• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Blizzard really aren't in a hurry to follow their events ending date huh? It was the same with the Xmas one. Not complaining of course, but still weird.

Cappa

Banned
I see. Do I have to do another set of 10 matches to be ranked again for Season 3? Or does it change after the first 10?

If youve done the 10 placement matches, you have already been ranked for Season 3.

It has placed you based on where it thinks you should be which for generally everyone, it was a bit lower than your Season 2 rank. Your first matches will be easier to climb as you will be gaining more SR for wins and not losing much SR for losses. After that, you will gain and lose SR "normally."

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Blizzard really aren't in a hurry to follow their events ending date huh? It was the same with the Xmas one. Not complaining of course, but still weird.

Well the event is over Date wise, but usually they always give a little leeway for people to at least grab something through earned/purchasable before it goes away

Its nice they give you till like 1pm-3pm EST of the following day as a buffer

Got 5 boxes through 9 Arcade wins, 2 through leveling up, 3 from Arcade
Was hoping to net Winston, didn't, don't want to burn 3000 CR for it, so that skin will be not gotten

Did get Ana one, Tracer Intro as the final 2 LNY stuff

Missing from this event for me is

Junkrat, Symm, Tracer, Winston skin, roughly 5250 CR, have 12,000CR, rather stockpile CR for future events, only Winston hurts a little, but I don't main him, mostly only play through mystery heroes
Mercy Intro
Some player sprays

Everything else I have, which is sweet, $0 spent on loot boxes
So LiK how much did you burn $$ and what are ye missing

Wanna compare

I netted myself the 3 aracade boxes all 3 weeks
So 9 right there, with a freebee and 1 CTF win that's 11
Then at least 2-3 boxes a day for the event everyday
So say roughly 40-45 boxes there
Total for event 51-56 boxes

Anne

So, things just happened.

Kongdoo Uncia are in play offs if they can win a single game against C9.

AF Blue is 1-1 and has to play CONBOX Spirit who is 0-2. They are pretty weak.

C9 is 1-1, and they have to play Kongdoo Uncia who is 2-0 and one of the flat out best Korean teams. KDU already beat AF Blue pretty hard.

Long story short, C9 has to pull off a stupid upset even for a chance at playoffs now. It's looking pretty bad for them.

ISOM

So, things just happened.

Kongdoo Uncia are in play offs if they can win a single game against C9.

AF Blue is 1-1 and has to play CONBOX Spirit who is 0-2. They are pretty weak.

C9 is 1-1, and they have to play Kongdoo Uncia who is 2-0 and one of the flat out best Korean teams. KDU already beat AF Blue pretty hard.

Long story short, C9 has to pull off a stupid upset even for a chance at playoffs now. It's looking pretty bad for them.

What did C9 do wrong? I thought they played really well at times. It just seems like they couldn't close out a lot of fights.

Anne

Does the kr teams play different comps than NA/EU?

Ish. They use similar comps, but favor certain characters a bit more. Historically characters like Genji, D.Va, Winston, etc. are picked a lot more in Korea. They tend to like more aggressive heroes and dive comps, and they tend to rely on more teamwork while NA/EU tend to rely more on solo play makers.

What did C9 do wrong? I thought they played really well at times. It just seems like they couldn't close out a lot of fights.

They have a team of playmakers. Gods, Mendo, Surefour are all DPS players that tend to operate in big swings. If you watched the fights they lost, it basically came down to those guys being too far apart and staggering their ult usage poorly. Then Adam (C9's Lucio) would just have these poor ults too. I'm willing to bet those ults Adam did had to do with that bad communication and team wide ult management in general. It just feels like their entire DPS Squad is on a different wavelength to the rest of the team. Surefour and Gods have /always/ had this problem with whatever roster they are on.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
How the fuck did c9 lose to a one-trick team like af blue.

The gibralter match was so hilariously messy from both sides.

Anne

They are also playing against Flash Lux. They're considered to be the weakest team in Korea, if not just based on their circumstances. Half of their players were just out of PC Bangs, and they had no sponsor. Their equipment was like 3$ accessories that kept breaking on stage.

Somebody stepped in so they have a sponsor now and are being more taken care of, but they're still really far out of their depth. It is impressive they made it this far considering the circumstances though.

made me laugh:
9vjr5Yt.png

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member
Finally got enough cash together to buy the Tracer event skin. Lost count of the amount of rounds of Charge! I played over the last few days.

Been a good event though and I've enjoyed the latest season. I'm hoping they aren't gonna massively nerf everyone's SR again after placements for season 4 - anyone know if they've said anything about that yet?

Vitanimus

Anyone got any tips for Widowmaker besides git gud? Trying to stop playing somewhat seriously and just play whoever I feel like but I hate being "that guy" in QP that instapicks widow that I usually leave for.

Anne

Early AM queue things: Being at 4050 with a 4200 on my team along with a 3200 and 3100 that play Widow and Sombra. They actually did really nice and the 4200 guy did shot calling, but that was a record scratch moment.

Anyone got any tips for Widowmaker besides git gud? Trying to stop playing somewhat seriously and just play whoever I feel like but I hate being "that guy" in QP that instapicks widow that I usually leave for.

It's all aim and positioning. She's usually about 10x better on attack than defense, because you can pick before fights start and winning fights on offense means a lot more. So like, try to position for early picks and use those long odd angles. Also, she's really momentum heavy. The longer ults build up while Widow is in play, the worse she is. Even if you are the lord god Widow, don't be afraid to switch. Treat hook CD as an ult basically. You really only want to use it if you are 100% sure you're not going to get murdered in the next 12 seconds. Like, use it early to get your spot, sure, but past that it is very precious.

The hook cd thing is one thing that definitely helped me. I've started only using it in emergencies, instead positioning using stairs and other "normal" routes wherever it's possible. It's helped a lot with surviving ambushes.

Shahadan

I hadn't bothered playing this event, just tried CTF, saw Sombra capture a flag and instantly teleport at base and win. Sounds balanced.

LiK

I hadn't bothered playing this event, just tried CTF, saw Sombra capture a flag and instantly teleport at base and win. Sounds balanced.

basically people can get stomped if they can't defend the rush. it's pretty fun with a good team that knows what they're doing.

hypernima

Banned
That feeling when a Mei on your team Ice Walls a Earthshattered team with your TAC visor up...

Pretty much cost us the game because they regained their defense.

LiK

I think they should make Widow's hook has a shorter cool down, it'll help her survivability greatly.

I have to disagree from the recent games I played over the past few weeks. I feel like good Widows are pretty hard to kill already.

Azoor

Making Widow more survivable would make a lot of other players less happy. I don't see that happening.

But I think she is just too easy of a target to a lot of heroes in my humble opinion ,she should be more viable and not too hard to deal with.

ISOM

But I think she is just too easy of a target to a lot of heroes in my humble opinion ,she should be more viable and not too hard to deal with.

She is viable. I see a lot of top tier Widows do just fine with the current cooldown. I often think of a case with people who complain about her needing a buff is that they should "git gud". If you did decrease it, what would happen is that the bad Widows would stay bad but the good Widows would even be more annoying to deal with. She's the one hero who people say the most that they would stop playing Overwatch if she became better than what she is now.

Azoor

She is viable. I see a lot of top tier Widows do just fine with the current cooldown. I often think of a case with people who complain about her needing a buff is that they should "git gud". If you did decrease it, what would happen is that the bad Widows would stay bad but the good Widows would even be more annoying to deal with. She's the one hero who people say the most that they would stop playing Overwatch if she became better than what she is now.

I see, I understand now.

A really good widow is so much trouble, I've started focusing them on sight if I can just to be safe.

LiK

Fucking hate Widows especially when I'm playing squshies like Tracer and Zen. Those one shot kills from Widows are even more infuritating than from Hanzos. This is mainly from QP and Arcade. I assume Widows in Comp are still not as common.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Okay, last night was some fucking bullshit.

I was in a team of 3 people who were all roughly silver-ish rank, and we were grouped up with another few bronze-to-silver people, and were put up against a full 6-stack that included two diamonds and one plat person. One of the diamond people was a Tracer who was obviously way better than us and just cut us to pieces. I tried to defend our supports against her as best I could, got her a few times, but obviously couldn't shut her down. At the same time, the rest of the group beat the shit out of us.

Then one of the people on my team goes to give me shit for not doing enough damage as Soldier because "blah blah blah I'm doing gold damage you should be doing more why are you not doing more damage etc etc" well, I'm trying to fucking shoot Tracer because no one except me and the healers are doing anything about her. If you want me to spam shots at the larger targets in the group all day then I can do that and get gold damage too - and I do do that when I'm not dealing with flankers - but then Tracer would run unopposed on us.

Did I make the right decision? I don't think Tracer should be ignored so I always tried to fight her off whenever she showed up. The whole game was a complete wash for us either way, because the other team was just way better (did those diamonds deliberately drop rank or something to queue with their silver friends? I didn't think people were allowed to queue with people over 1000 sr apart), but I feel like the amount of shit I got for "not doing damage as Soldier" and later switching to McRee to try to flashbang Tracer was completely unjustified.

Fuck that game. Fuck this game for that fucking matchup.

Azoor

Fucking hate Widows especially when I'm playing squshies like Tracer and Zen. Those one shot kills from Widows are even more infuritating than from Hanzos. This is mainly from QP and Arcade. I assume Widows in Comp are still not as common.

When I play Zen, the heroes I fear the most are Widow and Sombra, Sombra's hack especially can devastate Zen.

AbaFadi

Banned

On PC yes, PS4 no.

Jellie

When your soldier can't kill the pharah so switches to junkrat on attack and the zen, lucio duo queue ult at the same time during a push.

I still find Hanzo one shots more irritating cus at least Widow has to aim. Hanzo is just like "I was looking in your general direction and let go of R2, headshot plz"

rulerk1

any else feel like road hog has too much health for what he does? If you don't have a soldier or zen (god forbid a junkrat) it takes forever to kill him. He moght even hook and kill someone during it too

Widowmaker will never really be a strong character on consoles I don't think. Yet there she is, in every single game. Even those 3v3 eliminations.

It's incredible really.

I've still not seen a good Widow on the Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom