• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to know why people hate Junk so much. He is easily countered by D.Va and Zarya for him to be an issue.
He's just so annoying. The random bounces of his weapon's billets, the stupid trap that sticks you for a second, the goddamn concussion mine, his godforsaken ult. He's so fucking annoying.

I-hate-u

I admit he can be pretty random, but I guess that's the point of the character. I find him pretty fun. Getting into the groove with Junkrat makes you feel like a maniac, kinda like the character himself.

What I'm getting from these Mind Fuzz videos is that I should stop being such a team player. Thus far I pick Reinhardt, Lucio, Ana, etc. 90% of the time, and I lose a lot while scoring reasonably well. But in silver/gold individual players often carry the game, so I'm leaving my game to be carried by a random, and it doesn't happen often. Instead, I should leave the support/tank roles to the randoms and focus on DPSing with intelligence.

Skii

What I'm getting from these Mind Fuzz videos is that I should stop being such a team player. Thus far I pick Reinhardt, Lucio, Ana, etc. 90% of the time, and I lose a lot while scoring reasonably well. But in silver/gold individual players often carry the game, so I'm leaving my game to be carried by a random, and it doesn't happen often. Instead, I should leave the support/tank roles to the randoms and focus on DPSing with intelligence.

Yeah you can't carry with Rein even at gold. If your team doesn't heal you in the current meta, you're useless. I'd definitely recommend more DPS orientated heroes like Soldier but Ana can definitely carry because she has so much offensive capabilities as well.

komaruR

My friend wants to convert from ps4 to pc, but doesn't have a lot of money. Is the budget pc listed at the bottom of this website good enough to run at 60+ fps on low settings? $600 would be the allowed budget excluding monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

http://prosettings.net/best-pc-for-overwatch/
Invest in a slightly better CPU. I'd also invest in a second hard drive for storage since 275 GB can get eaten up fast depending on the size of your game library.

Ghazi

pls. compared to most FPS games it's pretty good at getting decently matched games ELO wise.
It matches the numbers up decently but the SR system is awful at judging skill and there's so much disparity within a single bracket that the matches are more often than not unbalanced. The placement matches don't work at all either, it either places people too high or too low, leading to the skill disparity that I mentioned before. The way they handle progress is bad too, even if you win 50% of your matches your SR goes down and if you get matched up against a team with a decently higher SR than yours and you beat them, you barely get any SR and if you lose to them you lose as much SR as you do to an equal team.

That's just humanity.

Yeah, the players are the biggest issue, but that's not something that can be fixed. It's not an issue exclusive to Overwatch at all. But the SR system is abysmal, actually one of the worst competitive skill systems that I've had the displeasure of playing. These are my experiences solo queuing on PC and I've had a lot of matches where people are intentionally throwing, someone admits to playing on an alt account, or no one is using microphones/communicating. I don't expect to win all of them. I don't really expect to win half of them, and I definitely have lots of bad matches myself, but the SR system never really makes you feel good about how it's ranking and matchmaking you.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I've basically been a tank main but I actually do stray away from Rein as I feel like if people aren't utilizing his shield well then I can't do enough. Though I also don't think I'm great at him.

When I started I ended up playing Lucio a ton just by virtue of nobody playing supports, I would be the guy who kinda waits on the team screen and fill in which was basically always him. Now I try to snap Roadhog or Zarya, Roadhog is my most played by far but I feel they both can carry matches more than most. I don't mind being Support but it feels so bad when the team just doesn't focus the right targets or win fights with you backing them.

Skii

My friend wants to convert from ps4 to pc, but doesn't have a lot of money. Is the budget pc listed at the bottom of this website good enough to run at 60+ fps on low settings? $600 would be the allowed budget excluding monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

http://prosettings.net/best-pc-for-overwatch/

Definitely check in the PC building thread on here. They helped me build my PC although my budget was significantly higher. But Overwatch is not very demanding at all. I have a 970 and can run 144fps with low settings.

im about to buy my 3rd gold weapon and i cant decide if im gonna get genji, ana, or winston

All good choices. I'd go Genji because I'm a weeb.

caesar

Banned
It matches the numbers up decently but the SR system is awful at judging skill and there's so much disparity within a single bracket that the matches are more often than not unbalanced. The placement matches don't work at all either, it either places people too high or too low, leading to the skill disparity that I mentioned before. The way they handle progress is bad too, even if you win 50% of your matches your SR goes down and if you get matched up against a team with a decently higher SR than yours and you beat them, you barely get any SR and if you lose to them you lose as much SR as...

Why wouldn't there be a difference between say low plat and high plat? They have to determine and take into account your skill with 23 heros, you may be a master reinhardt but a gold genji. There are too many variable to make it 100% accurate all the time. Also your sr does not decrease if you break even. What's your win rate?

antitrop

Yeah, the players are the biggest issue, but that's not something that can be fixed. It's not an issue exclusive to Overwatch at all. But the SR system is abysmal, actually one of the worst competitive skill systems that I've had the displeasure of playing. These are my experiences solo queuing on PC and I've had a lot of matches where people are intentionally throwing, someone admits to playing on an alt account, or no one is using microphones/communicating. I don't expect to win all of them. I don't really expect to win half of them, and I definitely have lots of bad matches myself, but the SR system never really makes you feel good about how it's ranking and matchmaking you.

Never forget Season 1, where you would win a game and it would move the bar about 1/50th of the way, then you would lose a game and it would drop you 3/4 of a bar.

y'now

I'm coming to the conclusion every time I play against a tank team that junkrat is secretly the best against deleting reinhardts shield and causing massive collateral damage.

Ghazi

Never forget Season 1, where you would win a game and it would move the bar about 1/50th of the way, then you would lose a game and it would drop you 3/4 of a bar.
I didn't play S1, but I definitely heard about how awful it was.
Why wouldn't there be a difference between say low plat and high plat? They have to determine and take into account your skill with 23 heros, you may be a master reinhardt but a gold genji. There are too many variable to make it 100% accurate all the time. Also your sr does not decrease if you break even. What's your win rate?
I didn't phrase what I meant properly, I meant there's a wide variance of skill within a small SR difference. But there also is a massive difference in skill in a single bracket as well, more than there should between, say, a high and low plat. It's not an issue of 100% accuracy, no competitive system will ever be 100% accurate, it's that there's a large margin of inaccuracy in identifying skill. I'm in Diamond (and very happy with that, I don't think I'm any better than this bracket) and my current win rate is 55% but I've won most my matches today so it's gone up from 49%. It definitely drops you if you go even.

It doesn't help that the game is, in my opinion, in it's most boring meta since launch.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
y'now

I'm coming to the conclusion every time I play against a tank team that junkrat is secretly the best against deleting reinhardts shield and causing massive collateral damage.

The problem is a tank team is usually going to have either dva or zarya, if not both. I love fighting a junkrat as zarya, easy full energy every time you bubble the rein.

Satch

Banned
I HATE DVA SO MUCH I CANT WAIT FOR THAT BRAINDEAD CHARACTER TO BE DELETED

I PICK SOLDIER AND SHE JUST FOLLOWS ME AROUND THE WHOLE GAME GETTING POCKETED BY ANA

hypernima

Banned
In the tank meta, her heal denial decides the flow of a fight very well.

Yeah but if the rein is a dummy it's bust, just had a game now where he was guarding the choke at hana. ONE person snuck through and he runs to point, allowing everyone attacking to rush right in behind him and gun me down. So yeah it's very mixed based on the intelligence of the person running him. We only one because me and lucio put in work and they had two rage quitters because they couldnt take B.

I PICK SOLDIER AND SHE JUST FOLLOWS ME AROUND THE WHOLE GAME GETTING POCKETED BY ANA

Yeah cause she wrecks Soldier. I run on sight when I see her solo.

Soldier is a character that I pick and usually get gold or silver with damage and/or kills. No other character does that for me - he's exceedingly easy to play, and I feel like he outshines most other damage characters.

I tried Hanzo and Sombra for the first time tonight.

Hanzo: never again, lol. I couldn't hit jack and even lost 1v1 fights to a Pharah twice.

Sombra: what a cool and fun character. Stealthing behind enemy lines, gunning a character down, and then zipping back to my teleporter was exhilarating. Can she hack while stealthed? It seems like I lose stealth if I take any damage, so going in is a huge risk because of crossfire.

Edit: It also strikes me that there is a huge disparity in Highlight Intro quality between characters. Soldier 76 is just him firing his guns, but Mei's are all elaborate and fun. What's up with that?

Ghazi

Soldier is a character that I pick and usually get gold or silver with damage and/or kills. No other character does that for me - he's exceedingly easy to play, and I feel like he outshines most other damage characters.
Soldier's really powerful now, I consider him OP. Especially when you nanoboost him. But it's awesome that you're finding success with him, I think he's a fantastic beginner character because of how similar he plays to regular FPS games. As for the highlight intro quality, they all cater to the character's personality.

Jblanks

I guess the problem with being like Master and above, or Diamond and above is even QP people try hard and 3/4 of the games the teams are basically the meta.

Trey

Edit: It also strikes me that there is a huge disparity in Highlight Intro quality between characters. Soldier 76 is just him firing his guns, but Mei's are all elaborate and fun. What's up with that?

you can customize them. you can get different character intros in lootboxes, and some are more elaborate than others. Every character has a supply of 4 or 5 different ones.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

to be fair, they're both pretty braindead characters. Learn a more satisfying character, like junkrat.

Satch

Banned
Zarya deals with her rather well.

*****************DPS********************************

no one likes playing soldier for real. you do it cuz you need a dps and hes the only one that can escape her garbage with any kind of consistency. even if you pick pharah and try to fly away here she comes every 6 seconds with her stupid pellet gun making this incessant noise and then you turn to shoot her and she eats your rockets and does it all over again until you fucking die

ERASE IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom