• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Git

I'd definitely be up for playing with GAF on PS4, although not sure what latency will be like as in UK.

PSN: Stealthy_Git

<3

Vitanimus

Okay, you're talking my language. I've been curious to use her but can't tell what I should focus on. Any good guides out there, or general suggestions?

When I play as her I'm normally trying to flank from the high ground, hack their tanks or anyone close enough, throw out some damage and teleport out. It just doesn't seem to help my team much in the games I've used her. Probably because I have a hard time securing kills with her gun (which is weird, since I'm a half-way decent Tracer).

That's basically the way I play her. If your team is running solo healer, I try to focus a bit more on key health packs, if you have two healers then hacking health packs becomes less of a priority. I think Sombra is hard to gauge if you're doing well or not because she's extremely reliant on her team with coordination and your team following through with the disruption you create. If you're keeping the Rein/tanks hacked and occasionally killing their Zen or something, that's the most you can do solo.

Jellie

I don't see how that would work for Roadhog. So many bad things could happen to him in between the hook time. Ana can sleep, McCree can flash, Reaper can wraith etc.

Maybe if abilities were unusable whilst hooked it could work to make certain heroes like Reaper and Mei less favourable to hook.

Yeah, never going to happen. They just thought about it but no way would they implement it. Would kill him off.

Id2idU8.png

Does this work?
Thanks! Now I just need to get off mobile.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, that's bad. People should die to hook. We just need to make missing hook riskier.

I don't really know why people are bitching about dying to hook, and I've been calling for roadhog nerfs for awhile now.

Anne

How to play Sombra 101:

-Keep as many key healthpacks hacked as you can
-Somehow manage to keep hacking key targets while doing this with an 8s CD
-Use E to move around the map
-Realize if E is out it's not on CD. If you don't use it that's 15s+6s CD. If you throw it on a medkit, then start winning a fight congrats, you now have your E on a 21s CD.
-Oh wait Invis CD is mega important too. The Invis is nice to move between stuff, but the move speed is the best part of it tbh
-You also need to actually kill things, or get things low enough to trigger your passive
-If you have Genji or something like that on your team, you can use her passive wallhack to tell them where to kill people.
-Passive wallhack also lets you know where Soldier is going, or lets you know where damaged things went so you can kill them. If you have E and shift off CD that's basically a free kill. But you need those things to get that kill
-Rein is primary hack target, followed by Zarya, followed by Ana.
-EMP has to hit Rein + both supports to win a fight. Don't do grav > EMP unless you need it to win the fight, grav is usually enough.
-EMP > pick important target > then blow offensive ults is actually pretty good

Idk, that's like the basics. Sombra is difficult, and if you mess up any of that you are borderline useless. The biggest thing is you need to do all of that in a way that your team can follow up on. If you just run around and tickle people by yourself they'll just get healed. If you actually kill things or force people into bad spots you can do things, but again making somebody dip for 2-3 seconds to just get healed by Ana is pointless as hell. Most Sombras don't keep enough CDs around and pursue hard enough to make impactful plays, cause like that is actually hard.

DevilDog

I think if all pro players hate roadhog, Blizzard should be compelled to do something about it.

Yet they're not. I don't understand why. Is it the players in the lower skill brackets or what?

Vitanimus

How to play Sombra 101:

Wait really? Rein I totally agree on, but I'd argue heroes like Dva, Tracer, and even Roadhog hold more hack value than Zarya. Unless this is just based on pickrates etc.

Antiwhippy

I think if all pro players hate roadhog, Blizzard should be compelled to do something about it.

Yet they're not. I don't understand why. Is it the players in the lower skill brackets or what?

I dunno if everyone actually hates him entirely conceptually. 2 of the most popular streamers out there are roadhog mains after all.

Jellie

How to play Sombra 101:

-Keep as many key healthpacks hacked as you can
-Somehow manage to keep hacking key targets while doing this with an 8s CD
-Use E to move around the map
-Realize if E is out it's not on CD. If you don't use it that's 15s+6s CD. If you throw it on a medkit, then start winning a fight congrats, you now have your E on a 21s CD.
-Oh wait Invis CD is mega important too. The Invis is nice to move between stuff, but the move speed is the best part of it tbh
-You also need to actually kill things, or get things low enough to trigger your passive
-If you have Genji or something like that on your team, you can use her passive wallhack to tell them where to kill people.
-Passive wallhack also lets you know where Soldier is going, or lets you know where damaged things went so you can kill them. If you have E and shift off CD that's basically a free kill. But you need those things to get that kill
-EMP has to hit Rein + both supports to win a fight. Don't do grav > EMP unless you need it to win the fight, grav is usually enough.
-EMP > pick important target > then blow offensive ults is actually pretty good

Idk, that's like the basics. Sombra is difficult, and if you mess up any of that you are borderline useless. The biggest thing is you need to do all of that in a way that your team can follow up on. If you just run around and tickle people by yourself they'll just get healed. If you actually kill things or force people into bad spots you can do things, but again making somebody dip for 2-3 seconds to just get healed by Ana is pointless as hell. Most Sombras don't keep enough CDs around and pursue hard enough to make impactful plays, cause like that is actually hard.
Is it worth holding to counter lucio ult it you suspect he has it or just use it since you get it 30 seconds later and you can prevent him using it?

Vitanimus

Is it worth holding to counter lucio ult it you suspect he has it or just use it since you get it 30 seconds later and you can prevent him using it?

I think it depends - if you can EMP a sizeable chunk of the team including Lucio, and can reliably follow through with 3 picks or something, you basically create a situation where Lucio won't ult after the EMP wears off. I think on payload maps you can be more conservative though, especially in the final push.

Anne

Wait really? Rein I totally agree on, but I'd argue heroes like Dva, Tracer, and even Roadhog hold more hack value than Zarya. Unless this is just based on pickrates etc.

Zarya's barriers are almost on the same tier as Rein shield as far as controlling space goes. Ana losing nade and sleep gives you free ult wipes. Hacking RH is like, nice before an engage but it's the same CD as hook anyways. Him losing breath in a more organized team is p whatever tbh. As good as Roadhog is in the end, he can be played around and if an all in happens and his team is down, he isn't a big fight swinger at that point. Sombra starts fights, and the things you can't really play around like that are shields and heals.

Idk enough yet. I just picked her up recently, and that type of decision making I don't have entirely down yet. I think the answer is generally no though, unless you have a very specific instance where you're trying to bait it with a grav or something. If sound barrier i sup though, you need to hit Lucio with the EMP at the start of the fight.

DevilDog

I dunno if everyone actually hates him entirely conceptually. 2 of the most popular streamers out there are roadhog mains after all.

And those 2 streamers aren't pros. So their opinion doesn't really matter, and if it did, one of them thinks he's bullshit.

And since this is a competitive game, balance should be according to the top level.

And if every pro hates him, Blizzard should do something about it.

Blues1990

Nah Mercy players will fly away to another teammate when you try to peel and then complain about no protection. And will ditch you during an ult instead of pushing with you. I'll protect the soft boys and grandma though.

Eh, there are times when a relationship shouldn't be one-sided, and more often than not I have to save a Mercy players bacon.

Also, Symmetra is a Support Hero, too, you know. :(

I mean, they'll probably look out for you anyway. But without help they'll die first and then it's just bad times for everyone

From my experience, it's a 50/50 gamble. Which is why I'm leaving this cute reminder for the Offense/Defense/Tank players that you don't want your supports adorable blood on your hands.

Based just on my speed boosts alone, I'm more often than not looking out for them and don't need anyone to look after me...although those well timed Zarya bubbles are money

Speed boost has to be the best ability in the game

Yeah, they can nerf Lucio's healing to the ground, but so long as his maneuverability/speed boost is left untouched, he practically is the king of swing.

we did an all support team in QP and won, it was hilarious.

I really want to try this.

"Mystery" Heroes

Yeah, we had some ridiculous matches today.

Vitanimus

Zarya's barriers are almost on the same tier as Rein shield as far as controlling space goes. Ana losing nade and sleep gives you free ult wipes. Hacking RH is like, nice before an engage but it's the same CD as hook anyways. Him losing breath in a more organized team is p whatever tbh. As good as Roadhog is in the end, he can be played around and if an all in happens and his team is down, he isn't a big fight swinger at that point. Sombra starts fights, and the things you can't really play around like that are shields and heals.

Yeah I find hacking RH as just threat prevention for free ult change
unless you get BS right clicked :(
I guess I don't view Ana as a HUGE hack priority since by the time you've engaged in the fight her grenade is probably already on cooldown. I totally agree that hacking her is a big deal though.

Ambient80

Idk enough yet. I just picked her up recently, and that type of decision making I don't have entirely down yet. I think the answer is generally no though, unless you have a very specific instance where you're trying to bait it with a grav or something. If sound barrier i sup though, you need to hit Lucio with the EMP at the start of the fight.

Yeah I always ignore RH unless he's like the only tank in a QP match or something, and even then he's only like second priority as I go after healers before him.

I love hacking Rein from above or somewhere else they can't see me. They always freak out and don't have any idea what to do once the hack happens. So fun :D

KillGore

So I'm having a lot of fun with winston. Can you guys give me any tips to getting better with him? Like, how I should play him. Thanks guys

finalflame

If Bastion's PTR changes go through to live unchanged, then this will definitely be Blizzard giving him sweet vengeance for being irrelevant for so long. Sweet jesus he's fucking OP now.

DevilDog

If Bastion's PTR changes go through to live unchanged, then this will definitely be Blizzard giving him sweet vengeances for being irrelevant for so long. Sweet jesus he's fucking OP now.

He is invincible during his turret form with nano boost. I doubt they will leave it unchanged.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah I always ignore RH unless he's like the only tank in a QP match or something, and even then he's only like second priority as I go after healers before him.

I love hacking Rein from above or somewhere else they can't see me. They always freak out and don't have any idea what to do once the hack happens. So fun :D

On the other hand, Sombra without her team backing her up can't do anything to Reinhardt.

I remember one game where I played Reinhardt. It was one of those games where you are the only one on the payload, while your team has gone ahead to 5v6 deathmatch the rest of the enemy team and were good enough to actually pull it off. So I just sat my ass on the payload, put up my shield (protecting no one) and just chilled my way from spawn to the final checkpoint of El Dorado. Literally no one fired a shot on me all the way from the first check point to the second.

The only enemy that even approached me was Sombra that kept hacking me. She turned invisible, I'd hear the *VWAARP* from somewhere behind, lose my shield, and then she'd disappear to wherever she left her transponder. There was never anyone on her team to follow up. Eventually I just started waving to her whenever she came be. Every 30 seconds or so, she'd just show up, hack me, then warp out. She wouldn't even fire on me herself.

I don't know if that Sombra was just amused or pissed off. She never waved back to me, but it was kinda funny how she and I were the only ones actually concerned with the objective, yet we were the only ones that never took any damage (atleast from what I saw of her).

Antiwhippy

I'm actually super interested to see where bastion ends up, but for now all I see is a S76 with no burst, can't heal and shoot at the same time, no mobility with a bigger hitbox, and is better at busting up shields.

And then there are all these super divey flanking comps which bastion isn't the best at dealing with. Like maybe ironclad will make the TTK too long so that it can negate some of it but I dunno, and that means that he has to be a sitting duck while genji/trracer/winston/pharah dives in on him.

Man, I seriously hope Blizzard will release another support hero that doesn't focus on healing as it's mechanic, as I still consider Symmetra more of a Support Hero than a Defense-oriented one.

You're not alone. My favorite thing about Symmetra is she's the definition of "Support", she is completely built to help her teammates in some way, whether actively or passively, and none of it has anything to do with healing. It's so much more fun.

I would love if they added a purely buff/debuff support hero.

ElyrionX

Pharmercy combo is really hard to deal with in QP. You need coordination with your team. I usually switch to S76 if a Pharah is running rampant but you need a lot of help if the pocket Mercy is good at keeping away.

antitrop

Pharmercy combo is really hard to deal with in QP. You need coordination with your team. I usually switch to S76 if a Pharah is running rampant but you need a lot of help if the pocket Mercy is good at keeping away.
Widowmaker is the most consistent answer to Pharah, since she doesn't have the damage drop-off of both Soldier and McCree.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, I'm bored, so lets play a game:

The Overwatch characters find what is basically the Overwatch game, but with names/designs changed. So it's not like they're seeing themselves when they play, but they the mechanics and basic character personalities are the same as they are now. Idk, imagine it's Battleborn if it was designed by Blizzard or something.

Assuming that they don't play themselves, what character would they main?

Mercy - I imagine she plays Reaper. After spending all her energy healing people, I imagine she relaxes by going on murderous psychopathic rampages as a catharsis factor.

Reaper - Plays Mei, the seemingly nice girl that everyone knows is evil incarnate.

Junkrat - Tracer, because he wants to go fast.

This dude should probably participate in a science experiment to see if he's psychic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom