• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalflame

Does anyone have enjoying modes from PTR?

Omnix crisis is okay though i liked Human vs Predators(sombra(2) vs 6 soldier)

Eh. I just want a team deathmatch style game (6v6, any heroes, skirmish, 30m timer) to run around and fuck with, but I haven't see any of it yet. Guess I could just create my own game but .. effort :p

Shredderi

How come I can sometimes rotate the camera while watching a friend play? Then sometimes I cant? Talking about the third person camera.

Skii

I protect my supports all the time, weird.

You protect them by killing stuff like any DPS would. I'm talking about having actual abilities that mitigate damage like a 2000 HP shield or a bubble. His abilities aren't "tank" abilities.

A lot of DPS can use their abilities to protect their team. Soldier can drop a heal station for his Ana, Genji can deflect the damage from a hook combo, McCree can flash the flanker going after your Zen etc.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't really protect my healers that much with barrier unless its like a dva ult or 76 ult or something.

Maybe if the cooldown on it wasn't absurd I could use it in ways to save my team, cut LoS AND use it for dives. But because of hero stacking, I have to deal with this massive cooldown. Even though hero stacking isn't even possible in the main modes anymore.

AbaFadi

Banned
I don't really protect my healers that much with barrier unless its like a dva ult or 76 ult or something.

Maybe if the cooldown on it wasn't absurd I could use it in ways to save my team, cut LoS AND use it for dives. But because of hero stacking, I have to deal with this massive cooldown. Even though hero stacking isn't even possible in the main modes anymore.

Are you referring to Zarya barriers?

You protect them by killing stuff like any DPS would. I'm talking about having actual abilities that mitigate damage like a 2000 HP shield or a bubble. His abilities aren't "tank" abilities.

A lot of DPS can use their abilities to protect their team. Soldier can drop a heal station for his Ana, Genji can deflect the damage from a hook combo, McCree can flash the flanker going after your Zen etc.

When I'm having a good Roadhog match, I rarely die. But I take loads of damage that I heal. I mean, if I get a gold medal for healing even though we had healers means I took A LOT of damage. Ta(n)king loads of damage equals being a priority for the opponent team (not because I shield my team, it's because I'm dangerous to them) and rest of team can breath a bit.

Roadhog is a tank in my book.... with an insane damage output :)

Rizzi

Always nice when you ask one of the two snipers to change, and then they scream at you over voice chat in korean. That's fun, I guess.

Skii

When I'm having a good Roadhog match, I rarely die. But I take loads of damage that I heal. I mean, if I get a gold medal for healing even though we had healers means I took A LOT of damage. Ta(n)king loads of damage equals being a priority for the opponent team (not because I shield my team, it's because I'm dangerous to them) and rest of team can breath a bit.

Roadhog is a tank in my book.... with an insane damage output :)

And this is the absolute key misconception people have when they think Roadhog is a tank. By "tanking" that damage, you've fed a ridiculous amount of ult to the opposition team. A lot of the time, people will target Roadhog to build their ult quickly because it's impossible to miss him. But with a Reinhardt sheild, Winston bubble or a Zarya bubble, shooting into those does not build your ult at all.

And even if you make the argument that you're building ult by healing that damage, your ult is one of the weakest DPS ults in the game.

Yeah, I think I'm going to keep the game uninstalled for a couple weeks until the next season.

I love the game, but I kind of dislike the constant up and down I'm having in comp with Diamond players trying to boost their Gold and Plat friends into Diamond during the end of the season.

I had some of my worst matches ever this past week and the funk just isn't going away.

I could just play mystery heroes to chill out and wait out the season, but dropping from almost 2900 to 2500 just has me kind of salty. Won't be playing on weekends due to life getting in the way (Kappa) so I don't really have time for a long winstreak session either.

NYEeviB.jpg

why does this happen

Because Blizzard thought it was wise to make the grouping restriction as high as 1000 SR after people cried about it. They should have left it at 500.

While I have seen a lot of fallen Diamonds in my games from 2500-2800+ (currently 2700s) in the past two seasons, the majority are legitimate diamonds at 3000 or higher grouped with low golds. I run into 2-4 stacks like this all the time with multiple Diamonds and Golds and it ruins marchmaking. The other team is beefed up to try to equalize the team MMR average and the Diamonds are either worse or not much better than Platinum players so they can't carry the Gold players which tend to be considerably worse across the board.

And this is the absolute key misconception people have when they think Roadhog is a tank. By "tanking" that damage, you've fed a ridiculous amount of ult to the opposition team. A lot of the time, people will target Roadhog to build their ult quickly because it's impossible to miss him. But with a Reinhardt sheild, Winston bubble or a Zarya bubble, shooting into those does not build your ult at all.

And even if you make the argument that you're building ult by healing that damage, your ult is one of the weakest DPS ults in the game.

Good point. I have to admit, I haven't thought about that...

Edit: I could make the argument that I score much more kills than the Rein from next door, which gives enemy players a time off for 6 or so seconds where they won't build up ult at all.

rulerk1

How in the world do ppl keep letting junkrat just run all over us even when we have a zarya and a pharah. Why does no one ever target him :(

Chance

My favorite is a perfectly timed Rein charge to get her right as the ice block ends. I've done it once and it was beautiful.

I met a Rein on PS4 who could charge me out of ice block so reliably I just stopped doing it around him. Ice blocking was equivalent to jumping into the Ilios pit around him.

I met a Rein on PS4 who could charge me out of ice block so reliably I just stopped doing it around him. Ice blocking was equivalent to jumping into the Ilios pit around him.

You could always cancel block early or use it to bait him if you know he's planning to charge.

Shredderi

Played a few games with friends. All games lost once again. At this point I have to question the 50% win ratio. It must be like 39% at this point. Most games I play are losses.

Yeah, Hog is in that DPS tank niche. He slots into taking a lot of fire while self-healing a bunch and providing support by getting picks as opposed to directly nullifying damage. I see him akin to Heavy in TF2, who would be the closest equivalent that game has to a tank.

Had a real mixed bag of games last night. People bag on the weekend but hoo boy I'll take that over my last session.

Anne

I'm more or less officially on board team nerf helix and heal station. Soldier dealing high sustained damage over time? Sure. Soldier also being able to burst squishies every 8 seconds as well as be required to be burst down because of heal station? It's a bit too much.

I think focusing on his rifle damage is eh since it's required for him to be remotely competitive with other heroes, but the fact his CDs are so crazy good just means it's hard to make openings on him. He's not busted by any means at all, just a bit too good and I don't want to see other heroes have to compete with those CDs over time. Again, ti's not by much, but I think it's scary to think about everything moving towards that much burst/sustain over time.

If you nerf rifle damage it doesn't deal with the fact he still gets burst up so often and is safe to most other heroes.

AbaFadi

Banned
Had a pretty good defence with Ana after switching from soldier on attack.
Made a few mistakes here and there but luckily didn't get punished on it.

Not sure how we didn't lose the point there honestly.

Also anyone else notice it's normally soldiers who are toxic in general? Probably because they think they have to carry their rubbish teammates?

Diamond League indeed.

If that Soldier was as good as he thinks he is, he'd probably be in masters at this point with that hero. People in diamond are really toxic for sure.

Tbh I think the game's kind of tunneled towards burst damage right now due to Ana in her present state, the common notion of double healers on top of that, and contesting with a Rein shield to get your moments in between.

Anne

Tbh I think the game's kind of tunneled towards burst damage right now due to Ana in her present state, the common notion of double healers on top of that, and contesting with a Rein shield to get your moments in between.

This is only part true. Double healers came about more because healing had to be in different places and support ults/utility are too important to give up.

Ana is def a bit of a problem still, but it's not so bad post nerf. Burst damage is always gonna be there because DPS gotta confirm kills. I would prefer it if there was more risk attached to gaining health while burst damage was something that was valued higher on most heroes.

Oh well. There's still a bunch of moving things happening with the current patch we dunno enough about yet, and the amount of breathing room is huge. I just don't like having these super safe picks that enable sustain and burst being so prevalent atm.

Every time I feel like I'm getting pretty competent with McCree I completely fail at using high noon for the billionth time and feel like trash.

Owl's adventures with high noon: a choose your own ending story
There seems to be a gaggle of enemy players huddled around the same area and you've successfully snuck around the side/to high ground, you slam the button and begin IT'S HIIIIGH NOOOOON"....
a) It turns out your team actually had this covered without your help, you stroll out to a pile of corpses and look silly

b) you get shot in the face, when watching the kill cam the perpetrator who shot you was basically just looking around on a whim as opposed to actually knowing you were about to ult

c) the enemies are in a graviton surge but their soldier somehow manages to panic ult, have the sights lock directly onto you over the 5 other closer members of the team and shoots you dead before it can lock.

d) everyone gets behind cover because you suck, moments later the enemy McCree does the same thing and kills 4 plus players to rub it in

e) you fire prematurely because you don't quite understand the lock on, meanwhile you SWEAR the enemy McCree's version of high noon snaps to full killing potential in a fraction of the time.

In any case the story ends with me looking sad and silly.

AlexBasch

Got a friend who can play Sombra? Those two are an evil combination.
Nope, I play alone, but I'll definitely tag along with a Sombra player from now on. :p

Every time I feel like I'm getting pretty competent with McCree I completely fail at using high noon for the billionth time and feel like trash.
Don't give up! I was shit with High Noon as well but it kinda clicked for me after a while. Hide behind tanks or Reinhardt's shield, and about the lock on, maybe it's just me but it locks faster when I'm not that far away from enemies.

If you want to check it out for yourself, check if there's a Pharah in there, at some point she'll release her ultimate, and if you survive or happen to be far away from the missiles, you can get a feel of the lock on as you shut her down right in the sky. Maybe I'm awful at explaining myself, but it's tricky to nail that stuff down, it's great when you manage to get at least one or two kills in a go.

Chance

There seems to be a gaggle of enemy players huddled around the same area and you've successfully snuck around the side/to high ground, you slam the button and begin IT'S HIIIIGH NOOOOON"....
a) It turns out your team actually had this covered without your help, you stroll out to a pile of corpses and look silly

b) you get shot in the face, when watching the kill cam the perpetrator who shot you was basically just looking around on a whim as opposed to actually knowing you were about to ult

c) the enemies are in a graviton surge but their soldier somehow manages to panic ult, have the sights lock directly onto you over the 5 other closer members of the team and shoots you dead before it can lock.

d) everyone gets behind cover because you suck, moments later the enemy McCree does the same thing and kills 4 plus players to rub it in

e) you fire prematurely because you don't quite understand the lock on, meanwhile you SWEAR the enemy McCree's version of high noon snaps to full killing potential in a fraction of the time.

One day a Mercy will boost you while you're High Nooning and you'll get a quint. Your day will come!

AlexBasch

One day a Mercy will boost you while you're High Nooning and you'll get a quint. Your day will come!
Oh yeah this as well, I main Mercy as well and I try to stay close to McCree players when they seem to look for higher ground since they're close to release High Noon, feels good when I help someone get that stuff done right. <3

rulerk1

i like doing that with rein charge instead. seeing a helpless mei get splat on the wall :p
Sniping them as Widow is fun too.

Anne I agree his heal station is rather annoying to deal. That needs to be nerfed. He's so needed to help break a Rein shield fast that I would hate to nerf his damage
:(

Anne

My favorite thing is hitting Q on McCree and seeing people just straight drop out of team fighting for the entire duration. Here's the pro strat:

Hit Q
Enemy team scatters out of sight
cancel Q when they can't see you, there's no real notification you cancelled
when they peek after the timer is up be already there with E up

Alternatively
Hit Q
Enemy Genji runs at you with deflect up
Cancel and just murder him when his deflect is up

Deadeye baits are the realest amounts of fuckery I get up to in this game.

I play a lot of McCree. For me, High Noon is mainly a tool to force movement on the part of the enemy team, adandon a defensive position, etc. If I get kills, fantastic, but if you forced the enemy team into an unoptimal position and your team capitalizes on that, you did your job imo.

I'm confused about the math. Why 120 * (1 - 0.85)?

Surely it would be (1 * 0.65)/2

(Base Damage * 35% damage reduction)/50% nano boost damage reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom