• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilDog

He'd be pretty useless if he couldn't at least hook and kill squishy heroes. At that point what would he offer to a team?

It would make the game more fun, skillfull and balanced.

It would also require roadhog to master his primary and secondary fire, all while using the rest of his team to finish off hooked targets.

It really doesn't take much skill unless you're aiming for a Pharah.

Most roadhog get rewarded by peaking and hooking without aim. Entire areas of the map shut down by one fat character isn't fun.

And if Ana is pocketing Hog as usual it takes more than half the team to kill him.

Why is there no region lock for servers in this game? Why must I suffer through games and games of 1-trick Genji/Hanzo/Sym Koreans that I can't understand or work with (that imitate you when you speak in voice chat)? I was a game away from Diamond and now I'm back 100SR because I literally can't communicate with one to two thirds of my team depending on how "lucky" I get.

Fuck.

Xeteh

It would make the game more fun, skillfull and balanced.

It would also require roadhog to master his primary and secondary fire, all while using the rest of his team to finish off hooked targets.

It isn't like the hook locks on. If you're having that much trouble getting hooked maybe don't stand so close to the guy with the hook. What "mastery" does a close ranged shotgun take as his primary? Right clicks can one shot squishies from mid-range as well, should that be nerfed too?

Most roadhog get rewarded by peaking and hooking without aim. Entire areas of the map shut down by one fat character isn't fun.

Hooking without aim? Locked down by one character? What?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Roadhog can be super powerful but as someone who plays him a lot, and also faces him often, I feel like his flaws (range, clip size, hitbox, etc) are great enough to balance out his strengths. If I die to an enemy Hog, it's because I got too close, or ignored his super loud footsteps and let him get the drop on me. But usually if I'm playing smart, he's not a major threat.

DevilDog

It isn't like the hook locks on. If you're having that much trouble getting hooked maybe don't stand so close to the guy with the hook. What "mastery" does a close ranged shotgun take as his primary? Right clicks can one shot squishies from mid-range as well, should that be nerfed too?

nJ3LqdW.gif

Damn that's too much to handle in a single post.

It takes skill to do Hooks.

Hook has the same effect as a widow headshot. Do you see the skill imbalance between the two?

And I swear, if you bring up reindharts charge...

antitrop

Blues1990 talked me into duoing and coming out of my Competitive shell, we won all 3 games and I got POTM on all 3 (Zarya, Soldier, and Rein).

EDIT: or I should say, coming out of my QP shell and playing Competitive for the first time in over a month.

The Zarya game was crazy for a 3-0 KOTH

Blues1990

Blues1990 talked me into duoing and coming out of my Competitive shell, we won all 3 games and I got POTM on all 3 (Zarya, Soldier, and Rein).

Yeah, it was a lot of fun, man. I know it sounded like you felt abrasive towards Competitive, but I'm down to play with you in the future.

Owzers

I get team composition envy when the enemy seems to have everything in order and we are a mess. It doesn't help when a duo with one Zarya and one tracer says they can do the great combo and the other says "what combo?" I would assume they are joking but the match was a mess so maybe not.

Oh, okay. I thought you might have an actual argument instead you're just whining. My mistake.

"Clearly I shouldn't have to give a counter-argument because it's just SO obvious what's wrong with it!! Like, DUUUUuuuh!"

Some people can't make it more apparent that they've never played Roadhog. His hook isn't nearly as simple as just hitting a button and getting a free kill.

jviggy43

What level are the nerf roadhog crowd at? Just as a point of reference for how your team/you might be handling him. I can see why at disorganized lower level of play he'd seem op.

I-hate-u

I swear there is something up with Ana's hitbox. 9 times out 10 a hooked Ana won't be killed in one shot like the other 200 health heroes.

AbaFadi

Banned
What level are the nerf roadhog crowd at? Just as a point of reference for how your team/you might be handling him. I can see why at disorganized lower level of play he'd seem op.

Even at higher levels of play he's quite a nuisance. In masters/gm, everyone kinda just leaves the Roadhog alone and he kills half the team because nobody knows how to focus him. A Roadhog with 50%+ hook accuracy is really annoying to deal with. I think the nerf is justified honestly.

I-hate-u

I would've agreed if this was pre 2.0 and that was because hook didn't pull her close enough.

I still see it happening a lot post 2.0.

Also even with the cooldown nerf, I still think Roadhog's potential to change an even fight to 6v5 is too powerful. It should punish the bad ones though that miss their hooks, like me.

So I was in competitive on Volskaya and we were getting rolled a bit, not hugely but they were definitely doing better. It was 2-2 and we failed to cap first point on our final round, we had to hold them for a little over 2 minutes. I was playing Mercy, which I am comfortable with but I haven't played her in quite some time.

I get a resurrect off on two players as I fall. As I am running back to spawn (TP went up slightly too late for me to take it), suddenly their Roadhog is in my sights making his way to the point.

Cue the music! https://youtu.be/I9OJmWPItYU?t=12s

I fire because fuck it, I was having a good time and feeling ballsy. He turns around. It's on. I get about 30% damage on him, he misses his first hook. No! I dodge his first hook. I am Mercy, damage queen. He heals. As he is healing I get off a ton of crits to negate his heals. I am moving in a circle back towards A. He is very low health. His hook is back up. As he fires off his hook which is about to connect 100%, no 2.0 saving me now, my Zarya comes out of fucking nowhere and shields me. I am still alive! I fire my final shots as I hear Zarya getting slept behind me. dink-dink-dink

Roadhog is DEAD.

I turn to my Zarya, who is asleep, and see the haunting, overly colorful, smiling face of the enemy Ana who was trying to save Hog. Too late Ana. dink-dink-dink-punch!

Ana is DEAD.

I run to the point as the rest of my team cleans them up and we manage a draw. It was the most emotional 20 seconds of my life.

I swear there is something up with Ana's hitbox. 9 times out 10 a hooked Ana won't be killed in one shot like the other 200 health heroes.

Honestly as much as people say getting hooked is instant death, I've noticed a lot of times where I've hooked 200 hp heroes, blasted them right in the face, and had them live.

Mutant

I'm all for reworking Roadhog so that a hook wasn't a death sentence to anybody under 500hp because the concept of grabbing someone and putting them in a position where they're at a big disadvantage is far more interesting than just hooking them and oneshotting them. Make the mechanic more like how it's used in MOBAs.

Also you can counter Roadhog with Zarya. Bubble your caught ally, then you send your tankbuster after him if he's not in a safe position. Or you use Ana to tranq him if he lands a hook, then you jar him. And then have Ana keep jarring when he's at low health.

Roadhog is pretty damn weak when his hook is on cooldown and you're not in his alt-fire killzone.

jviggy43

Even at higher levels of play he's quite a nuisance. In masters/gm, everyone kinda just leaves the Roadhog alone and he kills half the team because nobody knows how to focus him. A Roadhog with 50%+ hook accuracy is really annoying to deal with. I think the nerf is justified honestly.

This has not been my experience at all at this level.

I'm high Platinum on PC and this isn't even remotely the case. Soldier/Tracer absolute melts him and Zarya can negate his hooks easily. A lot of players know exactly how to deal with him; bait out his hooks and then collapse on him. When his hook is on cooldown he is extremely vulnerable and easy to kill.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like it takes skill to land hooks, but not that much skill, c'mon.

You're talking about a ohk with the biggest and most generous hitbox in the game. No need to overestimate it. Sure there's travel time and prediction going on but that goes for all projectile heroes in this game.

Xeteh

Like it takes skill to land hooks, but not that much skill, c'mon.

You're talking about a ohk with the biggest and most generous hitbox in the game. No need to overestimate it. Sure there's travel time and prediction going on but that goes for all projectile heroes in this game.

No one is trying to overestimate how hard hooks are to land but some are acting like you can close your eyes and spin your mouse as you press shift and you've hooked 8 people. Can't tell you how many people run right at you, get hooked and killed then immediately complain. They're the same people that still insist Mei is too strong.

jviggy43

No one is trying to overestimate how hard hooks are to land but some are acting like you can close your eyes and spin your mouse as you press shift and you've hooked 8 people. Can't tell you how many people run right at you, get hooked and killed then immediately complain. They're the same people that still insist Mei is too strong.

I seriously want to play the team in master/grand master that gets themselves so out of position that roadhog can kill half the team.

No seriously let me play that team.

Like it or not, if a Junkrat lands a projectile shot with the same accuracy as Roadhog, he maybe does half damage to a normal health pool character.

Roadhog if he lands the same kind of projectile shot then gets a combo that kills a fair amount of the cast, on its own.

Antiwhippy

I seriously want to play the team in master/grand master that gets themselves so out of position that roadhog can kill half the team.

No seriously let me play that team.

Break rein shield because you're roadhog, then get them out of position because they no longer have rein shield.

Break rein shield because you're roadhog, then get them out of position because they no longer have rein shield.

So they're out of position because they're vulnerable to a Roadhog hook? What?

Like it or not, if a Junkrat lands a projectile shot with the same accuracy as Roadhog, he maybe does half damage to a normal health pool character.

Roadhog if he lands the same kind of projectile shot then gets a combo that kills a fair amount of the cast, on its own.

This is a false equivalence. Junkrat's projectiles dealing half damage to a normal health pool character is irrelevant in this argument because he is constantly doing damage. Roadhog may be able to 1HK a normal health pool character but barring them being right up in his face his DPS is on a 6 second cooldown. It's not even close to being the same thing.

People tend to scatter when Rein shield is broken. If you move to a little outside the usual shield range you can usually pick off a support trying to hide.

It's also not difficult to predict when a Rein will drop shield to retreat / charge shield / firestrike.

maomaoIYP

I don't have anything to say about hook 2.0 because I play a lot of Roadhog, but ever since his buff I've come across so many bad players who obviously think that playing RH will solve all their problems. And then I beat them easily in a 1v1 using Mei. So much fun!

Antiwhippy

Yes, that's what it means.

Face it, positioning against roadhog is basically to not be in the range of hook, and roadhog mains saying "but they're out of position!" need to realise that he limits your position a shitton right? The zone control he has is nearly as oppressive as widow except that he can adjust his zones far easier, it can work in close range better, and his gun still does a shitton of damage even without hook.

At some point it takes more skill to check ypur position against roadhog than for roadhog to get into position.

Not a bad compromise on Hog. Hopefully it means characters like Reaper and Mei are a bit more tricky to combo from full health, but Ana should still be instagibbed. Winston still needs his shield CD nerf from back when hero stacking was still around reverted imo.

Oh, okay. I thought you might have an actual argument instead you're just whining. My mistake.
Yeah, don't bother with him and Hog lol.

Is it just me or do Sym's turrets have a weirdly large hit box?

So large people seem to be able to shoot just vaguely near them and they explode. Or hit a wall near them and they explode.

Sometimes the RNG is real kind to me. Just got New Year D.va.
Is it just me or do Sym's turrets have a weirdly large hit box?

So large people seem to be able to shoot just vaguely near them and they explode. Or hit a wall near them and they explode.

The hitboxes on them does seem generous.

On the other hand, Sombra's ult still doesn't kill them, which seems like an oversight.

Lyng

"Clearly I shouldn't have to give a counter-argument because it's just SO obvious what's wrong with it!! Like, DUUUUuuuh!"

Some people can't make it more apparent that they've never played Roadhog. His hook isn't nearly as simple as just hitting a button and getting a free kill.

Yeah pretty much. Good players know how to counter Roadhog.

Yes, that's what it means.

Face it, positioning against roadhog is basically to not be in the range of hook, and roadhog mains saying "but they're out of position!" need to realise that he limits your position a shitton right? The zone control he has is nearly as oppressive as widow except that he can adjust his zones far easier, it can work in close range better, and his gun still does a shitton of damage even without hook.

At some point it takes more skill to check ypur position against roadhog than for roadhog to get into position.

I don't have to "face it" just because I disagree with you. His job on the battlefield is to get picks and outside of his six second hook he is effectively a sitting duck to a team that understands how to counter him (and there are MANY ways to counter him with both abilities and positioning). The people that get killed by him the most are the ones that tunnel vision on what they're doing and don't check their flanks. Even when someone does get picked by him, that Roadhog is now totally open for an attack. Just because he requires actual teamwork to take down effectively and efficiently doesn't mean he's bullshit or broken. I'm not saying you said those exact words but the notion is ridiculous all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom