• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Tracer will win a straight-up 1v1 with ease, but if Sombra sees her first—or Tracer doesn't sustain fire on Sombra because she's distracted—it's over.

Watching a Tracer or Genji flounder without blink or dash is pretty hilarious, tbh.

Yea, I believe Sombra is a super hard counter to Genji and Tracer. They need their abilities.
Honestly I'm more than okay with this, Genji and Tracer can just really mess with less skilled or new players so damn easily.
To this day some of my friends who I've been playing with since the console beta still get in a right state when Tracer and Genji are running wild.

While Genji has always had a particular hard counter in Winston (now that's when I LOVE seeing the desperate deflect) Tracer I've always found tougher to nail down, sometimes my friends ask me how to best counter her and I'm kinda stuck with what to say, typically I say McCree flashbang.
I do tend to find when playing Tracer myself I get irked by jammy Hanzos (75% of the time I don't believe they planned that damn headshot!), scattering Junkrats and sometimes torb's turret in a tricky spot.

So yeah I'm quite happy with Sombra adding an extra role to countering these two, plus she's kinda screwed if the hack is interrupted.

It's kind of mean to the person who thinks they got it, lol.

In my match it was a Bastion whose team trash talked him all game for playing the character. So when he thought he got PotG he was popping off.

I've only seen the hack highlight go off three times and I was the victim in two of them, it hurts man.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I mean it's not like getting beat in other competitive games is a grand time either. Unless you lean that way. I won't kink shame.

Take fighting games for example, there's a ton of unfair tech out there that basically means you might as well put down your controller once somebody landed a hit on you.
Haha, that's why I don't like fighting games that much either.

I think losing to some characters is less frustrating than others. I mean, if a widow headshotted me from really far away when I was juking around and stuff, then that was a genuinely good shot. I can respect that.

But a Mei/McCree/Symmetra dropping down on you where you know it has a pretty good chance of happening, and yet you have to stick with your team even though you know it's risky, and you're not on a character who is really equipped to deal with that? That's not fun.

pizzacat

Banned
That happened to me as mccree yesterday and someone on chat said rekttt even though I was stopping sombra everytime she'd try to flank since she's basically tracer

Woo-Fu

Banned
Sombra also eats Zenyatta alive. Stealth in, hack him, easy kill. As a Zen player she's the only hero that can make me change class because I'm dying over and over again.

Unless I'm sitting in the back pocket of another hero with some form of crowd control who is specifically waiting/watching for Sombra she wins that fight every time.

LiK

Yea, Sombra can outgun a lot of heroes too cuz of her ammo count. I'm thinking of playing her more in QP in the future to get used to her abilities more. She's pretty deadly.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Has Blizzard ever explained how the game has a dwarf in it?
I'm pretty sure Blizzard is psychologically incapable of making an old builder-type guy who doesn't resemble a dwarf.

They did that in Wings of Liberty too. No dwarfs in the starcraft universe, but let's make the engineer guy look and talk like a dwarf anyway.

Symphonic

Has Blizzard ever explained how the game has a dwarf in it?

dannydevitodancing.gif

LOL @ Danny DeVito.

We have a talking ape scientist from the moon and you guys are questioning the existence of a dwarf.
A talking ape scientist is very sci-fi, but Torb incorporates a fantasy aspect that makes me wonder how much fantasy is in the world of Overwatch. Are there Night Elves? Orcs? Etc. I don't think Torb is inherently strange in the game, but it's strange that we ONLY have Torb.

Regardless of whether Season 4 starts this week or next, or in a few...I want to practice my Soldier so I have a bit more to offer teams in Season 4. *sees Overwatch is downloading a patch in preparation* IRoll on hero 24..

Cappa

Banned
LOL @ Danny DeVito.

A talking ape scientist is very sci-fi, but Torb incorporates a fantasy aspect that makes me wonder how much fantasy is in the world of Overwatch. Are there Night Elves? Orcs? Etc. I don't think Torb is inherently strange in the game, but it's strange that we ONLY have Torb.
For the last time he's Swedish!

Vitanimus

The delay with coming out of stealth just makes a lot of encounters more awkward than they need to be since there are so many flags for the enemy team to listen out for that make it really easy to shutdown any plans you had. I can understand why they don't want to give Sombra too much utility in nabbing easy kills but it shouldn't be a struggle to kill a static Widow.

LiK

Soldier is def now one of my go-to mains for Comp. I am quite proficient with him even more than last season. Altho the Bastion buff will probably give me an alt in case other people pick him.

He sprouted from the soil in Route 66.

so he's a plant

TruLLfz.gif

The delay with coming out of stealth just makes a lot of encounters more awkward than they need to be since there are so many flags for the enemy team to listen out for that make it really easy to shutdown any plans you had. I can understand why they don't want to give Sombra too much utility in nabbing easy kills but it shouldn't be a struggle to kill a static Widow.

BEEN HERE

ALL ALONG

Owzers

Soldier is def now one of my go-to mains for Comp. I am quite proficient with him even more than last season. Altho the Bastion buff will probably give me an alt in case other people pick him.
I'm curious if I'll be an awful bastion, pharah is definitely my best dps but I'm not quite sure if I'll comp her, definitely not over biscuits pharah and I think nd is better too. Luckily I'm a pro Mercy.

Torb is just a small guy. Yes, he incorporates fantasy dwarf aspects (the beard, the knack for engineering, the armour stuff), but that's stuff he could do on his own. Given the exaggerated proportions and depictions of humans in the game (I mean, we have a purple-skinned lady!), I wouldn't be surprised if Torb is supposed to be simply a really small guy, or he might be suffering dwarfism; Blizzard seems very keen on not only representing ethnic, gender and sexual diversity, but also has several disabled characters. Someone should ask Micheal Chu about that some time. Either way, if I was that short/stout, I would probably full on embrace that shit myself and style myself as a fucking Gimli too, so I can't fault Torb for doing it.

Also, in regards to Torb's design, it seems that had been hammered out and settled on very early into the development of the game. After all, most of the promotional artwork with the characters show him front and center, his design already pretty much how it ended up in the final game. It's possible that Blizzard originally intended the characters to be a lot more exaggerated than they ended up being (I mean, one of the concepts was a woman tied into a spider-mech shooting lasers out of her mouth, and Roadhog was supposed to be a radioactively enhanced mutant), and Torb's size and dwarvish design simply is a leftover from that period of time.

I want to buy Azucar but these last few events having me shell out 3000 credits for the one costume I really wanted make me want to hoard for future events.

exYle

LOL @ Danny DeVito.

Bonjour.

finalflame

If you're implying Widowmaker is an elf -- she's purple because her heart rate was slowed to the point where she feels almost no emotion except after killing someone, and the slowed circulation causes her blue/purple skin discoloration.

She was given extensive training in the covert arts, and then her physiology was altered, drastically slowing her heart, which turned her skin cold and blue and numbed her ability to experience human emotion. Amélie was gone.

Source: her bio on Overwatch.com

Is it best to jump in from day one on these seasons, or wait a few days for the popularity to die down?

It's probably better to wait a week or so until the initial placements are done so you don't get matched with the top of the top players or low-ranking shit players
like myself
during placements that might drag your initial placement down or inflate it.

Grief.exe

It's probably better to wait a week or so until the initial placements are done so you don't get matched with the top of the top players or low-ranking shit players
like myself
during placements that might drag your initial placement down or inflate it.

There's still likely an internal MMR that guides match making, they won't just throw everyone into a pot and stir.

Ambient80

If you're implying Widowmaker is an elf -- she's purple because her heart rate was slowed to the point where she feels almost no emotion except after killing someone, and the slowed circulation causes her blue/purple skin discoloration.

Damn, Widow has seen some shit.

Is it best to jump in from day one on these seasons, or wait a few days for the popularity to die down?

Assuming the ptr changes will go live when the new season starts I have my doubts about the quality of the games in the first few days. I bet there's gonna be a lot of people trying the "new" bastion in comp placements, tilting the rest of the team in the process lol.

Thank god Horizon is right there, I'm in need of a OW break.

Gorillaz

I waited a week in season 3. Imma let the dust settle gonna do it again

Way to much fuckery at the start of a season. I'm good.

Edit:if the bastion change is launching with s4 no way in he'll I'm touching it week one. Return of the bastion mains. Yea I'm good.

exYle

Yeah, and Torb's Swedish. Not a dwarf. Duh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom