mode playable for me again.

Shredderi

Not really. Zen or Lucio ult nullifies Genji. A Rein saving their shatter for Genji nullifies him. Soldier saving his visor for Genji ult nullifies it. And that's without talking about his counters. I think people just don't take enough strategy into games. So many ways to nullify Genji, it just takes teamwork or a plan.

My point exactly. It many times takes a group effort to shut down this one character and most of the time on soloq the players are not up to that.

Only works if the Genji isn't pussyfooting with his team all the time, getting heals. Seeing less and less lone wolf Genjis these days.

My point exactly. It many times takes a group effort to shut down this one character and most of the time on soloq the players are not up to that.

Ive had most success taking out Genji in Solo q with Ana and Winston. Most of the time you can feel when a genji/enemy has their ult so id save the sleep dart for that. I just dont recall the last time genji was such a huge issue in my games. I dont find him any harder than a tracer or a mccree.

chur

Idk Mystery Heroes is a mode I can just mess around in. I tried doing that in QP, but apparently people take that mode seriously. It's relaxing for me.

ISOM

Ive had most success taking out Genji in Solo q with Ana and Winston. Most of the time you can feel when a genji/enemy has their ult so id save the sleep dart for that. I just dont recall the last time genji was such a huge issue in my games. I dont find him any harder than a tracer or a mccree.

Or Pharah or Roadhog. All these Heroes can dominate a game and need teamwork to plan around the really good ones sometimes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like really, if you want to talk about a hero that takes the most resources to take down and counter, that would be reinhardt.

Like really, if you want to talk about a hero that takes the most resources to take down and counter, that would be reinhardt.

Roadhog is up there too. You can engage him, but it will cost you a teammate or two. At least Rein is just absorbing your cooldown abilities.

Mawile

Banned
Pharah up there too (not the most obviously) or is it just me?

Ooo boy, yeah. lol

I guess it depends on the aiming skill, but even then when stuff is going on in a match you can't always focus target her with her aerial evasion combined with that.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Took a break from maining Pharah in Competitive to Mei

I forgot how pissed people get when you freeze them
Loved the hate mail I got lawl

She's good on Attack if your team follows your lead
I put Ice Walls at choke points in angles, so my team scooted closer to the Objective while Enemy team just got flanked hard

Kings Row is a fucking blast as Mei, just Icicle them to death, get close, get frozen lol

Also Roadhog was such a fucking ultimate battery for me, Holy Shit, I had my Ultimate way too fucking quickly just shanking him with my Icicles of Death

Love my random Reinhardt who knew I flanked and took out their Soldier causing havoc, have him Hammer Down the whole team covering the payload, me drop "Freeze Don't Move!" Ultimate, him going Ape Shit whacking away like a mad man netting him a Quad Kill and push payload to victory
God when you have smart aware players knowing what is happening and call outs that Ultimates are Ready, feels so good
Then there are those games, where Ultimate is Ready, being spammed, no acknowledge, use yours, then 10 sec laters your team starts firing them off wasting opportune time to "sync up"

By the way started seeing Sombra in Competitive, I was shocked, like you exist!
Was on enemy team, was doing one hell of a job picking up Ultimate meter jabs and call backs
Really hurts a Defending team chokepoint stonewall

Like KingsRow A objective
The enemy team we held, but just as she got that Ultimate all Hell broke loose
Rein no shield, Zarya no bubble, Ultimates locked
They pushed hard, but thank fuck for delaying them with my ice wall and freezing in the obj to bleed time until Overtime triggered and then sudden death, she got screwed out due to not having the time and coordination to repeat building up Ultimate

Smart thing team did was cover the 2 Health Pack areas right as the payload makes first turn around
Killed her three times trying to Hack lol

Is it just me or did you used to be able to escape Hooks by using reapers ghost, meis ice body, junkrats manual bomb or mcrees flashback after being hooked? It feels like the game just refuses to let you retaliate after being hooked. Because I swear you could escape post hook before?

Antiwhippy

Is it just me or did you used to be able to escape Hooks by using reapers ghost, meis ice body, junkrats manual bomb or mcrees flashback after being hooked? It feels like the game just refuses to let you retaliate after being hooked. Because I swear you could escape post hook before?

Only if the roadhog is bad, yes.

Or if the hook goes all wonky on him.

Anne

The stun time when you get hooked is the same. If Roadhog didn't kill off hook pre 2.0, he made a mechanical error.

Yukinari

Haven't spent anything, only missing Winston, Ana, Symmetera, Tracer and Junkrat skins
I never understood buying boxes
Like there will be a new event again soon enough...

I think its a waste of money

If this was like TF2 where items were easily obtainable through various means after an event was over then yeah.

But we have no idea how Blizz will handle recurring events. For all we know when the summer games comes back, and it will, that they impose something to make the original set of event items rarer. Making them cost more credits, less likely to be unboxed, etc.

Lunar New Year has some of the best skins so far. No way in hell was i gonna miss out on them and have to wait 11 months for a chance to get them again.

Skii

Genji shouldn't require a group effort. He's directly countered by Winston, Symmetra and Roadhog. Tbh, a good McCree completely shuts him down as well. He also doesn't do too well against Zarya.

Genji has a few direct counters and can be managed by other heroes as well. He's not like Roadhog who basically has no counters.

Genji shouldn't require a group effort. He's directly countered by Winston, Symmetra and Roadhog. Tbh, a good McCree completely shuts him down as well. He also doesn't do too well against Zarya.

Genji has a few direct counters and can be managed by other heroes as well. He's not like Roadhog who basically has no counters.
Widow kind of counters road hog, in that she's one of the few that can kill him without being in his range. Her high damage output also allows her to overcome his sustain, especially as he has to stop moving to heal.

Usually when I play as Reaper I tend to chip away at Roadhog fairly easily so the team can dispatch him quick if I can't finish him off.

Roadhog is funny this way, he can be rough to kill, but like...players who aren't good just kinda take a lotta damage disappear recharge and end up charging their opponents ultimates pretty quickly.

Veelk

Banned
I am so sick of seeing Soldier every. single. game. Without fail. He's in every single one. More than fucking Reinhardt or Zarya or healers or anyone.

He's overpowered. There's no other way of putting it. Not by a lot. Just a little. You can play around him to a good extent. But his assault rifle is fucking oppressive. It melts through fucking everyone.

I don't think he should have been buffed in the first place, but there were arguments to be made for it concerning the fact that he was picked more than McCree (because that's apparently a bad thing, god forbid the character requiring precision outclasses the guy spraying and praying his enemies away). So if he had to get a buff, it should have been have been half of what he got.

I used to not care for him, because he's Mr. Ordinary CoD Guy in a world full of more interesting characters than him. But now I actively loathe him.

The console aim assist benefits him disproportionately tbh. They've shown before that they are willing to do platform specific balancing, if people really don't think he's an issue on pc then they should just nerf his damage on console.

He's seriously in every game. If we don't have a soldier on our team and we're losing, it's usually pretty obvious why.

Veelk

Banned
The console aim assist benefits him disproportionately tbh. They've shown before that they are willing to do platform specific balancing, if people really don't think he's an issue on pc then they should just nerf his damage on console.

He's seriously in every game. If we don't have a soldier on our team and we're losing, it's usually pretty obvious why.

Yeah, mouse precision probably does a lot to bring McCree up to his level in terms of putting out damage. So maybe that's why PC users are okay with his zombified carcus stinking up the battlefield.

But in my experience, he's far and away the best Offense character you can have. He's incredibly obnoxious.

I wish reaper just put a shotgun shell in his skull during the initial overwatch explosion so we wouldn't have to deal with him today.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My doctor said my blood pressure is too high and I need to drastically cut my salt intake down to stop these weird head feelings I've had for a few months now.

I'm not saying the head problems were caused by Soldier 76 but I'm saying they started around the same time as his buff.

Anne

Soldier on console I don't doubt is crazy. He's a bit overtuned on PC atm, but not by much and it's for different reasons than damage.

Mawnster

Because expecting your team to stand behind your shield is pain

"Oh, look! A shield! I'm going to stand IN FRONT of it!"

Gt+be+me+at+college+gt+buying+lunch+_16c5c3b24bcad74eed7c1206b087cca7.jpg

Anne

lol wanting tank mains to exist that aren't just bootleg Roadhog players.

edit: I know y'all are out there and I love every last one of you, but everybody knows that guy exists.

made this gif just as a really quick example to show why soldier is so oppressive on consoles

1mMggyy.gif

i don't touch the right stick at all during this clip, the game literally rotates me to keep me looking at the enemies. all i'm doing is holding right, and then holding left. you can even see when the auto aim unlocks at the end of the gif.

Antiwhippy

lol wanting tank mains to exist that aren't just bootleg Roadhog players.

edit: I know y'all are out there and I love every last one of you, but everybody knows that guy exists.

Another good reason to delete roadhog from the game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd rather play Rein or Winston than either of those two but those two survive better with low heals.

like playing Winston with one healer isn't worth it in most situations unless you have Sombra hooking you up with healthpacks. And if the only healer is Mercy or Lucio? Definitely not playing Winston.

FerranMG

Is there a EU PS4 community here on Neogaf ? Would be Nice to come in Contact with more EU players.

Add me on PS4: FerranMG.
I'd like to have somebody to play competitive with. Weekdays night and random times at weekends.

Interesting day today, I was at 2955 SR after dropping from 3400 over the course of a week, I then proceeded to go on a 16 game win streak in 1 day to get to masters. I went from 3408 to 3501 off one game.

MxzH8l7.jpg

Where did you get these stats from?

Antiwhippy

Great, 2 off tanks while the supports get shredded to shit because we don't have enough cover while trying to find sightlines.

Really though I would be fine if one of the DPS would go rein and we go 3 tanks but of course they won't do that.

Veelk

Banned
made this gif just as a really quick example to show why soldier is so oppressive on consoles

1mMggyy.gif

i don't touch the right stick at all during this clip, the game literally rotates me to keep me looking at the enemies. all i'm doing is holding right, and then holding left. you can even see when the auto aim unlocks at the end of the gif.

That just depresses me.

On top of that is that precision shooting is just so much harder on console than it is on PC. McCree's single shots just don't compare to Soldier's automatic fire.

I just want Soldier to die in a fire. Is that so much to ask?

Skii

Roadhog isn't a tank lol. He doesn't do anything to mitigate damage or protect his supports/DPS like a tank should do. He just stands there throwing his hook for free kills. That's not how tanks work.

Antiwhippy

I think there's merit in him being a zoning tank because you sure as fuck don't want to be in the hook zone, but you can say that for the DPS (including defense characters).

Ramirez

Roadhog isn't a tank lol. He doesn't do anything to mitigate damage or protect his supports/DPS like a tank should do. He just stands there throwing his hook for free kills. That's not how tanks work.

I protect my supports all the time, weird.

Anne

Roadhog is a "zoning tank", yeah, but let's be real he onl exists in the DPS slot these days. If you do see a single tank along with Roadhog, it's usually a pick heavy triple DPS type deal. At least, that's how I see it.

I don't think it's a bad thing there are so few "true" tanks in the game. I don't think two tanks is required to win. I don't even think two supports is required to win. I just wish more people took the time to at least have a couple tanks on hand, especially considering they all play a lot differently.

DPS players are especially bad about this. I made it a point to learn Zarya/Winston/D.va and I'm generally pretty happy to pick them. I don't pick them nearly as often as DPS of course, but I'm ready to do it no problem. Only tank I don't play a lot is Rein and I'm in the process of picking him back up since he is so vital. The only reason I don't play him a lot is because I don't want to be liability since my mechanics on him are hot garbage :T

I protect my supports all the time, weird.

Yeah, Roadhog is some of the best protection a support can have. He just does it by murdering everything.

GeeTeeCee

Sigh, time to take another long break from Overwatch. The one mode I enjoyed, Mystery Heroes, is now plagued by quitters, players trolling, and non existent team balancing. I'm lucky if I win even 10% of matches now and it's honestly making me loathe the game.

Edit: oh and there must only be about 20 players or so active in this mode on PS4 at any one time, because I keep seeing the same players over and over again daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom