• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Rein requires teamwork to be able to carry. A good Rein with a good team is near unbeatable. A good Rein with a bad team is pretty beatable.

This.

Rein on a bad team will not change the game at all. He's too slow, no range, and is just a distraction. If the other team is set up, he's not going to be able to do anything.

As said, Soldier, Roadhog, and a few others are self-reliant. They can harass, heal, and create some openings. It's why it's always painful to have an insta lock soldier on my team who sucks.

And depending on the map and Team, I like Pharah a lot too. Largely because she is very good at just knocking groups around. If the other team groups up, she is the best at separating it or causing a bit of cause for your team to make a move into.

TheOddOne

Yeah, I finally got my first Hanzo in comp. Needless to say, he worked pretty much against the team. Nobody on point, not even the enemy team. Hanzo, instead of capping, goes to enemy spawn.

Anne

after watching many pro matches i think the one differentiator between people with very good aim and positioning and pros is team work.

like some of the stuff pro genjis do nobody would ever do in a real game because nobody would be there to back them up, but in pro matches genji can run around with 22/200hp and not sweat it because they know that ana will be keeping them alive

it's pretty cool tbh

You don't even have to be pro level, it's just how it happens once people get good enough and are decently coordinated.

I don't think lower level support players realize how huge a difference it makes to save CDs and heal in clutch situations. A 4k SR Ana player won't even think about healing me with Genji as I fly around the map and murder people, and they save things like nade to help a clutch fight. A 3K SR Ana player will just be like "how do you expect me to heal you when you're flipping around like that."

It's a good feeling when you have two top tier support players and you feel like you have infinite life whenever a big team fight goes down. That takes a load of skill to do while also pumping out your own damage and utility though. I don't wanna shit on support players, but I really wonder if they know how massive the gulf of difference is.

After tanking my rank from 2400 to 2100 after a particularily bad loss streak, I've clawed my way back up to 2419.

Hoping to make plat since I was plat the past two seasons. I had 4 wins in a row last night so I'm about to hit the streak...

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I don't wanna shit on support players, but I really wonder if they know how massive the gulf of difference is.
We know. Of course we know. We're watching people's health all the time and know what pro players can do with those same characters.

I blame myself every time I miss an Ana shot that a better player would have landed, and then someone dies as a result. I don't play Ana anymore because I just feel miserable when I play her.

You don't even have to be pro level, it's just how it happens once people get good enough and are decently coordinated.

I don't think lower level support players realize how huge a difference it makes to save CDs and heal in clutch situations. A 4k SR Ana player won't even think about healing me with Genji as I fly around the map and murder people, and they save things like nade to help a clutch fight. A 3K SR Ana player will just be like "how do you expect me to heal you when you're flipping around like that."

It's a good feeling when you have two top tier support players and you feel like you have infinite life whenever a big team fight goes down. That takes a load of skill to do while also pumping out your own damage and utility though. I don't wanna shit on support players, but I really wonder if they know how massive the gulf of difference is.
So Ana shouldn't bother to heal the Genji in that situation? I'm a horrible Ana and don't pick her primarily because I can't "snipe heal" very well.

Jellie

So Ana shouldn't bother to heal the Genji in that situation? I'm a horrible Ana and don't pick her primarily because I can't "snipe heal" very well.
I think it means they don't have to think to heal a flying genji. Not that they shouldn't. They're just good enough where it's not a problem.

Though saying 3k Ana's can't heal a flying genji is probably generalising them. While I may miss a few shots I wouldn't be thinking that I can't hit them.

Anne

You should is what I'm saying. It's not hard to do.

I don't wanna generalize too much, I think I'm just hella jaded about it. I get/see a lot of "well what else can I to do to climb as support" and then play with those people while they don't heal nearly as well as they need to climb :T

Healing/Tanking is a skillset much rarer to come across in general though. Any bozo like me who has played shooters for a long time generally can DPS decently. No other game really prepares you for what to do as a tank/healer in this game.

Healing/Tanking is a skillset much rarer to come across in general though. Any bozo like me who has played shooters for a long time generally can DPS decently. No other game really prepares you for what to do as a tank/healer in this game.

This is completely true. Even moreso when moving between tiers and sections within them. Things you can get away with in low master will get you blown up at 3750ish and above, as I'm learning right now. It is a bit harder to make it back to that point myself, as I'm playing with Anne and our group SR is about 3800+ when we play, and I am usually between 3600-3700 atm. So it's harder to rank up as much just due to the games involving top 500's and pros. But I am winning a decent amount at that SR, even though there is a lot of learning going on for me at that point. So I'm having to learn to adapt and improve my game.

Also, make sure that you are trying to learn how to improve your play every day.

I ran an experiment the other night wherein I played games where I didn't personally try to shot call and make call outs on enemy positions as much myself; wouldn't you know it, I dropped 300 sr that night (making it back pretty easily now, so I'm not worried about that). I wasn't trying to throw, but just trying to gauge where my individual strengths lie atm. This helped me to realize that is one of the biggest reasons why I am able to consistently climb back up and even struggle to victory vs top 500's and gm's. But the point of this is that you have to take it upon yourself to shotcall if you are going to be successful in any possible way as tank\support. Don't count on someone else doing it, especially in solo queue.

Edit: Also, don't fucking play past 2am central on the weekends. Don't fucking do it. People are trash, and the matchmaking is worse lol.

See, I'm learning :>

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
You should is what I'm saying. It's not hard to do.

I don't wanna generalize too much, I think I'm just hella jaded about it. I get/see a lot of "well what else can I to do to climb as support" and then play with those people while they don't heal nearly as well as they need to climb :T

Aren't you being too hard on people then? You're saying yourself that it's hard to do and it takes a lot of skill. People need to play more to get that skill, and here you are saying that everyone who can't easily land those quickscope-across-the-map-on-jumping-Genji shots sucks at the game.

If people need to practice to get better, then that's fine. Sometimes people just need to practice. But don't talk down on them and act like landing those shots should be easy.

Anne

I'm not saying they suck, I'm saying when they ask themselves "why am I not climbing" they should look at their mechanics and macro. Instead I get a lot of support players saying "I just do my job and my DPS don't kill anything". It's not everybody, I just see a lot. I have mad respect for good tank and support players because honestly I'm only good at like 1 tank and 1 support because I don't have that general skill set down.

AbaFadi

Banned
I'm not saying they suck, I'm saying when they ask themselves "why am I not climbing" they should look at their mechanics and macro. Instead I get a lot of support players saying "I just do my job and my DPS don't kill anything". It's not everybody, I just see a lot. I have mad respect for good tank and support players because honestly I'm only good at like 1 tank and 1 support because I don't have that general skill set down.

Can't really speak for support, but a lot of playing tanks effectively really just has to do with positioning. A Zarya who positions herself well will be high charge often. A Reinhardt who has good positioning won't die when his shield breaks, get earthshattered or charged all the time, etc. I used to watch videos of how pro players would play tanks and how they positioned themselves, and it definitely helped a lot. Watch a Reinhardt who's in diamond and below, and then watch one in masters/gm, and see the difference in their movement and positioning.

I wouldn't say losing fights all the time is the DPS players fault like many believe. If you're playing tank and you're not giving the DPS enough space to work with, then you might not be doing your job as tank as effectively as you can be.

wow, i thought this was a game played for FUN. yikes

I don't think he means it like that.

It's impossible to play competitive games with friends if there's a 1000 point gap.

I've not been able to play competitively with a couple of my friends this season because they placed so low. It's bollocks.

Owzers

Playing Ana is disheartening, I'll sleep an ulting soldier and declare victory then throw a grenade into someone's back, and miss half my shots. PS4 of course, I've been tinkering with my sensitivity, went from 50/50 to 60/60 to 70/70 but I can't keep up with people's movements and am now going too quickly left and right of targets and I can't heal flying pharah or genjis.

AaronMT86

Wishlist enhancement for Reinhardt: allow free camera rotate while holding force barrier forward so I know if I'm wasting my time tanking for nothing

Playing Ana is disheartening, I'll sleep an ulting soldier and declare victory then throw a grenade into someone's back, and miss half my shots. PS4 of course, I've been tinkering with my sensitivity, went from 50/50 to 60/60 to 70/70 but I can't keep up with people's movements and am now going too quickly left and right of targets and I can't heal flying pharah or genjis.

Are you having issues with scoped shots or unscoped (both)? I've been toying with my sensitivity/aim assist as well, haven't found anything that felt "good" for me to use, both Ana/Widow are handled very oddly on console's and I can't put my finger on it.

Right now using 29h/20v, 68relative sens, 80AA...

nOoblet16

I don't even know why anyone would use scope with Ana for heals unless someone really needs a heal and is really far away hiding, the hitbox is pretty damn generous and even if you miss the firerate is high enough to just spam. Because of the generous hitbox most of the time the shot would end up hitting someone else if you are trying to heal someone close to other players.

This is on PC ofc

ohkay

I don't even know why anyone would use scope with Ana for heals unless someone really needs a heal and is really far away hiding, the hitbox is pretty damn generous and even if you miss the firerate is high enough to just spam. Because of the generous hitbox most of the time the shot would end up hitting someone else if you are trying to heal someone close to other players.

This is on PC ofc
Because it's hitscan when scoped so the heal is instant, and also missing any heals can be the difference between someone living and dying. But in the end, for me at least, it depends on range

Jellie

This is on PC ofc
Depends on your positioning. If you are further away you have a better view of the area to see flankers and who needs heals. Can also heal smaller characters when tanks are all over your screen if you are scoped from far. Plus in clutch situations where you can't afford to miss.

nOoblet16

Because it's hitscan when scoped so the heal is instant, and also missing any heals can be the difference between someone living and dying. But in the end, for me at least, it depends on range

Depends on your positioning. If you are further away you have a better view of the area to see flankers and who needs heals. Can also heal smaller characters when tanks are all over your screen if you are scoped from far. Plus in clutch situations where you can't afford to miss.

As I said already unless someone is really far away I don't see the point. In midfights where I am near my team or at mid distance I'd rather use unscoped since I can track my targets better and hit more shots than I could with scoped.

Owzers

Are you having issues with scoped shots or unscoped (both)? I've been toying with my sensitivity/aim assist as well, haven't found anything that felt "good" for me to use, both Ana/Widow are handled very oddly on console's and I can't put my finger on it.

Right now using 29h/20v, 68relative sens, 80AA...
Both, it feels even worse scoped, doesn't seem like it's just 30/30 if it's half of 60/60, seems kinda jerky.

I'm on a three game win streak, nows the time to test new characters.

Jellie

As I said already unless someone is really far away I don't see the point. In midfights where I am near my team or at mid distance I'd rather use unscoped since I can track my targets better and hit more shots than I could with scoped.

My accuracy with both is pretty similar so I don't prefer any of the other. If nearby then its not great to scope of course since you don't have a good view scoped if half your screen is taken up by reinhardt.

Grief.exe

Wishlist enhancement for Reinhardt: allow free camera rotate while holding force barrier forward so I know if I'm wasting my time tanking for nothing

In the ARMA series, a hardcore millsim on PC, you hold alt and then can turn your head with the mouse to see ~300° around the player.

This might not be possible due to the lack of inputs on console.

ohkay

You might need to work on your scoped accuracy then. Like Jellie, my unscoped and scoped accuracy are roughly the same (both around 70%) so I don't really prefer one over the other, I just pick what will work better in the situation

Twookie

i am starting to hate the comp community so much now

some dude disregarded anything i had to say because i had a "foreigner" voice and told me to do something useful this game even though i was the solo healer

lost 80 sr that game too

was 3k yesterday, now i'm 2.6 something

why am i still playing this game

Can't really speak for support, but a lot of playing tanks effectively really just has to do with positioning. A Zarya who positions herself well will be high charge often. A Reinhardt who has good positioning won't die when his shield breaks, get earthshattered or charged all the time, etc. I used to watch videos of how pro players would play tanks and how they positioned themselves, and it definitely helped a lot. Watch a Reinhardt who's in diamond and below, and then watch one in masters/gm, and see the difference in their movement and positioning.

I wouldn't say losing fights all the time is the DPS players fault like many believe. If you're playing tank and you're not giving the DPS enough space to work with, then you might not be doing your job as tank as effectively as you can be.
Do you have videos of the top players? I'd like to see it.

Anne

Could you find Zarya, Reina and Ana please?

Mickie Zarya - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQyUuFvp2h8

Chips Ana https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFOZRTnFUQg

Honestly? Just pop their names into youtube and find the people who ripped their streams.

Ryujehong is the best Ana in the world and he has /tons/ of stream rips out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwHiv1acp34&t=152s

Defense Tracer?

That's the same as offense Tracer tbh. She just hangs around and pokes and when the enemy team commits to takign space she can be on whatever flanks she wants. Try looking up SoOn. Calvin also plays her a lot and is mad good, he streams frequently on twitch.tv/aimbotcalvin.

Anne

Thanks. Who would be the best rein to watch?

Cocco (EnVyUs), Reinforce(Misfits), Miro (Lunatic Hai), Panker (Kongdoo Uncia), Skipjack are some of my faves. They all play him a little differently.

Panker is probably the most fun one to watch that isn't talked about a whole lot honestly.

ohkay

That's the same as offense Tracer tbh. She just hangs around and pokes and when the enemy team commits to takign space she can be on whatever flanks she wants. Try looking up SoOn. Calvin also plays her a lot and is mad good, he streams frequently on twitch.tv/aimbotcalvin.
Calvin's always playing Zarya or Ana whenever I watch :<

Anne

Calvin's always playing Zarya or Ana whenever I watch :<

RIP. Tracer is my favorite hero so I do keep an eye out for good ones. Like I said, SoOn is probably the best Tracer playing the game no contest right now. He's absurd. My favorite Korean player for her atm is actually Sayaplayer from Meta Athena, but it's hard to find vids of him playing since he's from such a small team :T

Anne

Who's a good pro Zen?

Chipshajen (EnVyUs), Unkoe (Rogue), Custa (Fnatic), Dummy (NRG), Roolf (Cloud9)

I dunno about Korean Zens really. Don't see them that often, just back in Zen meta I remember all these guys being pretty good.

I can just make a list later of who to watch in all the heroes if I need to. It'd be pretty easy to make.

nOoblet16

I find it amazing that people who have close to 100 hours in the game still do stuff like pick the most useless hero for a game when they are primary DPS. When enemy team doesn't die the rest of the team feels like they are constantly under fire, that's a sign of DPS not doing their job well. I know it's not us but him because anyone who doesn't respond to team call outs because "fuck random people" is the culprit.

My accuracy with both is pretty similar so I don't prefer any of the other. If nearby then its not great to scope of course since you don't have a good view scoped if half your screen is taken up by reinhardt.

You might need to work on your scoped accuracy then. Like Jellie, my unscoped and scoped accuracy are roughly the same (both around 70%) so I don't really prefer one over the other, I just pick what will work better in the situation
When you are mostly mid range and sometimes short range (how I usually play Ana) it is definitely harder to track with scoped due to lower FoV that's just how it is. I have higher scoped accuracy (close to 80%) than unscoped it's just that I don't use scoped much as I don't feel like unscoped is hindering my ability to heal, my playstyle considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom