• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got all skins finally. Only bought a few lootboxes. Had enough leftover to buy the Tracer intro and I have everything from the event. I wasn't as lucky during the Christmas one but I'm happy I got everything this time

Jellie

Got dced but when I rejoin team had already taken A. Feels good.
And a hanzo that ulted in to my grav everyone in the game after and a mercy afterwards who rezzed every time we got wiped.
Good stuff.

I did heal a lot in those games thanks to transcendence. It'll probably go down if I play more than 10 games :p

Ah, true, true. I think also as people move out of the triple tank meta it's more likely that heals per minute will go down a tad. Still, it's a good start :)

when you DPS Ana
bBRQZlJ.png

M3E4ATE.png

feelsgoodman

On Volskaya we won on Attack fairly easily..then on Defense we had no dps so i switched and Ana would be our solo heal. For someone who barely plays Soldier I did ok...we won...and I got back exactly as much SR as I'd lost from Numbani match earlier. It's back on :)

Anne

I play QP with my gf who is in plat, so we often times end up around that level. The amount of toxicity that I get at character select is astounding.

"McCree is too bad to carry"

"We get it, you're MLG Genji weeb. Don't ruin the game"

"Symmetra is unbeatable I guess"

Is that really common? lol Shit is wild to me.

LiK

I play QP with my gf who is in plat, so we often times end up around that level. The amount of toxicity that I get at character select is astounding.

^ what's your Bnet? I'm on PC now, we can finally play QP together.

Skii

Yes and your entire team will throw before the match has started because of you not picking Soldier as DPS basically. It's fine for you to carry as you're GM level but for those of us trying to get to the next rank, it feels extremely difficult to carry.

Blues1990

Unfortunately, you will come across these types when you transition to the higher brackets. ("Don't use Tracer. She's terrible." "Zenyatta is horrible against tanks." "He's using Sombra. I'm throwing the game.")

Anne

^ what's your Bnet? I'm on PC now, we can finally play QP together.

Annebot#1616

Yes and your entire team will throw before the match has started because of you not picking Soldier as DPS basically. It's fine for you to carry as you're GM level but for those of us trying to get to the next rank, it feels extremely difficult to carry.

I mean, I think even somebody at that same skill level can carry on other DPS :T I just didn't know the preconceptions about characters were that strong.

Unfortunately, you will come across these types when you transition to the higher brackets. ("Don't use Tracer. She's terrible." "Zenyatta is horrible against tanks." "He's using Sombra. I'm throwing the game.")

I do play ta higher ranks and this is not true. Every now and then somebody picks an off pick, but people usually let it rock a bit until they start talking about switching. People also don't complain about OP stuff either, they just switch to what can beat it. It's why I'm so surprised.

Geneijin

If you witness some of my comp matches I've been in, it's just- yeah...

Blues1990

I do play ta higher ranks and this is not true. Every now and then somebody picks an off pick, but people usually let it rock a bit until they start talking about switching. People also don't complain about OP stuff either, they just switch to what can beat it. It's why I'm so surprised.

I guess it's different for everyone, but this has been the case for me.

Had a match on Route 66 with a lot of very angry Lithuanians (or so they said in Team Chat), includinga Soldier who refused to shoot Rein's shield or Pharah/Mercy. The fact we only lost 4-3 rather than getting somewhat stomped felt surprising.

nOoblet16

Playing against gold/plat in previous season and then being in bronze matches this season thanks to solo queue placement the quality difference is stark !

There are people in bronze who still get annoyed at picking offense heroes on Defense. Would have been better if offense heroes were classed as DPS in the game instead which they actually are.

nOoblet16

Why don't you duo?
For placements ? Well I never did placements when the season started and by now everyone I play with was already Gold/Plat so had to solo queue. What's worse is that I am stuck playing solo queue now since my rank is too low to play with other guys.

I could play with a team made up of low Golds and have a better time but it's difficult to find people so that the AVG skill is within 1000SR. I am around 1400 atm

A big reason why Rainbow Six is my primary MP game instead of Overwatch is because with Siege I can constantly play with a full squad but can't in Overwatch leading to worse matches. Quick Play on the other hand is too casual for me to have fun since unlike Siege there is quite a big difference in gameplay/style between competitive and non competitive.

LiK

For placements ? Well I never did placements when the season started and by now everyone I play with was already Gold/Plat so had to solo queue. What's worse is that I am stuck playing solo queue now since my rank is too low to play with other guys.

I could play with a team made up of low Golds and have a better time but it's difficult to find people so that the AVG skill is within 1000SR. I am around 1400 atm

yea, you can still duo for placements. i think the limit is if someone was in Diamond and above then they can't join altho i forget. how is it in Bronze? is it as bad as they say?

nOoblet16

yea, you can still duo for placements. i think the limit is if someone was in Diamond and above then they can't join altho i forget. how is it in Bronze? is it as bad as they say?
It's fuckin terrible. Full of people who only pick one character, people who always pick heroes that get counterpicked, people who always want others to switch to tank/support but won't do it themselves.

I play McCree and I can't play him cause I am often the one willing to switch to tank/support. And the only tank I can play is Roadhog and only support I can play is Ana...So there will often be people who will be like "we need a rein!" but won't do it themselves. I can tell if we are going to win or lose a match within first 30 seconds and tell them if you don't change or switch plans we will lose...No one answers and at the end someone will just say fuck you guys...And leave.

Anne

I wonder if they're going to change some ranking tier stuff with Season 4. My purely anecdotal experience is that I stop looking at what tier people are in rather than just what the SR number is. Like seeing somebody with a Master rank right now just makes me check the number, since from my experience there seems to be a very noticeable change from around 3800+.

Whatever it is is kinda wishy washy. I think the biggest indicator is how people have these wild swings worth hundreds of SR day to day sometimes. I don't think that should be happening? I don't think it has a lot to do with streaks either, more with the behind the scenes SR prediction they have going on.

Also decay kicks in way too hard. The fact I went from 3800 to 3k in like 2 weeks, and then just got myself back up to 3800 in less than a week is kind of a farce. IF they're just going to dump me with 100+ SR a win due to confidence score, why the fuck would you put me in a tier against other people clearly below my skill level? It's just a useless grind for me and unfair for other people.

Jellie

I think I have just had the worst mercy experience.
45 seconds left on dorado, one fight left with 1m left to push for the enemy, our mercy has rez.
Enemy team uses all their ults in that push.
What happens next?
a) She gets killed off first because she didn't hide?
b) She goes battle mercy and dies?
c) She gets the rez off but we die anyway?
d) She goes to answer the door and dies?

The answer is
d

All it takes is one "I'm just here to have fun" guy to fuck things up for whole team.

That's sort of my mentality every game, now I'm at Diamond, but I absolutely still try to do my best and help the team win. It's the people who pick Hanzo and say they can take down a Rein's shield/have fun where I twitch nervously.

My experience getting closer to Diamond.

Yeah, I had that, quite a bit. Yoyo'ing my SR, quite a bit.

Kysen

I think I have just had the worst mercy experience.
45 seconds left on dorado, one fight left with 1m left to push for the enemy, our mercy has rez.
Enemy team uses all their ults in that push.
What happens next?
a) She gets killed off first because she didn't hide?
b) She goes battle mercy and dies?
c) She gets the rez off but we die anyway?
d) She goes to answer the door and dies?

The answer is
d
I knew it would be D lol

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Had an actually decent experience over the weekend. Went something like 7-3 and only ran into one asshole. People were actually talking on voice chat and were willing to discuss composition swaps without yelling at each other.

Skii

Just lost a game with Jellie because our Mercy had to go answer the door lmfao. I'm never expecting a res from a Mercy again. There is literally no point expecting them to be anything other than brain dead.

I'm sorry to the Mercy mains on this thread. I'm very salty right now

I mean, I think even somebody at that same skill level can carry on other DPS :T I just didn't know the preconceptions about characters were that strong.

Yeah sure I could try to carry but when your whole team is tilted at your non-Soldier pick and has changed to a troll comp, you can't really do anything about it unless you're GM level.

nOoblet16

I wonder if they're going to change some ranking tier stuff with Season 4. My purely anecdotal experience is that I stop looking at what tier people are in rather than just what the SR number is. Like seeing somebody with a Master rank right now just makes me check the number, since from my experience there seems to be a very noticeable change from around 3800+.

Whatever it is is kinda wishy washy. I think the biggest indicator is how people have these wild swings worth hundreds of SR day to day sometimes. I don't think that should be happening? I don't think it has a lot to do with streaks either, more with the behind the scenes SR prediction they have going on.

Also decay kicks in way too hard. The fact I went from 3800 to 3k in like 2 weeks, and then just got myself back up to 3800 in less than a week is kind of a farce. IF they're just going to dump me with 100+ SR a win due to confidence score, why the fuck would you put me in a tier against other people clearly below my skill level? It's just a useless grind for me and unfair for other people.
I personally find ranking in overwatch to be unfair. Once you are done with placements you are basically stuck in that tier no matter how much you or your team improves unless you are close to the next rank already because it requires a lot of wins to climb but not a lot of losses to come down. Once you come down it also means you get shitter matches leading to more losses and more rank loss...it's perpetual. This fact that you can go lower than your tier and the fact that losses are more severe is what makes it unforgiving. Wins against better ranks also doesn't seem to be weighted more than wins against same/lower tier teams. I think this is important because the odds are so much against you already so some advantages that work in your favour like better rewards when you win against better teams make it fair in the end.

In comparison I find the ranking system in games like Halo 5 or Rainbow Six Siege more appropriate. In Halo you can never go below the tier you are at, you can drop within the tiers (Gold 3 to Gold 1 and so) but never go lower than the current tier and climbing up is simply a matter of winning against teams that are ranked at or above your level where wins against better teams are rewarded more. Rainbow Six Siege is sort of similar. There is a reason why Overwatch is the only game where I find ranked matches annoying despite there being other games that rely just as much on team coordination and gameplan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom