• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyStu

Everyone seems to agree that Mercy is the least effective healer because of her kit not being sufficient to keep up with the likes of Ana or Zenyatta being better since he can multitask while Mercy can only do one thing at a time. But I don't think any healer can be as exhaustive to fight against against. They're like cockroaches, nigh impossible to put down for good.

This is true until higher skill levels where you can stick a competent flanker on her.

And there is still the 5v6 problem.

I feel like Mercy and Torb occupy this rather unique niche where they can be REALLY useful in the mid and lower levels of play (or quick play in general), even if they are a burden in the higher competitive realm.

Everyone seems to agree that Mercy is the least effective healer because of her kit not being sufficient to keep up with the likes of Ana or Zenyatta being better since he can multitask while Mercy can only do one thing at a time. But I don't think any healer can be as exhaustive to fight against against. They're like cockroaches, nigh impossible to put down for good.

Well when some teams run Mercy they make her the solo healer and add a DPS like Soldier or a self healer like Roadhog or Mei the make up for her weaker kit. I personally think she needs a rework of some kind.

Jellie

Ana and Lucio are probably the hardest to kill. Mercy and Zen are pretty easy. Zen's hit box is so easy to hit and Mercy has to rely on guardian angel.

Anne

I feel like Mercy and Torb occupy this rather unique niche where they can be REALLY useful in the mid and lower levels of play (or quick play in general), even if they are a burden in the higher competitive realm.

Actually Torb is kinda useful at higher level. More so than Mercy. Mercy is useful but not to that extent.

Actually Torb is kinda useful at higher level. More so than Mercy. Mercy is useful but not to that extent.

Was the recent change in armour gain partly responsible for this?

As an aside Torb can be so useful in standard quick play on console simply because the turret will mean that something is actually hitting the Tracers/Genjis/Pharahs that the instalock DPS often can't deal with.

Veelk

Banned
It's really Mercy's super fast healing that makes her such a bother. I know higher level teams that never miss a shot can take her out, but if you miss, she's extremely slippery and can get away from you.

But I do agree she needs a rework. I was about to sneak attack the enemy team as reaper. One Mercy, beamed me to buff my energy, revealing my postion. Thanks a lot there buddy.

I suggested earlier that Mercy's beam should be invisible to the enemy. I still stand by that suggestion. And something else. I think the worst thing about her is that she can ONLY heal, ONLY buff, or ONLY shoot her weapon at the same time. I feel like she was the first healer they designed, and it was good for the game at the time, but now this model is just outdated and characters NEED to be able to do multiple things at once to be viable.

KanameYuuki

It really sucks today for me, I do great at the beginning of the match and then usually after the second or third checkpoint I just can't kill anything.

It really sucks today for me, I do great at the beginning of the match and then usually after the second or third checkpoint I just can't kill anything.

Sometimes I find the reason this happens to me is because I've stuck with the same character throughout when I probably should've switched late game, like for example you're on a tear with them so you think why stop? except the opposing team are finally growing wise to your ways or bringing out the counters.

Anne

Was the recent change in armour gain partly responsible for this?

Kind of. He still functions the same as before, but the armor buff helps him out around the first fight. Support Torb is pretty good on first points where Lucio isn't a big deal. The only thing that sucks is past that he's kinda ass, and if you switch off to Luci oyou have 0% of a sound barrier and the other Lucio probably has his.

Oh ok lol, I hope we get some info on the new character really soon, hopefully sometime next week.

Btw these guys playing right now are really good. I don't think I could ever play on this level lol and for some reason the music for Overwatch reminds me of Warhawk :(

To be sincere, I have no idea what you guys are watching, lol.

Do you think it may have something to do with a possible counter pick by the other team? I mean not a counter pick to your play but one of one of your supports. Like I play really well with tracer but that's because of a Zen's harmony orb on me or me target Discorded enemy. So if someone counters Zen then in turn it affects the whole team.

KanameYuuki

Sometimes I find the reason this happens to me is because I've stuck with the same character throughout when I probably should've switched late game, like for example you're on a tear with them so you think why stop? except the opposing team are finally growing wise to your ways or bringing out the counters.

.-. That's what's been happening, I get gold on everything as tracer now that I'm learning and really getting into her playstyle but then they completely figure how to counter me and I just get a mental block and just don't know what to even switch to, and it doesn't help that lately it's been pro Pharrah and pro Widow happy hours.

Do you think it may have something to do with a possible counter pick by the other team? I mean not a counter pick to your play but one of one of your supports. Like I play really well with tracer but that's because of a Zen's harmony orb on me or me target Discorded enemy. So if someone counters Zen then in turn it affects the whole team.

It's like they completely figure my teammates and me out, after that first checkpoint it could have been like 4 mins and literally nobody gets a kill, maybe someone and I keep on silver on kills until match is over.

Anne

I think i prefer these short ones then the incredibly drawn out tournaments like nge, carbon and apex.

I like the drawn out ones since there is consistent daily content, and I don't have to dedicate an entire day to watching it. I also like watching teams changing from match to match, as well as the longer storylines.

The big weekend long events sprinkled in every now and then is nice though.

Jellie

There should be a short break and then group B starts actually. Groups today, finalists tomorrow.

Oh I assumed it was group each day for some reason. Totally forgot the next round. Probably cos I'm only watching to see Rogue so won't be watching after this game.

Anne

Can they not pick their character costumes?

Skins are disabled in tournaments due to issues with readability and certain skins having bad visual representations of hitboxes in game. Pro players love the skins too, but it's not worth having to fight something like Nutcracker Zen or the frog Lucio skins that behave poorly.

Nimby

Banned
I think i prefer these short ones then the incredibly drawn out tournaments like nge, carbon and apex.

I'm liking Carbon more than Apex. 6 matches vs. 4, still 2 matches a day but better schedule (also not at 6am for me either).

You don't get to see all the matches with AMM and that's the one thing that I don't like about it.

Jellie

Skins are disabled in tournaments due to issues with readability and certain skins having bad visual representations of hitboxes in game. Pro players love the skins too, but it's not worth having to fight something like Nutcracker Zen or the frog Lucio skins that behave poorly.

In the first or second game I saw bloodhardt I think. Definetly saw the chinese new year skin for hog. Guess they forgot to turn it off the first game? Was on Nepal.

Veelk

Banned

Only legendaries change the design of the characters, other costumes just really change the color schemes. Why not allow those?

.-. That's what's been happening, I get gold on everything as tracer now that I'm learning and really getting into her playstyle but then they completely figure how to counter me and I just get a mental block and just don't know what to even switch to, and it doesn't help that lately it's been pro Pharrah and pro Widow happy hours.

Tracer is definitely one of the top candidates for this event I think, when you've been successfully harassing a team as that Tracer all match long they either get wise or the stomp continues. Not helped either I find if you're on the attacking team and by default the defenders who may have been more staggered all match long are finally forced to group up at the last point, I'm not the best Tracer but I find these situations can be the hardest to break into and actually help out the team, especially when they're expecting you to be zipping about.

rulerk1

interesting. I remember you said the Rein skin with the axe is better because you can see more when swinging or something?

Anne

In the first or second game I saw bloodhardt I think. Definetly saw the chinese new year skin for hog. Guess they forgot to turn it off the first game? Was on Nepal.

Since skins have been disabled since, yeah I'm guessing it was an error. There are just too many issues to let it rock even in a smaller event :T

interesting. I remember you said the Rein skin with the axe is better because you can see more when swinging or something?

The hammer takes up Rein's FoV to an alarming amount. The Axe (and the wep on LNY skin) do so to a noticeably smaller degree. You can also see past the axe easier if you stand behind it. Not the biggest thing, but it is very nice to have and I use those skins so I feel less blind picking Rein.

Other skins have visual elements where hitboxes don't exist like Zen's hat on Nutcracker, or they change the silhouette enough to make identifying them much harder.

Only legendaries change the design of the characters, other costumes just really change the color schemes. Why not allow those?

Certain epics do too. Honestly I'd prefer it where they just banned out skins that affect play too much, but that can get really subjective too quick. Not worth the hassle, and just easier to disable them. I'm sure Blizz is trying to figure out a way to get skins back into pro games since that does affect their bottom line.

Ah I see, thanks I don't really know much about the pro play for Overwatch so it would make sense not to have costumes enabled if they affect play. Watching this makes me want to get on and play.

That music.........I miss Warhawk :(

It's like they completely figure my teammates and me out, after that first checkpoint it could have been like 4 mins and literally nobody gets a kill, maybe someone and I keep on silver on kills until match is over.

Yeah I get ya, when you play so well with one character (especially early on), it's hard to switch off but sometimes you may have too or alter your play a bit. Map changes also require a change in approach and how you play.

LiK

Overwatch Central finally did a Master Guide for Junk but most of the tips from Chro is what I already do from playing him a lot. The only difference in our playstyle is that I'm not much into using his mine for traversing the levels. I might learn to do that more. Seems fun. Chro seems like a very cool guy. Subbed to his YT outta respect and support a Junk main.

AbaFadi

Banned
Overwatch Central finally did a Master Guide for Junk but most of the tips from Chro is what I already do from playing him a lot. The only difference in our playstyle is that I'm not much into using his mine for traversing the levels. I might learn to do that more. Seems fun. Chro seems like a very cool guy. Subbed to his YT outta respect and support a Junk main.

Chro gets a lot of hate lol. There's a gm on ps4 named Cybded who only plays Junkrat. I see him using his mine a lot to get to higher ground and escape from enemies closing in on him. I think being able to maneuver around so much helps him win games.

Anne

I've ran into Chro a few times now, and he keeps chat disabled when he plays I'm p sure. Never seen him talk or respond to anything ever. I kinda feel for the guy since he is impressive on the hero, but I mean having a mute Junkrat that won't switch on your team is also annoying as hell.

Jellie

Saw it. Pretty impressive but I'm not gonna watch 20 minutes of junkrat gameplay.

It's pretty obvious why he has chat muted anyway.

AbaFadi

Banned
I've ran into Chro a few times now, and he keeps chat disabled when he plays I'm p sure. Never seen him talk or respond to anything ever. I kinda feel for the guy since he is impressive on the hero, but I mean having a mute Junkrat that won't switch on your team is also annoying as hell.

Pretty sure he keeps chat muted. He was on my team one time and didn't respond to anything anyone on my team was saying.

LiK

Chro gets a lot of hate lol. There's a gm on ps4 named Cybded who only plays Junkrat. I see him using his mine a lot to get to higher ground and escape from enemies closing in on him. I think being able to maneuver around so much helps him win games.

Saw it. Pretty impressive but I'm not gonna watch 20 minutes of junkrat gameplay.

It's pretty obvious why he has chat muted anyway.

Haha, exactly the same reason I keep messages on PSN to be friends only. All I got was hate messages before the match even started. I only use Group Chat too. I guess that's another thing we have in common. XD

Jellie

How come all the teams in AMM are running super dive teams with 3 dps and Winston but Apex is more 2-2-2 or triple tanks. Is it because teams at AMM don't have two tank mains? Like with Rogue they have 3 top dps so are playing to their strengths with soon akm and nico.
Also why were Hammers running Reinhardt in a dive comp? Wouldn't another dps, Zarya or Dva be better?

Haha, exactly the same reason I keep messages on PSN to be friends only. All I got was hate messages before the match even started. I only use Group Chat too. I guess that's another thing we have in common. XD
If your good with someone and your productive with them then I don't see the problem. I don't like to give people shit for picking a certain character, even if we lose a match. Hell I did attack Symmetra early last season and got a ton of shit so it would be hypocritical of me to criticize a pick.

A slight buff to Winston will automatically put him in overpowered category.
Agreed, I think lowering his critical hit box is good enough for now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
How come all the teams in AMM are running super dive teams with 3 dps and Winston but Apex is more 2-2-2 or triple tanks. Is it because teams at AMM don't have two tank mains? Like with Rogue they have 3 top dps so are playing to their strengths with soon akm and nico.
Also why were Hammers running Reinhardt in a dive comp? Wouldn't another dps, Zarya or Dva be better?

I think it's mostly preference at this point.

Might seem skewed too because both kongdoos and meta favour tanks, lh dive but they have a good zarya and zarya winston is classic as classic gets, and lw blue just has 2 godly dps and one of the best reins in the world.

It's actually impressive how Overwatch can achieve this state currently.

Anne

Korean teams have better teamwork and better tank players straight up. Western teams tend to have better DPS players and better playmakers. It's just a regional playstyle thing. The Koreans have proven how good trip tank is still, but trip DPS and dive is still good. Most NA teams don't have good XP using or playing against trip tank anyways so why bother messing with it if you aren't going to Korea.

Lucio/Rein with dive is actually still really good. It just plays spacing slower and is a bit different.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I do wonder if the west actually has the better dps players anymore. You see players like flow3r, whoru and saebeyoulbe and they are all insane on their Heroes. Flow3r especially is so good on flex. He plays mccree, mei, genji, tracer, hanzo, pharah, mccree, s76 all at their highest or close to highest level.

And i cant think of any support (with chips being close) better than ryujehong. And kr lucios seems more willing to be the playmaking skirmishers he can be.

cyborg009

Banned
Rise wasted a death blossom...WTF

If your good with someone and your productive with them then I don't see the problem. I don't like to give people shit for picking a certain character, even if we lose a match. Hell I did attack Symmetra early last season and got a ton of shit so it would be hypocritical of me to criticize a pick.

Agreed, I think lowering his critical hit box is good enough for now.

Did this happen or no? I would welcome that tho

darklin0

Banned
Winston's shield should have momentum in air instead of being anchored down the second you drop it.

It is the only thing I want changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom