• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talka

Can somebody please explain to me why Overwatch doesn't provide replacement players or AI players in competitive play? Honest to god, quitters are ruining the game for me. I only have time to play maybe two matches a night. Both matches tonight were ruined by quitting teammates. Why even bother playing?

If I invest 8 minutes in a closely fought defense, only for a teammate to leave 2 minutes into our attack... what's the point? It's all just a waste of time. Why no replacement players? Why no AI players? Why fully credit me with a loss?

Maybe I'd be less upset if I understood Blizzard's reasoning. Right now it's just... why even keep trying? I have 30 minutes of leisure time a night and I could find other uses for it.

Soldier's really powerful now, I consider him OP. Especially when you nanoboost him. But it's awesome that you're finding success with him, I think he's a fantastic beginner character because of how similar he plays to regular FPS games. As for the highlight intro quality, they all cater to the character's personality.

The damage boost made him a kill-on-sight character. Like, you're either countering him or you're dead.

I fully expect a nerf at some point since they're bringing D.va in line. His damage is insane.

Looks like the servers are down

Oh god, glad I stopped for the night.

BUT.

2800 Get.

2804, barely. Had a guy invite me to play with his friend's smurf account and I guess it was all smurfs and they decided to just troll me so I'd stay out of 2800.

But I then won a few matches and got there.

I can taste Diamond fam. I can taste it.

Yo fuck this game. Can't catch a break in comp, have fallen all the way to 2960 from 3500. Finally get a good feeling game and I'm disconnected and fall to 2920.

Why the fuck can I not stop playing? I'd love to just take a break but every time I boot up the console I just launch it knowing it will be awful.

I just lost 4 in a row and then was winning 2 - 0 on Nepal with 97% before winning the game when I got disconnected.

Honestly I just laughed. Been a terrible night for playing comp.

Can somebody please explain to me why Overwatch doesn't provide replacement players or AI players in competitive play? Honest to god, quitters are ruining the game for me. I only have time to play maybe two matches a night. Both matches tonight were ruined by quitting teammates. Why even bother playing?

If I invest 8 minutes in a closely fought defense, only for a teammate to leave 2 minutes into our attack... what's the point? It's all just a waste of time. Why no replacement players? Why no AI players? Why fully credit me with a loss?

Maybe I'd be less upset if I understood Blizzard's reasoning. Right now it's just... why even keep trying? I have 30 minutes of leisure time a night and I could find other uses for it.
I think the reason they don't want replacement players is that:
1) No one wants to join a losing game.
2) It's not fair for the replacement player to lose rating in this situation.

AI...that's always going to be controversial.

*****************DPS********************************

no one likes playing soldier for real. you do it cuz you need a dps and hes the only one that can escape her garbage with any kind of consistency. even if you pick pharah and try to fly away here she comes every 6 seconds with her stupid pellet gun making this incessant noise and then you turn to shoot her and she eats your rockets and does it all over again until you fucking die

ERASE IT
Why limit to DPS? She's kind of designed around being annoying towards them, but Reaper deals with her well, Mei harasses her too. But Zarya's my bae for dealing with them, especially when they reflexively attempt to DM her beam. Nerf this? No no, thanks for the charge~

It's competitive for a reason so slotting people in mid-match doesn't really make it all that desirable for them either. AI is a tough one for a couple reasons, but namely if AI ends up being good, then you have people harassing players they perceive as bad into leaving to get an AI instead. Or, the AI ends up being bad and you just have free ult charge for the enemy team.

I get why people get hung up on leavers, but the bottom line is that you are bound to those teams once you enter them in comp. Getting a leaver sucks, but it's just a more direct way of simply having a bad teammate. Someone could be playing poorly, or throwing, or whatever else that ends up losing the game. Leavers are in the same boat with that the way I see it. I think it really depends on the amount you play, if you only get a handful of ranked games in then leavers make that much more impact, but once you start playing more heavily they become less of an issue. I just leave once the timer runs down, take my lump, and move on to the next game.

no one likes playing soldier for real. you do it cuz you need a dps and hes the only one that can escape her garbage with any kind of consistency. even if you pick pharah and try to fly away here she comes every 6 seconds with her stupid pellet gun making this incessant noise and then you turn to shoot her and she eats your rockets and does it all over again until you fucking die

ERASE IT

I kinda like playing soldier. I also like playing D.Va though so I guess I'm just a bad person

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The only issue with a Dva and 76 nerf is that Pharah will completely rule the game the second it happens

like pharah is disgusting right now once you stop seeing dva and 76 in every game. and i'd rather deal with an op dva than an op pharah

I think it's important to have one boring/simple character for each category.

However, you absolutely do not want the most powerful character for a given category to be the boring/simple one.

Side note: morning competitive play is a lot like Hearthstone. Super casual. I played a match where my entire team was DPS and we won.

I think it's important to have one boring/simple character for each category.

However, you absolutely do not want the most powerful character for a given category to be the boring/simple one.

Side note: morning competitive play is a lot like Hearthstone. Super casual. I played a match where my entire team was DPS and we won.

How boring a character is is totally subjective though.

Satch

Banned
Why limit to DPS? She's kind of designed around being annoying towards them, but Reaper deals with her well, Mei harasses her too. But Zarya's my bae for dealing with them, especially when they reflexively attempt to DM her beam. Nerf this? No no, thanks for the charge~

we had three tanks already xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Apathy

The only character that has complete and unrestricted access to all the 3D space available and yet she's barely viable now. It makes me so upset.

While the upward buff was nice, what she really needs is side to side maneuverability. her fall speed and movement is way too slow and predictable

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've played Winston for over 20+ hours but I was in another game as Genji and heard Winston say 'That was awesome!' which I have never heard before.

I know Lucio says that but Lucio wasn't in the game and it was definitely Winston's voice.

On a 7 game win streak... 12-1-1 on the day..... 3452. I'm on the verge of master for my main account on Xbox One. Wish me luck.

UPDATE: I DID IT!!!!!!! 3539!!!!!

Up from 2968 at the start of the day. (Was all ready Diamond)

Update 2: Man what a ride that was. Finally ended the streak on Hanamura. Overall I went 13-2-1 with Ana, Rein, D.Va and Soldier as my primary heroes for the day. SR currently sits at 3512. Since I was in a three stack with some pals, They are now in the 3400's as well and like 2-3 games away from master.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah I think I'm just not going to play overwatch until I stop coughing out my lungs.

Thank god for OGN apex tonight.

Cappa

Banned

ERASE IT
huh? Hes the most fun DPS for me but thats not saying much because Id rather play Mei, Tank, or Support heroes anyways.

holysan

Yep. I respect a god McCree, but fuck Soldier. Blizz really fucked it up by making the easiest dps to play the strongest.

Not only should they reduce his dmg, but also nerf the time on aimbot, same as they did with Gengu.

That doesn't mean that I don't agree with him on D.VA. Into the trash bin with her.

Yep. I respect a god McCree, but fuck Soldier. Blizz really fucked it up by making the easiest dps to play the strongest.

Not only should they reduce his dmg, but also nerf the time on aimbot, same as they did with Gengu.

That doesn't mean that I don't agree with him on D.VA. Into the trash bin with her.
I just think they need to nerf his self healing. He can 1v1 anyone because of it.

Xzan

Why wouldn't there be a difference between say low plat and high plat? They have to determine and take into account your skill with 23 heros, you may be a master reinhardt but a gold genji. There are too many variable to make it 100% accurate all the time. Also your sr does not decrease if you break even. What's your win rate?

Assuming Blizzard never bother to update the system nor give a better explanation for the how's and why's of putting a team together outside availability and SR, what I'd like for them to do is to at least put icons of each team member's best 3 or 4 heroes in terms of time and performance under their portraits.

I mean, surely the MMR must be taking some of these factors into account when putting team together, so why not show that I've been put in the team because I'm a pretty decent Zarya, ok Rein, ok Lucio and ok Zenyatta?

I'm sure it could come with its own problems but at least this way there might be consensus reached on the best composition based on the available players instead of instalocking and reducing toxic tears when things don't go people's way. People are already stalking career profiles to justify their arguments so why not put up something that is not just based on time played but combines multiple stats?

Something like the Hero Pool column on the Overbuff leaderboards but more meaningful because it would based on the logic behind the matchmaking system (assuming I'm not giving it too much credit).

Anne

Tracer and Genji against 3 tanks only works on King of the Hill maps, right?

It can work on anything, Genji/Tracer deal monstrous damage and still has nanosword. He has a natural disadvantage going into the comp, but it's not impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom