• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I don't have access to PTR so I don't know how good/bad Bastion is, but the statements make me anxious.

For one, I now hear his recon mode gun is very reminiscent of Soldier's. See, that's already a bad sign. We don't need another Soldiers. In fact, we could easily lose the one we have and the game wouldn't be worse for it.

For another, the ironclad sounds like it can be hell. Bastion's is already not too bad if he's adequately protecte, usually from Reinhardt. His weakness is that once you get past the Reinhardt shield, he's fairly easy to take down. But if you give him an armor buff, an healing buff, and if you have a healer also taking care of him, I can see him being very hard to kill.
True, it could be really bad if a team works around Bastion. That would immediately slow down the pace of the game in a way that's not fun, which a good Bastion + team already does these days. Either that, or it would necessitate a Bastion of your own to break the enemy Rein shield more easily.

I imagine the best way to deal with an enemy Bastion that's protected by a Rein + healer would be to break the Rein shield and then try to hook him out of his safe spot.

aeolist

Banned
it's really weird that buffs and debuffs stack additively instead of multiplicatively. ironclad + nanoboost would still be ridiculous but not nearly as stupid as that video.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So what is the best way to counter new bastion? Become bastion?

No crit and more range falloff makes him pretty easy for non-Winston tanks to kill.

People don't realize the only reason Bastion could really kill Hog was because of Headshots from out of range while hes eating.

Jellie

This is outdated i believe. They've since added a cap to damage reduction.

Also i don't mind the damage reduction in sentry mode. Problem with that mode is that he's a literal sitting duck in that mode and with the increased spread and lack of headshots in that mode it's honestly not that amazing.

Is the 70% cap much different? Think he still survives the same stuff pretty much right?

Veelk

Banned
that happens before the buff

The weird thing is that I remember shredding bastions in the early days of Overwatch with D.Va when it just came out. I don't know why, I think new players just panicked when I got in their face. Later on, I'd be surprised that bastion didn't die from my flying directly into his face, wondering why it wasn't working anymore.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is the 70% cap much different? Think he still survives the same stuff pretty much right?

I think it pretty much gives him the same survivability as nano rein? Which is going to be insane for tank mode. It remains to be seen if bastion is actually still worth it without nano tank.

antitrop

The amount of Top 500 Widows in QP right now is

k3aKO5v.jpg

Time to break out the Winston/Genji dive combo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
the shield needs to get a minor cd reduction or have the cd roling as soon as you place it

its bullshit that anas grenade cooldown is so short, strong and rolls the second you use it but winstons little piddly shield barrier that he has to save a lot to protect his own hide doesn't even start rolling the cooldown until it finishes

adamy

Banned
I think Winston could use a very, very minor damage buff. as symmetra I can engage a Winston, both of us at full health, and melt him.

He doesn't. That's not his job to be a mainline tank. I do think he needs a couple of seconds off his shield CD but that's about it.

I just feel that his kit is very weak compared to other tanks. I don't think he's so far off that a few small adjustments wouldn't fix it. I just think that when it comes to all 5 tanks in Overwatch, Winston seems to have the most counters and posses the least amount of threat to the enemy team.

Most character back up when they see an enemy Rein, Zarya, DVa or Roadhog. They know to keep their distance. They seem to do the opposite for a Winston. Chasing him into his own bubble regularly, and often times coming out ahead.

Blues1990

A friendly reminder for those new players that will be starting in Season 4:

Look after your support heroes, and they'll do the same for you.

tumblr_ocyksduIaf1qdkmdyo1_1280.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It happens so long as Symmetra has a half second jump on him, which is often the case as that's how you are supposed to play her.

Even with the jump, Winston's cannon gores through her barriers and he can dive away up into the air while her charge goes down, hitting her iwth jump pack damage as well and strafe around his barrier that she can't get through. The only reason she should kill him is if he's fighting someone else.

which also going by M1 standards is the worst mindset for Winston since the best Winston players are all about using that leap in the correct manner constantly and getting melee hits in on any single target. But even without that if you approach each other fresh, Winston will kill Symmetra before Symmetra kills Winston just because of his larger health pool and with neither using abilities.

Nah Mercy players will fly away to another teammate when you try to peel and then complain about no protection. And will ditch you during an ult instead of pushing with you. I'll protect the soft boys and grandma though.

exYle

I mean, they'll probably look out for you anyway. But without help they'll die first and then it's just bad times for everyone

adamy

Banned

Based just on my speed boosts alone, I'm more often than not looking out for them and don't need anyone to look after me...although those well timed Zarya bubbles are money

Speed boost has to be the best ability in the game

NeoRaider

Torb gives armor but no one protects Torb

I had some great games with him in QP but this is so fucking true. It looks like no one cares about me when i play Torb. :/

No one wants to heal me and i need to ask for healing all the time. Barely anyone is protecting me and my turret. And i usually give 30-35+ armor packs but no one is voting for me. Lol

Veelk

Banned
Even with the jump, Winston's cannon gores through her barriers and he can dive away up into the air while her charge goes down, hitting her iwth jump pack damage as well and strafe around his barrier that she can't get through. The only reason she should kill him is if he's fighting someone else.

which also going by M1 standards is the worst mindset for Winston since the best Winston players are all about using that leap in the correct manner constantly and getting melee hits in on any single target. But even without that if you approach each other fresh, Winston will kill Symmetra before Symmetra kills Winston just because of his larger health pool and with neither using abilities.

If you're bringing in other abilities in there like that, then I can also create a situation where Sym makes turrets that he'd have to turn around and away from her to take out, which gives her the damage she needs to outDPS him. Also, her regenerator might be up, so she might have 75+ HP.

And if you want to bring in THOSE circumstances, then you might as well just consider that in a team fight where he will likely be damaged because he's a big, loud, jetpacking gorilla that everyone will be shooting at while Symmetra is usually played so that she jumps out of nowhere like a ninja.

I'm not gonna get into the debate that Winston needs to be buffed (though I personally thing he does. Just slightly.) because I understand he can be effective with coordination. But from personal experience, whenever I see a winston being close but not facing me as Symmetra, I usually get the kill.

randome

How many eliminations do you guys get a game on average? Is that even a thing to worry about with the way this game awards eliminations? Are any other stats better to gauge how well you're doing relatively?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom