• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

Practicing characters in this game can be taxing.

because qp is horrible

Been the most relaxed playing this game in the past 2 days then I have in awhile. Barely touching it and when I do it's getting better with sombra.
Also prepared for her to see even more time on comps in S4

Jellie

How many eliminations do you guys get a game on average? Is that even a thing to worry about with the way this game awards eliminations? Are any other stats better to gauge how well you're doing relatively?
Elims depends on the character and isn't useful since 1 damage can give you an elim.
Probably win rate. Deaths is also useful.

sugarman

Does Mercy have a place in comp? I've been maining her in qp since season 3 ended and she's so fun to play. I've gotten wins out of really trash teams using her.

Anne

It's probably ultimately beneficial as it will make you a better player

Playing QP with certain heroes is a good way to make you worse lol

Elims depends on the character and isn't useful since 1 damage can give you an elim.

I'm at the point where I think elims is about the most useful stat to look at most of the time.

Sounds like a Discord buff could be needed...

Le's not talk about what happened in S1 then.

Um, this is a fucking joke.

Nanotank was already this broken tbh and they made a damage resist cap now anyways. The new Bastion changes are good, but ultimately not anything crazy. He still is the same hero jjust with less liability.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The new Bastion is just going to make more use of his transforming, making recon useful at range and then transforming at close range rather than 'walk to point in recon. transform. die'

Which is much more fun.

A friendly reminder for those new players that will be starting in Season 4:

Look after your support heroes, and they'll do the same for you.

tumblr_ocyksduIaf1qdkmdyo1_1280.png

yo someone turn this Lucio into an avatar for me

Veelk

Banned
The thing about 'practicing' in QP is that you have to be the only one on your team doing it. Otherwise, you are blatantly working with a character you cannot use very well, handicaping your team. If 2 other people are doing the same thing your doing, then your team is basically not doing what it needs to to survive. And if the other team isn't, if they're just playing regularly, your whole team is fucked. Meaning you're going to get killed before you have a chance to do any practicing.

And A lot of the heroes just aren't going to make any sense by yourself. Winston needs to coordinate with his team to dive properly. Ana needs to people to say when they have their ults ready to plan ahead. Sombra needs her team to move in when she EMP's. Those are probably the most critical heroes that need a coordinating team.

The best practice sessions you can have is when you aren't necessary. If your team is steamrolling them so hard that they can essentially beat them 5v6, then that's the time you whip out the Widowmaker and take your potshots at the enemy team struggling.

Jellie

I'm at the point where I think elims is about the most useful stat to look at most of the time.

How come? What about Lucios or Dvas who just tag an enemy who dies. They don't really contribute to that kill. I'm not a fan of it because of the whole "I have gold elims so I'm not switching".

I prefer deaths because if you are dying too much then you have less uptime, less time to build ults, less impact on the game and are generally feeding the enemy. At least deaths in relation to your teammates since if you are all dying together it should be the same. If you keep getting killed before a push and the team has to wait for you constantly thats a sign of you not doing well. If you have fewer deaths it might be because you are able to recognise when a push has failed and managed to escape, not feeding more ult charge.

Though sometimes its best to just jump off the map if the push failed so you don't stagger your spawns.

pizzacat

Banned
Practicing characters in this game can be taxing.

because qp is horrible
Practicing mccree with loud music and if my teammates are awful I blast the music into my mic

Idc about losing just my accuracy and crits but some people just go into qp to like be a braindead person

adamy

Banned

my deaths have increased substantially ever since I've seen the pros killing themselves in certain situations to respawn with their team and avoid giving the other team ult

especially the case with my main Lucio because I tend to out survive my team and really am best served respawning with them for speed boost

was actually wondering if this is something I should be doing. given that I see it done on the esports level, I'm assuming it isn't a terrible thing to do?

edit: just saw your more recent post where you actually cover what I said I do

Anne

How come? What about Lucios or Dvas who just tag an enemy who dies. They don't really contribute to that kill. I'm not a fan of it because of the whole "I have gold elims so I'm not switching".

If somebody has high kill participation, they are likely to at least be with the team doing something to make kills happen. It just lets me know who is actually contributing to fights and kills. I know some heroes won't get as many (lol Rein) but it's p informative of how people are trying to play the map in a high quality match. Damage is a good stat too, but if it isn't contributing to kills it's kind of bunk. Junkrat isn't the only one dealing trash damage.

I think deaths are good too, ye. Every death is a potentially lost teamfight which is massive. More people should play not to die sometimes ;~;

Skii

my deaths have increased substantially ever since I've seen the pros killing themselves in certain situations to respawn with their team and avoid giving the other team ult

especially the case with my main Lucio because I tend to out survive my team and really am best served respawning with them for speed boost

was actually wondering if this is something I should be doing. given that I see it done on the esports level, I'm assuming it isn't a terrible thing to do?

I don't know if you should be suiciding with Lucio. Usually you don't have your ult at the end of a lost fight so it's better to try and build ult whilst back tracking rather than just suiciding because your ult is probably the only defensive one your team has. It's different with Roadhog for example who's ult is pretty bad and arguably not worth trading 600HP to the enemy team.

Gorillaz

The thing about 'practicing' in QP is that you have to be the only one on your team doing it. Otherwise, you are blatantly working with a character you cannot use very well, handicaping your team. If 2 other people are doing the same thing your doing, then your team is basically not doing what it needs to to survive. And if the other team isn't, if they're just playing regularly, your whole team is fucked. Meaning you're going to get killed before you have a chance to do any practicing.

And A lot of the heroes just aren't going to make any sense by yourself. Winston needs to coordinate with his team to dive properly. Ana needs to people to say when they have their ults ready to plan ahead. Sombra needs her team to move in when she EMP's. Those are probably the most critical heroes that need a coordinating team.

The best practice sessions you can have is when you aren't necessary. If your team is steamrolling them so hard that they can essentially beat them 5v6, then that's the time you whip out the Widowmaker and take your potshots at the enemy team struggling.

By the time your usually steam rolling the game is either halfway or pretty much done so at that point why even switch?

You don't need to use QP for only practice but it honestly is best to run full games with those characters. Your probably going to lose, a fews or alot. Growing pains. Learning how to flow through the map benefits greatly. Arcade is also there too if QP is not doing it for you.

I'm not speaking down to you directly or anything but just saying it in general

Jellie

They should incentivize winning in Quick Play ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah I mentioned this above that if you jump off the cliff then it'll inflate your deaths, though it might just quicken the inevitable so still useful stat.
With Lucio you don't necessarily have to jump off. If you can you can, disengage instead.
Bonus if you can speed boost other teammataes out and heal them up. You kinda have to decide. Plus some maps might not have a place for you to jump off.

If somebody has high kill participation, they are likely to at least be with the team doing something to make kills happen. It just lets me know who is actually contributing to fights and kills. I know some heroes won't get as many (lol Rein) but it's p informative of how people are trying to play the map in a high quality match. Damage is a good stat too, but if it isn't contributing to kills it's kind of bunk. Junkrat isn't the only one dealing trash damage.

I think deaths are good too, ye. Every death is a potentially lost teamfight which is massive. More people should play not to die sometimes ;~;
Yeah depends on the hero. I think KD is probably best since it takes both since it measures how much impact you have per life, but you have to consider what the average for a specific hero is since some aren't expected to get a higher KD.
With damage, I often hear in response so somebody saying they got gold damage medal that it was useless damage on reinhardt's shield but isn't it kinda of useful since you should be trying to break it and if they have to recharge it then you are delaying them? Useless damage to me would be poke damage when you have your ult.

Also forgot deaths get inflated during stall parts, and kills too. eg Hanamura point B. Defence throwing themselves on the point gives attackers more kills and defenders more deaths.

adamy

Banned
it really depends on the hero

as Lucio I'm happy that I pretty much always get gold objective time and gold objective kills. been averaging in the top 3-10% percentile. I try to centralize myself in a place where I can use my extreme mobility to make call outs and coordinate the team while also having my aura hit the largest amount of people, which is usually the point

I still run off to speed boost a Zarya or Rein so he can get that kill but try to return to the center position where I believe I can provide the most help

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I'll say that as a healer main I win more than I lose in games where I have high elims. That means I'm fragging with zen as he should, tagging people with biogrenade as I should with ana, and controlling the team fights as I should as lucio.

Lul mercy.

adamy

Banned
Yeah I mentioned this above that if you jump off the cliff then it'll inflate your deaths, though it might just quicken the inevitable so still useful stat.
With Lucio you don't necessarily have to jump off. If you can you can, disengage instead.
Bonus if you can speed boost other teammataes out and heal them up. You kinda have to decide. Plus some maps might not have a place for you to jump off.

yeah I don't do it if it's a short walk back to the spawn. I just do it sometimes on 2cp maps or payload maps where its a long, long walk back to the point

I guess I need to weigh whether its better to back off and build ult or speed boost my team back (through suicide)

I think they should reduce the area of effect for D Vas ultimate. So annoying. It completely clears out anywhere its used.

Isn't that hard to duck for cover, if you have a rein in your team stick behind him, isn't that hard to survive it to be honest, you just gotta react quicly.

I think they should reduce the area of effect for D Vas ultimate. So annoying. It completely clears out anywhere its used.
D.va ult is something that seems super OP when you start out (I know I complained), but when you understand it it becomes much more reasonable. I find the 600 health heal more irritating than the explosion (except for the time my team lost because we all got off the objective to survive her ult, lol).

This could make me quit the game.

Edit: Nevermind, I read it; they want to change how the hook functions to how Junkrat's trap disables people. They don't want to change the hook to a trap - LOL and WHEW!

It's an interesting idea, but they would have to disable abilities. Otherwise Tracer could just blink out mid-hook and actually gain advantage against you.

Anne

Btw my respect for Sombra has skyrocketed lately, and it hilariously enough has very little to do with the KDP game. The strats I saw from people like Liquid and LW Blue are really sick and better show off why she's gross. She's also a good pick up for a support player's hero pool if you're into that kinda thing, esp for 2CP stuff.

I really like the sound of that. Makes Roadhogs have to think more about who and when to hook. Could Mei potentially freeze him before he can shoot? I would LOVE that, if she could.

Btw my respect for Sombra has skyrocketed lately, and it hilariously enough has very little to do with the KDP game. The strats I saw from people like Liquid and LW Blue are really sick and better show off why she's gross. She's also a good pick up for a support player's hero pool if you're into that kinda thing, esp for 2CP stuff.

Do you have a VOD link or something? I'm dying to see some good Sombra play to learn from

Vitanimus

Is Mercy a low skill ceiling character? Is Ana a high ceiling character? Should a high ceiling character be rewarded more handsomely for their role contribution? :thinking:

Antiwhippy

I kinda feel like liquid still really don't know how to play around the sombra though. So many unco emps.

Do you mean KD Panthera and not LW blue?

Anne

Do you mean KD Panthera and not LW blue?

No, I mean LWB. Solo support + Sombra (Luna on Sombra) is a thing they have pulled out, and I've seen them mess around with other gimmick strategies.

TL just isn't very good as a unit yet, but I think the strats they have are very good. KDP had a good King's Row map with her, yeah, but the strats they were using weren't particularly strong compared to other neat stuff I saw. I think it has a lot more to do with Rascal just being way better than anything Flash Lux could produce :T

BigDug13

Does Mercy have a place in comp? I've been maining her in qp since season 3 ended and she's so fun to play. I've gotten wins out of really trash teams using her.

She's totally meta on console. It's too difficult to have great consistency with Ana with a dual stick controller.

Antiwhippy

Rascal is kinda crazy good. I see him on mei and he hits those icicles like it's hitscan. @_@

Any footage of the LWB stuff?

Anne

I'd need to go back and find it. They've pulled it out a couple times, maybe against LH? On maps like Anubis for instance you can run Sombra and solo support since healthpack placement is super good. All the 2CP maps work with that strat. Running Sombra in the style of a trip support comp with EMP being the backbone of it seems like a very real thing.

What I have learned in my recent adventures of playing Sombra is she is pretty difficult to play cause hellish CD management and weird decision making. It's also hard to run her without having specific heroes on her team too. Still think after the small buffs she's in a really good spot, but you're not going to see solo queue players sticking to her often because she's just too hard. I don't think she's that difficult, just like way more effort and too high a skill ceiling for your average solo q players to reach for.

Okay, you're talking my language. I've been curious to use her but can't tell what I should focus on. Any good guides out there, or general suggestions?

When I play as her I'm normally trying to flank from the high ground, hack their tanks or anyone close enough, throw out some damage and teleport out. It just doesn't seem to help my team much in the games I've used her. Probably because I have a hard time securing kills with her gun (which is weird, since I'm a half-way decent Tracer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom