• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 45 hours on Sombra and right now on Quick Play I'm at 149 wins to 187 losses with her. I think I can safely say she's the worst character on the roster. I understand where Blizzard was going with an "offensive support", but she works neither on an offensive or supportive level, and I think they need to give her a good push in one direction. Either make her do more damage or decrease her spread significantly and be able to actually comfortably win some 1v1 confrontations, or turn up the volume on Hack/Translocator and make her annoyance more of an actual disruption.

I don't necessarily think she's a bad character. Despite how much some people seem to bitch, I think her stealth camo is fine the way it is right now even with her "BEEN HERE ALL ALONG" being broadcast to everyone in a 500 mile radius. I had a game tonight where I did 25% of the team's damage as Sombra and lost, and despite bringing that to the team I still feel like I would be able to do more with another character with more utility, and I think that's her problem. Despite how well you can do as Sombra, I can't think of a situation where she would be the best character to choose because in every situation there's always someone better than her.

cyborg009

Banned
I have 45 hours on Sombra and right now on Quick Play I'm at 149 wins to 187 losses with her. I think I can safely say she's the worst character on the roster. I understand where Blizzard was going with an "offensive support", but she works neither on an offensive or supportive level, and I think they need to give her a good push in one direction. Either make her do more damage or decrease her spread significantly and be able to actually comfortably win some 1v1 confrontations, or turn up the volume on Hack/Translocator and make her annoyance more of an actual disruption.

I don't necessarily think she's a bad character. Despite how much some people seem to bitch, I think her stealth camo is fine the way it is right now even with her "BEEN HERE ALL ALONG" being broadcast to everyone in a 500 mile radius. I had a game tonight where I did 25% of the team's damage as Sombra and lost, and despite bringing that to the team I still feel like I would be able to do more with another character with more utility, and I think that's her problem. Despite how well you can do as Sombra, I can't think of a situation where she would be the best character to choose because in every situation there's always someone better than her.

What buffs do you think blizzard should give her? I still want a wall hack where my teammates can see my hacked health packs..

Watching Rogue's triple DPS on defence is so beautiful. Glad to see them tearing it up in the Alienware Monthly Melee with this new lineup.

This is a pretty good meta right now I feel like.

ISOM

Maybe you're just playing her wrong or not good with her? Codey is a Sombra main and he's top500.

You know, the one interesting change they could make with Sombra is have her go against all of the sound cues in the game. No footsteps unless on fire, few quips, faint teleport and hacking noises (no need to make it happen any faster). Basically, giving her a capacity to actually ambush people, rather than being a poor DPS, poor support, and a good ambusher when with another ally.

I dunno how big of a change that would actually be, but I feel like it could be a step in the right direction for such an ambush-oriented character.

Failed NinjaEdit: Step one for fixing Sombra is to patch that immobile teleport glitch, though. It's so annoying.

Veelk

Banned
I've been getting this really annoying glitch. If a match ends with the "point is being contested" beeper going on and the round ends, then the next round starts and the beeper is still going on and it doesn't stop until I die and then it resets.

antitrop

I beat Eissfeldt and SuperPlouk in QP, lol

I was Mercy

XJyvBdr.png

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like rogue's inflexibility (whether by choice or by their hero limit) is going to bite them in the ass on higher tier teams.

caesar

Banned

Shes definitely not the worst on the roster, what rank are you at? You need good aim lol.

What buffs do you think blizzard should give her? I still want a wall hack where my teammates can see my hacked health packs..
I mean, they could. I think it's a fairly innocuous buff and it would probably help solo queues a fair bit.

To be honest, I think Blizzard taking things very slowly with her is what they need to do. I think she's the worst character, but I also think one tweak could skyrocket her into overpowered nonsense. It depends on the direction they want to take her. If she supposed to be more of an offensive character, tightening her pistol's spread would be a good starting point. Increasing her damage would be dangerous territory because there are Sombras better at aiming than me and can do a fair bit of damage already. Lowering her spread would make it a bit easier for everyone to guarantee some hits with her while not making her some crazy assassin easily taking out every squishy left and right.

If they want to make her more of a disruption character, they need to look at reworking her kit in general. Translocator is a pain in the ass with that cooldown. Hack is in a good place right now I think, and stealth works well enough. The problem with her disruption is that it requires a lot of things to go right that neither you nor your team can really influence or predict.

So at the start, I think Blizzard wants you to set up a base with a health pack close to the enemy. Let's say you want to get behind the enemy lines and you're on Attack, you'd need to get past the choke which requires going stealth and praying to god you don't get hit by a stray bullet or, as it usually works out, an arrow through the head. While in stealth, you're moving exceptionally quick and it becomes more difficult to react to things, so you're essentially making a semi-blind dash to a save zone behind the enemy lines. While doing this, you may have to use translocator to get there, putting it on a cooldown where you'll lose stealth before you have access to translocator again. Assuming you're a master Solid Snake sneaker and made it behind enemy lines, now what? You could hack a health pack and make a base to translocate back to, assuming no one on the enemy team heard you decloak/hack/whatever which takes up more time because you're going to wait until you have hack and translocator off cooldown before you go in to attack. The other option is putting your translocator on your team's side, which has you constantly going into the line of fire to get past a choke to hack/attack, and keep in mind any little hit will decloak you and you'll either have to start attacking or translocate back and wait for cooldowns, so let's assume you decide to reorganize yourself behind enemy lines.

Alright all your abilities are ready to go, but wait half your team is dead and you have to wait some more for more of your team to revive, again hoping no one gets wise that you're Sombra and is probably lurking around somewhere. Team is now all alive and heading to the point, let's jump in and hack that Rein. Once you do, their team will turn around and see you. You can try to pump some bullets into them, but eventually you're going to have to translocate back. When you do that, you actually show the direction you're transporting to, so it's easy for the enemy team to make a guess as to where you are. If you're behind enemy lines, better haul ass that you don't get caught alone and murdered so you can maybe try again in 10 seconds after getting set up. In the meantime, while conveying to your team the entire time that you're going to get that Rein hacked and they should follow up, the off-tank Zarya jumps in with bubbles after he got hacked and your team is still held up at the choke with nothing gained.

Throughout this entire anecdote, you could have just picked Soldier and lay constant fire or Pharah and try to get above the enemy, concussive blast them out of formation, and 2 rocket kill the squishies or Tracer who can just as easily get behind enemy lines and has far better DPS and is less punishing to play. It's faster and easier for all of them to apply pressure or disrupt and you aren't weighing your team down as much when you fail.

maomaoIYP

There's an obvious smurf on PS4 Asia region leaderboards where he has no stats other than 16 hours of Sombra in S3 comp. He's top 500, so I guess it's not impossible either.

Blu(e)

I have 76 hours on Sombra and I feel like if they did end up giving her a damage buff or reduced spread I would shred through everyone. Her hacking is really good against tanks in general she is the anti stall character if you're dealing with 2CP maps.

People were also asking for more reduced spread / more damage for Soldier to try and compete with McCree and he honestly feels a bit much right now. I maybe wouldn't call him OP but man is he frustrating to go against.

I think Sombra does the disruption play currently really well. It's just not as visible as someone say straight up dying.

Veelk

Banned
I want Sombra to be a good hero, but she'd has the potential to be the most annoying character in the game, bar none. Her kit is everything I loathe. I'm still shocked I don't hate her, but that's only because she really is underpowered. I don't know how to balance her because an influential Sombra feels like she'd be utter hell.

I think if you put her hacking speed back to 1 second, but made it so that she's not interrupted, I'd be interested in seeing how that worked. Otherwise, I don't know what to do with her.

I'd like it if hacking didn't break stealth.

Maybe hacking health packs shouldn't trigger the cooldown? It's silly that you have to choose.

Anne

Even then, Codey only has about a 52% win rate with Sombra

52% is actually pretty good with a hero that difficult that relies on teamwork.

I'd like it if hacking didn't break stealth.

Maybe hacking health packs shouldn't trigger the cooldown? It's silly that you have to choose.

Both of those would be crazy strong. Having uptime on every medkit she gets near while also having the CD up to hit heroes? Would be insane. Could have like a reduced CD at 6s or so if she hits a medkit? That might be okay but it'd still be a pretty big buff.

Antiwhippy

Also christ almighty I would not base balancing on QP stats at all.

Half the time QP doesn't even feel like playing overwatch.

MartyStu

I want Sombra to be a good hero, but she'd has the potential to be the most annoying character in the game, bar none. Her kit is everything I loathe. I'm still shocked I don't hate her, but that's only because she really is underpowered. I don't know how to balance her because an influential Sombra feels like she'd be utter hell.

I think if you put her hacking speed back to 1 second, but made it so that she's not interrupted, I'd be interested in seeing how that worked. Otherwise, I don't know what to do with her.

I think the first step is actually nailing down her purpose. Even Blizzard does not seem to quite know.

52% is actually pretty good with a hero that difficult that relies on teamwork.

Both of those would be crazy strong. Having uptime on every medkit she gets near while also having the CD up to hit heroes? Would be insane. Could have like a reduced CD at 6s or so if she hits a medkit? That might be okay but it'd still be a pretty big buff.

That would make it one of the most broken abilities in the game.

You could limit her healthpack hack to 1 at a time. I think it would be fine.

Yeah, hacking while stealthed would be crazy strong, but it seems hard to do work with her right now.

ISOM

Also christ almighty I would not base balancing on QP stats at all.

Half the time QP doesn't even feel like playing overwatch.

And then you're playing hero that relies on teamwork the most in quickplay shenanigans. That's like saying Reinhardt is bad after only playing him in quickplay.

A couple other changes I'd like to see for Sombra, in addition to some adjustment to her spread/damage:

Her Translocator duration changed from 15 to 20 seconds
If you don't use the Translocator it doesn't have cooldown.

I'm not saying she's completely useless or anything. She has a fun kit that can cause a lot of chaos. I just don't see why I would want to pick her above everyone else beyond just really liking her playstyle or banking on the enemy team to be gathered enough to get caught in a Zarya ult for me to EMP or something. I like that she requires teamwork and strategy and she's a bit of high risk/difficulty to play, but I don't think the payoff is worth it and I think there's always another character that can bring more to the team than her.

People are divisive about her kit and, at the end of the day, I'm not really sure what to change to make her better for the community as a whole. Where is the line that divides difficult to master and underpowered?

Antiwhippy

EMP is hella good though, and honestly, unless you're a pro having to min max everything, character choice sometimes just doesn't matter. There are like top 500 bastion, symmetra and junkrat one tricks. Your teammates will probably be super annoyed at you, but in solo Q things aren't strictly defined by "what's the most optimal lineup pros use" all the time. Even in pro games you see a huge flux of team composition mostly based on maps, but also on personal preferences really.

NeoRaider

1. Decrease her spread. I realized that her DMG is not bad but it can be very hard killing heroes like Ana, Widow, Lucio... That's the biggest problem.

2. Like i said 10 times already. Increase translocator cooldown to 20 sec.

3. Make her less loud.

jviggy43

In my experience teams dont follow up on her emp, which she gets super fast and essentially guarantees a win in that fight (if, followed up on of course).

I said it before in this thread but im glad theyre being cautious with her, she is the type of character that could become extremely op if they push it too much.

Gorillaz

Sombra is flirting the line of being too OP and I think even blizzard knows this. You can't really do much with her kit without it throwing her into the overpowered tier. I'll agree with what codey stated as being her only real short coming without breaking sombra which is her spread but other then that you can't do much. Health pack havking could be a good one too but dangerous

She's definitely not useless this past week in off season (few times in comp as well actually) I straight up denied multiple mercy ults or shutdown tanks like hog and rein to sway the fight a little bit more in the team's favor. Sombra is too much a right time right place character and relies heavily on people knowing the meta and character match ups.

You can't really luck your way around the game with Sombra. Especially when your ultimate isnt as aggressive as her dps peers.

I always thought Sombra would be good hero to use in combination with a flanker like tracer. Especially if your front line is engaged. For an example, your on defense, and the opposition is moving the payload. A good team comp would be Soldier 76 (front line assault), Zarya/Roadhog (helps Rein hold the spot down and protects Ana), Ana (solo healer with soldier support), Rein (holds line, doesn't over-commit from position).

Tracer (I chose her because she can recall her health) and Sombra will be the flankers (positioned near a hacked health pack opposite your front line), their goal is to take out a pre determined target (usually support). Sombra and Tracer wait for the enemy team to engage, shortly after they hit the back line and together attack a single target then systematically work back towards their front line. The goal of the front line is to hold as long as possible. Again this is only one scenarios where I think Sombra can be successful.

Jellie

Gonna be a really crazy week. Opinions range from Bastion is too crazy and he'll be a requirement to meh whatever. I really don't have a clue anymore what to expect.
I might have to avoid playing for a while. It's just going to be protect the bastion games.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
What if Sombra could cancel her beacon without using it, so she could start its cooldown faster without ceding ground? Would that be too strong? I don't play her very much, but it's always a nuisance waiting for a beacon to expire that I don't end up needing.

NeoRaider

^ I usually use it even if i don't have to, just to start the cooldown and have it ready again. It's really bad.

I always thought Sombra would be good hero to use in combination with a flanker like tracer. Especially if your front line is engaged. For an example, your on defense, and the opposition is moving the payload. A good team comp would be Soldier 76 (front line assault), Zarya/Roadhog (helps Rein hold the spot down and protects Ana), Ana (solo healer with soldier support), Rein (holds line, doesn't over-commit from position).

Tracer (I chose her because she can recall her health) and Sombra will be the flankers (positioned near a hacked health pack opposite your front line), their goal is to take out a pre determined target (usually support). Sombra and Tracer wait for the enemy team to engage, shortly after they hit the back line and together attack a single target then systematically work back towards their front line. The goal of the front line is to hold as long as possible. Again this is only one scenarios where I think Sombra can be successful.

I usually have great matches with Sombra when i have Mei or Zarya by my side. Or Winston.
But most of the time i am alone... :/

Big Nikus

When can we expect more Efi/Doomfist/Anchora/whatever crazyness ?
I haven't any time to play these days because of work but I enjoy the teasing and theories :D

Blues1990

When can we expect more Efi/Doomfist/Anchora/whatever crazyness ?
I haven't any time to play these days because of work but I enjoy the teasing and theories :D
Overwatch's first anniversary is coming up, so I'm speculating that we are going to get a PvsE Omnic Crisis-themed game mode with the original Overwatch Strike Team (with their respective origins skins enabled by default). Also, Torb, Reinhardt, & McCree will get their respective origins skins from this event, 1000 credits apiece.

Big Nikus

Overwatch's first anniversary is coming up, so I'm speculating that we are going to get a PvsE Omnic Crisis-themed game mode with the original Overwatch Strike Team (with their respective origins skins enabled by default). Also, Torb, Reinhardt, & McCree will get their respective origins skins from this event, 1000 credits apiece.

That would be amazing. I regret missing the launch of the game but I wasn't really into multiplayer games. Overwatch (and Rocket League) changed everything. I can't wait to see what they have in store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom